DDP Reviews 9/2-9/6

IncredibleboysMom

DIS Veteran
You may notice that this is my first post. I have been lurking and gleaning info here for so long that I thought I would give back to so many who helped make our trip a success.

First, for those with little kids, my advice is to only schedule one TS meal per day. If you are going to go back to the room for a nap/swim, there won't be time to do much in the parks if you take the time for two sit-down meals. I ended up cancelling some dinners because there just weren't enough hours in the day!!

Day 1

Wolfgang Puck Express- DTD

This was OOP as we hadn't checked in yet. I had a BBQ chicken salad which I really liked. Lots of big chunks of chicken. On the contrary, DH had the BBQ chicken quesadilla, and if it had chicken in it, it wasn't visible to the naked eye! He ate it (we were very hungry) but was disappointed. DS6 had a cheese quesadilla which he inhaled in about 2 minutes, so it must have been good. DS2 had the 4 cheese mac-n-cheese which I tasted and thought was yummy. We also had a couple of choc chip cookies and their mango iced tea, very refreshing, for a total of about $38.

Kona Cafe

Great meal here! I started with crab cakes. Special thanks to the DISer who told of the greens it was served with. Kept me from having to make a difficult decision between salad and crab cakes! DH had the Kona chowder which he is still raving about. I had the beef teriyaki and he had the macadamia mahi. I liked the fish better, but not the mushroom risotto it was served with. Too salty. My steak was a little fatty but very tender and had a great flavor. I force-fed the DS's the fruit cup and they shared the kid's pasta. Dessert was the apple cobbler type thing for DH and the Kiluea (sp) torte for me. He loved his, mine was good, but needed to be a little warmer to fully appreciate the gooey chocolate stuff inside! All in all a wonderful meal, we will eat here again!

More to come, Donald's, ASMo food court, Le Cellier......

Day 2

Donald's Breakfast - Animal Kingdom

We were quickly seated for our 8am ADR. The buffet was good, not great, breakfast fare. There were some interesting extras, breakfast pizza, quiche and hashbrowns with peppers and cheese. Our server, Debra, was pleasant and attentive. The characters came in quick succession, Pluto, then Donald, Mickey and Goofy. We were seated in the small room in the back and at one time there were three characters present! I felt like the characters were there long enough, though, not rushed as I had feared. We were done by 8:55 and did the sprint to EE. Would do this one again.

ASMo food court

I had intended for us to eat at Flametree or Tusker House, but it was hot, late and time for a nap so we just headed back to the hotel food court. What a pleasant surprise. I had the chicken penne alfredo which I shared with DS2 (he thought it was mac n chez, his fave) and we both liked it alot. DH had a turkey sandwich, lots of meat and very fresh. DS6 had a cheese pizza, demolished in no time, he must be in a growth spurt! We had 2 brownies and carrot cake for dessert. The carrot cake was a consistent pleasure this trip, even prepackaged! My only complaint was that while I was waiting (and waiting) for the pizza, DH and the kids had already sat down and he was done eating. There was a line of us that waited about 10 min for pizza. It was really OK though, we don't get to eat much together anyway!

Columbia Harbor House

After the nap, we headed to EMH at MK. Again, this was not in the plan, but the late nap meant we weren't up and about until about 6:30 and it made more sense to have a late night. While waiting for Spectro, I ran to CHH and the whole family shared the Captains basket. One piece of fish per adult, and one chicken strip per kid. We all shared fries. It was all hot and fresh but nothing special. This was the only place I found that allowed me to get an extra drink (bottled water) instead of dessert with my CS credit.

Welcome to the boards!!! Thanks for posting your reviews. We were at WDW last week and ate at Donald's as well and enjoyed it. :)

Day 3

Breakfast was cereal bars and milk in the room (we paid for the fridge) because we were having lunch at Le Cellier and I wanted to be hungry!

Le Cellier

We waited about 30 min for our 12:30 ADR (did I mention we were hungry?). I think we were given the table that another DISer complained about. Right outside the swinging door from the kitchen. Not good when you have an almost three year old who likes to explore! Thankfully, no incidents occured. Our server was Joseph who was terrific. He let us get smoothies (Chocolate Raspberry) for our drinks. DH had shrimp cocktail, DS6 and I had the famous cheese soup. DS6 pronounced it "yucky" so DH polished it off. We agreed that this soup will be on the menu in heaven! The shrimp cocktail paled in comparison. The sauce was good, kind of spicy, but the shrimp were small and didn't taste too fresh. DS's shared the chicken strips and DH and I both ordered the petite filet over the cream cheese potatoes and cleaned our plates with the pretzel bread. The steaks were perfectly cooked (med for me and med rare for DH). He had the chocolate whiskey cake and I had the creme brulee sampler. DS6 got the chocolate "moose" (too cute). All the desserts were fabulous. We were more than ready for our afternoon nap this day! Le Cellier definitely met our high expectations!

ABC Commissary - MGM Studios

OK, I knew not to have counter service at the Studios, but we had planned to eat at Mama Melrose. Unfortunately, we were all still stuffed from Le Cellier an hour before our ADR time and we needed to maximize our park time, so we cancelled the meal. Naturally, 2 hours later, we wanted food and found ourselves at the ABC Commissary. DH had a Cuban sandwich and said it was OK. I had a cheeseburger. The bun was fresh and big, making it that much harder to see (and taste) the tiny little meat patty. I swiped some pickles off of DH's Cuban but it still didn't help. I threw half of it away. DS's shared the kid's nugget meal. Looked like basic fast food nuggets, but were probably better than the burger. The desserts however, were great. Chocolate mousse for me and a strawberry parfait for DH.

Thanks for the reviews. We are going to Kona and LeCellier next month. I agree on the 2 TS day!! Last year we would go for a late dinner to maimize park time and so we would be hungry!!! (my kids are older so they can eat later)

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews. We are leaving next week w/ 2 kids & have 2 TS planned almost everyday. All of them are breakfast & then dinner so we can eat light in between. Do you think that will help? (Please say yes) :thumbsup2 I just hate the thought of cancelling any of them!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter