DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Gotcha -

For RS as it is now you have to bring the entire party to the CM prior to entering the line, they measure the child (if they are borderline) and if the child doesn't meet the height restriction the CM will issue the RS to 2 riders / the party riding second to return and ride via LL. Until this recent change you could not use RS unless the child was too short to ride and can't enter the line.

My hope is that people who are advised to use RS instead of DAS will have this on their profile to eliminate the need to request the RS form the CM and disclose whatever issues qualified them for the RS/DAS accommodation.
It would make sense to me that a determination to have the guest use RS would be made during the DAS call, and then it could be on your MDE.

Ah! Ok I see the issue. It seems to me that the simplest solution would be to simply give RS to whoever asks for it instead of having the need marked in your profile or keep measuring short kids. After all, only the parties that actually need it would be willing to compromise and split their group, and that might be enough of a deterrent for abuser to use the service to join the LL for "free" since they wouldn't be saving any time overall.
Some parties have used RS to get "double rides" for people in their party- the very core of the "swap" language. My understanding is that Disney has been clamping down on the number of people accompanying the "second" rider to one. This may limit interest in the "double" ride technique. They could also block someone who just rode from entering the LL as a RS companion, but that defeats the idea of the RS rider experiencing the attraction with a companion of their choice (Disney could potentially override this approach for DAS to address issues where the RS rider needs assistance in line or boarding/unloading from an attraction.

instead of having the need marked in your profile or keep measuring short kids
There will always be the need to measure short kids because too-short means they are not allowed into the queue. I wouldn't be surprised if RS opened to anyone who needs someone to wait -- disability or scared kid or non-riding adult who needs supervision, etc.

Some parties have used RS to get "double rides" for people in their party
While that may have been true at one time, I don't really think it is now. Disney only allows a max of 2 guests in the "2nd party" -- so essentially the waiting adult + 1 who may or may not have ridden in the 1st party. It's also only possible to hold 1 rider swap for the group at a time; no more stacking them to use at the end of the day.

I guess I'd need more info to have an opinion on that since I've never heard or experienced such a thing. Hopefully the new medical staff/CMs will know about such things and have suggestions or solutions.
Well I hope so too! A trained medical person hopefully will be competent enough to make decisions. I also would be happy to provide medical records and disabled ID.

I still find it strange that all international Disney Parks requires doctors note/medical records or ID.

I just don't understand how can they make just decisions based on a video call only.

In my book if someone truly need any kind of accommodation that person probably went through enough already and has medical proof.

Still not finding fair to single out only 1 type of disability. If really that's the case.

On a separate note I would still go to Disney but probably would have to skip the rides with more than 20-25 min wait. But that will be my choice. My choice forced by the fact that DAS is not offered for me....

Let's hope for the best! :)

Not everyone with a developmental disability will get DAS, but some will based on their needs. I don’t want to go into why they might need it, but some truly do.
I genuinely cannot see why a developmental disability that precludes waiting in a standby queue would not be accommodated by that person and a caretaker waiting outside the queue environment and riding later via rider swap. If Disney goes this route, why would that person still require DAS? (Again assuming party size over 2 and with at least 2 competent caretakers).

A trained medical person hopefully will be competent enough to make decisions.
The "trained medical person" is not going to be handling the DAS video chats. It's expected the partnership with Inspire Health will be for training Disney CMs and possibly consultation.

I still find it strange that all international Disney Parks requires doctors note/medical records or ID.
Disney parks in non-US locations must follow the laws of the respective country. As has been explained earlier in this thread, disability laws in other countries differ vastly from US laws -- largely due to the US medical system and lack of any coordinated national registry.

I genuinely cannot see why a developmental disability that precludes waiting in a standby queue would not be accommodated by that person and a caretaker waiting outside the queue environment and riding later via rider swap. If Disney goes this route, why would that person still require DAS? (Again assuming party size over 2 and with at least 2 competent caretakers).
I really like to know the answer for this.
Good question!

Young kids on ASD can have a significant trouble with separation anxiety. Splitting the party to two can be consequential.

Older folk with ASD who have developed sufficient coping skills and possible effective meds maybe able to utilize RS effectively; but that would be an individual decision made with the CM on the video chat (and how RS/return to queue really translates out post implementation).

I personally haven't checked all the international parks so I'm not sure if they all do (and they may but I'm not going to check them) but I think it's important to note that typically when this is the case it's not related to a theme park specifically. It's spreads out usually through many parts of their society and cultures.

But to give an example because we're going to Tokyo Disneyland later this year I looked at their website and it says for guests who have difficulty standing in line

1713111608451.png

It's not just documentation required there it's that the country has to have issued a special certificate for Japanese residents. And you could reasonably assume that the certificate is something they are well used to showing and needing for a wide array of situations they may encounter. And pertaining to your comment you'd need to provide (since we're international guests) something that is equivalent is required. I'm sure someone on the Tokyo Disneyland subforum here has in real life experience just what that equivalent is (at least some examples) but it was just to show it's often much more than theme parks.

Not everyone with a developmental disability requires a "caregiver" at all times. Some qualify for DAS even as solo adult travelers. Disney has stated developmental disabilities will be considered for DAS, not that they will be automatically granted DAS. The diagnosis in and of itself is not a qualifier, there also has to be need. Some with a developmental disability may be offered an alternative accommodation; some may not need any accommodation. Some may be granted DAS.

Young kids on ASD can have a significant trouble with separation anxiety. Splitting the party to two can be consequential.

Older folk with ASD who have developed sufficient coping skills and possible effective meds maybe able to utilize RS effectively; but that would be an individual decision made with the CM on the video chat (and how RS/return to queue really translates out post implementation).
I understand. I really don't want to be rude but other posters doing this to different kind of disabilities all over the forum... questioning everything...

So that little kids in their every day lives spending all of their time with ALL their family together?
I guess in a park environment is not their usual, cosy, safe place but something different and more challenging. I can get that. But that is true for other disabilities and health problems too. Others must have to come over unusual, challenging circumstances too.

My point is ONLY that is not fair to single out 1 particular disability!

I personally haven't checked all the international parks so I'm not sure if they all do (and they may but I'm not going to check them) but I think it's important to note that typically when this is the case it's not related to a theme park specifically. It's spreads out usually through many parts of their society and cultures.

But to give an example because we're going to Tokyo Disneyland later this year I looked at their website and it says for guests who have difficulty standing in line

View attachment 851556

It's not just documentation required there it's that the country has to have issued a special certificate for Japanese residents. And you could reasonably assume that the certificate is something they are well used to showing and needing for a wide array of situations they may encounter. And pertaining to your comment you'd need to provide (since we're international guests) something that is equivalent is required. I'm sure someone on the Tokyo Disneyland subforum here has in real life experience just what that equivalent is (at least some examples) but it was just to show it's often much more than theme parks.
Just read the last 2 lines in your quote from Tokyo Disney website

Some parties have used RS to get "double rides" for people in their party- the very core of the "swap" language. My understanding is that Disney has been clamping down on the number of people accompanying the "second" rider to one. This may limit interest in the "double" ride technique. They could also block someone who just rode from entering the LL as a RS companion, but that defeats the idea of the RS rider experiencing the attraction with a companion of their choice (Disney could potentially override this approach for DAS to address issues where the RS rider needs assistance in line or boarding/unloading from an attraction.
I see what you mean but I guess I don't really see the harm in a single person of a group potentially double riding. Most attractions sit two ppl side by side and lots others are a family per vehicle.

Maybe a time block would help, if someone with a RS can't ride anything else till they use it or something similar to the 10 min timeout DAS will implement. Someone holding a RS cannot tap into a line until at least 20 min have passed since getting it. 🤔

And pertaining to your comment you'd need to provide (since we're international guests) something that is equivalent is required. I'm sure someone on the Tokyo Disneyland subforum here has in real life experience just what that equivalent is (at least some examples) but it was just to show it's often much more than theme parks.

Just read the last 2 lines in your quote from Tokyo Disney website

I've never tried so my info is anecdotal from reading others' reports -- but my understanding is that it can be very hard for a US resident to obtain proper documentation to use to prove disability in Japan. That may depend on the disability and the accommodation requested. But there have definitely been US residents who were not able to obtain the documentation required in the timeframe required.

Three or four of us have answered this question already because it has been asked multiple times but there are 120 pages so I’m sure you’ve missed it. I’m not going to answer again because I think some people will use what is said here to lie to get DAS. (Not the people with disabilities but the people already lying to get DAS.) I’m going to explain my daughter’s needs to Disney and they will decide. My point is that everyone should not receive the same accommodations because their needs are not the same. I work in a school and if you look at testing accommodations, some kids get none. Some kids get small group testing, some get extra time, some get 1:1 testing, some get the test read aloud to them, some get a paper and pencil test. It isn’t “unfair” that someone gets a different accommodation than you. They are needs based. You can’t have a blanket accommodation for everyone. I truly believe disabilities other than developmental will still get DAS if that is what meets their needs. A lot of people are assuming they won’t get DAS, but based on situations I’m hearing, I think a lot still will. We all just need to explain our needs to Disney and not try to take accommodations away from others or compare disabilities.

Not everyone with a developmental disability requires a "caregiver" at all times. Some qualify for DAS even as solo adult travelers. Disney has stated developmental disabilities will be considered for DAS, not that they will be automatically granted DAS. The diagnosis in and of itself is not a qualifier, there also has to be need. Some with a developmental disability may be offered an alternative accommodation; some may not need any accommodation. Some may be granted DAS.
I think this is not the answer for the question.
The question was: would they need DAS if basically the disabled party (provided it's not only 1 person who is not possible to do rider switch) is waiting outside of line until the other part of the family/group is in regular line.
....and doing a rider switch.

In this case the disabled party would wait wherever is convenient for them. And the non disabled family/group members would be in the normal stand by line.
So basically a rider switch!

Which might/probably/possible would be offered for other disabilities.

No one questioning the needs for getting the necessary accommodation. The question was WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT from ANYONE ELSE.

At least this is how I understand the original question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter