DCL Magic Marvel trip report 31 Jan - 4 Feb

EagleRare

Earning My Ears
Just got back from our first Disney Cruise. Overall experience was excellent, especially if you ask our son who had a blast. This was the 5-night cruise out of Miami with a Marvel day at sea, 2 stops at Castaway Cay. I'm curious to get thoughts from anyone who's sailed on other cruise lines about the value/cost of DCL. I'll start with some highlights though, the highs and lows. Full disclosure: we've sailed Carnival, Celebrity, and Holland America as well.

Highs: amazing service, food was way better than I expected, running at 40% capacity we basically never waited in line for anything, cabins and really the whole boat were super clean. Especially considering this is a 24 year old boat, I was blown away. Wait staff and housekeeping were so nice and caring. You could tell that everyone was super focused on making sure the kiddos have a good time. Oceaneers (kids) club staff were so cheery and super helpful, our son wanted to spend ALL his time in there. Castaway Cay days were SUPER easy - tram to the beach, grab floats and life vests if you need them, then just chill out! Marvel day was full of amazing experiences, especially the after dinner show on deck - WOW! Loved having some adult spaces on board where we could relax as grown ups. Cabins are extremely well designed - loved the split bath and convertible couch, tons of storage, loved having our own fridge.

Lows: DCL Navigator app is awful. Onboard wifi is awful. Dining schedule is very rigid, with limited options if you miss your assigned seating time. Cabins are small when compared to similar offerings on other cruise lines. Verandah was 230 sq ft on the Magic. Verandahs on most competitors are closer to 300 sq ft, which makes a big difference. Besides Cove Cafe, where's the coffee shop?! Key to the World card should be renamed to "key to absolutely nothing except your actual stateroom" because we had to sign physical receipts anytime we ordered a drink. In a very Disney way, they nickel and dime you for everything. Saw a charge for $12.95 for our son's "Magic" band - WTH?! We just gave you $2,000 and you want $13 for the wristband? And selling us slow internet by the megabyte? Who wants to count megabytes on vacation?

Basically, anything that involved technology, it seemed like they were stuck in 2005. You can't handle gratuities in the app, you have to hand your server etc. a physical piece of paper with their tip on it?! You can't buy WiFi from the app, it sends you to a website instead. You can't view your photos from the app, you have to go to the onboard photo shop. Wanna download those photos? First take a screen shot of a website, then go visit that website but you can only access it from onboard (seriously). Leaving for your shore excursion? Have a screen shot of your reservation handy, because they app doesn't work at all if it's not on the ship's wifi (seriously). So keep your phone in airplane mode for your whole voyage, they actually instruct you to do this.

None of the lows were deal breakers of course, mostly just annoying, or at least, not a very Disney-like part of the overall cruise experience.

My broader question is, are there any frequent DCL cruisers out there who are frustrated by the lack of "all-inclusive" pricing with DCL that so many other cruise lines offer? We just booked our next Holland America cruise for later this year, for example. You buy a verandah on HAL and it's 33% larger, includes free laundry service and priority boarding. With their current "have it all" promo, we also got: drinks, gratuities, wifi, shore excursions and specialty dining included in the base fare. Yes, all of that. Norwegian right now is offering similarly inclusive packages plus 70% off the 2nd guest. On Celebrity, drinks, wifi and tips are always included, it's not even a "promotion." Yeah, these other guys don't have the Mouse, but you can literally save hundreds, even thousands of dollars. What am I missing?

I agree with EVERYTHING you said. We have done DCL x2, Celebrity x2, Royal Caribbean x3 and HAL (Alaska)

We did the same itinerary 1/17-22 and thought it was amazing. Marvel Day at Sea blew us away. The technology stinks. We went to guest services a few times and complained (and to get help because the system is so antiquated we couldn't figure it out). They promise they are working on it. Really? What is taking so long? Other cruise lines had this figured out about a decade ago!

As for value...it's a hard (subjective) one. Other cruise lines definitely offer a less expensive experience or "more for your money." But I love the Disney entertainment, included food, and the vibe of the ships. I was looking at the Celebrity Edge across the pier from us in Nassau and it just didn't look that appealing to me. I prefer the classic style. Now, HAL has that (we sailed on them in Alaska) for sure, but they don't have the Disney dining rooms or the opportunity to watch a showdown between Thor and Loki.

Also, Castaway Cay blew us away. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, thought it's just an island in the Bahamas, how great can it be? But it is so great!!

Not sure I'd pay the Disney premium for a port-heavy itinerary, or a sailing that doesn't include Castaway Cay. We did purchase a placeholder and have already booked a sailing on one of the ships we haven't tried yet (Dream).

I agree with EVERYTHING you said. We have done DCL x2, Celebrity x2, Royal Caribbean x3 and HAL (Alaska)

We did the same itinerary 1/17-22 and thought it was amazing. Marvel Day at Sea blew us away. The technology stinks. We went to guest services a few times and complained (and to get help because the system is so antiquated we couldn't figure it out). They promise they are working on it. Really? What is taking so long? Other cruise lines had this figured out about a decade ago!

As for value...it's a hard (subjective) one. Other cruise lines definitely offer a less expensive experience or "more for your money." But I love the Disney entertainment, included food, and the vibe of the ships. I was looking at the Celebrity Edge across the pier from us in Nassau and it just didn't look that appealing to me. I prefer the classic style. Now, HAL has that (we sailed on them in Alaska) for sure, but they don't have the Disney dining rooms or the opportunity to watch a showdown between Thor and Loki.

Also, Castaway Cay blew us away. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, thought it's just an island in the Bahamas, how great can it be? But it is so great!!

Not sure I'd pay the Disney premium for a port-heavy itinerary, or a sailing that doesn't include Castaway Cay. We did purchase a placeholder and have already booked a sailing on one of the ships we haven't tried yet (Dream).

That's my current thinking as well - will probably try the Wish next, once reviews come in on that one. Might book a placeholder once they allow reservations again. And I agree that value is highly subjective. Edge is definitely a different vibe, and Celebrity is clearly going after the super-premium market with that one (checkout "the Retreat"). My view on DCL is, it's one thing to optimize your business model and say "how can we get the most revenue out of every customer?" I feel like they could probably offer the same experience at more competitive prices.

We did purchase a placeholder and have already booked a sailing on one of the ships we haven't tried yet (Dream).

Did you ever find out that your placeholder became a booking on a TR thread? Well, I just did. :hug: So honey, where's the pre-trippie?

Just got back from our first Disney Cruise. Overall experience was excellent, especially if you ask our son who had a blast. This was the 5-night cruise out of Miami with a Marvel day at sea, 2 stops at Castaway Cay. I'm curious to get thoughts from anyone who's sailed on other cruise lines about the value/cost of DCL. I'll start with some highlights though, the highs and lows. Full disclosure: we've sailed Carnival, Celebrity, and Holland America as well.

Highs: amazing service, food was way better than I expected, running at 40% capacity we basically never waited in line for anything, cabins and really the whole boat were super clean. Especially considering this is a 24 year old boat, I was blown away. Wait staff and housekeeping were so nice and caring. You could tell that everyone was super focused on making sure the kiddos have a good time. Oceaneers (kids) club staff were so cheery and super helpful, our son wanted to spend ALL his time in there. Castaway Cay days were SUPER easy - tram to the beach, grab floats and life vests if you need them, then just chill out! Marvel day was full of amazing experiences, especially the after dinner show on deck - WOW! Loved having some adult spaces on board where we could relax as grown ups. Cabins are extremely well designed - loved the split bath and convertible couch, tons of storage, loved having our own fridge.

Lows: DCL Navigator app is awful. Onboard wifi is awful. Dining schedule is very rigid, with limited options if you miss your assigned seating time. Cabins are small when compared to similar offerings on other cruise lines. Verandah was 230 sq ft on the Magic. Verandahs on most competitors are closer to 300 sq ft, which makes a big difference. Besides Cove Cafe, where's the coffee shop?! Key to the World card should be renamed to "key to absolutely nothing except your actual stateroom" because we had to sign physical receipts anytime we ordered a drink. In a very Disney way, they nickel and dime you for everything. Saw a charge for $12.95 for our son's "Magic" band - WTH?! We just gave you $2,000 and you want $13 for the wristband? And selling us slow internet by the megabyte? Who wants to count megabytes on vacation?

Basically, anything that involved technology, it seemed like they were stuck in 2005. You can't handle gratuities in the app, you have to hand your server etc. a physical piece of paper with their tip on it?! You can't buy WiFi from the app, it sends you to a website instead. You can't view your photos from the app, you have to go to the onboard photo shop. Wanna download those photos? First take a screen shot of a website, then go visit that website but you can only access it from onboard (seriously). Leaving for your shore excursion? Have a screen shot of your reservation handy, because they app doesn't work at all if it's not on the ship's wifi (seriously). So keep your phone in airplane mode for your whole voyage, they actually instruct you to do this.

None of the lows were deal breakers of course, mostly just annoying, or at least, not a very Disney-like part of the overall cruise experience.

My broader question is, are there any frequent DCL cruisers out there who are frustrated by the lack of "all-inclusive" pricing with DCL that so many other cruise lines offer? We just booked our next Holland America cruise for later this year, for example. You buy a verandah on HAL and it's 33% larger, includes free laundry service and priority boarding. With their current "have it all" promo, we also got: drinks, gratuities, wifi, shore excursions and specialty dining included in the base fare. Yes, all of that. Norwegian right now is offering similarly inclusive packages plus 70% off the 2nd guest. On Celebrity, drinks, wifi and tips are always included, it's not even a "promotion." Yeah, these other guys don't have the Mouse, but you can literally save hundreds, even thousands of dollars. What am I missing?
The "charge" for the wristband is only applied if you choose to keep the band. All you have to do (and we were clearly told) is drop it off at the kid's club before you disembark and you aren't charged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter