Day 1 in Orlando ( day 10 post 109)

dc1964

DIS Veteran
Well just arrived at Hawthorn suites after a great flight with Virgin, we were upgraded to premium economy on the upper deck which was only a third full, I have said before on this forum that the aircraft is only a means of travel to get to Orlando and i did not care where i sit. Well I take it back, Premium economy was vastly superior to economy, if i can afford it in future then I will probably pay for it but the free upgrade was great, we only got it because DW was cheeky enough to ask a stewardess and they delivered.
Service and food was great, and the IFE was very good.
We landed a few minutes late at 3pm and was at the Hawthorne suites by 4.15pm. Think we got an upgrade on the car, i ordered a Dodge charger but they gave us a Chrysler 300,mind you i think we were stung for the fuel, they reckon it is $92 for the tank of fuel, unfortunately i could not prepay the fuel with the company i booked with.
In the room now, nice suite. going down for a free beer at the managers reception, beer does tend to feature a lot in my reports as anyone who remembers last years will testify.
It is pouring down outside, we were going to walk to Tony Romas but might have to drive now.
I will report whenever i can and if anyone has any questions while i am here please ask

well done on getting the upgrade!

Have a great time! looking forward to hearing more about your trip :)

I had exactly the same attitude with flights. Nothing wrong with economy, I can afford to go 4 times a year for price of once in Biz class, why would anyone pay that kind of money. Well after experiencing it if anyone can afford it its worth every penny.
I have never been in PE but I am sure its a better way to travel.

The C300 is Luxury as far as I know so you got unpgrade there also. We got one once, nice car. You probably got the V6 engine?
V6 engine - 66L (18 gallons)
V8 engine - 72L (19 gallons)

18 gallons at $2.56 (todays price @ Racetrac Celebration) $46.08
Looks like they charged you double going rate. Just look at it as paying £28 for the upgrade.:goodvibes
Did you ask if you could take it back full? always been able to do that if not prepaid. Who is it with?
Enjoy.

the car hire company was carhire3000, i phoned them to check what insurance was included and they said the only thing i could not prepay was the petrol, i am not overly fussed about the petrol cost from dollar, i suspect that like u say wayne they have upgraded me to luxury car and hidden the payment in the paperwork.
I think the waitress just tried to rip us off in Tony Romas, the bill was $50 , we left $100 and was going to leave a $10 tip when change arrived. When she took the money she very nicely said, "thankyou and hope to see u again some time." she clearly had no intention of bringing change. We sat there for 10 mins and she then obviously realised that we were not just going to walk away and she said " oh sorry i forgot your change"
We still left the tip but it did leave a bit of a sour taste.
Something for people to be aware of.

how lucky to have been upgraded!! business class makes traveling less painful and when it's free, all the better!!!

have a wonderful holiday!!!

how lucky to have been upgraded!! business class makes traveling less painful and when it's free, all the better!!!

have a wonderful holiday!!!

They were upgraded to PE but I am sure it beats economy when not expected.

We had a couple of meals where money matters have not been what they should, I remember one where a discount coupon wasn't taken off, I suspect deliberately but can't be sure, it was his resoponse to me telling him, very false.
For me when anything like this happens I tip less, I am sure they lose out trying it on.

Fantastic getting a free upgrade, hope you have a lovely time.

I always think once you up the game a bit and stay in a better hotel or better seat on a plane it makes it harder to drop down again.

They were upgraded to PE but I am sure it beats economy when not expected.

We had a couple of meals where money matters have not been what they should, I remember one where a discount coupon wasn't taken off, I suspect deliberately but can't be sure, it was his resoponse to me telling him, very false.
For me when anything like this happens I tip less, I am sure they lose out trying it on.

sorry...never flown virgin - i thought the upper deck was business...
well i suppose anything is better than economy :goodvibes and the price was right ..

Just in Nascar having beer and nachos. Warm today but
had been overcast. Stopped at dollar to sort out the car,they had priced us up for an SUV for the petrol so had it amended. It came down 6 dollars. They add $1 per gallon on to the cost of petrol. Also there was a $12 charge for using airport. So maybe not as excessive as first thought.
Nachos have arrived so got to eat.

Day 2

Woke today about 4am so put the tv on. How often do they repeat the weather. It is unbelievable. Accurate though.
Had breakfast of coffee and English muffin.
Got to Universal about 8.30 and decided to try the new rip ride rocket rollercoaster, unfortuneately it was not going to open till 11 so did the Simpsons, men in black(which IMHO is rubbish,good fir kids I suppose) and the mummy. Then went for the nachos at Nascar,they were very nice, had pulled pork on them. And of course the obligatory bottle of Bud.
Went back to rocket roller coaster and there was 60 min queue. All other rides were walk on with no wait.
We went on as single riders so it only took 20 mins. Very good ride and has novel feature of choosing your own music to listen to. At the end u can view the individual DVD of yourself on the ride and of course purchase it. We did not bother.
We left universal and went to Walmart for a few snacks and returned to the hotel , now sitting round the pool. Warm but cloudy. Weather is set fair all week apart from Thursday when they say it will be cold,66 deg, before heating up again Friday.
We will have a few free beers at 5.30 and will take a walk to bahama breeze for tea.
Hope weather is good in uk.

Having flown Premium Economy on our last 2 holidays it is worth it if you can afford it. However, it is much better if you are upstairs in the 'bubble', more room, quieter and the cabin crew seem happier up there too.
Downstairs is still worth it but if you can get on the upper deck it's a totally different experience.

Shame as at the moment we are seated downstairs both ways next year.

The opening times of some of the rides at Universal Studios are a pain to say the least, at Easter this year there were at least 5 attractions not open till 11, not great when you get there early to beat the crowds.

Having flown Premium Economy on our last 2 holidays it is worth it if you can afford it. However, it is much better if you are upstairs in the 'bubble', more room, quieter and the cabin crew seem happier up there too.
Downstairs is still worth it but if you can get on the upper deck it's a totally different experience.

Shame as at the moment we are seated downstairs both ways next year.

The opening times of some of the rides at Universal Studios are a pain to say the least, at Easter this year there were at least 5 attractions not open till 11, not great when you get there early to beat the crowds.

yes the upper deck was superb and only a third full, it was very relaxed.

we sat at the ride we waiting for it to open but gave up when the crowd suddenly appeared at 11am waiting to rush the gate, so we went for early lunch instead.

We walked to Chilis last night and had a 3 course meal for 2 for $20, Wayne mentioned this a while ago, it was very good value but we were a bit too tired to fully enjoy it, we brought the pudding back in a box and was fast asleep in bed by 10pm. Unfortuneatly wide awake at 4am.

It is now 5.30am so am going to the gym to for a while. Waking up so early is definately a down side of travelling to florida, it always takes me a few days to sort my body clock out.

Think we will go to IOA after breakfast, maybe stop at Mall of Millenia first.

yes the upper deck was superb and only a third full, it was very relaxed.

we sat at the ride we waiting for it to open but gave up when the crowd suddenly appeared at 11am waiting to rush the gate, so we went for early lunch instead.

We walked to Chilis last night and had a 3 course meal for 2 for $20, Wayne mentioned this a while ago, it was very good value but we were a bit too tired to fully enjoy it, we brought the pudding back in a box and was fast asleep in bed by 10pm. Unfortuneatly wide awake at 4am.

It is now 5.30am so am going to the gym to for a while. Waking up so early is definately a down side of travelling to florida, it always takes me a few days to sort my body clock out.

Think we will go to IOA after breakfast, maybe stop at Mall of Millenia first.

Sounds great, have fun. It takes us at least 3 days to get the sleep pattern right, mind you our lad gets up before 5am every day of the year :)

We always get to the parks early, but have found on recent holidays a lot of the attractions at Universal not opening till around 11, when you have Jaws, Barney, Disaster, and then Woody Woodpecker/Curious George which are usually at least 10am - then that's quite a few attractions not available. Shouldn't overly concern me I suppose but it does!

We will be there next Tues :yay: and am packing - it is shorts weather???

xx

Last few trips we haven't had any problems with the body clock.
1st evening stay up as late as poss, DW & DS usually make it til about 11pm, I stay up til 12ish. Problem we have is if we give in and go 9ish, then we are all wrong and up early for 2-3 days.

It is definately shorts weather. 83 deg. Starts out cloudy then hots up. Cooler tomorrow apparently. Just for one day.
In Orlando ale house at the moment for lunch. Did not
know there was one on I drive, it must be new. Fosters is cold and served with pastrami on rye. Nice.

It is definately shorts weather. 83 deg. Starts out cloudy then hots up. Cooler tomorrow apparently. Just for one day.
In Orlando ale house at the moment for lunch. Did not
know there was one on I drive, it must be new. Fosters is cold and served with pastrami on rye. Nice.

I noticed it was there in April though sadly didn't get chance to go in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter