DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

My guess is this isn't as much not "getting the same info" as much as it's that your party changes more frequently than the guest who comes from a distance to visit for a few days or a week. Usually what is asked is who is in the party this visit -- and if there are extended members linked in MDE for that particular visit, they'll allow those extras to be linked to the DAS but only a max of 6 can use a Return Time. Next visit, those same extended party members wouldn't necessarily have tickets or be linked for plans this trip, therefore they are removed and DAS is set for the current party (which may be a subset or different). Your party simply changes more frequently. I don't know if there is a way around that, maybe? Try asking next time.
I’ll definitely ask next time I’m there, and I’m so glad I learned of this here! It’s almost always the same 4 locals who are with me, but almost never at the same time - generally 1 or 2 at a time. So it would be great for me and Disney if they could just set them all (or at least 3 of hem under the new rules) up as my party and I can select the 1 or 2 who happen to be with me when we’d like to do a ride. The one non-local friend and/or my son are infrequent visitors and I’ll always know well in advance when they might be joining me, making swapping them in a non-issue.

I clearly need to spend more time over here because I have learned more about DAS in one week of this thread than in several years of actually using it lol! Y’all are awesome.

I'm a big fan of Touringplans in general, so I just want to correct some of what's being written …. There have been no posts from Testa claiming DAS abuse that I’ve seen, or really anything of the sort. In addition, there have been no posts where he claims to have counted the number of DAS users in a line.
This all stemmed from his podcast Disney Dish, not TP so that’s why you’re confused. Good recap by one of our mods here

Last edited:
We’re here. We’re making it work. But if we hadn’t had my sister with us I don’t know what we would have done. It’s in regards to their stroller wagon that we use as an ADA medical device for 3 disabled kids. They had to bring me and the kids back to the hotel and go back to the Star Wars nite. If I’d had their device I could have just come home with the kids. Only one child fits in a children’s stroller. We’ll need 2 adult strollers if we decide to come again. They don’t make double adult strollers. Another thing that could work is a stroller board. But it’s my understanding that it’s disallowed as something that is “towed” by the stroller.
Really sorry this caught you off-guard. I think it's an example of how "exceptions" turn into expectations.

I'm trying to figure out what stroller wagon fits 3 kids, with 2 who are big enough to need adult-sized special needs strollers. There are intermediate-sized special needs strollers for kids who are too big for traditional baby strollers but not big enough for adult. They fit within the Disney guidance and are fairly easy to travel with. Rentals are had to find and tend to be the one same (HUGE) model, but there are more styles and sizes for available for purchase. Though Orlando Medical Rentals has a a decent variety; but I think you do Disneyland. Do some online research to find something that might work better for your children; there may be a "special needs lending" organization in your area, or even one that connects people sharing/selling gently used items. Insurance may be an option to help pay, or grants through some special needs organizations.

Really sorry this caught you off-guard. I think it's an example of how "exceptions" turn into expectations.

I'm trying to figure out what stroller wagon fits 3 kids, with 2 who are big enough to need adult-sized special needs strollers. There are intermediate-sized special needs strollers for kids who are too big for traditional baby strollers but not big enough for adult. They fit within the Disney guidance and are fairly easy to travel with. Rentals are had to find and tend to be the one same (HUGE) model, but there are more styles and sizes for available for purchase. Though Orlando Medical Rentals has a a decent variety; but I think you do Disneyland. Do some online research to find something that might work better for your children; there may be a "special needs lending" organization in your area, or even one that connects people sharing/selling gently used items. Insurance may be an option to help pay, or grants through some special needs organizations.
City Stroller Rentals had been renting special needs strollers, but I received an email from the owner just before our trip in January that she was likely going to stop renting them as they are too expensive to repair. This is, as far as we were able to find, the only Anaheim based stroller rental place that had such strollers.

The reason they don't want folks to swap out their own DAS parties is probably b/c limit 4 in future Disney DAS does NOT mean "guarantee 4" if you get the DAS. I could completely see some adult solos getting "DAS LIMIT 1" as their option since they can travel solo, so they wouldn't need guests to accompany them...so all the DAS extra numbers would do is enable a non-immediate-family able bodied person to avoid lines for free...and this is the area Disney seems to be cracking down on the most.
A solo adult, by definition, is just one person in the reservation, so of course they would get only themselves listed on their DAS? But the rest of your reasoning? Are you stating that if any adult is capable of travelling solo, they should never get to be able to have another person listed on their DAS? So if I travelled with a friend, every time I used DAS, she'd have to stand in the queue for an hour or more, while I waited someplace else? If that were true, it would be ridiculous. Why go with anyone not in your "immediate family" if you needed DAS? There's no way we'd even be able to experience the ride together, unless one stood there and waited for the other to arrive from the separate queue. Think of how many people would be standing there waiting!

A solo adult, by definition, is just one person in the reservation, so of course they would get only themselves listed on their DAS? But the rest of your reasoning? Are you stating that if any adult is capable of travelling solo, they should never get to be able to have another person listed on their DAS? So if I travelled with a friend, every time I used DAS, she'd have to stand in the queue for an hour or more, while I waited someplace else? If that were true, it would be ridiculous. Why go with anyone not in your "immediate family" if you needed DAS? There's no way we'd even be able to experience the ride together, unless one stood there and waited for the other to arrive from the separate queue. Think of how many people would be standing there waiting!
I agree 100% that traveling companions (non-family) up to the limit of four should in most cases be permitted.

I can also see, depending on what type of non-DAS accommodations are being offered (as we don't know for certain what those are), the DAS being limited to only the DAS holder, in which case, no companions could be added.

Why would they NEED to help the other person? Disney only needs to accommodate a disabled individual's needs, not someone's wants.

A suggestion from Disney could be for possible drop-in travel companions to buy Genie + and to enter LL's together when it's the Genie + members time to go. Another could be to let the non-Genie person wait in line for about the length of standby before the DAS member enters LL.

Many ways for Disney to accommodate the solo disabled traveler without having to accommodate the non-disabled adult traveler who might stop in to the trip. If the solo disabled traveler can travel alone, they already show they don't need the companion pass and a DAS of 1 would be sufficient for need.

It may not be what a DAS holder wants. But return to line and other non-DAS options may not be what other disabled folks want, either. Everyone will fall into the "Disney is looking much more at needs vs wants" policy.

City Stroller Rentals had been renting special needs strollers, but I received an email from the owner just before our trip in January that she was likely going to stop renting them as they are too expensive to repair. This is, as far as we were able to find, the only Anaheim based stroller rental place that had such strollers.
I’m not familiar with rentals for Disneyland so these may or may not work.

Convaid is a popular special needs “umbrella style” stroller, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it as a rental (100 lbs limit)
https://www.travelingbaby.com/anaheim-california/convaid-ez-mobility-stroller.html

No brand so I’m not sure of size but it looks to fit Disney parks size guidelines (oops, it is the Special Tomato, up to 90 lbs)
https://www.travelingbaby.com/anaheim-california/special-mobility-stroller-rental.html

This one has a 65 lb capacity
https://www.onestopmobility.com/disneyland/stroller-rental/

Last edited:
Why would they NEED to help the other person? Disney only needs to accommodate a disabled individual's needs, not someone's wants.

A suggestion from Disney could be for possible drop-in travel companions to buy Genie + and to enter LL's together when it's the Genie + members time to go. Another could be to let the non-Genie person wait in line for about the length of standby before the DAS member enters LL.

Many ways for Disney to accommodate the solo disabled traveler without having to accommodate the non-disabled adult traveler who might stop in to the trip. If the solo disabled traveler can travel alone, they already show they don't need the companion pass and a DAS of 1 would be sufficient for need.

It may not be what a DAS holder wants. But return to line and other non-DAS options may not be what other disabled folks want, either. Everyone will fall into the "Disney is looking much more at needs vs wants" policy.

Maybe a friend is assisting a disabled person on a trip. Maybe it is a partner who doesn't live with them. Maybe someone can handle some time park alone but for longer stretches need someone else by their side. Each can be different and each scenario is quite different.

And maybe this theorization of how to crack down on wants isn't something that should be happening as right now, Disney isn't doing a solo traveler having a pass only for only them. That isn't what Disney is doing or an option they seem to be seeking. Right now, anything else is speculation and theorization and probably should not be included in the thread.

I’m not familiar with rentals for Disneyland so these may or may not work.

Convaid is a popular special needs “umbrella style” stroller, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it as a rental (100 lbs limit)
https://www.travelingbaby.com/anaheim-california/convaid-ez-mobility-stroller.html

No brand so I’m not sure of size but it looks to fit Disney parks size guidelines (oops, it is the Special Tomato, up to 90 lbs)
https://www.travelingbaby.com/anaheim-california/special-mobility-stroller-rental.html

This one has a 65 lb capacity
https://www.onestopmobility.com/disneyland/stroller-rental/
Thanks for the travelingbaby link - we didn't see that one before the trip. For the convaid it's unclear if it comes with the sunshade as it's not in the description and most pics don't have it. If they do come with the sunshade that could definitely work, so thank you.

The tomato, while having a weight capacity to 90lbs, according to the manufacturer site is meant to cap out, height wise, at 50". DD is taller than that.

The city mini that onestopmobility has is not a special needs stroller, and our child has outgrown it by both height and weight (same with BOBs). We had been renting city mini GTs on both coasts, til she outgrew it :)

City Stroller Rentals had been renting out the Axiom Lassen Mobility Pushchair, which had a larger height and weight capacity. Sadly I just went to their site and confirmed they have removed it. 😢

At Disney world, we've rented the Advanced Mobility Liberty from Kingdom Strollers (now discontinued model and it looks like they now have the Axiom Lassen 2), and the Advanced Mobility Freedom from Scooterbug. Sadly the Anaheim location for scooter bug doesn't have a special needs stroller listed either :(

Sadly the Anaheim location for scooter bug doesn't have a special needs stroller listed either :(
I found ScooterBug in Anaheim has the Freedom, but it is too large and needs special approval to be used in the parks.

I think Advanced Mobility Liberty has become Axiom Lassen, or maybe they sold their inventory. The strollers look the same.

I knew the last wasn’t “special needs” but the 65 lbs weight limit is higher than some other regular strollers.

My kids are small but tall, and don’t fit the intermediate level special tomato style.

Unfortunately we don’t live near a good children’s hospital. My friend is near a “lending library” in Cincinnati and they’re trying to set her child up with a temp wheelchair until they figure out all his needs. Since insurance will only pay once every so often if he has greater needs for stability they need to save it for that.

Thanks, it didn’t really catch me off guard. I knew it was a definite possibility. We had a couple of (not great) backups in the hotel and plans to rent this giant one if not accepted. I was grateful they let us have it that day. It gave us the chance to have it dropped off on a non-park day. When he was politely denying my request Nick said that it’s partially due to the new DAS announcement. They’re cracking down on everything. Although not checking length or caring about it at all on the advance mobility is so hypocritical IMO.

I use a Larktale caravan stroller wagon. (Jeep by Delta, Wonderfold and Keenz are other market leaders for quad stroller wagons) The need for traveling with it was highlighted this morning. My sis and DH were sleeping from the Star Wars party. At breakfast my youngest had an allergic reaction. I had to use my wagon to take multiple kids to the drugstore for allergy meds. So, now I have a year (or more-I’m not convinced I’ll be returning to theme parks for awhile) to design an adult wagon to have attachments for 3. 😂 This is a greatly needed product in the market. I am in a lot of stroller wagon groups-there are *a lot* of people with multiple small children in addition to their disabled child. Or disabled twins and an older or younger sibling. People are choosing a wagon for this reason-it’s one of the few things on the market they can fit. Although in their place I’d be using a zoe or other (up to 4) stroller until my kids didn’t fit. We were able to use a twin stroller 2 years ago and that was the last year I could fit my older 2 in it.

Last edited:
We rented the freedom from Scooterbug in Anaheim. It *did not* require a blue tag at Disney. Hypocritical, since it is outside their length requirement.

I found ScooterBug in Anaheim has the Freedom, but it is too large and needs special approval to be used in the parks.

I think Advanced Mobility Liberty has become Axiom Lassen, or maybe they sold their inventory. The strollers look the same.

I knew the last wasn’t “special needs” but the 65 lbs weight limit is higher than some other regular strollers.
Goodness, didn't see scooterbugs' side scrollers (their Orlando site is set up differently). Chalk that up to being a long week 😴

Interesting that the Freedom doesn't meet Disneyland's size. It did at WDW (we used it there after the stroller size requirements were in effect and never needed special approval). Good to know though. Also odd since it's the. Official partner for Disneyland.

In general, there's less options for outside park stroller rentals in CA than FL. I appreciate the other options you've found, though, as we likely will be heading back to DLR next year also

I'm glad that Disney is tightening restrictions and making it more individualized to the guests that need accommodations, and not so much a one size fits all kind of thing. I just hope that over time, it doesn't evolve into an unsustainable effort so that enforcement becomes unweildy. If that happens, I fear the guests with true needs, as well as the CMs, will be affected, and opens the possibility of even more abuse.
From the comments I have seen here and elsewhere, it really does not look like anybody is being declined nor have they really made any changes that have affected requestors. The only thing that may be different is the number of people you can add into your group.

I've seen the Freedom listed as anywhere from 63" to 69", so I'm not sure which is accurate. But yes over the Disney parks stroller size of 31"x52". I'm not sure what's the difference by "brand name" but BabyJogger, Advanced Mobility and Adaptive Star all appear to have the same 2 products -- the Liberty and Freedom, or also called the Axiom Lassen 2 and 3 and Axiom Improv 2 and 3. They probably don't require a stroller-as-wheelchair tag because they are so large. ScooterBug Anaheim's website indicates it can only be rented for "qualified" individuals but no idea how that is determined.

The Convaid doesn't come with a canopy. There may or may not be one as an add-on if you were to purchase it. There are actually several other styles of Convaid available for purchase as well.

From the comments I have seen here and elsewhere, it really does not look like anybody is being declined nor have they really made any changes that have affected requestors. The only thing that may be different is the number of people you can add into your group.

The new DAS qualification rules don't go into effect until pre-registrations starting on May 20th (for WDW). June 18th for DLR.

Maybe a friend is assisting a disabled person on a trip. Maybe it is a partner who doesn't live with them. Maybe someone can handle some time park alone but for longer stretches need someone else by their side. Each can be different and each scenario is quite different.

And maybe this theorization of how to crack down on wants isn't something that should be happening as right now, Disney isn't doing a solo traveler having a pass only for only them. That isn't what Disney is doing or an option they seem to be seeking. Right now, anything else is speculation and theorization and probably should not be included in the thread.
It’s all based on theories so we need to stop. But I am one that mentioned early in the thread a person could be given a theoretical accommodation of rider switch for bathroom issues. But that won’t work for someone who is traveling solo. So to qualify for a DAS with 3 friends a scammer could say but it’s just me, that won’t work, then try to switch it later saying, friends joined. If this *theoretical* DAS FOR 1was their designation they’d be told to use rider switch, the original accommodation they qualified for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter