Landmark Space Launch scheduled Monday May 6 10:34pm

ParrotBill

Yo ho, yo ho, a parrot's life for me
The first crewed launch of a new space launch system, the Boeing CST-100 Starliner (no Boeing jokes please), has been approved and remains scheduled for Monday evening, May 6, at 10:34 pm EDT. It will be mounted on a heavy lift Atlas 5 rocket.

Of course, launches often get delayed, but here's hoping. If it's still on as of Monday afternoon and the weather is good I will make the drive to see it close up.
But night launches are usually visible in decent weather from any place in Disney with a clear view to the east.
Here are some suggestions:

This site tracks launches: https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
This is news about it being cleared: https://spaceflightnow.com/2024/04/...t-communication-reestablished-with-voyager-1/
This is the official site: https://www.boeing.com/space/starliner#overview
I have not found a site that is carrying the launch, but I think it will be on NASA TV, start here: https://www.nasa.gov/

If you drive east, the launch will be from Pad 41. Locate it on Google Maps, and find any roadway in the area with a clear view. A1A causeway is a good choice, as is the Max Brewer Highway bridge west side by the Pier 220 restaurant and bar (sadly, only open to 9 pm).

Back in November 2022 we got to watch a launch off the back of the Disney Fantasy.
We had boarded the ship early and went to Animators for lunch. We happened to sit down next to a family and started talking.
They mentioned the there was a launch that day and it was supposed to go off before we left Port Canaveral.
We had no idea there was going to be a launch that day so we went to the outside deck next to Meridian to watch.

DSC_3296.JPG

DSC_3406.JPG

Wouldn’t you be able to see it lighting up the sky pretty much anywhere where you can see the sky in the east, even if you were in one of the parks? I remember seeing the Space Shuttle launch at night as a kid from Kissimmee and it lit up the whole sky.

Scrubbed for tonight. I'm waiting for updates on the next attempt. I have heard possibly tomorrow night but I'm sure it will be dependent on resolution of the faulty valve

Was at Epcot and was hoping to see the launch but with the excitement of the run to get rides in before end of magic hours I completely forgot. Would have been cool to see the rocket lancing through the night sky. Will catch one someday. My interest in this launch came from the fact that it will be the first manned flight launch from the cape canaveral in over 40 years.

Huh?? Cape Canaveral is Kennedy Space Center. And there been manned launches all along.

There was a span of time where there were no crewed launches after the Space Shuttle retired, but there have been several Crew Dragon launches from there more recently.

There was a span of time where there were no crewed launches after the Space Shuttle retired, but there have been several Crew Dragon launches from there more recently.

Right. But the shuttles were manned & the last one launched in 2011. So less than 13 years. Not the 40 years the PP stated.

That is a pretty fine distinction to make to say that it is the "first in X years" from that location. It is the same general area.
Sure, they're in the same general area, but one property is owned by NASA and the other by DoD. Not a small distinction.

They do plaster it being historic on our television news (Orlando region); to me it's a little bit of stretch to garner more attention citing the pad location. As far as it being from Boeing, then I think the distinction is more warranted.

I usually can see any launch from KSC, but while it can be crystal clear skies around the launch pad, it can be cloudy near my home. And that's when disappointment can set in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter