Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
David (Fresh Baked) on his thursday show seemed to be under the impression that Disneyland would be open on July 1st. Maybe we’re not hearing much news from DLR, but with how California is running with their phases, I think DLR being opened in the beginning of July is more of a pipe dream than WDW being open by then.

Would have agreed with you , but it seems that Gov. Newsom has done a 180 this week. Earlier this week he said no pro sports until 2021 probably and then a few days later pro sports can start the first week in June (without fans of course), July 1st for DL is possible.

Last edited:
I’m sorry but where are you seeing Disney saying they’re “confident” about a June opening?
Sorry meant Universal at this time, but Disney is confident with Disney Springs or they wouldn't have opened and next week will most likely say the same thing to the task force about the parks

Sorry meant Universal at this time, but Disney is confident with Disney Springs or they wouldn't have opened and next week will most likely say the same thing to the task force about the parks
I’d say replace “confident” with “hopeful” and we can agree to disagree on the rest before we get deleted

I was thinking about how UO will not be mixing parties/using single rider lines and it makes me hopeful that WDW stops doing this all together. I hate that they make you mix parties on Mine Train specifically. Those cars are a tight fit and I am sick of having boring strangers ruining my ride photos. :duck:

If Disney opens with only limited capacity, that will likely prevent those with AP from being able to possibly get in at various times. Having unlimited visits is why we bought an expensive AP. I wonder if Disney will factor this in with extending the annual pass expiration dates or allowing a refund for the remainder of the pass. This also doesn't take into account that only a partial Disney experience will be provided, making the AP even less valuable.

An interesting morning here. We have never been to UO. We are totally all in and loyal to WDW. Like the complete immersive experience of being on Disney property. No desire to put down what I don’t know of. Just seems to me WDW has lots more moving parts. For example the ADR situation is going to be a complete nightmare imho. How to manipulate all those reservations to work within capacity limits? Ouch. Again I have no knowledge of UO, but do they have anywhere near the number of TA eateries? Also as far as UO being a locals park it would certainly appear they are kind of declaring themselves as such by announcing park plans without resort plans. I get that they are all third party but by declaring park date without resort dates sort of implies they don’t see them as vital to the bottom line, no?
No way WDW could announce a park plan without a resort plan. So that takes more time. Even if parks are opening initially without resorts.
Also I think the NBA issue is huge in the reopen scenario. I do not think bringing in the NBA will cause any issues to opening parks/hotels. But there will be logistic concerns to work out. And also they have a huge interest in the NBA coming back due to the ESPN situation. If they get the influx of revenue from the NBA it may influence their capacity in that they can set that capacity in combination with NBA influx to make the numbers work. Something UO does not have to consider. NBA has said they will release info on restart on or around June 1.
Lastly capacity limits will be a thing. Just a reality to the current situation. Too political to avoid looking like you are disregarding this safety protocol. All of this factored in I see some sort of opening on or around 7/1
Universal has nowhere near the table service eateries and we've never had trouble just walking in day of. There's no need to book them anywhere close to 180 days out.

Any chance Disney opens before June 22nd? We have Copper Creek booked with points June 22nd- July 1st and if not I need to move it to July while there is still availability.
I realize no one knows for certain I just wanted opinions. If we do move it to July it will be to OKW because almost everything else is booked.
My son loves Copper Creek and I just hate to lose it. What should I do?
Thanks!!
We were June 7-17, DVC split stay AKL/BWV 2bdrm villa-5 nights each. I had been checking availability in August for the last few weeks, just in case. It was looking like SSR or OKW for us, too. Then AKL showed some availability. Then Boulder ridge. Then some others-things kept changing, you get the picture. Then yesterday they pulled the park dates and our ADRs for the first part of the trip. Yesterday was the first time I had seen more than 2 days available at BWV for or preferred backup dates (8/2-12). We ended up being able to book the same split stay as we had originally, which was a very pleasant surprise. I will add that DVC did not cancel my reservation and would not have until about 7 days before the trip date. I had borrowed just over 50% of the points for this trip, but because I booked before the shutdown, they were grandfathered in.

All that being said, I would hold out for June 22. I think they'll be ready by then. If not, there is still a chance you could still rebook to what you want. Just keep checking.

If Disney opens with only limited capacity, that will likely prevent those with AP from being able to possibly get in at various times. Having unlimited visits is why we bought an expensive AP. I wonder if Disney will factor this in with extending the annual pass expiration dates or allowing a refund for the remainder of the pass. This also doesn't take into account that only a partial Disney experience will be provided, making the AP even less valuable.

I think this is one of the driving things that will cause the capacity limits to go away rather soon and like others described Disney will not be anywhere near capacity for a while regardless.

I think this is one of the driving things that will cause the capacity limits to go away rather soon and like others described Disney will not be anywhere near capacity for a while regardless.

What capacity do they usually run at? That would help me better think about capacity limits. If the parks are usually at 70%, then a cap at 50% isn’t a huge deal breaker.

Thank you for this. I've seen Facebook posts from family worried about this media hype over this and when I looked into myself I saw the same information your husband gave you. This is why I don't listen to the media, they are only concerned with ratings. I have little concern over bringing my 3 toddlers to WDW because of what I have learned from listening to health professionals.
You have 3 toddlers at the same time!! I just have one & oh goodness quarantine has been fun!

What capacity do they usually run at? That would help me better think about capacity limits. If the parks are usually at 70%, then a cap at 50% isn’t a huge deal breaker.

Only guesses at this time, Disney keeps that info close to the vest, on the earnings call this month Chapek mentioned some numbers for Shanghai and that was one of the first time Disney has mentioned any park capacity numbers publicly. Seeing how rarely they go into closure phases they don't hit capacity often even though it feels like it sometimes in front of Small World and Peter Pan.

An average day at MK is about 55k to 57k. Most believe the capacity to be around 90k (maybe a bit under). So an average day is about 60% of max capacity. In Shanghai, they didn’t say the exact number of what capacity they’re starting with but they did say the government was capping them at 24k out of an 80k max capacity (they were starting with a capacity “well below“ that number). Therefore, that government-required capacity is about 1/3 max capacity. This is at least was Chapek said on an earnings call earlier this month.

Of course, government situations and political environments are different here, but I’d imagine Disney at least will stick with the 1/3 benchmark for the time being. That’d put MK’s capacity at about 30k (which is just above a crowded MNSSHP). I wouldn’t be surprised if they started with something even smaller, maybe 20k, but I don’t think we’re going to even see an “average capacity” day at MK for quite some time (certainly not in early July lol, we don’t even know if they’ll be open).

Currently in Shanghai, AP have not had their passes "start" again but they are able to schedule & reserve times to visit the park. Shanghai wont officially start the clock on their APs until the reservation period is done. I would expect similar activity at WDW.

I recall in one of these thread the numbers thrown out were that 100% max capacity at MK (so when they are in phase 4 clossure) is 100k. A typical summer day (so not crazy crowded but not super low season) runs at ~65k ... so if they ran at 50% of the 100k it wouldn't feel *that* empty

I recall in one of these thread the numbers thrown out were that 100% max capacity at MK (so when they are in phase 4 clossure) is 100k. A typical summer day (so not crazy crowded but not super low season) runs at ~65k ... so if they ran at 50% of the 100k it wouldn't feel *that* empty
I thought I also read that the theme parks wouldn't be basing their reduced capacity on max capacity but on average daily capacity in the beginning. But in fairness, I could have dreamed that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter