Current Cancellation Timing

They also don't consider placeholders to be "new" bookings which is required for their early booking discounts and such when trips are released. Unless they offer you something significant to keep it, you're better off having them fully refund your money.
I agree with this. They'd have to offer something really substantial to make it worth letting them keep the deposit, and all the conditions that go with that. In general, you are much better off getting a full refund and just booking a new trip when they release the dates.

Sayhello

They also don't consider placeholders to be "new" bookings which is required for their early booking discounts and such when trips are released. Unless they offer you something significant to keep it, you're better off having them fully refund your money.

That makes sense. We got a very generous early booking discount for this trip. IIRC they were "limited supply".

That makes sense. We got a very generous early booking discount for this trip. IIRC they were "limited supply".
They are. There are a very limited number for each departure (sometimes it was like 3 per departure). And they are only available if you book within a certain period of time.

Sayhello

Hey All... I thought I would pass along this very tiny bit of info. We have ABD Greece booked for May 6 2022 and have been closely watching for any signs that Disney might (or might not) cancel this trip. Greece is still at Level 4, although they are working hard to open up to tourists this year.

My TA was talking to Disney today and, of course, there is no information on cancellations at this point. We did learn that our May 6 tour is nearly sold out, and there a number of subsequent Greece tours that are apparently fully booked and Waitlisted until the end of July.

Anyways, the info I wanted to share (at least coming from a Vacationista to our TA) is that Disney is "no longer solely relying on CDC guidelines when making decisions on trip viability". Of course, there is no info on how Disney is actually making these decisions right now. ;)

We are still torn on whether to wait this out and see what happens or simply cancel on our own and lose our deposits. With re-entry testing requirements still in place to get back into US and Canada, the risk of getting 'stuck' on our own in Greece is a bit scary. Since our 65-day window closes on March 2(!!), we'll need to decide fast!

Hey All... I thought I would pass along this very tiny bit of info. We have ABD Greece booked for May 6 2022 and have been closely watching for any signs that Disney might (or might not) cancel this trip. Greece is still at Level 4, although they are working hard to open up to tourists this year.

My TA was talking to Disney today and, of course, there is no information on cancellations at this point. We did learn that our May 6 tour is nearly sold out, and there a number of subsequent Greece tours that are apparently fully booked and Waitlisted until the end of July.

Anyways, the info I wanted to share (at least coming from a Vacationista to our TA) is that Disney is "no longer solely relying on CDC guidelines when making decisions on trip viability". Of course, there is no info on how Disney is actually making these decisions right now. ;)

We are still torn on whether to wait this out and see what happens or simply cancel on our own and lose our deposits. With re-entry testing requirements still in place to get back into US and Canada, the risk of getting 'stuck' on our own in Greece is a bit scary. Since our 65-day window closes on March 2(!!), we'll need to decide fast!

@KLondon did you get more information on whether the May 6 Greece trip is going?

Today was final payment day, correct?

@KLondon did you get more information on whether the May 6 Greece trip is going?

Today was final payment day, correct?

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, Mar 2 (Wed) was final payment day. There was no word from Disney on cancellations. Our Dreams Unlimited TA was talking to Disney and they indicated that most Greece trips are Waitlisted from May to Aug 2022. So unless something dire happens (e.g. surge in COVID cases), it looks like ABD Greece is a 'go' for 2022.

All that said, we decided to cancel our trip on Mar 1 (Tues). As a Canadian, we are subject to pre-entry testing to get on a plane back home (like the current US rules). With the latest Omicron variant being so infectious, we did not want to risk testing positive and getting stuck in Greece for an extra week or more. I'm not really too concerned about getting sick since we are double-vaxxed and boosted - it's more about having to suddenly extend our stay in Greece. My wife and I are retired so we would have no schedule issues with extending our trip that way. And we have travel insurance with COVID protection, so the cost of an extended trip would be mostly covered.

But... my son is traveling with us and a surprise extended stay in Greece would be problematic for his job. Another significant factor is that ABD would not be providing any assistance in finding accommodation (or whatever) should we test positive. Looking at all this, we decided it just isn't worth the risk.

Luckily, ABD is refunding us the entire trip amount minus our deposit. Our TA managed to park our deposit with ABD and we can simply put it towards a future trip as long as we book something within the next year. While it's a bummer to have to cancel Greece for the 3rd time, I feel pretty confident we'll get there maybe in Fall 2022 or at least in Spring 2023. Once Canadian travel restrictions loosen up (and assuming the COVID situation continues to improve), we'll look to book ABD again.

Maybe I’m overthinking this but I have an ABD river cruise that goes out of Budapest in June. My final payment is next week and I’ve already moved my trip once. Thoughts on whether or not this is actually going to happen with everything that’s going on in Ukraine?

Maybe I’m overthinking this but I have an ABD river cruise that goes out of Budapest in June. My final payment is next week and I’ve already moved my trip once. Thoughts on whether or not this is actually going to happen with everything that’s going on in Ukraine?
Unfortunately I doubt you will receive any information from ABD this early. We had a 2020 China trip scheduled and they insisted it was a go even though China wasn’t even issuing travel visas. It was super stressful and we lost our game of chicken. (Still bitter)

I don't think you are overthinking this at all, it's a valid concern. But I also, unfortunately, think it's pretty impossible to predict what the situation is going to be like 3 months from now. It's definitely a risk, but only you can say if you're willing to accept that risk. ABD would not run the trip if there is danger to anyone on the trip.

Sayhello

While I really don't want to see anyone's trip cancelled, I was cheering to discover that National Geographic has cancelled their trips on the Transiberian Railroad for this summer, and Disney Cruise Line no longer lists Russia as a port of call. We support sanctions, and I vote with my wallet.
Rick Steves has also cancelled all of his tours that included a stop in Russia.

Thank you all for your replies. I am hoping we find out before final payment. I know there are a lot of bigger things going on, but I would like to know before I have more money committed.

You might want to keep watch on their Poland, Czech, Austria trip which starts in Krakow Poland, and one has a Mid-!ay departure. That still shows as on, with the current early booking offer. Might give you an idea as to what might happen with their Danube River cruises.

While I definitely can understand ABD wanting to wait as long as possible to make a go/no go decision, but man, this is agonizing. We are on the June 23rd Rhine cruise sailing. So much has happened since we booked this in our lives, I've been hoping that they just cancel it. But not knowing yet whether or not this is a go. Very frustrating.

While I definitely can understand ABD wanting to wait as long as possible to make a go/no go decision, but man, this is agonizing. We are on the June 23rd Rhine cruise sailing. So much has happened since we booked this in our lives, I've been hoping that they just cancel it. But not knowing yet whether or not this is a go. Very frustrating.
We are on that one too. In January when the villa type we wanted at Aulani happened to come back available for the same time frame as the river cruise, we decided to pull the plug on the river cruise and go to Hawaii instead. I wanted something that I could plan and look forward to knowing it would happen rather than waiting on pins and needles to hear whether the river cruise was going and what testing requirements would be. Plus, we had two Hawaii trips cancelled in 2020 so we are looking forward to going back. We are playing a waiting game with the river cruise to see if they cancel before PIF or if we move our $$ to a placeholder.

I was just able to cancel my early June trip to Japan. ABD confirmed that I WILL be getting a full refund of my deposit. This was triggered by the vaccine mandate email that ABD sent out yesterday. If you want/need to cancel a trip, I would advise calling your TA or ABD and talking with them.

I was just able to cancel my early June trip to Japan. ABD confirmed that I WILL be getting a full refund of my deposit. This was triggered by the vaccine mandate email that ABD sent out yesterday. If you want/need to cancel a trip, I would advise calling your TA or ABD and talking with them.
Do you know if your TA had to say you weren't vaccinated, or objected to the policy, or did they just say "we want to cancel the trip"?

Sayhello

Do you know if your TA had to say you weren't vaccinated, or objected to the policy, or did they just say "we want to cancel the trip"?

Sayhello

I have no idea. I did not disclose our vaccination status to her. I only said that Japan doesn't even have a vaccine requirement for tourists at the moment, and I was concerned that, even if they do open in time for our trip, we may not have time to comply with whatever their requirement is.

I was sort of thinking along the lines of a booster and how long you have to be boosted for it to be accepted. We are vaccinated but not boosted. And, I didn't spell all this out, because I really felt like I shouldn't have to in order to get a refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter