~Dani and Bryan's Hopefully Fairy Tale Wedding on a Budget PJ and almost TR 12/5/10

Dani916

Mouseketeer
Hi All-

I am new here and I am not sure how to do a correct planning journal, but it does not hurt to try. So here I go.

First let me say I am ridiculously excited to get married at Disney on 12/5/10. I have dreamed of it all my life, I just had no idea who the guy would be. Thankfully, I finally met him. Which brings me to how we (Dani (me) and the guy, also known as Bryan) met. Please forgive me for the picture being SO huge. If anyone knows how to make it smaller, please let me know. Also, please note we did not intentionally dress alike :)
DaniBryanTreeCA-1.jpg

In January of 2009, I joined Match.com. I swear I never would, but I did. I went on a lot of dates, all of which were ok, but nothing phenomenal. I did not feel a connection with anyone so I kept on dating.

One of the first emails I received was from Bryan. Yes, this Bryan. We both went to Colorado State (not at the same time), loved Disney (I used to work there and have always turned into a 4 year old when I visit), and we both lived in Parker. I never thought I would date someone with two children, but I kept an open mind. I remember showing his profile to my sister in law and she thought him and his boys were so cute.

We started emailing and formed an email friendship. We would talk about our love for the show The Office, share our Disney vacation stories and pictures, and always mention how we should get together. Somehow, it never came to fruition. I would have something going, traveling somewhere, he was busy with the kids, I got sick, etc. We continued to email and then we both started dating other people. He told me over email that he was seeing someone exclusively, so I went back and deleted all of our first emails. Oh how I wish I still had those (I am sentimental like that!) I was bummed, but we emailed every now and then just to say hi.

In July he got back in touch with me and we began emailing again. At the time I had a boyfriend and he was still with his girlfriend. It was great to hear from him. During the month of July both our relationships ended. We were done with the opposite sex and decided we would meet up for dinner. It would be nice to have a friend to hang out with who lived 2 miles away.

We set up a meeting (not a date) for July 25th. He emailed me saying that if it was nice out, he would pick me up in his Camaro. Seriously? A Camaro? I had a vision of T-Tops and a guy in black faded stonewashed jeans wearing a faded Aerosmith t-shirt. I was worried but hey, this was not a date, just two people who share similar interests.

On the night of our scheduled meeting, he rang my doorbell. I opened it and he had a rose in his hand. So sweet, and then I wondered, IS this a date? He looked nice (no stonewash thankfully) and we headed to his car. It was a brand new 2010 Camaro-nothing like I thought it would be. What a relief!

We had planned on going to the Outback but he asked me if he could change the place. I did not mind and then he asked me if I liked pizza. Um, I LOVE pizza, so we headed downtown to a cute pizza place. The conversation flowed, we talked about everything, we hit it off, and I kept wondering if this was a date. After we had dinner, we went to his house since it was so close to mine. He showed me pictures of his trip to Disney, took me to Camden and Torrin's room which is mostly Disney, and showed me a glimpse of his personality. It was nice.

He took me home, helped me with my computer and then headed home. We ended with a hug, said we should do it again sometime, and that was that.

The next time we scheduled a "meeting" was the following weekend. We made plans for me to come over, create an art wall for the boys, and go to dinner. Painters were coming over that day to give me a quote so my parents were at my place. The painters ran late so I called Bryan and told him I would be over a little later. My mom asked if we wanted to go to the Texas Roadhouse with them. I was hesitant. We were not dating and he would already meet my parents?! I mentioned it to him and he said yes! My mom is from the East Coast like his mom was and he said she seemed like his mom so he would be willing to meet the parentals. His mom passed away so I thought it might be nice for him to meet someone who could be similar to his mom. That night we all went to dinner. They did not stop talking and they all liked each other.

For our third meeting, he came to my parent's anniversary dinner. We had a nice time, and he met a ton of my family. He talked to everyone and seemed at ease. When he left, my family asked if we were dating. I said I had no idea. He then texted me saying I looked nice and wanted to know if I past the family test. Hmmm....maybe we were dating.

On our fourth meeting, I met the boys. I worried it was too early but hey, we were not dating so why not meet the kids? We instantly hit it off and I fell in love with them that night. At dinner, Bryan mentioned something being special. Camden looked at me and said, "Dani, I think you are pretty special." Awww. That night was a lot of fun! Later that night his ex girlfriend contacted him via text, so I wondered if he was still dating her. I thought it was none of my business, but since I do not hide things very well and it was bugging me, I wanted to know what he thought was going on with us. I asked him if we were friends, and he said he wanted to be more than friends. Yay!

Time went on and we casually mentioned that we both were not dating anyone else, and we only wanted to date each other. Even after that conversation, it took him about 2 more weeks to kiss me. (Sorry Bryan if you did not want that posted.) From then on, we were pretty much inseparable!

Then on January 22nd, 3 days short of our first "meeting" he liked it so he put a ring on it....

Bryan and I had looked at rings but I had no idea it would be happening that quick. He had me fooled and I was totally surprised. A few days before that Friday, Bryan informed me that my Mom called him and said she owed him a slight belated birthday dinner. I thought nothing of this, plus my Aunt was in town so I thought it would be a nice place for her to go. Bryan decided on Trappers, a nice steak place in our town of Parker. My mom has mentioned she liked when Bryan dresses up so he said if I wore a dress, he would dress up too. I love wearing dresses so I was in! On Friday night, we got ready and went to dinner.

As we were going to dinner, Bryan told me my sister was coming down. I was excited to see her but I was wondering why my brother was not coming too. I chalked it up to the place being really expensive and my sister was coming since it was on her way down from Ft. Collins. When we got there I asked my mom when she was coming and she told me Quinn (my nephew) was sick so she would not be here. We got to the table and there were a lot of chairs. I thought nothing of it since my sister was supposed to come with my nephews. We took chairs away, and my mom told the waiter we needed 9. I said um, no, we need only 7. Again, I thought she was just confused.

We sat down and after our drinks arrived, Bryan said he needed to go to the bathroom and he was going to take the kids to get some candy. They were gone about 10 minutes and I began to wonder where they were. A few minutes later, I am sitting there, and the boys and Bryan come over to me. They have wrapped brown boxes in their hands, and I think, "Wow! This place is fancy! Wrapped Godiva chocolates!" Bryan and Camden get down on a knee and I am thinking nothing of it, just that they were bending down to show me something. I hear my mom say, "Oh, and she does not have her camera." I think she wants a picture of her and her sister, so I tell her I do have it and I turn around to get it. Bryan stops me, and the next thing you know, Bryan shows me a ring box, tells me that him and the boys love me, and asked me to marry them. (Still not registering that he is proposing to me.)
ShockedFixed.jpg
[/IMG]

It sort of hits me and all I can do is say, "Oh my God! Oh my God!" Probably because the diamond is huge :) Both Camden and Torrin hand me a ring box-each of them propose to me (the 5 year old did, the 2 year old just said "Here!" and handed me a box). I am sobbing and in total shock! My Dad came over and asked if I said yes, and I thought, you know, I probably did not answer in the midst of my shock. Forgive the really unflattering blubbering idiot photo:

Amess.jpg
[/IMG]

Camden was so excited and he came up to me. He would not let me go! Since I was crying, he kept hugging me. I took him aside and told him I was crying because I was happy. He kissed me and told me he loved me. I told him this means I am going to be with him, Daddy and Torrin forever, and I was never going to leave him.

As the proposal was happening, I saw flashes going off. I thought people from the bar were taking pictures of us. I thought WHO are those people and would they email me those pictures? Eventually I saw it was Bryan's friends Chad and Carly. Bryan knows how important it is for me to have pictures of everything so he was sweet to have his friends to come take pictures.

Since each of the boys and Bryan gave me a ring, I have three bands:
Sideshot2.jpg
[/IMG]
I am one lucky lady! I love Bryan, Camden and Torrin so much! I can't wait to be Mrs. Forrest!

LOVETHISPIC.jpg
[/IMG]

I look forward to sharing our plans with all of you, and getting to know some of you! Thanks for reading!

Dani

You guys are so adorable! Congrats! And I love the pictures. You can just feel the emotion. Can't wait to hear all about the planning and details!!:goodvibes

That's such a sweet story! Your rings are gorgeous and I love that each of the boys gave you one. :)

What an adorable story! I am such a sap for these stories - I got more and more excited as I read yours (and I'll be honest, got a bit teared up with the proposal from your 3 men - so cute)! You told the story well so far - good job....apparently you are a PRO at creating a planning journal and you didn't even realize it!

I laughed out loud at the "he didn't kiss me until..." part...I always tell people that about me and my DFi...it took him so long to "make a move" that I went through that same "are we dating? Are we just friends?" state...it almost drove me crazy!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding/marriage and can't wait to read more!

I never thought I would care so much about a wedding, let alone our wedding. Sure, I always said I wanted to get married at Disney but I never thought I would meet someone who loved Disney like I do. I never thought I would stay awake at night thinking of flowers, food, dresses, etc. Well, I was wrong.

Before Bryan, I dated someone for 8 years. The thought of marriage made me throw up in my mouth a little (too much info, but how else can I put it?) :) The thought of him proposing make me want to run. I never understood the feeling of "you will just know." I guess that is because I was with the wrong person. The thought of marrying Bryan was exciting. Sure, I never planned on being with someone who had already been married and had two kids, but life rarely turns out as we had planned. Thankfully, it all fit, and soon after we got engaged, we knew Disney was the place for us.

Bryan had only been to WDW once and he "did not like it at all." I have learned that those people who have only gone to DL all their lives, are not a fan of WDW (the ones I have talked to) and those who have only been to WDW and then go to DL are like Huh? This is IT? I had the same reaction, but I have come to love them both for different reasons.

Originally we were going to get married at Disneyland with just family members, and then come back to CO and have a reception. I called DL and they were not all that helpful and I was really hoping we could get married at WDW. I did the College Program there, and I fell in love with the WP back in 1999. I even have a picture of me kissing no one under the arch.

After talking it over with Bryan, and finding out that one of my best friends is good friends with a wedding planner there, I was sold. Bryan said we should just spend the money and have everyone we want in Florida. That was easy for him to say and his Dad was not the one paying :)

I love my parents, I do, and I am insanely grateful for everything they have given me, but they know EVERYONE it seems. We were taking 200+ people at the wedding, only about 10 of them who I would have known. After talking to them about it, we decided to do everything in Florida. If they wanted to invite everyone, then that was fine, but they need to understand that these people might come. Eventually they narrowed it down to a few friends and there is talk of doing a small gathering after the wedding. We shall see.

I was worried that people would not want to spend the money, but in reality most of our guests do not live in Colorado so does it matter what state it is in? Also, I determined that if people really wanted to be there, they would make it somehow.

My friend Jason, who still works there, knew Maxine so he got me in contact with her. Loved her the moment we talked. Plus we are both from PA! She told me she would hook me up with a consultant, and we wound up getting Joe. Love that man! I am so glad he did not slap me. I had to keep changing the hotel block (After learning that we would be responsible for the rooms that were not booked:scared1:), my guest count went way up so we had to change the venue a few times, and all my other millions of questions would result in anyone wanting to ***** slap me. Thankfully, he was patient and kind and I adore him. I just got Maxine as my planner (as requested) YAY-so I emailed Joe and asked him if this means we broke up. Sadness.

Maxine might want to run for the hills already since I have a ton of questions stored up in my brain. We have only worked together for a week, but she has answered a ton of questions and has given me loads of ideas!

I tend to rush to judgment on things, and decide on things way too quickly when I am excited. I found my dress within 3 weeks of being engaged. I had the photographer booked and the videographer booked within the same time. As I posted before, I regret my impulse photographer decision and I sent him an email saying I was going in a different direction. He just called me and I am avoiding the phone. I hate breaking up with people, even if we have never met. Maybe Bryan will call because if I do, I will give in and stay. We shall see what happens with that.

Originally we planned on getting married at the WP at 2:30, then moving to the GF for the pre reception, the reception and the DP to see the fireworks. I was giddy until one night I lay there awake, as I always do, stressing about the wedding, when something in my head told me, "Hey, you. I think Joe said your venue only holds 60 people." Ut oh. More than 75 people said they were MAYBE coming but there is no way to know yet. I called Joe in a panic (not at that time) and he said we had to move it. Shoot! We talked about doing a DP at Epcot but that was not my vision. I asked if we could still do it at the GF and yes, we could, but the guests will have to go from the WP, to the BoardWalk, then back to the GF. I do not want people driving drunk (if they even have a car) so then I started to worry about hiring a charter, then I thought about how much it will cost, etc.

I told Maxine about my issues and she said two other people are holding the GF as of now so we have to wait and see if we can switch back. Then she suggested doing a rehearsal dinner at the GF-a BBQ at the marina then the fireworks. I had thought about this a lot before, but when looking at the sample menus, I did not think it was financially feasibly with the budget Bryan's Dad gave us. She said they have done it for $45-$60 a person including alcohol (I could do without the alcohol but Bryan wants it there) so I was thrilled. I was kind of bummed that if we did do this, we would not have fireworks pictures with my dress on. Then I thought shoot, we wont have any good fireworks pictures so maybe I need to have a photographer that night. Anyway, it sort of makes more sense to me because then we can have the reception at the BoardWalk and not have to worry about getting everyone back to the GF for the dessert party. Also, it takes a few thousand off of our wedding budget if we don't do the DP the night of the wedding.

Bryan wanted to plan the rehearsal dinner because he already thinks I am in way over my head. I have a hard time NOT planning something, but he was determined to plan this. I was worried he would not be on board for the BBQ but after talking to him (and prefacing it with, "I KNOW this is YOUR thing to plan, but can I offer a suggestion?") he was excited. Waiting to hear back from Maxine on if this is possible. Fingers crossed.

There are so many things I WANT, but do I really NEED any of them? Like the coach. Oh how I want the coach. Oh how I do not want to spend the $2,700. Will I regret not having it?

I am already WAY over budget. I hope I am overestimating, but I have a feeling I am not. I wonder if I will get any sleep while I am planning this. I also wonder if I will have serious wedding planner withdrawal after this is over.

So as of now, we are in limbo. Well, I am. Bryan just tells me to tell him where to be, and he will be there. It makes me sad he already did this with his first wife (not a Disney wedding thankfully) and isn't into it, but I wonder if he was into it the first time around.

I hope this all works out!

Thanks for reading :)

Seriously - I love how you write...you write like I think! It cracks me up...

I know how you feel about the over planning thing...I spend hours every day making decisions, only to change them hours later...I tend to make decisions based on budget (for example my original "H*ll no, I'm not having a Dessert Party") and then hours later change my mind based on my gut or my heart ("Welllll, I'm only doing this once...will I really regret not having a Dessert Party?") - by the way my heart always wins (hence the fact that the DP did get booked...as did the confetti cannons, and the MK photo shoot...well you get the picture!). So I just have to work extra hard to make it happen! So basically, I hear you on all of that "late night freak out" thing - it happens to many of us I think!

Coming from someone who is also planning a wedding to someone who has "been there done that" before...I find the great part about it being "He didn't get married at Disney the first time!" - it kind of keeps that anxiety about that away and makes it new for both of us, regardless of the past...

Thanks for sharing your story...loving it so far, and can't wait to read more!

Congratulations on everything! You guys sound like a great couple. I love your ring, how cute that you got three! Can't wait to hear more, sounds like you have so much done!

My fiancee has not been there and done that but he still tells me to just "tell me where to be and I'll be there" then again he never really planned anything until me so... what can you do? And then there are the "I'll be there in an orange leisure suit" comments, not actually any better. I love your story so far and I can't wait to read more.

Wow, orange leisure suit. Sounds hot! Bryan has mentioned powder blue and ruffles. Oh, and white. Uh, no thanks. Let's just stick with you showing up.

My DH and I met on match.com too!! Like you, I was hesitant to try it, but he was the first person I met and it certainly worked out!! We were married this past October and spent our honeymoon at WDW. I wish you guys the best!

Your rings are beautiful and I love how all three of them got down to propose to you:lovestruc.

I can't wait to read more of your story.

Love your story so far! We are getting married the day after you 12/6- so I may have to stalk your wedding! I wouldn't stress it about your DF being less than interested in the wedding details, trust me- 1st, 2nd, or 10th wedding most guys are not going to care. And the fact that he is wanting to help plan the rehearsal is pretty impressive to me:upsidedow even if it's hard to let him:laughing: I can't wait to follow your plans!

Thank you all for the sweet messages so far. I appreciate it so much! All my friends are married with kids and are SO over the wedding planning. I am thankful I have people to share it with.

Anyway, I think I mentioned that we got our planning session set for July 16th. It was the only time we did not have the kids and that Bryan was not going to have to worry about end of the month numbers (he is in sales). I wanted June but we are going to New Jersey, then it is Father's Day, then it is the end of the month. I was fine with the 16th (it will be my 33 and 10 month 'birthday' so it has to go well, right :)) Maxine and Alix sent us our confirmation today and it said we would be meeting at BoardWalk. Oh the horror! What about Franck's? I have never been to Franck's but always wanted to. In my mind, it is some magical place. Kind of like when I went to Oahu and forgot I was in the US and was bummed to cruise down the road and see some Taco Bells, KFCs and grocery stores. Sure, there were beautiful places, but it was not what I had imagined. I picture Franck's to be this place where the doors open and angels sing to me. Kind of like what happens when I walk into Hobby Lobby or Target. I asked Maxine why the BoardWalk and she said Franck's would be in rehab beginning July 2nd. I asked if he had a drinking problem-bad joke, but that's how I roll. He might be out of rehab by the time we get there, but he might not. Sadness. Thankfully some other people have told me it is not all that exciting. Fingers crossed.

Now comes the coach. I am thankful that my parents are giving us money, but they also have a say in what we do. I asked that we just get the money, and let me do with it as we wish. My father agreed then gave me a credit card in my name but the statement goes to his house which means he knows everything. I talked to them about the coach, and they said no way. If we were going 20 miles, maybe, but not from the GF, to the WP. As I said, and I will say a million times, I am thankful for every penny. I just wish the coach was not SO much money. Who knew a glass pumpkin would mean so much to me? Seriously!?

More to come....

Now comes the coach. I am thankful that my parents are giving us money, but they also have a say in what we do. I asked that we just get the money, and let me do with it as we wish. My father agreed then gave me a credit card in my name but the statement goes to his house which means he knows everything. I talked to them about the coach, and they said no way. If we were going 20 miles, maybe, but not from the GF, to the WP. As I said, and I will say a million times, I am thankful for every penny. I just wish the coach was not SO much money. Who knew a glass pumpkin would mean so much to me? Seriously!?

When I first started looking at Disney Weddings, I wanted the coach so bad! I thought it looked awesome. Then I found out the price and how long you actually have it for, and I thought NO WAY! I would love to have it, if money were no object. I just can't justify spending that much for that short of a time. If you really have your heart set on it, I would say put the money towards everything you have to have first, and then if you have extra, go for it.

P.S. I thought the Franck's joke was very funny! :laughing:

I agree the coach is WAY overpriced. That said... I believe everyone should allow themselves one ridiculously priced thing for their wedding if they can afford it without going into debt. For me it was my wedding dress- which was almost as much as the coach:scared1: Even though your parents are paying for the wedding do you have enough that you could pay for the coach yourself? If not then it's not worth it- but if so I say go for it! (I also laughed at your rehab joke:lmao:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter