Day 8 - Our Southern California Trip (last day at Disney, inc. Avalon Cove dinner)

jabead

DIS Veteran
Cast - DH, 3 kids (ages 6, 9, 12), and myself

Dates - June 21 - July 3, 2002

Day 8 (6/28) - We were up very early this morning and sadly packed up, as we were checking out of the GC today (the only room available for Friday night was in concierge). So leaving our luggage with the bellman to store for us, we headed to DCA park. We had been told when leaving the park on Tues. night that the GC entrance to the park opened at 9:00a.m. (one hour before the main entrance) so we were there at about 9:05. There was only one man there and he said that we would not be allowed to enter until 9:30. Okay, so we made a quick detour to Whitewater Snacks for coffee and chocolate milk. We didn't get any food as we had been hoping to get over to Riverbelle Terrace(at the other park) for Mickey Mouse pancakes. We walked back out to the entrance at about 9:20 and they were letting people in (looked like they had been for a little while) so I'm not sure when exactly they open this entrance to the park (I guess whenever the employees get there to do so, LOL!) Anyway, we went immediately to Soarin' and got on right away. BTW, we met people coming from the other direction so I think that maybe the entrance for the Paradise Pier hotel also opens early for hotel guests. Once again, I loved this ride. Afterward, I wanted to go to the other park for breakfast but my DH finally talked DDs into going on the rollercoaster with him (after working on them for the last 4 days, LOL!), so off we went to Paradise Pier. He rode twice (once with each girl)and they all loved it! Meanwhile DS and I went on the ferris wheel (which spent much more time loading than going around, which I think was only twice :( ) Anyway we then exited DCA and went into Disneyland but alas it was too late, Riverbelle Terrace had quit serving breakfast so we didn't get to try the Mickey Mouse pancakes after all :( Instead we got Fast Passes for Splash Mtn. and then went up to the castle in search of characters. We were excited to see Cinderella and Prince Charming there. There was a very long line to see them but it was worth it since we had never before seen Prince Charming despite several trips to WDW and 5 breakfasts aT Cinderella's castle, LOL! We were then dying of hunger so decided to have an early lunch at Rancho del Zocalo (again got 10% AP discount). I had the nachos which were good, can't remember what everyone else had. We then used our Fast Passes for Splash Mtn. DH doesn't like this ride but the rest of us do. He thought that he lost his hat during the big drop and was really mad (mostly at himself for not taking it off). Luckily I spotted it on the floor in the seat behind him before we got out. We then exited the park and went back to DCA. Here we went to Who Wants to Be a Millionaire show (didn't do very well), saw the Goofy's Beach Party Bash show (cute), and saw the afternoon parade, Eureka, which was very cool. We then saw the short Monsters Inc. show, walked through the tortilla factory and sampled the tortillas, and went to see Lilo & Stitch at Paradise Pier. It was then time for our character dinner at Avalon Cove (Surprise #4). It was 6:30 or so and the place was empty. There were only a few other tables of people inside (where we requested to be seated) but several outside. We saw Ariel, Minnie, and Goofy in the waiting area. It was nice to get Ariel's autograph and pic without waiting in the long line that we always saw at the park in front of her cove. We were seated at a booth in the back of the room which was very private (felt like we were eating by ourselves) except for the character visits and our friendly waiter. Everyone got to order an appetizer (soup or carrots & dip for the kids/soup or salad for the adults), an entree, and a dessert. The kids all got chicken soup and DH and I got the onion soup which was okay. I had the Fish & Chips, DH had the meatloaf, DD1 had the grilled cheese, DD2 the spaghetti, and DS the hot dog shaped like an octupus on a bed of macaroni & cheese (which looked very cool but he ate about one bite of it - UGH!). The food was all okay and the desserts were good. DH had the peach cobbler and I had the one with the churro, baked apples, and Haagan Daaz and then we shared. The sand pails that were given to the kids were a big hit (although very difficult to pack - LOL!). They also enjoyed the cotton candy at the end of the meal. Minnie, Pluto, Chip & Dale all came to our table several times. Dale was especially fun and playful, scooping several spoonfuls of spaghetti into DD2's mouth. It was so funny!!! Goofy didn't ever show so we never did get a pic with him. Twice (or maybe three times) while we were there the characters had a congo line and invited the kids to join in which our kids did. The total before tip for the 5 of us was $74.28. DH grabbed the checked before I got to it and immediately starting whining. I've learned from past experiences to try and grab the check first but I just wasn't fast enough this time, LOL! Oh, BTW, DH wanted me to be sure and report that he had the worst cup of coffee here that he has ever had in his life. He even tried a second cup (thinking the first was so bad that it had to have been a mistake or something) but it was equally bad. He joked about it with our waiter and he said that he frequently receives complaints about the coffee, so consider yourself forwarned (LOL!) Anyway we then headed back to DL park and got FPs for Space Mtn. (at DS's insistence). We had about an hour wait so went on a monorail ride around the parks and through Downtown Disney. After Space Mtn. it was about 10:00 so we left the park. We stopped at World of Disney on our way back to the hotel and did some more shopping. At the hotel we got our car and luggage and headed off to Homewood Suites in Garden Grove (only about a mile away)where we arrived at about midnight. The suites here are very large with a full kitchen, pull-out sofa, and T.V. in one room and two queen beds and another t.v. in the bedroom. The room rate was only $99 here and DH said that we should have stayed here the whole time. But I think he really did enjoy our stay at the GC, he just wanted to tease me - LOL! Sadly this concludes the Disney portion of our trip but still to come were Lake Arrowhead and Universal Studios.

I loved reading your trip reports. And your review of the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet has convinced me that this is something that I must try. :)

<font color=navy> I really have enjoyed your trip reports so far. It's fun to read others' perspectives, especially when they've been to WDW.

My ds has been really pushing the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet, so I'm pretty sure we'll do it sometime this year. I really like the idea of going to the first one so we can watch the fireworks from up there.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks for sharing yoiur trip with us! Now I know Dl and DCA are musts for us!
krissy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter