• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DCL/ABD Med Cruise May 15, 2010

Welcome Home!!!!! :banana:

So glad to hear that your Ipad saved the day! That would of really sucked to lose your photos!

Can't wait to see your Trip Report!

princess:

SayHello,
Just was hoping a quick answer to the following!

On the cruise side of the trip did you enjoy the overall experience? Did the service and the accommodation's meet your expectation's?

Are you happy that did the ABD portion with the cruise?

I sound like a survey!:rotfl:

HG

Welcome back Sayhello! Glad you had a great trip and hope you get better soon. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Hey, folks, sorry for the late reply. I've been really sick with some sort of stomach virus (probably caught it on the plane) and have been pretty out of it! I got so dehydrated I couldn't re-hydrate myself, and ended up in the ER last night, hooked to an IV! :eek: Talk about anti-climatic!

Glad you had a wonderful time. :goodvibes Sorry to hear about the camera difficulties but at least you were able to back up most of your pictures.

Our Southwest Splendors trip one of the people in our group accidentally deleted all his pictures on the last day of the trip. :scared1: A lot of people sent him CDs of their pictures and he also had the pictures that the guides took. Did the guides take pictures for photopass on this trip also?

Awaiting your trip report
Thanks, BasilofBakerstreet. The guides *did* take pictures, and I've had a couple of offers of pics from other ABDers. So I imagine I'll have enough for my trip report even if the pics aren't mine.

Sayhello

I am very much looking forward to hearing what all you did on your excursions. I get to book my excursions on 6/10. Not sure if ABD still has any availablity left but it is still an option for me to consider as of now. I will be making a decision based on what you write (no pressure) :rotfl:, as I was not happy with the write ups on the website for the price.

Sorry to hear about the photos. Scary!
I'll try & get the report done ASAP. Hopefully that will help you decide!

Thanks re: the photos. I'm just glad I didn't lose more. BACKUP, BACKUP!

Sayhello

WOW! You are the poster child for the iPad when it comes to pics and travel! Definitely going to share this story at "the fruit store"! :thumbsup2

WOW! I am so very glad l you had a back up! AND I AM SO GLAD YOUR HOME!! WOOT WOOT! I cannot wait for your trip reports! It will be the way I treat myself while I break from my school work!:rotfl:

So glad your home and safe and waiting with so much anticipation to hear how it went!!:woohoo:
HG
Heheheheh. I'm a poster child! :rotfl:

I'm so glad I had a backup & am glad I'm home, too. While it was a great trip, and I was glad I visited my sister, I was READY to be home! It may take me a little longer than anticipated to do the report, as I'm pretty sick right now, although I'm trending better. I really, REALLY HATE getting sick after a vacation!

SayHello,
Just was hoping a quick answer to the following!

On the cruise side of the trip did you enjoy the overall experience? Did the service and the accommodation's meet your expectation's?

Are you happy that did the ABD portion with the cruise?

I sound like a survey!:rotfl:

HG
Well, not to give too much away, but yes, I did enjoy the overall experience. However, I didn't find it superior to any of the other cruises I've taken, especially my Princess cruise to Alaska. The food was OK, but nothing special (although it didn't stop me from eating it, even the desserts!), even my group dinner at Palo was only "all right". But the Palo Brunch was spectacular, as was Tea.

I can't see me paying a premium price for a Disney cruise, although if a spectacular deal showed up again I might. But after the rough seas we had that left me with a sour stomach on & off for the cruise, I don't think I'm likely to do a long cruise again. I was READY to get off the ship.

Sayhello

Welcome Home, SayHello! We, too, are eager to hear your report--and I imagine the Disney folks thoroughly surveyed you and the others on this experimental ABD. Be sure to let us know any tidbits that you heard re the future of ABD on Disney cruises (and whether the Magic will be traveling to other places--Greece? Turkey? ADB in Athens?!)...your fans await, but first, recover and rest!
I did receive an email with a survey from Disney Research for the ABD portion of the trip. And they want a pretty quick turnaround, it's only good until tomorrow!

The only thing I heard from the Guides is that DCL is definitely interested & looking into the possibility of doing the same sort of DCL/ABD mix for Alaska; that apparently there's been a lot of interest shown, and since the Med sold so well, they're seriously considering it. No word on what form that trip would take (a land/sea combo of the current ABD & the DCL, or all new tours in the Ports of Call the cruise "currently" goes to. That's the only future stuff they talked about.

Sayhello

The only thing I heard from the Guides is that DCL is definitely interested & looking into the possibility of doing the same sort of DCL/ABD mix for Alaska; that apparently there's been a lot of interest shown, and since the Med sold so well, they're seriously considering it. No word on what form that trip would take (a land/sea combo of the current ABD & the DCL, or all new tours in the Ports of Call the cruise "currently" goes to. That's the only future stuff they talked about.

Blahh.. I hate being sick too after traveling as well! We need you better for other travels! We all vicariously through you! haha:rotfl: But seriously I hope your feeling 100% quickly!

As far as ABD for Alaska I love this! Fingers crossed! However I have every intention of taking a helicopter tour and dog sled so if this is not one of the options I would have to opt out on one of the ABD days! Will have to cross that bridge if and when we come to it.

VERY IMPORTANT FOR CURRENT AND FUTURE IPAD USERS!!
I also wanted to pass on COMPLETELY OFF THE RECORD.... ATT announced new data plans for the iPad today..if you go to their website on the right hand side click on media release its the second article. as an Ipad user myself I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Blahh.. I hate being sick too after traveling as well! We need you better for other travels! We all vicariously through you! haha:rotfl: But seriously I hope your feeling 100% quickly!

As far as ABD for Alaska I love this! Fingers crossed! However I have every intention of taking a helicopter tour and dog sled so if this is not one of the options I would have to opt out on one of the ABD days! Will have to cross that bridge if and when we come to it.
Hey, that should be your biggest problem re: opting out of one day! I'll let you know if I hear any more!
VERY IMPORTANT FOR CURRENT AND FUTURE IPAD USERS!!
I also wanted to pass on COMPLETELY OFF THE RECORD.... ATT announced new data plans for the iPad today..if you go to their website on the right hand side click on media release its the second article. as an Ipad user myself I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED!
I don't have the 3G version. Why are you disappointed? Are the plans sucky? Really expensive?

Sayhello

Welcome Home!!!!! :banana:

So glad to hear that your Ipad saved the day! That would of really sucked to lose your photos!

Can't wait to see your Trip Report!

princess:
Thanks, Forever a Princess! I am SO thankful I had the iPad & the camera kit and that it all worked wonderfully. It really *WOULD* have sucked to lose my photos!

Trip Report soon!

Sayhello

Welcome back Sayhello! Glad you had a great trip and hope you get better soon. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip.
Thanks, Diskidatheart! I'll get to the Report as soon as possible. The virus has really knocked me for a loop, so I'm a few days behind schedule!

Sayhello

First of all, we're very sorry to hear that you're not feeling well Sayhello. Hope you feel better really soon.

Tom and I feel slightly differently about the cruise portion. We enjoyed the fact that you didn't have to pack and unpack every day or so, that the ship moved while you slept, that ABD took care of everything related to transportation (some of the cities like Rome and Florence are hours from the ports) and that they tried to pick different unique areas for us to explore. Our ABD guides were outstanding. And while some people had some quibble about the locations to which we went (i.e., a farm instead of Pompeii for example) I felt that ABD genuinely tried to give us experiences which we could not have booked for ourselves. If you want an in depth experience you can always go back on your own. The local guides provided by ABD were knowledgeable and helpful and we enjoyed every single minute of the trip.

In addition, while we did have some time in some of the ports after we returned from our ABD adventures we were generally so tired that we just went back onto the ship and availed ourselves of the entertainment on the ship which you would not have had on a land based excursion. You can also have a mani/pedi or a massage or lay out by the swimming pool or just sleep on your sea days which was a very welcome respite after long, long days like we had in Rome and Florence.

We found the food on the Magic to be really good -- we had no complaints except that sometimes the food was cool or cold because of the distance from the kitchens -- we found Palo's food to be excellent -- and the brunch was amazing. We didn't get to do a tea on this trip -- maybe next time.

We felt that the cruise/ABD combination was a match made in heaven and we hope that they continue to do the trips to different areas so we can go again as soon as we save up some more Sky Miles, vacation time and $$$. We ended up at home disappointed that there wasn't anyone there to spoil us rotten and cater to our every whim. We had a GREAT time and would do it all over again if we have the opportunity.

Hey, folks, sorry for the late reply. I've been really sick with some sort of stomach virus (probably caught it on the plane) and have been pretty out of it! I got so dehydrated I couldn't re-hydrate myself, and ended up in the ER last night, hooked to an IV! :eek: Talk about anti-climatic!

Thanks, BasilofBakerstreet. The guides *did* take pictures, and I've had a couple of offers of pics from other ABDers. So I imagine I'll have enough for my trip report even if the pics aren't mine.

Sayhello

Ugh - feel better soon. I got really sick on the 1st Med trip they did in 2007. I just ran myself down and ended up with Shingles in a little less than a week after I got home. It was not fun. So trying to be more relaxed this time.

SayHello - feel better soon. It's better to be late when you get home than on vacation. Bummer. :sick:

Sayhello - just wanted to add my get well soon to the bunch - what a pain to be sick, although of course better after your vacation than during it! I can't wait to hear all about the trip and your time in Israel as well. Feel better soon. :goodvibes

Looks like I caught up just in time. I'm mostly a lurker. I enjoyed your other 2 reports and look forward to this one. I hope you feel better soon.

Glad I found this thread...I look forward to hearing more about the ABD package on the Med cruise. My partner and I are booked on the last 10-night Med (9/8/10) with the ABD add-on and then staying aboard for the WBTA. We're frequent DCL cruisers....but we have never done an ABD vacation and know very little about it but are super excited!

Ugh - feel better soon. I got really sick on the 1st Med trip they did in 2007. I just ran myself down and ended up with Shingles in a little less than a week after I got home. It was not fun. So trying to be more relaxed this time.
Oh, man, I got a mild case of shingles after my blood clot. The stress from that was something else! I feel for you on the shingles. Ouch!

SayHello - feel better soon. It's better to be late when you get home than on vacation. Bummer. :sick:
tk, I *am* grateful that I did not get this while on vacation. That would have been *IT*. I have been pretty worthless for almost a week here. I've been this sick before, but not for this long! Talk about your "lost weeks"! Yuck!

Welcome home! Feel better soon!
Thanks, brewcrew! I'm starting to feel Human again!

Sayhello - just wanted to add my get well soon to the bunch - what a pain to be sick, although of course better after your vacation than during it! I can't wait to hear all about the trip and your time in Israel as well. Feel better soon. :goodvibes
Thanks, glassslipper2004. Being sick on vacation is horrid. It's happened to me a couple of times, and was just NO FUN. I'm starting to feel human again, but it's been a struggle!

Looks like I caught up just in time. I'm mostly a lurker. I enjoyed your other 2 reports and look forward to this one. I hope you feel better soon.
Starting to feel better. The Trip Report will be a bit delayed due to the virus from hell, but I'll try to start posting as soon as I can!

Glad I found this thread...I look forward to hearing more about the ABD package on the Med cruise. My partner and I are booked on the last 10-night Med (9/8/10) with the ABD add-on and then staying aboard for the WBTA. We're frequent DCL cruisers....but we have never done an ABD vacation and know very little about it but are super excited!
I think you're going to love the ABD add-on, tig82174. I do believe that Robyn and Tina said they'd both be back after the summer to do the Med trips, and they were both just fantastic Adventure Guides. ABD is a wonderful way to vacation! Trip Report as soon as I can!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter