Days 2 & 3 in Anaheim

diberry

DIS Veteran
Fri 19th

We both woke up at about a quarter past seven so we decided to get an early start and were at the park when it opened at 8 a.m. There were a lot of people waiting to get in and there was a very happy atmosphere. The band were playing and there were some characters about. However once people had dispersed to the various different areas of the park it was really quite quiet and we were able to get on a lot of rides quite quickly.
First of all we had a lovely breakfast in the Carnation Café on Main Street. The chef Oscar, who’s been at Disneyland since 1956 (!!), came to have a word with us, which was nice. After breakfast we went to Frontierland which is very similar in its layout to DLP (or the other way round really as it was built nearly 40 years before DLP!!). When you enter Frontierland there is a sort of Indian village (sorry – native American!!), the riverboat landings are in exactly the same place and there’s a Golden Horseshoe saloon where DLP’s Lucky Nugget stands. I went on Big Thunder Mountain, then over to Fantasyland where we took some photos in various golden vehicles (for the 50th anniversary).
California2005109.jpg

Fantasyland is incredibly like the one at DLP. The layout is almost exactly the same with even the Pinocchio Village House (Chalet de la Marionnette) pretty much identical inside and out. When you walk through to the back of the castle from Main Street the same shop is there on the left and the same little passageway through to Frontierland (Adventureland at DLP) and most of the rides seem to be in the same places. I think it’s nice that DLP was built so close to the original park in its design. We went on Pinocchio’s Daring Journey, Peter Pan’s Flight, Snow White’s Scary Adventures (there’s a brass apple at the entrance and if you touch it the witch cackles in an evil way that made me jump!!) and Casey Jr which are all very much like the DLP equivalents. The Storybook Land Canal Boats is also very similar except that you get a guide sitting on the top of the boat to tell you about the ride.
storybookland3.jpg

We also had a go on King Arthur’s Carousel, It’s a Small World (of course!!!) and Mr Toad’s Wild Ride. I bought 4 golden ears hats with our names embroidered on them though I don’t imagine Dave’s and Martin’s will get much (if any!!!) wear!!
California2005118.jpg

You can see on this photo that some of the trains have seats that run the length of the carriage instead of facing the front and back. So you get a good view of one side of the track but can't see any of the other!!
Finally we went to the “Snow White – an Enchanting Musical” live show and then back to the hotel for a rest as it was now very hot and very busy in the park and the pool was very inviting!
We went back at about 5.30. Dave went on Autopia in Tomorrowland
California2005153.jpg

while I went to Matterhorn Bobsleds. I think this is the only version of this ride in any of the Disney parks. The Matterhorn is in between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland and there is an entrance from each land – if you want a gentle ride you go to the Fantasyland entrance whereas the Tomorrowland entrance leads to a wilder ride. I went to Fantasyland but it was still a bit bumpy and jerky for me!!! After that we both went on the Alice in Wonderland ride (just like the Pinocchio ride but with Alice, Queen of Hearts etc) and then on Splash Mountain, where Dave got absolutely soaked!!!, and then to Buzz. We saw the “tea dance” starting up by the bandstand and then tried to get a meal at the Blue Bayou but they were fully booked so we wandered through the castle and looked at Snow White’s Grotto with statues of Snow White and the 7 dwarfs plus a wishing well. In Tomorrowland there was an Elvis tribute ban on that we watched (don’t know what that’s got to do with Tomorrowland!!!??) while we waited for the monorail to Downtown Disney where we tried to get into the Rainforest Café but the wait was over an hour so we ended up in the ESPN zone again where we had some “Big Daddies” (litre glasses of draught Bud) and meals at the bar which were delicious. The local baseball team, the Anaheim Angels, were playing on t.v. and the crowd in the bar were very loud!!! And then to bed!!!

Sat 20th

Went to the Magic Kingdom again today. We queued up in Toontown. to meet Minnie
California2005121.jpg

and had a look in her house but it was very busy so we decided to meet Mickey on another day. We had a look round the rest of Toontown
California2005124.jpg

and then went across to the California Adventure park which was much less busy. This is the second park which only opened in 2001. The available space is very limited and I think they built it on what used to be a car park – don’t know where people park their cars now – I think they take you by shuttle to another area. California Adventure is a sort of collection of rides from other parks with slight modifications to make them fit in with the California theme.
SAVE00061200x852.jpg

The main entrance area is Sunshine Plaza. We went to have breakfast at the Pacific Wharf Café and then went to “A Bug’s Land” to see “It’s Tough to be a Bug” which is exactly the same as in WDW and just as good as ever – we love it!!
California2005126900x1200.jpg

Next we went to the area called Golden State where we went on the Grizzly River Run which was great fun and really a Californian version of Kali River Rapids from the Animal Kingdom in WDW but slightly wilder.
grizzlyriverrun7b.jpg

We sat and watched a hillbilly band called Jedadiah Jones and the Miner 49ers for a while as we dried off.
We walked round the Redwood Challenge Trail where Dave met one of the Brother Bears who tried to make him go down a slide, but he resisted!!!
California2005129.jpg

I went on “Soarin’ over California” which is an amazing ride where you’re lifted up high with a 180º IMAX screen all around, above and beneath your feet, showing images shot from a helicopter, with wind currents and scent machines, making it look and feel as if you’re hang-gliding and you see all different parts of California. It was an amazing experience – they’ve just opened the same ride at WDW.
soarinovercalifornia5.jpg

After that we went to “Golden Dreams” which is a film with Whoopi Goldberg about the origins and history of California – very inspirational and patriotic as these films always are. Finally in this area we had a walk round the Boudin Bakery and saw a film about how sourdough bread is made and were given some samples.
Then we went to the Paradise Pier area which is like a giant funfair.
pp7d.jpg

We went on the Sun Wheel in one of the non-swinging gondolas – some swing about all over the place as well as the whole wheel going round!! We didn’t actually go on any other rides but we walked all round the area and enjoyed looking at everything.
We went to Downtown Disney and had a nice lunch at the Rainforest Café and a much needed sit down in the cool air-conditioning.
After that we went back to the California Adventure to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area where we went in the “Art of Disney Animation” building. First we went to “Turtle Talk” which is an interactive screen where Crush, the turtle from “Finding Nemo”, talks to members of the audience, particularly the children of course.
After that we went to the area called the “Sorceror’s Workshop” where there are lots of interactive computer screens, zootropes etc. We both did a sort of quiz to find out which Disney character you are most like. I’m like Cinderella apparently and Dave is like Buzz Lightyear!!!
California2005131.jpg

We also did an interactive “audition” where you decide whether you want to sing or act. We chose singing and sang along with the 7 dwarfs to “Heigh Ho” – then they play it back to you without the dwarfs’ voices –that was good fun. Dave went to see Muppetvision 3D while I got a good spot to watch the Block Party Bash which was a very high energy afternoon parade with lots of character interaction, singing, dancing, acrobatics etc – I don’t know how they can in that heat!!!
BlockPartyBash8.jpg

After that we went to see “Aladdin – a Musical Spectacular” which was an extremely professional show. Then we finally came back to the hotel after about 10 hours!!!
In the evening I went back to the California Adventure to watch the Electrical Light Parade which was excellent – the original version of SpectroMagic in WDW and Fantillusion, I believe.
34.jpg

Needless to say after a busy and very hot day we were shattered once again!!

Lucky you having been Soarin' - I just missed that ride opening at WDW and would love to do it. Clever idea on the Matterhorn Bobsleds - I didn't know there were two versions of it. I wish they could do something like that now, now that they seem so keen on replacing the family type rides with thrill ones.

Great report - really enjoying it! :flower:

Excellent report with lots of fun :)

The picture of Soarin' looks way cool :goodvibes

Reid

That was really interesting Di, I always love reading other people's trippies, but its all the more special because it is a park I know very little of.

Glad to see the photo of your DH with his ears on!!!;):goodvibes

Another great report Di :) . I didn't know about the Matterhorn entrances either! I love having bits of trivia!! (must be turning into my dad!!!) The parks look great. lucky you to go on Soarin!

V.xxx

What a great report!

I wish I'd been there - all the pictures bring it to life. I don't know whether to save up for California or Orlando now. Hmm - perhaps I'll let DD9 read this and decide, DH and DS are just too sensible to feel the magic the way DD and I do.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves and got to really soak up the atmosphere. Soarin looks fantastic - we missed it at WDW in April, but we will get to try it at some point in the future - just can't decide where !

Regards
Rosie

Di great report, I loved Soarin in WDW and tutle talk with crush was my absolute favorite, I thought it was fantastic the way he interacted with the children.

Sue :wave:

Verity - thank you! REALLY looking forward to seeing you on Sunday!!

Rosie - although we loved the California DL and it was good to see the original park, given the choice I'd go for WDW!

Sue - I've no idea how they do Crush but it was fascinating to watch!!

So wonderful reading , Diana !!!
I felt like I was there !!! Thanks so much !!!!
(Your English is ... :rotfl2: so perfect !!! I really enjoy every word !!!)

Loved the golden Dumbo !!! :cool1: and Dave with one of the Brother bears !

We too did Soarin' and Turtle talk and liked them very much !!!Can't understand how Crush has all those "human" expressions ! AMAZING !!!

:banana: Could you please tell something more about the two shows : Snow white and Aladin ? I'm very curious !!!

:Pinkbounc Are there ...OTHER INSTALMENTS ? I didn't find ? :Pinkbounc

CIAO , Laura :wave2:

MICKEY'S DREAMERS said:
(Your English is ... :rotfl2: so perfect !!! I really enjoy every word !!!)
I wish my Italian was as good as your English!!!

:banana: Could you please tell something more about the two shows : Snow white and Aladdin ? I'm very curious !!!
Snow White is a musical - maybe 25 minutes long in Fantasyland telling the story of Snow White (of course!!!). Aladdin is very similar but in the California Adventure park. Both very good and very entertaining.

:Pinkbounc Are there ...OTHER INSTALMENTS ? I didn't find ? :Pinkbounc
The last installment will probably appear tonight!
Thank you so much for your enthusiasm!!!

Looks and sounds wonderful,your photos are fantastic.I love the golden Dumbo one.

:earsgirl:

Another fantastic installment, Di. :) I love it when people include photos! :flower:

The ride Soarin' looks wonderful and I want to go on it now!

I'll have to read the next installment after dinner. :sunny:

Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Thank you Sharon and Bonnie!!
"Soarin'" was very good. The funny thing was that as we were "soaring" quite low over some trees I picked my feet up so as not to hit the trees!!! What an idiot!!!! But it is very realistic!!!
I love seeing other people's photos too, Bonnie, but that's because I'm really nosy!!!! :rotfl:

Diana,
You really packed a lot into a day. Again, we were in the same park, same day! Do you suppose we passed each other? Another reason to be jealous of you(although I'm trying to be mature about this)--you saw my beloved Electrical Parade! We had dinner plans our one night at DCA, so missed it. Cant' be too disappointed because we had a wonderful time, but still . . . I love that parade. Thanks for your reports and the photos. Susan

FYI--Disney built the largest stacked/covered parking in the US to free up the old parking lot (it's the big white rectangle in the top corner of the map you included in your Day 1 report). The old parking lot actually had more acreage than Disneyland, so freeing that space for DCA's development was a brilliant idea. Buying the surrounding motels and restaurants was cost prohibitive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter