Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I'm in the camp that Disney's mishandling this. I commended them for their swift, proactive decision making a few weeks ago, but the lack of communication when all their other competitors have been able to make statements is unbecoming for a company as large, experienced, and supposedly guest-centric as Disney is. It upsets me even more that they're leaving tens of thousands of CMs in the dark about their future and their pay as we approach a time when many have rent payments to make. Yes, I understand that there are many small business employees right now who are feeling that uncertainty as well but Disney is a multi-billion dollar business that surely can provide more clarity and guidance than it is doing right now. Just look at Universal. They've been upfront and simple about how they're handling this:

That took me all of 2 minutes to find online and I'm not a TM. Yes, Universal doesn't really have the same Union-related concerns to deal with, but clearly, Disney's unions are not "in the know" any more so than their CMs are. And then you hear from TAs and stakeholders, like @WebmasterPete and the Dreams TAs, and they're not really getting much communication from WDW/DLR either. Whatever the reason is, it's disappointing for a company that markets their customer service as Fairy Godmother-like.
I know this isn't a popular opinion here, but I'm in the camp that Disney's mishandling this. I commended them for their swift, proactive decision making a few weeks ago, but the lack of communication when all their other competitors have been able to make statements is unbecoming for a company as large, experienced, and supposedly guest-centric as Disney is. It upsets me even more that they're leaving tens of thousands of CMs in the dark about their future and their pay as we approach a time when many have rent payments to make. Yes, I understand that there are many small business employees right now who are feeling that uncertainty as well but Disney is a multi-billion dollar business that surely can provide more clarity and guidance than it is doing right now. Just look at Universal. They've been upfront and simple about how they're handling this:

That took me all of 2 minutes to find online and I'm not a TM. Yes, Universal doesn't really have the same Union-related concerns to deal with, but clearly, Disney's unions are not "in the know" any more so than their CMs are. And then you hear from TAs and stakeholders, like @WebmasterPete and the Dreams TAs, and they're not really getting much communication from WDW/DLR either. Whatever the reason is, it's disappointing for a company that markets their customer service as Fairy Godmother-like.

Agree 150%

I am willing to wait until we actually get something from Disney - maybe there are good read for the delay

But as of now, the optics aren't great and there are a lot of frustrated people

Their silence is surprising, and theres not much excuse for it. But not all of the park chains have updated us on their closures. Herschend, Cedar Fair, and Universal, among some solo parks like Lagoon and Hershey all have been upfront about not opening right now. Some of them are still playing it week to week, others have announced opening dates in May.

Disney, Six Flags*, Merlin (Legoland), and SeaWorld/ Busch have all yet to extend the initial closures, despite it being pretty clear none of them will be opening in a few days.

*Six Flags did send out a survey to pass holders about extending the closure but have yet to actually say its extended.

FS Orlando now accepting reservations from April 24, which has been pushed back from before.

There is no way Disney is opening in a meaningful way before Mid June.

Why would you think mid June? The flattened curve model shows it peaking until mid July. If you're going to close down until the infection/hospitalization rates drop, then you're talking January. At least as I read the graphs.

I rescheduled our April vacation to August - we were CL and bought the extra fast passes. Signature Services is only accepting emails. Anyone have luck getting a refund for the extra fast passes purchased? I’ve called Guest Services, Reservations, and Tickets and have been told to email them, and I have, but still no answer after a few days. Thanks all!

We had CL FPs for March 22 (actually were supposed to be at FoP today) and they just credited us back. We rescheduled the trip for June and have tried to do the same thing with the CLFPs, but the only contact with SS has been through email, and they said they'd talk to us when they reopen. Which doesn't give us a lot of head start on the 60+ folks, but what can you do?

But I would not expect to hear anything from them until April 1, assuming the place is back in operation by then.

We had CL FPs for March 22 (actually were supposed to be at FoP today) and they just credited us back. We rescheduled the trip for June and have tried to do the same thing with the CLFPs, but the only contact with SS has been through email, and they said they'd talk to us when they reopen. Which doesn't give us a lot of head start on the 60+ folks, but what can you do?

But I would not expect to hear anything from them until April 1, assuming the place is back in operation by then.

They’re not going to be open April 1, & you couldn’t pay me to be there in June. Any chance you’ve seen what’s going on in NYC right now? Other areas are starting to look pretty grim too.

Why would you think mid June? The flattened curve model shows it peaking until mid July. If you're going to close down until the infection/hospitalization rates drop, then you're talking January. At least as I read the graphs.
Gut feeling mostly. The charts show way longer, but Trump feels Easter. The half way house feels like mid June now.

Surely Disney will make an announcement today, the last working day of the week and not wait until people are packed and ready to leave on Monday, expecting a 1 April opening?

As with the person above who said april first, I wouldnt put money on may 1st either. That's wishful thinking.

I love wishful thinking at this point. It feels a lot better than just counting the number of days I've been at my house. My wishful thinking remains Memorial Day! There are so many different models right now -- it's hard to plan ahead (beyond the stay at home) at all.

I love wishful thinking at this point. It feels a lot better than just counting the number of days I've been at my house. My wishful thinking remains Memorial Day! There are so many different models right now -- it's hard to plan ahead (beyond the stay at home) at all.
Here in Ontario Canada the Premier of our Province is suggesting this will last til June or July.

I'd expect monday on communication from them.

Here in Ontario Canada the Premier of our Province is suggesting this will last til June or July.

In Virginia, our school was supposed to end June 5 and the buildings are already closed through then. Still, models aren't perfect.

I was one of the few who from day 1 of closure said memorial day and everyone said no way. Itll be April. Mhm. Now I'm actually thinking late june/,july based on some of the choices being made by the company, reading between the lines on some of the comments I have heard, and being realistic about the condition florida is in. Living here makes you more reality based to it. Everyone is talking about ny and understandably so, but florida is catching up quickly.

I think Florida is more likely to be announcing a 100 dead a day on May 1st then the park opening. Florida is only just starting to take off and with the old population could be hit hard. It's not a quick process of people dieing over night it takes week to go through the stages of getting it, symptoms , hospital, icu, death
Edit but would never be happier to be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter