"Cruisin' with the Sod God" - 7/22-29 Double Dip!!

“Cruisin’ with the Sod God” – Day 7 Character Breakfast & 2nd Dip of Castaway Cay!!

The Mouse tells us he’s still so darn glad we’re here and that we’re not in rehab from all the Panama Hats consumed the prior day, and hey, there’s big doin’s yet again—come to my Character Breakfast!!! WOW with an early dining seating that Character Breakfast is EARLY---I mean SERIOUSLY!!! (Hah, just wait for TOMORROW—they really sock it to you on departure day!!) :coffee: Ours is scheduled in Parrot Cay for 8:00 a.m., it sure was rough getting those teen boys up to have breakfast with a bunch of Disney characters!! This was REQUIRED “Forced Family Fun”—I lifted this phrase from my DF Judy at work!! LOL!! There are many things in life that we don’t want to do, when you’re a teenage boy :crazy: that means MOST family things—if you have teenagers, you can surely relate. The 3 F’s come into play many times while on vacation! Dinner every night with the ‘rents and Character Breakfast were both mandatory FFF requirements on this trip.

By the time we got to breakfast, we still weren’t to CC—Yippee, our table (#10) is right by the window!!! Wow did it get noisy when we reversed and backed in!! Breakfast was GOOD (I’d heard all kinds of horror stories about runny eggs, etc.), but it was pretty darn tasty! I would equate this with a character breakfast at Chef Mickey’s—they all would stop at a table, sign autographs if you wanted, then you posed for a picture (Shutters crew only took ours with Mickey)—they waited for us to get our own shots in, as well, so that was really nice. Here are some pix:

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

Look at this cutie patootie--DF Janet & Mikes' DS Jack!!

IMG_2715.jpg

ParrotCaywithMickey.jpg

We got off the ship and headed to She Sells—we found out in the shops the night before that there would be EXCLUSIVE! TWICE THE MAGIC! MERCHANDISE! AVAILABLE ONLY ON CASTAWAY CAY! GET THERE QUICKLY! OK, so we are suckers and want to brag that we did, in fact, double dip at CC—bought a t-shirt for DH, and a tote bag for me—it’s a really cute design! Tried to get shirts for the boys, but they wanted no part of it. Headed to our fave spot at our little corner of the Family Beach (apparently where Bethipoo4 and Igbees were also hanging out)!! Bummer—the hammocks we were so spoiled with the first day were all occupado---oh well, c’est la vie!! What a gorgeous day!! Sunny, breezy and warm. Forced the darling children to pose in the water with the ship in the background for a possible Christmas card—that was sucking my will to live—they were not very cooperative--I’d rather stick pins in my eyes!! Apparently DFPM was having the same issue with her DS’s!! Oh well….(sigh)

We were in the water when a huge school of flying fish came right by us!! We couldn’t believe how many!! The group near us was trying to catch them, but I’m guessing they weren’t successful—those suckers were fast!! Then shortly after that a STINGRAY swam right up to us in the shallow water—keep away boys, that might not be a DISNEY (barbs removed) stingray!! Here’s our friend the stingray:
IMG_2773.jpg

Some of our gang (mostly Sod God's family) enjoying the beach:
IMG_2791.jpg

DS 15 and I had the Stingray Swim at Castaway Ray's at noon--DS 17 decided he wanted to parasail again, so he was scheduled for the 1:30 parasail, DH is just not into animals!! This was really cool!! First we had a debriefing to learn about the rays and what to expect--here's us getting ready:
IMG_2775-1.jpg

Talk about hands on!! Those rays just swam up onto the platform, let you "pet" them and then we all took turns feeding them--that was a freaky feeling! They kept swimming around us in the water, it was pretty weird!! After that, we got to snorkel with them, which was fun for about 10 minutes, when the salt water started getting in my contacts. Overall a very cool excursion!! DS 15 and I caught up with DH to grab some lunch at Cookies--DS 17 and his friends that were parasailing with him ate quickly and headed to Marge's Barges to parasail. We were eating lunch with the gang, when we noticed some very dark, large clouds--ruh roh....not looking good for the parasail. After lunch we headed back to our spot on the beach and there were the kiddos, parasail canceled. (That was a bummer--we were so glad he got to parasail the first CC day!) So we overheard a CM say that there were funnel clouds around the island--the lifeguards cleared the beach within a minute, I swear!! Everyone scattered and some went back to the ship, but we all headed to the sports pavilion where we figured we could take shelter and the kids could hang out playing basketball or ping pong.
IMG_2796.jpg

After awhile, nothing happened, so we headed back to the family beach where people were back in the water! The teens played volleyball, and we were enjoying the beach which had REALLY cleared after the storm warning. Time for a Konk Cooler for me!!! OMG it was sooo good, they floated the rum on top--quite tasty!! The teens headed back for their "repeat" banana boat ride (this one they LOVED--no complainers on board!!) and we lounged in the water. The teens headed back to the ship, and some VERY NICE woman took a pic of them with Capt. Jack--we are hoping she is a DIS'er and she can email us the pic --we put a little note under her cabin door with our email address--hopefully DS got the cabin # right!!

When we heard the Magic's whistle calling us back to the ship, we didn't want to go!!! We started packing up when we notice DF Mike's Costco cooler (it was a piece of *&%$, so he said he was leaving it on the island, like we left ours in the shower)!! Well, my DH decided he wasn't getting off that easy--let's bring it back to him!! So off we headed back to Sea Shells, picked up some VERY last minute souvenirs, and hung back so we all could be the LAST ones off of CC (DFPM currently held that honor EACH time we went to CC, but she was nowhere to be seen). So we walked slowly, let other people pass us, posed for pix, then told the CM's (as we were using our wet wipes, of course) that we wanted DFPM to hear them page us that we were still on the island. This was a stupid move in hindsight, as Capt. Thord overheard me tell the CM's that and he ushered us right onto that ship (dang it!!!) We technically WERE the last ones on CC, though!

Here's DF Denise (w/her DS Will 5), DF Lisa, and DF Pat:
IMG_2813.jpg

DF Hor-hay, DF Pat, and DH Kevin--technically THE LAST ONES ON!
IMG_2820.jpg

Dinner tonight was the "Till We Meet Again" menu and we were at Parrot Cay. Here's a pic of that cute menu:
IMG_2837.jpg

Look at this pretty cocktail!!! (Auswalt, my main man, thought I would like it--he was CORRECT!)

IMG_2844.jpg

OK, time to give DF Mike his cooler that he "accidentally" forgot at CC!! Hey Mike, I cannot believe you left this AWESOME cooler at the beach!! DH Kevin went to sooo much trouble to return it to you, it's rightful owner!! Look, Mike, there's ONE BEER left!! :rotfl2: (Guess this was a location joke, you had to be there!!) Mike TRIED to get the last laugh on us and actually put one of our luggage tags (we had Minnie Mouse (when DF Rick asked me, I told him, like a dummy) with our name and address on it and left that &%$# cooler outside of his door, so it would end up with our luggage when we picked it up at the port. In our bleary-eyed state that morning, we didn't even notice that darn cooler, since we only counted up the number of our bags--nice try, Mike!! Sorry DCL if you found that piece of *&%$ cooler (maybe at least he left the one beer????)

IMG_2841.jpg

This was the "It's a Small World" parade of nations show, and at the end they brought out the flaming baked Alaska. We handed out our tip envelopes to Silvio, Auswalt, and our head server (???) just in case we didn't make it to that god-awful 6:45 a.m. the next morning. Then we headed to get our Lifestyle pics taken--yippee, no line!! Here's the boys pic--love it!!:

Lifestyle-Boys-1.jpg

DF Christy's DD 15 Amanda was singing in the talent show, so a bunch of us headed to Rockin' D to hear her--she sang "Part of Your World" and did a great job!! Here's miss Amanda before the song:
IMG_2861.jpg

The boys headed to the final show, but DH and I decided we'd better start packing--luggage had to be out tonight and the room was a nightmare!! Plus I wanted to see the "Goodnight Kiss" in the Atrium at 10:15 (I'd never been to that)--poor Sompop waited patiently outside our cabin to turn our beds down but they were full of suitcases--we kept saying "5 more minutes!"--FINALLY finished packing and put our suitcases outside the door and headed to the Atrium--what a cute little show!! I'm so glad I went--when they sang the song "Now it's time to say goodbye to all our family" and the pixie dust pixiedust: exploded all over the place, I must confess that again, this marshmallow had a tear or two in her eyes!!

IMG_2882.jpg

To the gift shops for one last fly by, and what do you know, but the EXCLUSIVE! TWICE THE MAGIC! MERCHANDISE! AVAILABLE ONLY ON CASTAWAY CAY! GET THERE QUICKLY! was onboard----hmmm!! That was kindof funny, but I'm glad those who didn't get an opportunity to grab some of this limited edition stuff could do so on the ship. Then to Shutters where they switched us to the package deal to save us $$$ on our pix that we just couldn't pass up.

Headed to Diversions to watch the Pub show--this is hilarious (we had seen it on the Wonder in October, but this crew was funnier!!) Can't give it away, but it is definitely for ADULTS!! We sortof took over this couple's booth, who were very nice to share (there are a LOT of us!!) The funniest was when they all went in to change and the little "window" was open right by that booth--I thought DF Lesa was going to lose it, as she wasn't quite sure exactly what she was seeing--clothes coming off, etc.!! The couple that shared their booth with us were cracking up, especially when we told them that DF Lesa was the Assistant Principal at our Catholic Elementary School!!! After the show we headed to Sessions, where we all enjoyed a nightcap and toasted a wonderful cruise (I had my VERY FIRST Mojito--I guess now THAT is my new favorite cocktail)! :rotfl2: Headed down to deck 2 to our now very empty cabin where the kiddos were ordering room service. Here's a small group of them enjoying room service (with requisite apple juice!) on their very last night on the Magic:
IMG_2897.jpg

Our towel animal tonight was a snake with DS 17's "FOakleys"--here's Christopher with it:

IMG_2895.jpg

OK, yet another group I feel like we were stalking....

First the family beach, then the stingrays, NOW....

PUB NIGHT!!!!
Yep we were there too.....lol and have pictures.....actually, we were only sitting 2 tables from you...and boy do we have some good pics....LOL
Here's one...
Picture082.jpg

"Cruisin' with the Sod God" - (We gotta get off????? What's with THAT??)

Wahhhh----Mickey calls this a.m. at an ungodly hour, since we have breakfast at 6:45—he’s glad we’re here—big doin’s—(well, maybe for the cruisers arriving THAT day) and I do believe he said “get the he** off my boat!!” Hey now Mouse!!! We’re back to reality in Port Canaveral—we get ready, throw everything in our carry-ons, and trudge to Parrot Cay like we’re headed to the gallows….. :sad1: WOW did this vacation go by quickly, but what a wonderful time we’ve all had. We savor breakfast, fully aware that it is back to reality just as soon as we get home, i.e., no one waiting on us constantly and giving us WHATEVER we request WHENEVER we want!! I give Silvio and Auswalt quick hugs and thank them for such an awesome week, then hugs all around to those of our friends who actually made it to breakfast. Went to buy that last picture at Shutters and headed to the atrium and off the ship. (BTW, we easily made it to MCO for our 12:05 flight back to STL via rental car--this past week's recent events may affect that, though)....

IMG_2906.jpg

I’ve had so much fun re-creating our vacation through my trip report—thanks to all who took the time to read it!! :thanks: Michelle, thanks for all of your help with bookings and planning this third group trip—it just goes to show you that even a lurker can glean valuable info from the DISboards!!

DisboardLurker.jpg

I know that we’ve created even more family memories to hold onto that will last a lifetime (that DS 17 of ours will be heading to COLLEGE next Fall---aaargghh!!), and created even stronger friendships! Group travel is sooo much fun (that is, if you find the right group)—believe me, we count our blessings that we have!!

"Now it’s time to say goodbye from ALL our families:

Michelle & Rick

IMG_2396.jpg

Megan, Trey, Jake, Robbie & Bridget

P1010102.jpg

Drake & Nick
P1010103_edited.jpg

Ann & Rob

P1010094.jpg

Dave, Pam, Jake & Lauren

P1010109.jpg

M – I – C ---“SEE YA REAL SOON!"

Christy, Amanda & Taylor

IMG_2395.jpg

Denise & George

IMG_2397.jpg

Will, Amanda, Molly & Drake

IMG_2406.jpg

Molly

IMG_2400.jpg

…K – E – Y ---“WHY? BECAUSE WE LIKE YOU!!”

Lisa, Pat, Blake, Alex & Mitch

IMG_2697.jpg

Janet & Mike

IMG_2398.jpg

Jack and Will

IMG_2407.jpg

Kris and Keith

IMG_2399.jpg

...M – O – U – S – E!!!!”

Lesa & Jerry

IMG_2403.jpg

Drew

IMG_2402.jpg

Lauren, Abby & Molly

IMG_2434.jpg

2006DoorKeevenBDay.jpg

And we are Kevin, Nancy, Christopher & Nicholas

IMG_2417.jpg

Thanks Friends!!! It was a BLAST!!! XO Nancy:tink:

"See Ya REAL SOON!!!"

2006DoorLyons.jpg

DisboardHym8tnnce.jpg

WOW! What a fantastic time you had! I love the pics! You have a good lookin' family. I hope our upcoming cruise October 27. 2007 will be as good as yours! By the way, exactly what time of day do they have 2 for 1 at the adult pool? :smokin:

Thanks for reading, Vital!! You will have an AWESOME cruise!! It seemed like "2-fers" were at different times depending on the day--Margarita day was at Costa Maya from 4 - 5 I want to say, but Panama Hats (YUM!!) on sea day #2 was from 1:30 - 2:30--wish I knew how to find out for sure! Check it out next October, ok? I'll look for your TR! :earsgirl:

A truly awesome trip report! We read it waiting to book our Palos at midnight on the 90th day until sailing....! Thanks for helping us pass the time with a smile on our faces. :sunny:

Nancy, what a fantastic trip report!! And how nice to *finally* find out what the heck that Sod God stuff was all about. :thumbsup2 My family was right next to your room in 2530 and 2532 -- there were so many times I thought of leaving you a "hello from a lurker" note on that green sign (impossible to do while running after my 2-yo), and then it disappeared. But I get it now!

What a fun group you had, and what a heckuva trip you had together! I loved reading your detailed report...I laughed when you mentioned all the banana boat riders you saw out your window...what an awesome view of CC we had!

And I laughed :rotfl2: when I read about Sompop keeping your cooler iced all week. My in-laws, in the connecting room to ours, were very timid about asking for ice. On other cruise lines they'd been on, a big bucket of ice was automatically brought every evening. I kept encouraging them to ask Sompop or just leave him a note....toward the end of the week, they finally got up the courage to ask, and were thrilled to find their ice each night. Sompop was really great; I miss him so much (sob!).

One night, I couldn't get to sleep and decided to do laundry, which I finished at about 2 a.m. I saw your kids having their 1 a.m. snack on the staircase...they looked like they were having a great time, and yet they were pretty quiet. If they remember a 40-ish lady :crazy: in green shortie pajamas and running shoes, that was me! I walked past them several times. :laundy: I couldn't help remembering how I loved doing stuff like that (late night gatherings, not laundry!) when I was a teen; and I can totally picture my oldest son (now 9) doing that kind of thing w/ a bunch of friends when he's that age. One of the great things about a cruise!

Nancy, I loved your photo of the farewell character show in the atrium on Friday night. Do you know who the guy is in the picture who is wearing the white CM uniform?? Does anybody recognize him? I ask because we had a magical character experience the last night pixiedust: , thanks to a CM named Max (the character manager) who may be that guy. Wanted to show his pic to my husband, who didn't meet him. But I'm not 100% sure it's the same guy; just met him a couple of times.

Again, thanks for the great report. Your family is lovely, and I'm so glad that you and your group had such a memorable and wonderful time!

Chris

Great report! I can't wait for our double dip in
Sept. Based on you dinning room photos it appears that your Head Server was John Cunningham of Scotland. We had him on our 2000 cruise when he was just a server and he made our cruise. We ran into him on our west cost cruise and met his father who was on board too. We requested him for our cruise in Sept. Love reports with pictures they are the best!

Eric, et al--thanks for reading!! I hope my TR didn't put you to sleep and you got your Palo ressies!!!

Chris--we were NEIGHBORS!!! I know we said hello a couple of times!! You are not a lurker, you have an official DIS name!! :thumbsup2 That's funny you saw those kiddos enjoying their nightly room service--I REALLY hope they weren't too loud!! As for the special CM I don't recognize him--hopefully someone else will--I'm dying to know about your "Magic" moment!! Anyway, thank you for the very sweet comments!! Enjoy your babies, they grow soooo quickly!

Spectro is #1--thank YOU for the nice note--yep, I do believe the head server's name WAS John--he was around more than most servers...Enjoy your September cruise!! I'll look for your trip report!! (and your picture is a hoot!!) :)

HYM8TNNCE said:
"Cruisin' with the Sod God" Embarkation - July 22

It's here, it's here!! FINALLY after two years of planning, today is the day we set sail!! We set the alarm early to (try) to get to port as early as possible (I was shooting for a 9:30 departure, but we didn't QUITE make that!) My hair takes awhile (they don't call me HYM8TNNCE for nothing!!) ::MinnieMo and we enjoy the breakfast at the Marriott. (OK, RUSH through the breakfast--I was freaking out to get an early boarding number, as 9 of us still needed brunch at Palo, and I REALLY wanted to get that (DF Princess Michelle scored some ressies for our group 90 days out at 3:00 in the a.m. and I was supposed to get ours, but we overslept and they were sold out when we finally got online). Then that dang 60 day mark passed and I missed it again (time really does fly, guys, if you're waiting for your trip, it'll be here before you know it!)

My boys were doing everything possible to stall me, as they thought I was being ridiculous, but as teenagers they couldn't possibly fathom the importance of Palo Brunch!! FINALLY DH brought the car around and we were on our way! Wow that car ride is short!! DH drops the boys and me with our luggage, quick hugs to our DFs that we see outside the terminal and I make a MAD dash through the terminal! It is 10:15 a.m. and I am a crazy woman, but boarding group #2 is mine!! YAY!!! Ok now I can relax. To the Castaway Club line we go (DH is returning the car to Avis), I check us all in quickly, and we ALL get a lanyard with two pins. We get our KTTW cards and join our gathering/arriving friends. Our rotation is PLAPLAP--(this works well because our Palo dinner night is Tuesday, so we go to all restaurants twice. We go grab a cup of coffee for me and some snacks for the boys and all just hang out, chat and wait for our number--they call groups 1 and 2 together shortly before noon, we grab the boys, embarkation pic done, and we are announced!! I still get choked up when they do that and you walk on the ship for the first time--I'm a marshmallow!!

The four of us literally run to Rockin D' where a short line awaits for Palo ressies. A very cute bride and groom were behind us in their bridal mouse ears--so fun!!! So I obviously get the new guy at the reservation computer who can't understand that I need brunch for nine ANY of the two days (I don't even care what time!!) when P.J. steps in to the rescue!! DFPM (gotta shorten it!!) had already contacted DCL with a group request for dinner for our 20 adults (yes, the rest of our group was offspring....24 of them and they outnumbered us!!) and she'd asked me to confirm it since I was standing in line. Once P.J. found out we were the same group as dinner, he said no problem we'll get you all together for brunch --P.J. ROCKS!! We had the private dining room and the table outside of the room for BOTH dinner and brunch--make sure and contact DCL in advance if you're part of a large group!!!

So to Parrot Cay we go to enjoy the buffet--yummy!! The kids scatter, we all gather on deck 9 and dig in to a few buckets of beer (man, those bartenders loved our group!) :thumbsup2, check out our stateroom (2528, cat. 9) and before you know it, it's time for the lifeboat drill. We lucked out this year and our station was in Walt Disney Theatre--nice and cool!!! Then we head back to the stateroom --we meet our cabin steward Sompop, who is brand new this cruise and boy was he awesome!! DH asked him to keep that precious cooler iced up and handed him some cash for this extra duty and we had to force him to take it!! He was really enthusiastic and patient with us throughout the cruise--more on that later. We changed into our special red Disney shirts that we all bought about two years ago for the sail away! (We always wear matching shirts for the sail-away--it's tradition!!) Here's a couple of pix of our motley crew:

My family:

IMG_2198.jpg

Me and DFPM (oh and that's "Hor-hay" George on the left):

P1010012.jpg

Some of the teen boys:

IMG_2167.jpg

A bunch of scurvy pirates: pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate: pirate:

P1010034.jpg

And our group from across the ship:

IMG_2172.jpg

The party is great as usual, just waiting to sail!! The party is well under way, special sail-away drink in hand and that magical horn blows--we have still not left land!! Turns out someone's luggage was late (or something like that) and we waited for it--we finally waved goodbye to port and those awesome Mickey hands at around 5:20 p.m.!! QUICKLY changed for dinner (we had 5:45 seating--tough at times, but better than 5:30). Dinner in Parrot Cay was great, our servers Silvio and Aswalt (probably the best duo we've had yet). I cannot remember specifics but I had the beef tenderloin and it was YUMMY. DS 17 got the chicken wings and they were SO GOOD!!! We all had dessert (DH gets the Mickey bar EVERY NIGHT!!) then went to the Welcome Aboard show--it was really cute!! We were beat after that, so DH and I decided to crash--Sompop did a great job on our towel animal a really detailed lobster tonight!! We were woke up out of a dead sleep by DS 15 and his friend ordering room service at 1:00 a.m.!! This was their standard every night--curfew at 1:00 a.m. (my DS 17 thought that a bit harsh) followed by room service (always ordered in our room--phone RIGHT next to my side of the bed!!) but they had fun ordering a long list of food, and always 20 glasses of apple juice!! We were right by the elevators and the teens would gather on the steps there and eat QUIETLY, right??? (I honestly hope no one was disturbed....) Day 2 coming soon!!! :surfweb:
Glad to hear you had an awesome trip. We had sompop when we sailed on the magic back in 2004. He was awesome, we sailed in 5/06 and had somebody else who didn't compare to sompop. we are really smitten with him. glad you guys had the same opinion.

Nancy -- our "magical moment" happened by dumb luck. One evening, my 2-yr-old son and I bumped into a uniformed CM, who turned out to be the Magic's character manager. The CM, Max, remembered that Goofy had enjoyed meeting my son when they met at a photo op one time. So he (Max the CM) invited us to a very small character meet-n-greet.

My immediate family went, along with my husband's parents. There were about 20 characters there, and just 3 or 4 families. It was amazing!! There were characters standing around waiting to talk to *us*. What a delight to see my kids cavorting with their favorites, while their grandma had a nice heart to heart with the Fairy Godmother. And how funny it was to chat with Chip & Dale, feel a tap on my shoulder, and turn around to see Mickey standing there, hoping to greet us.

Just one of those lucky, and memorable, bits of pixie dust!! :yay:

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter