DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Just to re-iterate because I know it's been mentioned previously -- DISNEY has decided to make this change to DAS based on data that DISNEY has. Debating or arguing the validity of the TP data and collection techniques isn't going to change the current situation. Whether those figures are accurate, close to accurate, or way off base doesn't really matter.

Just to re-iterate because I know it's been mentioned previously -- DISNEY has decided to make this change to DAS based on data that DISNEY has. Debating or arguing the validity of the TP data and collection techniques isn't going to change the current situation. Whether those figures are accurate, close to accurate, or way off base doesn't really matter.

While I agree that these changes have nothing to do with TP, I think some of the vitriol directed at DAS users since these changes were announced is being justified by these "back of the envelope" calculations that can't really be verified.

Exactly. And Disney also knew what the reaction would be, having gone through this with the GAC-to-DAS transition...given that, I have no doubt that their data shows a degree of use, whether abuse, overuse, or a combination of the two, that was no longer sustainable due to impacts on the overall guest population.

AND, in addition to DAS and LL guests, there are rider swap, anytime passes, and the VIP tours (maybe others I'm not remembering) that use that line... how could anyone not looking at the CM screen know what category of guest is scanning in other than the DAS/blue light first scanner?
If you listen or read Len Testa’s posts or podcasts, you’ll find out that ViP tour numbers are negligible (~40 per hour) and were actually zero in the hour they counted. For Peter Pan (one of the attractions they counted), one can assume rider swap is extremely low.

Also, just to reiterate, TouringPlans doesn’t look at the lights. They just count bodies.

She also said when the changes happen they won’t be able to adjust who is included in the DAS party.

She didn’t say no changes can be made, only that in park staff will not be able to make changes. For locals who visit with different people this will be a bad surprise til everyone is used to it.
Speaking as a semi-local who has a couple truly local friends who sometimes join me last minute (I’m talking, I text “I’m at EP for a few hours - want to join me?” And local friend shows up 30 mins later), as well as my son once or twice a year, and a non-local friend once or twice a year, this is the most concerning change of all to me. In a 4 hour visit I’ll now need to spend time making a virtual call to add and/or remove someone from my DAS party? My hope remains that they staff the in-park virtual call center separately from the advance calls and nobody in the parks needs to spend 3 hours waiting, but it will still be a burden that makes me feel like I’ll have to choose between the hassle of going to a single GS location (as opposed to the blue umbrellas stationed throughout the parks), skipping all attractions while a friend is with me, or not spending time with the friend so I can do attractions by myself. Sorry to be whiny, but that’s just lousy.

I really do not understand why Guests can’t control their DAS party themselves. If the limit is a party of 4 per ride, why does Disney care who the 3 with me are? If they’re in my F&F list, I should be able to select who’s joining me on any given day without needing permission. It’s not like GS now questions who I’m adding or removing - there are no rules about who’s allowed to be part of your traveling party and I’ve seen no indication that’s changing.

Yeah, it's been my experience as a person whose disabilities are mostly of the kind where I have to ask individual CMs for accommodation at every single attraction, that the ratio of friendly, understanding people who actually want to listen and help, to impatient, dismissive people acting on their own preexisting biases about disability, is about the same among Disney CMs as it is among the general public. It can be hit or miss.
This is true. Sometimes they get snippy with you just for daring to show up at your return time to scan in. God forbid they have to spend 2 extra milliseconds tapping on their tablets.

While I agree that these changes have nothing to do with TP, I think some of the vitriol directed at DAS users since these changes were announced is being justified by these "back of the envelope" calculations that can't really be verified.
Possibly, especially if you visit the thread on that website's forum which has a considerably negative vibe to it. Continuing to argue the data here on this thread isn't helping, it's just keeping that data front-and-center of the discussion.

I really do not understand why Guests can’t control their DAS party themselves. If the limit is a party of 4 per ride, why does Disney care who the 3 with me are? If they’re in my F&F list, I should be able to select who’s joining me on any given day without needing permission. It’s not like GS now questions who I’m adding or removing - there are no rules about who’s allowed to be part of your traveling party and I’ve seen no indication that’s changing.
Not a bad idea for those that are only permitted to have a total of four on the DAS.

If I was to venture a guess…it’s probably to retain a little more control over the people who are exploiting the DAS system. There’s no reason that an honest user shouldn’t be able to modify their guest list on their own. But, this is one more hurdle for the abusers who are adding completely different people each and every time they enter the park.

But I’ve been noticing a lot of cast member against guest sentiment recently everywhere there. Seems like they’re increasingly frustrated with us.
I’m sad for you, that’s awful.

Just to assure others though- I didn’t feel any CM frustration over my DAS use during my 2 week trip last week and the week before. Not a single snide comment, not an annoyed glance, not an eye roll, absolutely nothing. I was treated the same as all other LL guests.

If I was to venture a guess…it’s probably to retain a little more control over the people who are exploiting the DAS system. There’s no reason that an honest user shouldn’t be able to modify their guest list on their own. But, this is one more hurdle for the abusers who are adding completely different people each and every time they enter the park.
That was my initial thinking as well. Not that they aren't trying to be soooo rigid that it hinders someone's trip but rather if people were just taking so and so along to help on their trip.

Like for example someone could say "hey when you come for your trip I'll just add you on..."

It may be more of a locals issue and that's not aimed at the PP at all just saying this particular part of the puzzle is easier for a local to do.

If indeed the limit of 4 no longer is about "immediate family" I think that both helps many traveling parties who wouldn't have to worry about if so and so counted as immediate family by legal definition and also help Disney more easily review changes a DAS user is looking to make.

There's obviously a legit reason to want to adjust who is counted towards the limit based on any given park day but also at the end of the day the DAS is meant to be for the DAS user first and foremost

That was my initial thinking as well. Not that they aren't trying to be soooo rigid that it hinders someone's trip but rather if people were just taking so and so along to help on their trip.

Like for example someone could say "hey when you come for your trip I'll just add you on..."

It may be more of a locals issue and that's not aimed at the PP at all just saying this particular part of the puzzle is easier for a local to do.

If indeed the limit of 4 no longer is about "immediate family" I think that both helps many traveling parties who wouldn't have to worry about if so and so counted as immediate family by legal definition and also help Disney more easily review changes a DAS user is looking to make.

There's obviously a legit reason to want to adjust who is counted towards the limit based on any given park day but also at the end of the day the DAS is meant to be for the DAS user first and foremost
I don't think the limit of four was ever about immediate family, or at least that's not how I understood it...my interpretation was limit of four unless the immediate family was more than four (two parents, three kids, etc.), in which case the limit could be expanded.

Oh, I’m sure it is! But IF (and I know it’s still very much an if) it becomes an ordeal every time I want to swap out someone in my DAS party, I’ll just stop bothering. And that doesn’t mean I’ll instead be spending more money on G+ - I’d just go back to only ever visiting alone and spending time with F&F at UO or greater Orlando restaurants… which results in less time at WDW, less money spent at WDW, etc. It feels short-sighted IF they make DAS unusable for DAS users wanting to spend time with people who weren’t in the original DAS party when registering/renewing.

Just to assure others though- I didn’t feel any CM frustration over my DAS use during my 2 week trip last week and the week before. Not a single snide comment, not an annoyed glance, not an eye roll, absolutely nothing. I was treated the same as all other LL guests.
In general I'd look at any CM frustration to be largely held against Disney. The CM at the attraction isn't able to change anything related to who qualifies for what but they are the ones who deal with the fall out from all guests (and I mean all guests) so even though it's unprofessional and not excusable to have a CM outburst like that I also don't think it's a personal thing aimed at DAS users themselves. I'm sure this was the same sentiment held when FP+ was used as a placating tool, it left the CMs at the attraction open to overwhelmed circumstances for their role.

Two of the concerns are wagons' visibility and steerability. Push wagons can be difficult to steer, especially if they have something of a load. Pulling a wagon makes it challenging to observe what is happening in and around the wagon. People in the parks are watching their phones, not what's in front of them. I'd bet there is a disproportionate number of pedestrian-wagon collisions compared with pedestrian- wheelchair or pedestrian-ecv collisions in the parks.
I agree that pulling is inappropriate. I edited my post to say stroller wagons. My stroller wagon doesn't even have that option. It’s the seating layout that allows 2 bigger kids.

I debunked the visibility theory. I cannot see past the shade on the disability stroller I have. I don’t remember if I could when I was using a large 2 seat stroller (it’s been 2 years since they fit in one), but I don’t think I could. It’s possible there are strollers with worse visibility. Perhaps when they have those rectangular shade toppers with a short parent they would have terrible visibility.

I can agree in part with your steerability theory, it depends on the brand and I don’t think they can disallow brands, only classes of ADA devices. There is one brand that I tried out and returned because it was a beast to push even with 50 pounds of kids. The stroller wagon I have I was able to push with 1 hand with 140 pounds of kids in it. I tested it 2 days ago to be able to write a product review.

It is possible there are more wagon collisions. Regular stroller collisions should be included. I got hit from the back yesterday! 😂

Same. We’re at Disneyland.

I don't think the limit of four was ever about immediate family, or at least that's not how I understood it...my interpretation was limit of four unless the immediate family was more than four (two parents, three kids, etc.), in which case the limit could be expanded.
I was going off a prior comment in this thread earlier this week and the language on Disney's website (for WDW at least).

"DAS registration maximum party size is the registered DAS Guest and up to 3 additional party members, for a total of 4 people."

Previously with that "immediate family" verbiage it left room up to interpretation if it. With the example you gave of having 2 parents and 3 kids my assumption would be a "case by case" discussion with the CM rather than legal definition (as was talked about a lot earlier on) when it stated immediate family.

I mean Disney is def. able to change it all all over again just to be even more frustrating to those registering for it :( but at least that's what it is now.

This has always been my solution to the people who climb up on you like this in line. It's so much easier to let them go ahead (and be someone else's problem!). The poking thing did warrant a comment though! Mom should have done something about that sooner.
Yeah, she should have caught it before something needed to be said. Some people are oblivious at times. I "try" to remember we are not all cut from the same cloth. Some days I am not good at it. LOL

Last edited:
Speaking as a semi-local who has a couple truly local friends who sometimes join me last minute (I’m talking, I text “I’m at EP for a few hours - want to join me?” And local friend shows up 30 mins later), as well as my son once or twice a year, and a non-local friend once or twice a year, this is the most concerning change of all to me. In a 4 hour visit I’ll now need to spend time making a virtual call to add and/or remove someone from my DAS party? My hope remains that they staff the in-park virtual call center separately from the advance calls and nobody in the parks needs to spend 3 hours waiting, but it will still be a burden that makes me feel like I’ll have to choose between the hassle of going to a single GS location (as opposed to the blue umbrellas stationed throughout the parks), skipping all attractions while a friend is with me, or not spending time with the friend so I can do attractions by myself. Sorry to be whiny, but that’s just lousy.
In that situation I would be tempted not to bother with the work and time involved in changing the DAS party, and just enjoy attractions with no wait or a short wait (Nemo, Moana, the Land, Three Caballeros etc.) and focus more on enjoying the time with my friend. I always have a great time in Epcot even if I don’t do Ratatouille, Frozen, and Test Track.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter