DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I saw that... and the poster went on to explain they are "not high support needs." So that sounds as though it fits the new wording that DAS is for those unable to wait. The poster didn't explain what about those diagnoses (NOT needs) might mean they are unable to wait in a standard queue.
The exact reminder I needed today that context matters.

That is how I took it as well after reading the updates, which honestly fits with how things should go...it's not about the diagnosis, it's about the need.

That person also said they have a skin condition and heat intolerance and it was downplayed (poster's words) and only "return to queue" was offered, even though this person goes to the parks alone. So it sounds like groups of 1-2 will not be offered any special accommodations other than "return to queue" as well.

So in terms of need, it seems like at least in this 1 example, they are keeping firm to needs being only developmental disabilities even if someone has a valid other medical reason.

I saw that... and the poster went on to explain they are "not high support needs." So that sounds as though it fits the new wording that DAS is for those unable to wait. The poster didn't explain what about those diagnoses (NOT needs) might mean they are unable to wait in a standard queue.

Exactly the point. Accommodation to meet the need, not the diagnosis.

Waiting in a queue is very different from performing at a job function with different levels of accommodation.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts usage and subsequent LL queues.

That is how I took it as well after reading the updates, which honestly fits with how things should go...it's not about the diagnosis, it's about the need.
Yes, very important -- a diagnosis of "autism" is not an automatic qualification for DAS. One must still present/explain the need for the accommodation.

Boy, after reading some of the replies and additional comments to that Reddit post, I am even more grateful for our moderators here... wow, what a mess over there.
Yup, and it says a lot that that’s still one of the better Reddit threads I’ve seen on it recently (or at least one that hasn’t greatly impacted my own mental health by reading).

Confused, I’m not sure if this means they are focusing on diagnosis level or an individual’s specific statement as to their issues standing in line.

I'm not going to say the specifics but there are people putting their diagnosis' on that Reddit post and advising they have just been denied under the new rules. Now obviously we don't know what was discussed in regards to the needs specifically, but I am shocked at some of the stuff I'm seeing considering some of the conditions being mentioned.
Who is even going to be approved DAS?! It honestly seems like barely anyone...

It is really unfortunate that Disney has no further information on how Attraction Queue re-entry will work, we've already waited over a month for more information and so far we don't know much more about it other than you should inquire at each specific ride.

I assume it will work like the old bathroom pass from 2019 (mentioned here: https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/disneyland-new-star-wars-ride-long-lines-bathroom-pass ) that says if you need to leave the queue, you will be given some kind of pass (a lanyard most likely) and when you return you can use the lightning lane and then wait for your party at the merge point (or vice versa).

The reason they probably can't say this is the way it works for all rides is because some rides don't have a Lightning Lane.

It is still unknown, if you are a party of 1, does this mean you'd just go to the lightning lane and proceed onwards?

I'm not going to say the specifics but there are people putting their diagnosis' on that Reddit post and advising they have just been denied under the new rules. Now obviously we don't know what was discussed in regards to the needs specifically, but I am shocked at some of the stuff I'm seeing considering some of the conditions being mentioned.
Who is even going to be approved DAS?! It honestly seems like barely anyone...
maybe a scorched earth approach...burn it all down and then slowly rebuild it back up

It is really unfortunate that Disney has no further information on how Attraction Queue re-entry will work, we've already waited over a month for more information and so far we don't know much more about it other than you should inquire at each specific ride.

I assume it will work like the old bathroom pass from 2019 (mentioned here: https://www.travelandleisure.com/attractions/disneyland-new-star-wars-ride-long-lines-bathroom-pass ) that says if you need to leave the queue, you will be given some kind of pass (a lanyard most likely) and when you return you can use the lightning lane and then wait for your party at the merge point (or vice versa).

The reason they probably can't say this is the way it works for all rides is because some rides don't have a Lightning Lane.

It is still unknown, if you are a party of 1, does this mean you'd just go to the lightning lane and proceed onwards?
This would make sense but we aren't speculating in this thread. We need to wait for first hand reports.

Confused, I’m not sure if this means they are focusing on diagnosis level or an individual’s specific statement as to their issues standing in line.
The focus has never been diagnosis (level or severity). The focus should be on the individuals needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment.

That said... the only thing the poster shared (in the post) was 4 diagnoses and further clarified "not high support." Whether that means the individual is capable of waiting, or simply did not explain their needs well, I don't know.

There has been much discussion about how "autism" is called out as qualifying but this simply shows that diagnosis alone is not a qualifier. The individual should be prepared to explain their needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment.

I’ve read a long Facebook thread where a lot of people who previously had DAS were denied this morning. I read a few posts of people with non-developmental disabilities getting approved, so I’m assuming it really is a case by case basis on what your specific needs are, and not the disability as a blanket diagnosis? It seems like they’re really encouraging the return to queue option for a lot of people.

Boy, after reading some of the replies and additional comments to that Reddit post, I am even more grateful for our moderators here... wow, what a mess over there.
Oh my goodness I went to read some of the comments- ouch! Thank goodness for the lovely people over here!

Here now. My son qualified under the old rules for our entire trip. We have a friend who lives here that tried to update her DAS today in order to join us, she was denied. She has severe Crohns. I don’t know what they offered her if anything. We tried to add her to our group since we were approved for a group of 6 and we are a family of 5. Guest services told us if we made any changes it would put us under the new rules with a max of 4. The only exceptions would be for minor children.

A comment from someone approved this morning:
"She said I will need to go through the talk every time and even though I qualified this time, the next time I may not."

This is going to be exhausting. I know it will last 4 months if you're an AP holder but the anxiety of this meeting each time is going to be absolutely awful. Same goes for ticket based and families that visit regularly without APs.

We already purchase LL as a technique and use DAS. The issue with LL is they expire, if my mom needs time, DAS gives you the ability to wait until she is ready. Also if a LL is too long, we wait for it to be shorter to prevent an episode-DAS does not expire-so you have flexibility. Look bottom line is we adore Disney, but I’m not risking the health of my mother for a ride on Peter Pan.
I would also like to add that while I have the ability to purchase LL-it’s really terrible that the solution to a disability is for the disabled person to purchase an additional cost item in order to be able to go to the parks. Many with disabilities, including my family member cannot make the choice to stand in the regular line. LL is not “preferred” it is required for their health. Otherwise, Disney is a place they do not go-just like many other places they cannot attend.

Guess we'll see how other disabilities are dealt with over the coming days.

Disney's new verbiage on the DAS page:

What to Know About DAS
  • DAS is intended to accommodate only those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar disorder, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.
  • DAS doesn’t provide immediate access to experiences, but rather allows Guests to request a return time for a specific experience that is comparable to the current standby wait.
  • The Guest for which DAS is being requested must be present during registration and must experience the attraction when redeeming a DAS return time at Walt Disney World theme parks.
That language is not new. The first point has been on the Disney sites DAS pages since April 9. The only thing I see that's changed is it had said "small number of guests" in some places instead of "only those guests".
The other points have been on the Disney sites since 2013 when DAS started.
There were several places with information about DAS - the general DAS page, a link for more information under the registration process and then under the link for registration.
Each stated it a little differently, but they were essentially the same.
do you still need to register 30 days before your 1st day of your trip if the new das is good for 100 days?

We have a trip in august, i emailed the disability team and got a cut and paste back of the website but wasnt clear.
It's still 30 days in advance of the trip. It's restated on the websites "as soon as 30 days in advance of the trip."
It's not 100 days. The websites say:
"DAS is valid for the length of the ticket or up to 120 days, whichever is shorter. Once the service has elapsed, Guests need to re-register for the program."

The Disneyland website previously had the 'length of the ticket' wording. The WDW website previously only listed DAS remained valid "up to" a number of days.
Same. I also think there will be a decent number of folks who are unaware of the change and will show up at the parks to register/renew DAS in person - we may never hear from them because most DISers are planners, though.

This is becoming a theme, I think. My CM wasn’t so direct, and the one specific question they asked seemed strange in the moment, but coupled with your experience and that of a couple others, I think this was what they were getting at: sorting people into “can’t wait in queues at all” vs. “can wait if allowed to leave for short breaks.”

That is simply bizarre - dining has nothing to do with DAS!

Oh, much better wording, Disney! Commas are important, lol!

This was and is still my concern: have the CMs received adequate training to discern what disabilities can be accommodated by a “brief” leaving of the line vs. those that will need to be one for hours, or even the rest of the day? I assume this is where Guests are going to need to use the “right” words in their interviews.

I’m also intrigued by the notion that every location has magically come up with a means of making this work… overnight. I’m a WDW parks veteran of 30+ years: I know the queues inside and out. And I cannot fathom an easy way for people to navigate this. And as a solo visitor, how exactly do you leave the line and “rejoin your party”??
Other experiences beside this board: I've been monitoring a number of other places on the web since the upcoming changes were announced. I will be continuing to do that.

Additional questions: the last 2 times I registered my daughter for DAS, we were asked additional questions after having answered the usual questions about concerns with waiting in line. I believe they were doing those questions for data collection during those calls rather than for registration.
And, that would be the point where guests would be divided into those who can leave briefly vs those who can't. Those questions would be pertinent even for the guests with developmental disabilities - needs vary and some might need to leave the line, but could return.
As we always have, we would ask that people not share their specific concerns or what they said.

Dining has nothing to do with DAS:
that is true, but it's pertinent to the OP's registration.
They had 4 day tickets to be used over a 7 day period (I think I remember the 7 day period right). But, they had dining reservations for 5 days.
The new wording says "DAS is valid for the length of ticket or up to 120 days, whichever is shorter"
In the OP's situation, which dining was cancelled would make a difference in DAS start or end date; day 1 or 5 would change the start or end date. A day in the middle wouldn't.
I THINK (hope) they would eventually make DAS valid for the whole date range for those date based tickets. That would be easier and would allow the user to have some flexibility within the window the tickets are valid.

Training of CMs: it's up to the guest to understand and explain their needs. The CM needs to understand the available accommodations and be able to explain to the guest how to use them.
I'm sure there will be people sharing what they said to CMs, but the CMs will be looking at the process as DAS being primarily for people with developmental disabilities and other guests receiving other accommodations. @lanejudy and I will be watching for and removing sharing of information that might be abused

Every location coming up with means of making it work overnight: we first heard about it on April 9, but Disney has likely been working on the changes for a long time. We don't know when they started working with Inspire Health, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear it had been a year or even longer.
One of the things Disney has said is that much of the work with Inspire was going to be park based - looking at changes to attractions and procedures to better accommodate guests. They also indicated a lot of the training would involve front line attraction staff.
My family was at WDW from April 14 to May 1, 2024 and did notice some changes that had been made. Some were CM interactions and some were queue changes.

There’s a report on Reddit here from someone who called today with non-developmental disabilities, hope this is ok to link to.
Here's another firsthand report from a castmember on WDWMagic:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-das-system-at-walt-disney-world-2024.983481/post-10929101

Well, it's official... I was just denied my DAS. I am a Cast Member and Disney has proof of my disabilities, and they provide me accommodation while I work, but apparently the new system is so restrictive that I do not qualify for accommodations while I come in on my days off. I have POTS, Hashimoto's, a very severe skin condition, and autism.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter