Cruise Travel Insurance

moericus

Mouseketeer
Has anyone bought 3rd party travel insurance for a cruise recently?

I see AIG Travel Guard, Nationwide & Allianz from a quick google search.

I usually buy directly through RCCL. But the quote for our Galveston cruise was astronomical. Nearly double what I would expect to pay.

We chose Travel Guard for our upcoming DCL cruise because they offer a discount when you book through Costco. Seemed pretty reasonable but that could be in part because we booked so far ahead and didn't get the any-reason coverage.

Try Insure My trip . Com. They compare various companies so you can see which fits your needs best.
Denise

Cruise line (RCCL or DCL) is not the best option--more expensive than directly w/ the insurance company, less coverages in their plans, and often only cover the parts of your trip booked with them.
On that comparison website Insuare My Trip we found CSA Travel Protection www.csatravelprotection.com which has the best medical emergency transport coverage amounts, even in their standard plan. But what we really like is that CSA covers family members that are not traveling. My Grandmother passed away and we had to cancel our cruise last summer. CSA covered her and paid our claim.

I have used Travel Guard for all my trips. They have always been a competitive rate compared to others but the real reason I use them is because I've had to make a claim before and they were excellent to work with. Our flight was cancelled AFTER our cruise and we were "stuck" at Disney world for 4 days because of it. Paid out $1200ish for our 4 day delay and we had only paid $100 in insurance premium. Starting and filing the claim were super easy so since I know all that, they have always got my business. I've heard some horror stories of claims before (not from any of the ones you mentioned above, however) and it made me happy when ours was easy peasy.

We have always used Allianz. We have had to use the insurance twice, once because we had to cut a trip short and another time to cancel a trip. On both occasions Allianz was extremely helpful and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I was reimbursed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter