DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Heh. With Disney prices, they better be eager! :laughing:

My ex MIL had azores. She used Preparation H for them, I think.
They are young and probably take my habit for saving/investing for granted. But each boy has already saved close to $200 for the August vacation. I'm almost concerned I'm teaching them to be materialistic (I'm proud they want to defer their purchases to WDW, but I fear what will happen when we are there.) After thinking about it, I need to find ways for them to spend less on souvenirs. The April 2022 trip was the year of N+1 Stuffed Animal.. Any ideas for 2023?

But each boy has already saved close to $200 for the August vacation.
Not bad. How old are they?
I'm almost concerned I'm teaching them to be materialistic (I'm proud they want to defer their purchases to WDW, but I fear what will happen when we are there.)
What we did was tell our kids that they should think about a purchase for a day before buying. We told them we'd go back and get something if they still wanted it the next day.

Morning Fellas! Well, Monday is upon us and that means another day of work. I do, however, have some good news: I'm now at 48 days until my trip. Wwwwweeeee! Can't believe I'm under 50 days. Not much to report. Have a good day and we'll chat later.

TTFN

They are young and probably take my habit for saving/investing for granted. But each boy has already saved close to $200 for the August vacation. I'm almost concerned I'm teaching them to be materialistic (I'm proud they want to defer their purchases to WDW, but I fear what will happen when we are there.) After thinking about it, I need to find ways for them to spend less on souvenirs. The April 2022 trip was the year of N+1 Stuffed Animal.. Any ideas for 2023?

What we did was tell our kids that they should think about a purchase for a day before buying. We told them we'd go back and get something if they still wanted it the next day.

👆 I was going to suggest limiting them to buying one thing a day, but @pkondz pretty much said it. The thing, though, about having them wait to buy something is you might forget where you found that one thing. If you're limiting your parks days to one a day, like we are on our trip in June, then you'll have to go back to that location at the end of the day. Have fun.

Video gif. Illusion of a man tuck jumping across the room and landing with a splash in a mug of coffee. Text, Monday.

The Chief is sailing across the Atlantic at this time. He spent the day in the Azores.
Ahh, that explains it.
Have you done Disney Cruise before? I am considering one for my 40th. I've been on non-Disney cruises before, but my wife and boys have never done one before.
No this will be our first cruise of any kind. But its what she wanted for her sweet 16 so we pulled the trigger.

We didnt put limits on what they could get but they had an "allowance" for the trip, once their money was gone that was it. And we went to World of Disney in Disney Springs the last day on our way out of town so they could pick up anything they waited on, since they have most of what was available in the park. Our first trip both girls really got into Pin trading, but the latest trip the youngest wanted stuffed characters. Who knows what it will be this time :confused3
I've been on a few cruises, but never Disney. Wife and boys have never been on one. We have also never been to Disneyland, so that's an option for my 40th as well.
My wife and I did a Land trip for our 10th anniversary, it was a blast. Still haven't taken the girls out there but it on the list.

Not bad. How old are they?

My boys are 8, 5, and 3. My 8 year old and 3 year old received $50 and $75, respectively, in gift cards for their birthdays this year. My 8 year old keeps giving us small amounts of money he receives to put into his Disney savings, which is a nice change. My 5 year old will either get a gift card right before we go or he will get one for our 2024 trip that we are planning for May/June.

I like the idea of waiting until the end of the park day or the last park day if we have multiple days at the same park so they aren't purchasing things as impulsively as they might otherwise.

Ahh, that explains it.

No this will be our first cruise of any kind. But its what she wanted for her sweet 16 so we pulled the trigger.

We didnt put limits on what they could get but they had an "allowance" for the trip, once their money was gone that was it. And we went to World of Disney in Disney Springs the last day on our way out of town so they could pick up anything they waited on, since they have most of what was available in the park. Our first trip both girls really got into Pin trading, but the latest trip the youngest wanted stuffed characters. Who knows what it will be this time :confused3

My wife and I did a Land trip for our 10th anniversary, it was a blast. Still haven't taken the girls out there but it on the list.
That's an amazing sweet 16 birthday gift!

Morning Fellas! Well, Monday is upon us and that means another day of work. I do, however, have some good news: I'm now at 48 days until my trip. Wwwwweeeee! Can't believe I'm under 50 days. Not much to report. Have a good day and we'll chat later.

TTFN

👆 I was going to suggest limiting them to buying one thing a day, but @pkondz pretty much said it. The thing, though, about having them wait to buy something is you might forget where you found that one thing. If you're limiting your parks days to one a day, like we are on our trip in June, then you'll have to go back to that location at the end of the day. Have fun.
We have three days at MK, two at Epcot, and one apiece at DHS and DAK. So we'll have to be sure to pay closer attention at the latter two parks.

Hope the next 6+ weeks go quickly for you!

They are young and probably take my habit for saving/investing for granted. But each boy has already saved close to $200 for the August vacation. I'm almost concerned I'm teaching them to be materialistic (I'm proud they want to defer their purchases to WDW, but I fear what will happen when we are there.) After thinking about it, I need to find ways for them to spend less on souvenirs.
I think it's a good lesson for kids to have to save up money for what they really want. But once they have enough, it's ok to spend it too. Did that with my kids when they wanted their own iPods or Nintendo Switches or whatever. This is what they saved for, so give yourself permission to reward yourself for that work.

They had that moment of trepidation when they actually went to buy the item. Like, "holy cow, if I do this I won't have any money left!" But again, I think that's a good thing. I told them they shouldn't ever feel totally comfortable spending large sums of money.

Good advice!

Nice! Hope you have a great time.

We did one Disney Cruise and enjoyed it, but I think my family decided that we aren't "cruise people" in general.

Playing the long game, I see... It's actually a pretty good investment!
Its the key to proper deviousness.

We did one Disney Cruise and enjoyed it, but I think my family decided that we aren't "cruise people" in general.
Yeah, we aren't sure we are cruise people either. One of the reasons we are doing a 4 night. If we find out we don't like cruising we aren't stuck for too long, but long enough to see what is all about.

I think it's a good lesson for kids to have to save up money for what they really want. But once they have enough, it's ok to spend it too. Did that with my kids when they wanted their own iPods or Nintendo Switches or whatever. This is what they saved for, so give yourself permission to reward yourself for that work.
::yes::
Yes. If you want something enough, save for it. If you still want it after saving for it... then buy it.
They had that moment of trepidation when they actually went to buy the item. Like, "holy cow, if I do this I won't have any money left!" But again, I think that's a good thing. I told them they shouldn't ever feel totally comfortable spending large sums of money.
That's why I told them to not buy things right away. Sometimes, they'd find something better that they'd rather buy. Sometimes they decided they didn't want it anymore.
Sometimes they figured out that they did want it... so they got it. Worked out pretty well.

Oh good. An easy question. It's Thursday, of course. Friday starts later tonight. In two days it's Saturday and Sunday... on the same day, of course. The day after that is the first of 4 Mondays which I'll logically identify as Monaay, Monbay, Moncay, and then Monday which falls on a Tuesday evening next week.

Oh good. An easy question. It's Thursday, of course. Friday starts later tonight. In two days it's Saturday and Sunday... on the same day, of course. The day after that is the first of 4 Mondays which I'll logically identify as Monaay, Monbay, Moncay, and then Monday which falls on a Tuesday evening next week.
Your gonna scare the new guy, unless he does shift work too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter