Day 6 - Our Southern California Trip (DL inc. Blue Bayou, Fantasmic Dessert Buffet)

jabead

DIS Veteran
Cast - DH, 3 kids (ages 6, 9, 12), and myself

Dates - June 21 - July 3, 2002

Day 6 - Again received an early wake-up call (the kids said it was Stitch instead of Mickey like at WDW) and with a brief stop at Whitewater Snacks for coffee, bagels, apple, and cereal to go we were in line for Disneyland at about 7:50. We ate our breakfast while in line and were just finishing up when they opened the gates. We first headed to Indiana Jones (a ride they don't have at WDW) and rode it twice before there were any lines. We all thought it was a pretty cool ride. Then it was on to one of our WDW favorites - Big Thunder Mtn. Railroad. This was pretty much the same as at WDW and we rode it twice. We then went to New Orleans Square to do Haunted Mansion (pretty much the same) and Pirates of the Caribbean (better than at WDW). BTW, I really liked this area of the park and wished that WDW had a New Orleans Square. Anyway we then went back to Adventureland to do the rest of the rides/attractions there - Jungle Cruise, Tarzan's Treehouse (where we saw Terk, but no Tarzan or Jane - neither of which we have ever seen), and the Tiki room. Then it was almost 11:30 and time for our reservation for lunch at the Blue Bayou. There was a large crowd of people there waiting when we checked in at the podium (they open at 11:30). We waited 5 - 10 min. to be seated. By this time all the tables by the water were taken so I was a little dissappointed, but the atmosphere was still beautiful. It reminded us of San Angel Inn at WDW (one of our favorites) only quieter because it didn't have the noisy marketplace right next to it. Anyway I had heard about the crab cakes and the Monte Cristo here and couldn't decide between the two so had DD1 order the Monte Cristo (knowing she would probably not be able to eat it all) and I ordered the crab cakes. The crab cakes were served on a bed of rice and were good but only got I think three cakes that were each the size of a silver dollar. The Monte Cristo was huge however and there would have been plenty for the two of us to share (without the crab cakes, LOL!). The Monte Cristo was delicious and overall the better choice of the two IMHO. DH got the jambalaya (which he said was spicy, but good - he drank several glasses of water with it, LOL!) and the other two kids got kids meals which included chicken nuggets/mini corn dogs, mashed potatoes, corn cobbette, and jello w/ whip cream for dessert. I think we have the only children on this earth who don't like jello so DH ended up eating them (I was way too full!!!). After lunch we headed back to Adventureland to see the Aladdin & Jasmine show (story time) which was cute. BTW, we first headed to Splash Mtn. to get Fast Passes but the time was already 8:00p.m. (this was at about 1:30) and we already had plans (Surprise# 3 - Fantasmic Dessert Buffet) so without ruining the surprise I just strongly suggested that we wait and go on another day and the others agreed. After getting autographs and pics with Aladdin & Jasmine after the show we headed to Frontierland. We saw Woody & Jessie in an area behind the Golden Horseshoe and then went into the GH to see the variety show there. We got seats right next to the stage and DH went and got us a couple of drinks to share. Just as the show was starting he arrived with the drinks and DD1 immediately picked one up and spilled it all over herself, the table, and me (as I was sitting right next to her)- UGH!!!. With the help of the very nice people sitting at the next table we quickly cleaned up the the table and got a new chair for DD1. We stayed for the show which was corny but good and then left the park to go back to the room and change. We rested for awhile and then walked back to DL and took the railroad to New Orleans Square. Here we ate at the French Market (got a 10% discount with my annual pass). We all shared the clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl (very good, but lots of bread and not much chowder) and two kids meals of macaroni & cheese (Stouffers, which my kids really like). I then told them about the surprise (even DH didn't know about this one because he would have never agreed to it if he knew how much it cost - $41 pp). We went to the Disney Gallery at about 8:00 (Fantismic was at 9:00) and were the first in line to be seated. BTW, I had called exactly 30 days prior to reserve this and picked up the tickets at the Guest Relations window just outside the DL park entrance that morning. They began seating at about 8:30 and our family was first so got the best seats. They even took some pictures of us in front of the beautiful dessert table before seating the next group. I tried three of the many desserts on the table (cheesecake, layered chocolate cake, and creme brulee) and they were all delicious. They also had fruit kabobs with chocolate sauce (which DD1 and DH said were fantastic) and creme puffs (which DS loved) plus a couple of other things which none of us tried. The kids and I all had sodas and DH tried a mint julip. I tasted it but didn't care for it (it kind of tasted like spearmint gum to me). Then DH and I both had coffee later. The show was wonderful and we had a perfect view. Seeing all the people standing around the river (several rows deep) before and during the show I knew I had made the right choice. Our kids would have complained the whole time that they had to stand and that they couldn't see (blah, blah, blah) and wouldn't have let me enjoy one of my favorites from WDW, Fantasmic. BTW, I think this version was even better than at WDW but wish they had seats available for it (that didn't cost $41 pp, LOL!) After the show we were told that we were welcome to stay and watch the 9:35 fireworks so we happily did just that. DH and I sipped on our second cup of coffee, the kids had more dessert (there was still plenty left on the table), and we sat there "happy as clams" watching the fireworks and the (what seemed like) thousands of people walking by below. After the fireworks we jumped on the train at the New Orleans station and took it back to Main St. to avoid the crowds there. We then left the park (even though it was open until 11:00p.m.) and walked back to the hotel (stopping at the World of Disney store for a little shopping). It was another magical Disney day!

I have really been enjoying your reports. The Fantasmic package sounds great (albeit pricy). If I ever made it out there, it's something I would try based on what you wrote!

Loving your reports!
I did the Fantasmic buffet solo last July and was very impressed. It was also the first time I'd seen Fantasmic.
:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter