D23 2022 News & Rumours

Covid affected universal projects too. Epic universe was halted for almost a year in 2020.

Moana is more tied to the future world redo. It’s not just a new attraction, but the entire central 1/3 of that park including several new areas.

I really don’t understand why people are so concerned with how long the projects take as long as they get done. Disney generally has something new every year, including 2020. That’s more than Universal can say.

2023 - Tron and Moana
2022 - Guardians
2021 - Rat
2020 - Runaway Railway
2019 - Rise and Falcon
2018 - Slinky Dog and Aliens
2017 - Flight of Passage and Navi River

Covid affected universal projects too. Epic universe was halted for almost a year in 2020.

Moana is more tied to the future world redo. It’s not just a new attraction, but the entire central 1/3 of that park including several new areas.

I really don’t understand why people are so concerned with how long the projects take as long as they get done. Disney generally has something new every year, including 2020. That’s more than Universal can say.

2023 - Tron and Moana
2022 - Guardians
2021 - Rat
2020 - Runaway Railway
2019 - Rise and Falcon
I saw this idk if it was on here or Twitter that was interesting

Attachments

• 21F623B8-5171-4501-8295-C2FA495DC646.png
    21F623B8-5171-4501-8295-C2FA495DC646.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 95

2023 - Tron and Moana
2022 - Guardians
2021 - Rat
2020 - Runaway Railway
2019 - Rise and Falcon
That's all in the past now. Last I heard Epic Universe is opening with 11 attractions which more then WDW is getting between now and when Epic Universe opens. I'm sorry but yesterday was the time to show they are taking Epic Universe seriously. All they had was 2 night time shows, a meet and greet and a bunch things that aren't likely to happen.

I saw this idk if it was on here or Twitter that was interesting
EU could probably use a few more cells, or one gigantic one lol. Anyway I’ll say what I said in the other thread, wasn’t expecting much but the “delay” with Tron is a bummer, I’ll be down in April for Springtime Surprise and I thought it would be a safe bet that Tron would be open, now there’s a good chance I’ll barely miss it. It might result in me spending a day at Uni (was planning on four days at WDW but I’d likely switch to 3+1).

That's all in the past now. Last I heard Epic Universe is opening with 11 attractions which more then WDW is getting between now and when Epic Universe opens. I'm sorry but yesterday was the time to show they are taking Epic Universe seriously. All they had was 2 night time shows, a meet and greet and a bunch things that aren't likely to happen.

I think over the last few years Universal has done really well with the new offerings. The period where it was just all screen rides going up was a mistake that they appear to be trying to correct that with Hagrids and Velocicoaster. As a side note, Bourne Stuntacular is a must do for us and is a underrated gem in my opinion.

I do think Universal with a new park can make an larger impact on the average 6/7 night family vacations to complete against Disney provided they do it properly. My thoughts are that they will offer nice room/ticket packages to make it a full week destination. 3 parks plus an awesome water park would make me feel better about staying a full week on property instead of the 2/3 nights we would normally book when doing Universal.

Because the Moana/Future World construction is an eyesore and an inconvenience taking up the whole center of the park. It's not a great experience walking through all those construction walls.

2023 - Tron and Moana
2022 - Guardians
2021 - Rat
2020 - Runaway Railway
2019 - Rise and Falcon

Because they continue to charge full price and increase prices when significant parts of the park are closed? The time for the Epcot entrance redo has been an embarrassment.

Interesting that they keep using COVID as an excuse for not doing things when it was the perfect time to actually do things.

Money was cheap at the time and they could have loaded up pushed forward.

Again, what happened at the other place? New roller coaster and new gate being built.

5 years for Tron. A ride they already built in another park.

5 years for Tron, a ride that 100000% needs to open before they close Splash. They can't afford to lose that capacity at mk without drastically reducing attendance.

Money might have been cheap but cast members health is an important consideration. Ppl have to plan and build these things you know. Are you saying ppl should have been building a roller coaster for entitled park goers while said park goers where safe at their homes from a pandemic??

I mean the alternative to.them not working Led to the staffing issues that exist now, so doesn't that say they wanted to work instead of being furloughed?

EU could probably use a few more cells, or one gigantic one lol. Anyway I’ll say what I said in the other thread, wasn’t expecting much but the “delay” with Tron is a bummer, I’ll be down in April for Springtime Surprise and I thought it would be a safe bet that Tron would be open, now there’s a good chance I’ll barely miss it. It might result in me spending a day at Uni (was planning on four days at WDW but I’d likely switch to 3+1).
Agreed. They make it look even more one-sided given an entire new park just one cell. If they're going to do that then Disney's lands (like Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land) should only be one cell and not separate for each attraction. And even then that would equate to 4 (or 5 if you count the hub) cells for Epic Universe. This is also assuming that Universal will not open anything between the Minion's attraction and Epic Universe.

I think the extended construction timelines are what really hurt Disney in regards to new attractions. They announce them so far out so the wait seems even longer for them to open. For instance, Tron was announced in 2017, broke ground in 2018, and will finally open in 2023. That 6 years from announcement and 5 years for construction. Velocicoaster broke ground in 2019, announced 2020, opened 2021. So 2 years from start to finish with less than one year from announcement to opening.
They've had even faster turnaround like Transformers where the site started demolition of previous buildings starting June 2012 and the new ride opening June 2013. So one year to clear existing structures, build anew ones, add theming, test and open. Similarly Ratatouille was announced 2017 and began construction later that year and finally opened 4 years later at the end of 2021. It did have some additional facades and food stand but not enough to warrant 3 more years compared to similar ride at Universal.

Some interesting announcements at todays panels.

The biggest announcement of “What’s beyond Big Thunder” including Coco, Encanto and Villians areas is going to be a major addition to Magic Kingdom. In a way I believe this is Disneys response to Epic Universe. Instead of a whole new park Disney is expanding into a new land or multiple new lands. This allows them to utilize Magic Kingdoms existing transportation system and infrastructure instead of rebuilding all of it for a new park. This also probably makes it easier to expand with the possible demise of the Reedy Creek Improvement district. Magic Kingdom will effectively become a 2.5-3 day park. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an alternate entrance and new hotel(s) along with this expansion.

The other big announcement for WDW are the Moana and Zootopia areas replacing Dinoland. From the concept art it looks like they are adding a log flume and a spinner ride. I really hope they keep Dinosaur, but it won’t fit with the new themes at all. I’m surprised that Moana is getting another attraction/land in Animal Kingdom when there are many other animal centric stories that don’t have representation. This seems like a way to put current IP into Animal Kingdom. In my opinion Moana would fit a lot better in Adventureland than animal kingdom and especially EPCOT.

The only announcement for Epcot was a figment meet and greet and another year of construction in future world/world celebration.
I'm not too keen on the Dinoland replacements. Moana would be ok as it deals with people living with the land but it isn't as tied to conservation or animals as what I would like. I agree it goes much better in Adventureland. And Zootopia seems like a cop out choice. Joe Rhodes even said it didn't belong in animal Kingdom as the animals are a replacement for people and it's more about normal human issues, not animals. If they did add it in, I'd rather see a small Zootopia land replace Rafiki's Planet Watch out on its own. I'm ok with some IP being added but don't want more IP lands for Animal Kingdom. Ideally to me South America should replace Dinoland and be similar to Africa and Asia. Can include IPs (Encanto dark ride here maybe if they really wanted) but dinos still fit and can add a rainforest themed area. Turn the spinner ride into Macaws, add a boat ride and animal trek. Also like to see Australia added. Have a great barrier reed area with fish to be something new, can move Nemo show here and have character meets with them and Rescuers Down Under characters. Then add in more Australian wildlife.

For Magic Kingdom, instead of these minilands/single rides for multiple IPS, I'd rather see them build a large new land themed to villains in the space they have back there. Can better utilize all the potential and is what people have been asking for for a long time with a Villains park.
Did they really announce anything though? They announced ideas for what could be coming but they never came out and said anything actually is coming.

All of us do that in here on a daily basis.

I mean, how many things did they announce for Epcot that they actually planned and then dumped? This stuff wasn’t even that solid.

They have no real plans and are just throwing out ideas to keep us walking towards the mirage in the distance while Universal is actually building things.

Add to that, the pace in which they bring these things live, I can‘t imagine we’ll see any of it until 2030 If it even does materialize.They announce a re-theme of Splash Mountain in 2020 and it’s scheduled to be done by the end of 2024. A re-theme will take them 4 years. I can’t imagine how long it would take to do all the things they pretended could happen.

Edit to add: The more I think about it, the more insulting the whole charade was.
Yea seemed like they added the Blue Sky announcement section as a two fold solution. They really didn't have much to announce so this made it seem like they had more, and they could see which ideas people responded to the best.

After speculating on what announcements could be coming our way thanks to that easter egg poster...I have to say that I thought this D23 was an absolute flop. Very little was actually "new."

And as someone mentioned above, the Dinoland replacements and "beyond Thunder Mountain" land were only blue sky concepts. They quite clearly said it was just a possibility of what they COULD do, not actually confirming any plans. So the parks panel ended up as not that exciting.

I do believe in speaking things into existence, so if the universe and/or Disney execs are listening:
When it comes to the proposed Magic Kingdom expansion, let's hold off on giving an entire land to one movie. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Coco and Encanto (I think I've already watched Encanto 10 times and I'm a child-less adult!). Both movies are great inspirations for individual attractions, especially a ride that takes you into the gorgeous and vibrant land of the dead from Coco, there's so many possibilities there! But Magic Kingdom doesn't have any other land themed around a single film. Doing so would severely limit the park's ability to change and grow as needed. And how do you know which films coming out now will remain cultural touchstones in decades to come?

My proposal: Focus on the Villains area. I assume this land would involve filling in the back portion of the Rivers of America. And this would actually work well thematically if it is creating a full loop from Frontierland to Liberty Square: perhaps the spookiness of Haunted Mansion's area could aid in a nice transition to the "Dark Kingdom" (or whatever it will be called), and maybe a small "ghost town" area serves as the transition to Frontierland. Maleficent is popular enough to feature as the star of a villains e-ticket attraction, perhaps one that incorporates other magic-based villains (Evil Queen, Dr. Facilier, Mother Gothel, Jafar, Horned King) who help her try to take over Magic Kingdom? There are plenty of silly/comedic villains to pepper throughout the land in rides or shops to keep things from getting too dark/scary for the little ones (Yzma, Madam Mim, Queen of Hearts, Hades). The shop names write themselves: Poison Apple Candy Company, Cruella's Clothiers, Black Cauldron Brews, Oogie Boogie's 'Big Six' Games, etc. This is a land based on a general idea, allowing for villains from all different IPs to be integrated, and easy to add/replace IPs if a more popular villain comes along.
As for the rest of the land, closer to Thunder Mountain, instead of Coco/Encanto let's all hope the new Big Thunder Mountain series they have in the works is a big success. If it becomes a hit, wouldn't it behoove Disney to capitalize off it? Disney is also building an S.E.A. universe, and that group has ties to Frontierland (and Adventureland obviously). I think it would be cool if they could use story elements from the new show as a basis for an updated take on the un-built Westward River Expedition ride to bring the original Thunder Mesa vision into fruition. Keeping the area with a general frontier/western theme again allows for flexibility to add/replace things in the park with other future western themed properties, and elements of the S.E.A. series and Thunder Mountain series if they catch on.

Is this me just "Blue Sky" dreaming? Sure! But that's all they did at D23. So may as well add this concept to the pot. They were clearly just gauging audience/fan response anyway. So here's my fan response!

A Coco attraction seems dead in the water because China has rules about showing skeletons/undead, so the attraction would not be portable to there.

A Coco attraction seems dead in the water because China has rules about showing skeletons/undead, so the attraction would not be portable to there.
USA parks rarely export lands/attractions to Asian parks. I can't recall a single one they have besides the classics.

After speculating on what announcements could be coming our way thanks to that easter egg poster...I have to say that I thought this D23 was an absolute flop. Very little was actually "new."

And as someone mentioned above, the Dinoland replacements and "beyond Thunder Mountain" land were only blue sky concepts. They quite clearly said it was just a possibility of what they COULD do, not actually confirming any plans. So the parks panel ended up as not that exciting.

I do believe in speaking things into existence, so if the universe and/or Disney execs are listening:
When it comes to the proposed Magic Kingdom expansion, let's hold off on giving an entire land to one movie. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Coco and Encanto (I think I've already watched Encanto 10 times and I'm a child-less adult!). Both movies are great inspirations for individual attractions, especially a ride that takes you into the gorgeous and vibrant land of the dead from Coco, there's so many possibilities there! But Magic Kingdom doesn't have any other land themed around a single film. Doing so would severely limit the park's ability to change and grow as needed. And how do you know which films coming out now will remain cultural touchstones in decades to come?

My proposal: Focus on the Villains area. I assume this land would involve filling in the back portion of the Rivers of America. And this would actually work well thematically if it is creating a full loop from Frontierland to Liberty Square: perhaps the spookiness of Haunted Mansion's area could aid in a nice transition to the "Dark Kingdom" (or whatever it will be called), and maybe a small "ghost town" area serves as the transition to Frontierland. Maleficent is popular enough to feature as the star of a villains e-ticket attraction, perhaps one that incorporates other magic-based villains (Evil Queen, Dr. Facilier, Mother Gothel, Jafar, Horned King) who help her try to take over Magic Kingdom? There are plenty of silly/comedic villains to pepper throughout the land in rides or shops to keep things from getting too dark/scary for the little ones (Yzma, Madam Mim, Queen of Hearts, Hades). The shop names write themselves: Poison Apple Candy Company, Cruella's Clothiers, Black Cauldron Brews, Oogie Boogie's 'Big Six' Games, etc. This is a land based on a general idea, allowing for villains from all different IPs to be integrated, and easy to add/replace IPs if a more popular villain comes along.
As for the rest of the land, closer to Thunder Mountain, instead of Coco/Encanto let's all hope the new Big Thunder Mountain series they have in the works is a big success. If it becomes a hit, wouldn't it behoove Disney to capitalize off it? Disney is also building an S.E.A. universe, and that group has ties to Frontierland (and Adventureland obviously). I think it would be cool if they could use story elements from the new show as a basis for an updated take on the un-built Westward River Expedition ride to bring the original Thunder Mesa vision into fruition. Keeping the area with a general frontier/western theme again allows for flexibility to add/replace things in the park with other future western themed properties, and elements of the S.E.A. series and Thunder Mountain series if they catch on.

Is this me just "Blue Sky" dreaming? Sure! But that's all they did at D23. So may as well add this concept to the pot. They were clearly just gauging audience/fan response anyway. So here's my fan response!
Was thinking similar too. As I mentioned above I'd prefer the villains area to be fleshed out more than space be used up for mini lands based on Coco or Encanto. An expansion of Thunder Mesa would be great too. An updated Western River Expedition could be great, and personally I feel like this is what should have replaced Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom. Tiana is great for Disneyland and fits in with New Orleans Square, but WRE would have been a great fit to Frontierland and then all three splash mountains would have unique themes too to give more reason to visit them all. Another Thunder Mesa addition that would have been cool would be to revisit the Geyser Mountain concept as well. Those two rides along with BTMRR would make an amazing area of the park,

D23 was a major disappointment. I'm a Disney lover but they need to up their game, big time. Universal is opening another gate (and has room for a fourth) in the next 5 years and Disney has...a redo of an existing ride system, a walk-through attraction, Tron (which is a gimme because it's already done), and some blue-sky projects that will never see the light of day.

IMO, even more than the lack of new stuff in the parks, the biggest threat to Disney is guest satisfaction declining. Families can drive 30 miles from any major city in America and go to a theme park with rides. They go to Disney because of the guest-centered experience. A Disney experience now requires a ton of advanced planning, a working knowledge of their ever-changing reservation systems, proficiency with a smart phone, thousands upon thousands of dollars, and a ton of luck and patience. It shouldn't be this hard.

Shareholders are happy, but guests are not. The tide for Disney is turning and they need to course-correct now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter