DDP & AAA?

Phalene

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if you can book a package through AAA and purchase the DDP? Its not during the free dining promotion, if that makes a difference.

yes you can. They will book the room with AAA rates and you can get the dining. Its the only way to do it with AAA rate- must go thru one of their agents. We are all set up for that for November.

We did the same thing for our July trip. And it saved me about $350 over what it would have cost me if I'd gone through Disney on my own. But you need to contact AAA directly.

Thanks! I will be joining AAA and booking through them and cancel my existing package with Disney.

to mommiepoppins, just curious, I thought there was no discount on room rates if we get free dining - that is, we pay rack rate on the room. How were you able to save by booking thru AAA? Wondering if I could save some money.

kamanda said:
to mommiepoppins, just curious, I thought there was no discount on room rates if we get free dining - that is, we pay rack rate on the room. How were you able to save by booking thru AAA? Wondering if I could save some money.

Ditto that question. I didn't bother calling AAA before because of the whole "rack rate" thing (ie, I knew we couldn't add the dining plan (even if we paid for it) to our room last December because we were already getting an AP discount on the room). Also, every time I've called AAA with a question about a DL/WDW, I swear I know more about their packages than the AAA people do. I'm always hesitant to book a vacation with someone who doesn't seem to know anything about where I'm going.

Of course, it's probably moot now, as AAA is probably already out of rooms for our dates during the free dining promotion, but still wondering if it's worth a call.

thunderbird1 said:
Ditto that question. I didn't bother calling AAA before because of the whole "rack rate" thing (ie, I knew we couldn't add the dining plan (even if we paid for it) to our room last December because we were already getting an AP discount on the room). Also, every time I've called AAA with a question about a DL/WDW, I swear I know more about their packages than the AAA people do. I'm always hesitant to book a vacation with someone who doesn't seem to know anything about where I'm going.

Of course, it's probably moot now, as AAA is probably already out of rooms for our dates during the free dining promotion, but still wondering if it's worth a call.

I did call my AAA office and was quoted the same price as Disney. If poster really did get a discount on the Free Dining, then they're luckier than the rest of us. princess:

Disney_Freak56 said:
I did call my AAA office and was quoted the same price as Disney. If poster really did get a discount on the Free Dining, then they're luckier than the rest of us. princess:

Thank you! Now what about this rumor that you can get AAA rates on the room while booking a package through Disney? I've heard you can get various room discounts at different times by mentioning them to the CM on the phone. I may call WDW travel tomorrow to check on this--seems like it would be easier than cancelling our existing reservation and booking through AAA.

thunderbird1 said:
Thank you! Now what about this rumor that you can get AAA rates on the room while booking a package through Disney? I've heard you can get various room discounts at different times by mentioning them to the CM on the phone. I may call WDW travel tomorrow to check on this--seems like it would be easier than cancelling our existing reservation and booking through AAA.

You can book the AAA room discount with Disney if you are getting any non-dining package (i.e. room & tickets only). You don't have to go through an AAA agent unless you are getting the DDP.

Also, if you want the Free DDP, you cannot get the AAA room discount & the Free dining plan...it's one or the other. If you want the free dining plan, you will pay rack rates for the room. You can still book that through an AAA agent, but know you are not getting any discounts on the room as you are only allowed one discount per package (i.e. AAA, AP, Free Dining, etc).

Hope this helps.
Jen

Hi!

Thanks Magical JenK, I was really getting nervous about my res. until I was reading your thread. I thought that was the case but I started doubting myself.My agent also said, no AAA discount with the free dining. If this is wrong I hope someone lets us know!

thanks!

Magical JenK said:
...you are only allowed one discount per package (i.e. AAA, AP, Free Dining, etc)

Thanks Jen! You explained this SO well. This is the way I understood the rule, but I couldn't put it into words. Now I'm happy with our res. No way our family of 4 would give up free dining to get <$25 a night off our room.

Which way do you usually save more money? Getting the AAA rate for hotel and paying dining or doing the rack rates for the hotel and get free dining?

I think it depends on where/when you stay and your party size. It's been a while since I've priced AAA, but I think the most you can get off the room with AAA is 20%. For our family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids), the free dining is worth just under $100/day (most would say even more than that, but that would be the cost if we had to pay for it). We're staying at a moderate (POFQ) for $155/night so, assuming we're going during the 20% off time (which I don't think we are, but just for argument's sake), the absolute most we could save on the room is $31 a night. Obviously, free dining is a better deal for us. But if you don't have kids, and are staying at a deluxe resort, in some cases, the AAA discount might be a better deal.

Good luck with your planning! I'm so glad we're finished with that part of it--it can be so overwhelming trying to figure how to work all the various angles to come up with the best trip at the best price.

I agree with Thunderbird, it depends on your size & where you stay. We (2 adults) are staying at POFQ for 9 nights & had originally planned on paying for the dining plan. I figured out the 20% AAA discount (after taxes on room) was $28.38/night. Total AAA savings $255.42. Not bad. However, we changed to the Free Dining w/no AAA discount because the dining plan alone for us was $683.82 to pay out of pocket. So our net savings (Free dining-AAA discount) is $428.40 by paying rack rates but getting the free dining. Not too shabby at all.
Have fun planning & a great trip!
Jen

Mine is 9 nights / 10 days AAA rate 15% staying at the AKL Standard View. But I dont think it really matters because we are going at the beginning of August 2007 and they usually dont have the free dining until the middle of August.

I was one of the many waiting for AP rates for July... and had to downscale a bit when they didn't come out.

My original ressies were for a 10/6 night split between AKL & WL, I cut off the first 4 to stay at the Radisson Resort Celebration (we've been there before and it's nice) and made the AKL 6 nights also, with AAA room only discount. This 'downgrade' to the Radisson room, pool view, saved me $740.
I have a standard Savanah room at AKL and a standard room at WL.

Following different threads here I thought it would definately benefit me to get the dining plan since it would be just under $50 a day for the 2 of us (me and my 9 yr old daughter) and I'm sure we spend that much daily, without being able to order whatever we want at TS restuarants! We would do a lot of meal sharing too, as I usually never finish eating what I do order. And I'll order dessert now too.. even if I don't eat it, I'm sure I could find something appropriate to have as breakfast the next morning.

Sorry for all the backround stuff.. there are questions in here...

Having AAA take over my ressies has been a problem. I was finally able to get them turned over with the same AAA room rates for the WL.. but unable to get them for the AKL. I did the math and it's only $5 more (probably some tax I forgot) for the WL package. I have to get the 1day basic pass for each of us, which we plan on getting turned over into our APs.
She hasn't been able to get the same room for the package for our AKL ressies, only being able to get a deluxe savanah (out of my range).. but I thought that they were 'taking over' my original one.. so why isn't my room available? Shouldn't it be the same as the room rate now, plus the 6 day DDP, plus the 1 day base for each of us? (which I see I can't use in addition to the other one, so I 'll just save it for our next passes).

I have decided to take the WL package and leave the AKL as it is as room only and not get the DDP for that part of the trip... $50 a day is probably about what we spend, so the DDP cost was ok (only having to pay extra for the extra set of 1 day base tickets). But the extra tickets.. plus the extra $70 a night for the room was way too much...

Anyone have any suggestions as to way this 'take over' isn't taking over our original room?

And the most important question... we are going to be there 4 nights before checking into our 1st Disney resort (we're starting at the Radisson)... Am I going to be able to turn our 1 day passes into APs at that time? When we check into our Disney resort do we have to have our MYW passes, or is the AAA package on file (and I will have my confirmation hopefully by then) that the MYW passes were included. I don't want to stay away from Disney cause I can't use my passes yet, or can't upgrade yet.

Any help or suggestions anyone can give me I'd really appreciate it!

On my way now to give the payment for my WL package. Maybe the TA might have gotten the standard savannah by now and I can do both packages...

TIA again..
ANC

Anc96 said:
Anyone have any suggestions as to way this 'take over' isn't taking over our original room?ANC

ANC-I can only speak to the AAA discount/room question....so here goes....each resort only has so many of the discounted rooms/packages (AAA, AP, Free Dining, etc) available. So it sounds like the room type you want is all sold out at the AAA discount price.

Your trip sounds fantastic! Have fun & I hope all works out!
Jen

Anc96 said:
And the most important question... we are going to be there 4 nights before checking into our 1st Disney resort (we're starting at the Radisson)... Am I going to be able to turn our 1 day passes into APs at that time? When we check into our Disney resort do we have to have our MYW passes, or is the AAA package on file (and I will have my confirmation hopefully by then) that the MYW passes were included. I don't want to stay away from Disney cause I can't use my passes yet, or can't upgrade yet.

Any help or suggestions anyone can give me I'd really appreciate

I am pretty sure that you will not be getting the MYW pass until you check into your resort so this plan to upgrade it to your AP is not going to work unless you wait until you check into Disney property to get the AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter