Daughter In A Boot

Mommyof3inVA

Mouseketeer
My 13 year old daughter just injured her ankle yesterday and we are going to Disney very soon...like 4 days away. She is in a boot. Should we rent her a scooter? Is the tram from the parking lot still running? Any advice? Thank you!

I believe you must be 18 for most rental scooters, and while I sympathize tremendously with your daughter’s situation, this is probably a wise policy. Not sure if she would even enjoy a full day driving one, as wide-eyed guests wander without a second glance and stop suddenly with no concern for those using a motorized device. A 13 year old should be able to BE a wide-eyed guest without having the responsibility of paying constant attention to driving.

By all means, rent a wheelchair for the duration of your trip. She’ll always have a seat when she needs it, and can walk when she feels up to it, even push the chair herself if she just needs an extra bit of stability and support While she is on her feet.

Oops - should have mentioned the option of a knee scooter. It would keep her on her feet (foot?) and give her control as well as independence from being pushed. However, since this is a recent injury and she doesn’t have time to get used to a knee scooter, she might find it more tiring than enjoyable.

I was in a boot for over 6 months.
The wheelchair would be best option. I had a knee scooter and can’t imagine using one at Disney. Your leg gets tired-

Is it a low boot or one that hits below knee. See if you can order additional liner on Amazon. They make covers she can use if she needs to wear boot in shower.

Plan on rinsing out boot liner at night. They smell- I would spray my leg with spray deodorant.
Ibuprofen or whatever doctor prescribed
Elevate leg as much as possible

My daughter broke her foot a week before we went to Disney and was in a boot. We bought a wheelchair and pushed her, it was just the easiest option for everyone. I would not recommend a knee scooter for long distances -- wheelchair all the way or you could buy one. I bought an inexpensive chair to take with us for convenience for about $125 on Amazon, plus it was smaller in size for her. She was 8 at the time.

Talk to your doctor. Mine said that all the walking at Disney would result in increased damage and improper healing in a boot. Instead, they suggested a brace for that time.

Agree with everyone else and say you're gonna need a wheelchair!! I had foot surgery last year and there was NO WAY I could have walked around Disney all day the week after! Or used my knee scooter, my other leg would start to protest after about a half mile just getting around town! It was not fun!

OP - you can probably find an inexpensive wheelchair to purchase at home, be sure it has footrests so that boot isn't dangling all day. Alternatively, I'd rent a wheelchair from a third-party vendor so you have it to use all day including to/from transportation, around the resort and DS or anywhere else you may go. The parks do rent wheelchairs but it must remain in the park - not even out to the parking lots.

Might I suggest that you reschedule? Disney has been and is very accommodating with extenuating circumstances. First, her attraction experience will be not as magical. Second, there will be no pool experience with a boot. Yes, I live in FL and realize it is somewhat cool right now.But why spend this huge amount of money and get even less than others without a boot are getting?

My 13 year old daughter just injured her ankle yesterday and we are going to Disney very soon...like 4 days away. She is in a boot. Should we rent her a scooter? Is the tram from the parking lot still running? Any advice? Thank you!
Had major surgery a few years ago. Was not permitted any weight on my foot for 12 weeks. During this time I was recieving my doctorate (still in cast) and also traveling to Mount Vernon for a week leadership conference. A knee cart was a blessing. You do not have to "get used" to the knee cart. It is just easy to use. I was able to do everything with minor adjustments. I was in a boot and out of the cast by the time I went to DC. The biggest issue I had over the 12 weeks was major swelling due to heat. At the doctor's prompting I took ace bandages and extra thick baggies. I filled the baggies with ice and used the ace bandages to hold them to my foot and lower leg each night. I think a knee cart is so worth it. Good luck.

No scooter as you must be 18 to operate one in the parks. Not even outside vendors will rent to you unless she uses one in her daily life at home.

you are going to have to rent a manual chair. Off site vendors will have pediatric ones that would be more comfortable

My daughter was in a boot for months due to a foot injury (and ultimately, surgery) a couple years ago. Her doctor was fine with the Disney trip, but we did rent the wheelchair at Disney. While she could manage walking in the boot for school and regular getting around, Disney-level walking was too much. We also requested wheelchair assistance in the airport.
We did Uber at times rather than use busses to save her some walking. In some parks, some times, courtesy wheelchairs were available to take her to/from busses but not always, but she was ok to walk in the boot the distance from the front gate to the bus for the most part.
FWIW, even without the DAS (which we neither requested nor needed) Disney was super accommodating of helping her as needed as far as access.

My daughter was in a boot for months due to a foot injury (and ultimately, surgery) a couple years ago. Her doctor was fine with the Disney trip, but we did rent the wheelchair at Disney. While she could manage walking in the boot for school and regular getting around, Disney-level walking was too much. We also requested wheelchair assistance in the airport.
We did Uber at times rather than use busses to save her some walking. In some parks, some times, courtesy wheelchairs were available to take her to/from busses but not always, but she was ok to walk in the boot the distance from the front gate to the bus for the most part.
FWIW, even without the DAS (which we neither requested nor needed) Disney was super accommodating of helping her as needed as far as access.
DAS are not given for mobility issues

Thank you for the responses! I called Disney and they said they do have complimentary wheelchairs in the parking lots for us to use to push her to the entrance. Then we can rent a wheelchair at each park.

We took a wheelchair for our daughter for a couple trips. The first one she was freshly in a boot and could move from chair to rides, and the second trip she was fairly mobile, but we didn't need her trying to walk all day in the boot. Insurance paid 100% for a rental pediatric wheelchair, for what that's worth, in our situation.

Thank you for the responses! I called Disney and they said they do have complimentary wheelchairs in the parking lots for us to use to push her to the entrance. Then we can rent a wheelchair at each park.
do not count on that because there is not always any in parking lot and you can not send someone ahead to rent and bring to you if none are there. have only seen a few in the lots at the parks and never any at MK. ps we have found any at end of day to get you back to car and park rentals are not allowed past the gate even if you have used all day. ps do not trust what phone call center tells you as they are not always right. ps as of now there are no trams in parking lots from what I hear and there has never been one from handicapped/ medical lot at MK which is not in the main lots there

Injured as in sprained, broken, etc? Not that it matters she probably shouldn't be walking around I was just curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter