Cruising with Autism

madhug

Earning My Ears
I have just booked my family on the 5/6/06 western 7 day cruise. My three girls will be 7, 5, and turning 3 during the cruise. My 5 year old is severely autistic. We will be bringing an additional adult with us as an aide to be with her in the kids club. I am interested in hearing from others who have already been on the cruise with an autistic child. Anything that was particularly helpful or that you wish you knew in advance? :earsgirl:

We took my severely autistic son on the 7 day Eastern Magic last summer when he was 9. We did not have an aide travelling with us, so we were unable to leave him in the kids club....they did tell us that we could come in WITH him during open time, which I believe was in the evening. They had also expressed a willingness to give him a try (I even registered him) but my son loved the pools so much that I decided not to bother, since I would have been worried the entire time about whether or not he was okay. My understanding was that adults were only allowed in the kids club during the family time.

At the kids pool - adults cannot go down the Mickey slide, but I was able to walk Dennis to the top & my DH waited to collect him at the bottom. Lifeguards were very understanding. (and my DS LOVED the slide!)

Biggest lifesaver - my Maclaren special needs stroller. We couldn't have boarded (or disembarked) the ship without having a safe place for Dennis to sit....and we used itat Castway Cay and San Juan as well.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them! Have a MAGICal cruise - my kids are DYING to go back..... pirate:

thanks so much for the input. We have already notified DCL of her needs and the aide is approved to attend kids club with her so we are very pleased. Thanks for the heads up about the stroller and the pool. It's nice to know someone has made te trip and survivied it. :cool1:

:) I am glad that DCL approved the aide for your daughter in the Kids Club. Perhaps you'll be able to take advantage of the adult pool while your kids are busy - it is very peaceful compared to the kids pool and the family pool. A friend told us that we'd really missed out not going to Palo, so I hope that you will be able to take advantage of the opportunity as well!

I don't know about your daughter's diet, but my DS was able to get french fries at EVERY meal, no problem, even if they had to go to another dining room to get them.

Hi,
We're going on our first Disney cruise in July. My dd will have just turned 5 when we go. Although she isn't officially diagnosed with ASD, she has some traits that fit it. She is definitely developmentally delayed though, currently functioning at about a 24 month level. I have many of the same concerns as you. My in-laws are coming with us, so there'll be 4 adults to help with two kids which I know will be a lifesaver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter