Current wait time surprisingly low?

I’m here right now and crowds are definitely low. Right after the Tiki Room we got a Dole Whip. There was no line up at all and while we ate them we were watching and people didn’t have to wait in line at all. This was at 12:45pm. It’s a Small World was a walk on at 10am.

There’s not just one reason but many. Attendance patterns are changing.

The wayback machine archive reveals how summer rack rates and DVC point charts have decreased in summer and increased during fall. This has been shifting for years. It used to be just a fraction of guests researching WDW trips. The ability to do it on our phones was a game changer. Now it can be done anywhere, anytime.

It’s hard to prove any of this. One thing that does is looking how many more fansites there are year on year on year. They’ve been growing almost exponentially. And what do almost all of them have in common? They state: Avoid summer if you can! It is hot and crowded. If you cannot, here are our super special hints and tricks to make your summer stay the best.

Definitely, the summer slowdown started even before covid. I remember people freaking out over Disney offering free dining and steep discounts in the summer, which used to be unheard of. Last year was something of an anomaly because of revenge travel.

Also this year...it's always hot in July but right now Central Florida is the devil's armpit with this extreme heatwave. I have to imagine even people who are there right now are minimizing their time in the parks waiting in the hot sun for rides.

Definitely, the summer slowdown started even before covid. I remember people freaking out over Disney offering free dining and steep discounts in the summer, which used to be unheard of. Last year was something of an anomaly because of revenge travel.

Also this year...it's always hot in July but right now Central Florida is the devil's armpit with this extreme heatwave. I have to imagine even people who are there right now are minimizing their time in the parks waiting in the hot sun for rides.
I will say the hotel seems pretty busy. We are at Beach Club Villas and the main hotel has been pretty full of people, the pool seems fairly busy. So maybe people are here but not going to the parks as much?

I know it’s hot but honestly not any hotter than a normal July (in practical terms). It’s just a little weird.

Nope it is currently weather related …
We just had one round of thunder& lightning with more in forecast …

I can't confirm anything because I haven't been since April 2022, but there was a news item on my local radio station this morning that the average ride wait time is below pre-pandemic levels. And the culprit seems to be increased prices.

My family used to go to Disney parks 3 or more times a year. Not trying to start a fight, but the stress and overplanning killed it for me. We're going to our local Cedar Fair-owned park and Universal instead.
I don't think price has a lot to do with it. It might be a deciding factor, but I think there are a lot of other reasons. Crowds were lower in the few Summers leading up to Covid, and they were getting higher in the Fall, which years ago was the perfect low crowd time to go. There has not been a slow season at all since September 2021. Pent up or delayed Covid vacations, families splurging. I know several families who had not been to Disney in 10+ years or who had never been at all who visited in the last year. Maybe they're waiting until next year for dining plans or Tianas ride or for Epcot to be finished. There were busy and slower seasons pre-Covid. Maybe we are getting back to that kind of normal, even if the slow vs busy seasons have changed.

That said, I think it is less busy right now overall, but it is not slow like back in the day when we could walk on any ride in slow season. Small World has a 50 minute wait right now. Flight of Passage 130, Kilamanjaro 75, Slinky Dog 120... none of those are off season slow. Or slow at all if we are being honest. And these people are waiting in the heat and humidity and dealing with storms. That's enough to keep people away until Fall/Winter.

There has not been a slow season at all since September 2021.
May of this year was absolutely dead and it stayed that way until about the few first days of June. One night we were at Baseline and saw Rise was posted 5 minutes, we finished our drinks and literally walked right into the first preshow. It was like 6 or 7pm. And we weren't even there in the slowest point of May. Crowds did start to spike a little the last two days we were there (6/6 -6/7) but standby waits anywhere but the usual suspects at Epcot were trivial unless something broke down to affect capacity.

I just got my most recent statement showing my Disney stock is down. Not really happy about that but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The pricing for the parks, the number of times the rides go down, many of the controversial items that Disney has waded into IMHO are all contributing to the low stock price and low crowds in parks. At this time of year, I would also think that the temps in FL could also be a big contributor to lower crowds. For me it's just too hot to go into the parks for any length of time.

On the other hand, I'm hoping the low attendance also happens in Jan/Feb when I will next be at WDW. I know that is very selfish of me but it's also human nature.

I just got my most recent statement showing my Disney stock is down. Not really happy about that but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The pricing for the parks, the number of times the rides go down, many of the controversial items that Disney has waded into IMHO are all contributing to the low stock price and low crowds in parks. At this time of year, I would also think that the temps in FL could also be a big contributor to lower crowds. For me it's just too hot to go into the parks for any length of time.

On the other hand, I'm hoping the low attendance also happens in Jan/Feb when I will next be at WDW. I know that is very selfish of me but it's also human nature.
I honestly think it’s mostly a factor of a few things. First I think some of that pent up covid demand has gone away. Secondly I think the prices have maybe had the effect they wanted, maximizing revenue and keeping the park experience decent (full capacity at the park is not ideal for customer experience). Third I’m sure the culture war with DeSantis plays a part, there will be a sub set of people on a side of the political spectrum that won’t go to Disney anymore because they were told it’s too “woke” or they actually disagree with some of Disney’s stances in movies etc.

We were there from July 1-6 and were shocked at how quiet it was. It was actually amazing! We arrived at HS on July 4, about 1.5 hrs after opening and ROTR had a 5 minute posted wait time. That about sums up the crowds while we were there.

We were there from July 1-6 and were shocked at how quiet it was. It was actually amazing! We arrived at HS on July 4, about 1.5 hrs after opening and ROTR had a 5 minute posted wait time. That about sums up the crowds while we were there.
DC1F86D1-A234-4E4C-88D5-127748C5A76F.jpeg
Wow! Yeah 4th of July was a great to go. This is a comparison of Tues July 4 vs today, Tues July 11.

EAA52BC0-CB60-4B04-B736-40583194CD76.jpeg

^Wait times heat map from July 4

I haven't been in the parks but I was doing a monorail loop on sunday and it was pretty quiet at all 3 resorts. When I checked ADRs, you could get a last minute dining reservation for pretty much any restaurant you wanted on WDW property. The ones that surprised me to see were Ohana dinner and California Grill for very close to MK fireworks time.

I was staying over at Cabana Bay at Universal and the resort pools were insane. People were laying out their stuff along the walls due to lack of chairs.

The flip side is if you need to lower ticket prices by 20% to get 20% more people into the parks is that the right move? You could argue that the lower crowd levels creates a better experience and better chance at repeat business.
They definitely realized a few years ago there are only so many people you can squeeze into the parks without tanking customer satisfaction, so maximizing attendance isn't the answer, especially now when it's hard to fully staff the parks. That's when they shifted to maximizing revenue per guest. Which was started by Iger, but taken to way too far by Chapek, leading to many of the policies most guests hate. Park Res, no hopping til 2, no APs, Genie+, No dining plan, no MDE or luggage service, Parking fees at resorts, Date specific pricing, etc etc.

Some of those are being undone or modified, but I think the strategy is still essentially the same. They are just looking for ways to be a little more subtle about it.

I don't think price has a lot to do with it. It might be a deciding factor, but I think there are a lot of other reasons. Crowds were lower in the few Summers leading up to Covid, and they were getting higher in the Fall, which years ago was the perfect low crowd time to go. There has not been a slow season at all since September 2021. Pent up or delayed Covid vacations, families splurging. I know several families who had not been to Disney in 10+ years or who had never been at all who visited in the last year. Maybe they're waiting until next year for dining plans or Tianas ride or for Epcot to be finished. There were busy and slower seasons pre-Covid. Maybe we are getting back to that kind of normal, even if the slow vs busy seasons have changed.

That said, I think it is less busy right now overall, but it is not slow like back in the day when we could walk on any ride in slow season. Small World has a 50 minute wait right now. Flight of Passage 130, Kilamanjaro 75, Slinky Dog 120... none of those are off season slow. Or slow at all if we are being honest. And these people are waiting in the heat and humidity and dealing with storms. That's enough to keep people away until Fall/Winter.

All of this! I think there may be a good number of people waiting til all the announced 2024 changes are in place. So many people even on these boards said they wouldn’t return til park reservations went away, or dining plans returned. So if you like those changes, why would you go now, instead of waiting a few months. I also agree the crowd patterns were already changing before Covid. The fall was crowded & we even saw good sized crowds when we were there in late January.

Someone also pointed out that Fastpass seemed to have a bigger impact on stand by lines than Genie+ does. Maybe less people are buying that so the stand by lines are moving quicker. I’m sure Disney isn’t going to release comparison numbers, so no real data to go by. But it makes sense to me.

We were there last week too. Epcot & MK weren’t that slow on the 4th. And the hotels we were at were busy. I think a lot of people were in EPCOT & MK, or hanging around the hotel during the day & then headed in for fireworks. The crowds were there, just in other places than Studios on the 4th. Lucky you! We went to Studios on the 5th. Rise was not a walk on. Nor were any of the headliner rides.

Maybe we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time all of the time but we just got back from 3 weeks there (18th June - 9th July) and it still felt pretty crowded to me and I go that time of year every year so it’s not like I’ve never dealt with it before (aside from 2020 & 2021 due to covid restrictions not allowing us into the country). Especially at MK & AK. Getting around AK the two times we went was a nightmare with how narrow the pathways are and some LL lines were extended well out of the ride buildings at DHS & MK on some days which was pretty frustrating as a DAS user and meant I had to come back to certain rides a couple times to see if they’d quietened down so that I could get in line.

The parks weren’t as crowded as I’ve seen them other summers but they were still definitely crowded in some parts of the parks so from my own firsthand experience I don’t agree with some of the low crowds stuff being said. I was at MK on the 4th and left around 2pm and it was busy but not as busy as it has been other years. Sea World was absolutely shoulder to shoulder with people on the 3rd and took us 55 minutes in a sea of cars from pulling into where you pay to park to actually getting to the booth to pay. We almost missed our dolphin tour we should have made in plenty time under normal circumstances due to how long it actually took us to get inside of the park that day.

One thing I will say though is that we couldn’t believe how dead Epcot was on Sunday now that Flower & Garden is over and how easy it was to get around and look at stuff in peace. At MK on Friday we struggled to find anywhere to sit at CHH and it wasn’t even peak lunch time and all of the resorts we dined at seemed to be crowded as well (especially Yacht Club).

We were there just after Memorial Day, and it was definitely slower than I anticipated. We were able to do a lot of re-rides at rope drop. We did utilize Genie+ to avoid any lines, but I was expecting much worse. The worst time we went was Mardi Gras 2020 right before the pandemic shut everything down. Those crowds were insane!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter