Debate: No!! No debate!! This is only: The State of the Parks Address!!

DVC-Landbaron

What Would Walt Do?
Hello folks!!

I have lived and breathed Disney for the past three and a half weeks!! I AM AN EXPERT!! (at least for the next month or so…)

Traditionally (last year at least!!) I give my annual state of the Parks Address after my sojourn to that special magical place we all know and love. This year will be no different, so without further fanfare or dilly-dallying, may I present, for your review and comments (as pretentious as ever and with tongue firmly in cheek ;)) :

THE STATE OF THE PARKS ADDRESS!!

For the past three weeks my family of seven, along with various other family members (numbering as high as 32 at one point) have been living at Old Key West in our own beloved Walt Disney World!!

For those that don’t know me, I tend to be a little hard on the Disney Corporation for recent policy changes that I cannot understand and simply call them “bone-headed”. The purchase and mismanagement of ABC. The collapse and decimation of Imagineering. The tendency to decorate instead of theme. Etc, etc, etc!!! (I also talk in sentence fragments and use two exclamation points when one would (and should) suffice!!)

Anyway, on with the address!!!!

Maintenance.
Everything that I noticed (and that ain’t much folks, my glasses are rosier than most, even the Pirate’s ;) ) was splendid!! It was clean (for the most part) and virtually sparkled. Light bulbs were changed in a timely fashion, and trash swept clean (as much as possible after the pigs, that unfortunately are of my generation and younger, do their best to trash the joint, albeit absentmindedly, but seeming with a purpose and vengeance!!). In fact, there are only three complaints that come to mind regarding maintenance. First, the bathrooms (especially in EPCOT for some reason or another) were not as pristine as usual. Now that’s not to say they were filthy (although a couple were), but they were not as sparkling as they usually were. I wondered if the cuts were subtly affecting the cleanliness. Second, there were quite a few ‘wet paint’ signs scattered around the theme parks. Now I never saw a workman, but these signs were noticed very late in the afternoon (if you spend three weeks there, there is very little need to ever go into a park in the morning!!) So, I’m wondering if the paint was applied in the morning, in plain sight of the guests? If it were the case, it would be a very bad SHOW. As it was the ‘wet-paint’ signs were enough of a bad SHOW. And lastly (and of MAJOR concern) were those damned vacuum cleaners that sweep you out of the MK after closing!!! (more about this later.)

The Magic Kingdom

What can one say about the “Happiest place on earth” (I know, DL – not WDW, but it’s my address and I don’t visit DL!!) It is simply marvelous!! I am ALWAYS thrilled to be there. I have only three major issues!

1- Hours of operation
2- Ending the night on an event (the fireworks)
3- Vacuum cleaners!!!

Hours of Operations:
WOW!! If anything will turn me into a Disney “hater” it is management’s decision regarding summer operating hours! Especially for the MK. It is simply not possible to do all there is to do, or you want to do, with the time management gives you. There are too many people. It is too hot. There are too many people. It is too humid. There are too many people. And there is always rain!!! (Something that management doesn’t consider at all, but it’s a fact folks. It rained EVERY DAY!! EVERYDAY, for at least an hour or two and sometimes substantially longer.) And did I mention there are too many people? Well – There are!!

But that’s the situation that is inherent in summer visits to WDW. Too many people, hot, humid and rainy. If you choose to visit in the summer (or are forced into it because you have five kids all in school age) you better know this and accept it. But it was OK because Disney gave you enough time to do all there was to do, and more. They stayed opened until midnight!! But that was yesterday, and yesterday’s gone. That’s right, folks! GONE!!! Now the new summer hours end at ten PM. Can you believe it!! 10:00!!!!!

So…. A typical Landbaron day used to be – A slow morning, breakfast buffet or coffee on the veranda. Afternoon around the pool. And we hit the park at five and stay until midnight. Or perhaps a morning at AK, back to the pool by 12:30 and again into MK by five or six. Or lastly an EPCOT evening ending with the always wonderful Illuminations and then a mad dash to the MK to close that pace at midnight!! At least two full hours of fun, with dwindling crowds to fight. Maybe catch the second parade. Perhaps be in time for the fireworks, or work against the crowd and ride the rides while everyone else was watching the second parade and fireworks! It didn’t really matter. You had OPTIONS!!!

Now there are NO options. There is one (that’s right, count it son – ONE) parade. Which everyone who wants to see it must view, twenty deep or sitting in one spot for well over an hour (more than likely longer) taking even more precious time away from your already shortened day!!! Oh yes!! Don’t forget that they’ve shortened it further by eliminating EE. And even if you didn’t use it, thousands of others did, and they went home already because they got their thrills earlier in the day. No! Disney is forcing us to make the same moves, at the same time. No options!! One parade. One opening. One closing. And an obscenely early closing, at that!! And if it should happen to rain (as it did every day) between the hours of say five and eight, you really don’t have much time at all!!!

“Wait!!” they say. “I’ll tell you what. Such a deal, I have for you!! You can buy back a very small portion of what used to be included, for only $12.00 (without tax)!! How can you go wrong!! An eighth of the park opened (just a guess) for way less hours than before and only 12 bucks over the initial cost (which rises like clockwork, no matter what anyway!!) WOW!! Talk about magic!!”

Ending the night on an event (the fireworks):
Now! Because they leave no options EVERYONE stays until the bitter end!! It great for Disney, but really lousy for the guests. OK, says Disney, like good little guests watch the Fireworks, do an about-face and LEAVE!!! All at the same time!!! All piling into the transportation lines. The buses, the boats, the monorails, waiting and waiting, and even waiting some more, for well over an hour just to get out of the joint!! Why? BECAUSE EVERY LEAVES AT THE SAME TIME!!! THERE ARE NO OPTIONS!!! It’s MADNESS!!! AND IT’S GOT TO STOP!!!!

Vacuum cleaners!!!
So towards the end of my meeting with Phil Holmes (not sure about the spelling) VP of the Magic Kingdom (you name dropper, you!!) I said, “Look. You’ll never change the park hours because of guest complaints. And you’ll probably always end it on an event no matter what I say. But there’s one thing you can do. There’s one thing you should do. GET THE VACUUMS OFF MAIN STREET AND THE FRONT ENTRANCE UNTIL ALL THE GUESTS LEAVE!!! It’s a bad SHOW!! A very bad SHOW!! You can make one pass, like they used to do, after the parade and one after the Fireworks BUT THAT’S IT!!! NO MORE NOISE AS WE LEAVE!! STOP SWEEPING US, LITTERALLY, OUT THE DOOR!!!!!!!” And he looked at me in stunned silence and finally said, “Yeah. I can do something about that. I’ll look into that. You’re right. It’s not a good show at all.” But I’ll lay you any odds you want; they’re still there for my next annual report!!

Minor observations at MK:
Scattered and random closings. Tiki birds - Opened at ten closed at eight. Or was it nine, or even six. I’m not sure. CoP, opened at nine, or was it ten and closing at five (I think). Timekeeper (I don’t know, I saw it at four one afternoon and missed it when I brought my first time visiting cousins at nine). And the list goes on. WHY!!!!???

The characters were abundant!! And seemingly random!! It was WONDERFUL!!!

The CMs, as always, were magnificent!!!

EPCOT

I have a very hard time with this park. It is indeed my favorite, yet, I also LOVE the MK. Kind of like having two genius children, with distinctively different personalities. Who do you love more? Neither and both. Each special. Each separate. Each individual. I always spend my first day in MK. But I always savor my last night in EPCOT. In an inner feeling thing, I guess it wins!!

But…

That hand and wand has got to go!!!!!

The new Figment ride is very good. Very good indeed!! It had me smiling all the way through both times I saw it! Congrats!!!

Illuminations – What can I say? It is marvelous, stunning, spectacular and awe-inspiring. I keep trying to remember if I liked the first version better than this one, and I can’t make up my mind (that middle version(s) sucked). Anyway, I love it!!!

And lastly, it needs some updating. I’ve left out all the things we usually talk about on these boards (i.e. stagnant WS, Living Seas going to seed, etc.) but some new stuff is a necessity!!!

The Studios

My least favorite park (I don’t consider AK a park. It is a very nice diversion at best.) But in all fairness, how can the place compare to MK or EPCOT? Answer: It can’t!!

There is one thing that needs to be addressed though. It is the “One Man’s Dream” attraction. It should be required as a minimum standard to participate in any meaningful discussion regarding Disney philosophy. PLEASE SEE THIS!!! IT IS VERY, VERY IMPORTANT!! And it will show the basic difference between Walt’s Disney and the new Disney®. (And where does Ei$ner get off mugging to camera in ‘the dead guy’s’ story?!?!?! It took all my self-control not to rush the stage the first time he came on!!)

Animal Kingdom:

What a wonderful place!! It is truly beautiful!! The Safari ride is a killer (wish they’d lose the big red bit though), Tough to be a Bug is fun and Kili River is very wet, very short, but entertaining nonetheless!!

AK is nice diversion from the three (or at least two and ¾) theme parks that Disney has. Kind of like the day we spent in Typhoon Lagoon. Wonderful! Fun filled. But not an entire theme park! As it is “not-a-zoo” it is also “not-a-theme-park”!!

And then there’s Dino-rama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: (I can’t talk about it now. The pleasant memories from my recent trip are still very fresh in my mind. Also, I don’t want to vomit!! So I’ll affix my extra strength rose-colored glasses and say, “What Dino-rama??!! I must have missed it!! Oh well! Maybe next year!!)

The rest of the World

Typhoon Lagoon is spectacular!! I love it there, as does my family. The slides are better in Blizzard Beach, but there’s just something about Typhoon… :) :) :) :) :)

The Buffets around the entire property are all spectacular!! From the campgrounds to the new AKL (Ahhhhhh!!!), just marvelous!! We loved them all!!

And Old Key West is by far the best resort on the property!! If you ever get a chance to stay there do it! You won’t regret it for an instant! As good as WDW still is, OKW is just that much better. The “old” Disney charm is very much alive and is an experience in itself!! Thanks to Maryann and Ted, two wonderful CMs there, for putting up with my kids for three weeks!!

As always the magic is still very evident. From the smiling CMs to the fresh flowers everywhere. From the Character Breakfasts to the bar tender at the Gurgling Suitcase. All wonderful. All Magical. But is it alive? I’m not sure. It may be that we are only enjoying remnants of a past age. Is it well? No, my friends, it is not well at all. Just the short summer hours, the elimination of EE and those vacuum cleaners are enough to tell you that the magic is not well at all.

And finally, will it return? Nah! I don’t think so. Not at all. Not unless the current administration is exchanged for someone who will actually watch “One Man’s Dream” and not simply provide filler voice over bits for the “Dead guy’s” film.

The floor is now opened for debate! Any questions? Any answers?

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ps: I had a chance to meet two very wonderful CMs. OnWithTheShow was a delight. We gabbed for hours! And Safari Steve was by far, the best skipper of the Jungle cruise I have heard in quite some time!! Maybe even the best I ever heard, period!! Maybe he was trying to impress me, but somehow I doubt it. He is a natural, funny, self-effacing and friendly! Both great guys!! Thanks guys.

I wish I had seen "One Man's Dream" last time I was there (we didn't go to MGM that visit). I agree with you on so many points about the state of the parks. I never had the vacuum experience though. That would deffinitely su-- uh, nevermind. ;)

Previously, I had written the post about the CM pushing a huge dumpster right through the crowds on my last visit to the MK, (what parade was HE supposed to be part of?) and was appalled. Wasn't there supposed to be a tunnel built for that sort of thing? And summertime visitors are not the only ones shortchanged by the cut hours. I was in the MK last May when it closed at 6:00pm that day. Yes, I will repeat this fact as many times as I want, THE MAGIC KINGDOM SHOULD NEVER,, NEVER!!! CLOSE BEFORE DARK!!! Getting herded out with crowds in broad daylight is something I'll never get over. We were cut all the magic that happens at night.

Glad you had a great trip!

Good Show Herr Baron, Good Show.

The Herr Baron has shown us the way. We cannot shirk our duty - step up, make an appointment as high up the food chain as you can when you visit WDW and tell that person clearly what needs to be addressed.

Excellent report!!

Hi Baron,

Did you make it to IOA? I'm curious to see what you thought of it.

Wonderful, wonderful report. You mention the problems in a humorous and tolerant way and I like that. I do take issue with you inferring that MGM is 3/4 of a park but to each their own. :D

No debate from me about your observations but that's no surprise. I can't wait for the "other side" to comment. ;)

First, it seems a little wiered that you didn't gripe about the hat DVC....

Did you like it? Did you have to take your words back?

Did you see any Segways?

I do take issue with you inferring that MGM is 3/4 of a park but to each their own.
Only compared with the MK and to a lesser extent EPCOT. Please don't get me wrong. I like the Studios, just not nearly as much as the other two. Ergo, not as much time is spent there. We do R&RC many times and ToT over and over again. But that's about it.

NO!! Stop the presses!!! WAIT!!!!!

There's something else we did at the studios this year!! Fantasmic!! (Now watch me ruffle some feathers!) It's just barely OK!! I guess I mean that I don't think it's worth an hour and a half wait (to get standing room only)!! I'll take Illuminations anytime!!!!!!!!!

But!! The thing that blew me away was the Beauty & the Beast Show!! WONDERFUL!!! I normally don't like live shows (give me a robot any time, I guess). But this one was GREAT!!!!!!

Did you make it to IOA? I'm curious to see what you thought of it.
YES!! I loved it!!! It's every bit as good and probably better than anything Disney is doing currently!! My kids LOVED it as well (from 20 years old down to eight). I'm very afraid has been caught sleeping while Universal has been grasping the pulse of the public!!

DVC Landbaron's post was much jollier after a visit from Disney than his random bombardments during the rest of the year--Disney is good therapy for the grumps. Imagine his vacation: he has enough points to stay at OKW for THREE WEEKS with 7 (and sometimes more) people! Yikes! Think of all the points for all those people!
A very good "State of the Parks" report which echoes my own feelings. Negative points right on the money. Creating a mass exodus at one time is a horror for everyone except Disney's pocketbook. It really gives one the impetus to wake up early and reverse the trip plan.
Glad to hear he thought the place looked clean as it always has: this mirrors my own observations and flies in the face of some of the other reports we've been hearing about how filthy and unpainted things are. Simply not true.
The only thing I truly disagree with is his assessment of Animal Kingom which, if one goes on all the rides, goes to all the shows, and does the various attractions such as the two zoological walk throughs, and has a leisurely lunch, is truly a full-day park. It beats MGM hands down in my opinion (and I don't do Rock and Roller Coaster because man's natural state is rightside up, feet pointing downward) for lots of reasons.
One other thing--yes, Landbaron-- Fantasmic in Orlando is overblown and not worth the wait (or the dinner package seating all the way on the right). I advise Landbaron to go to Disneyland in California and see Fantasmic performed on the Rivers of America. When the Mark Twain comes around the bend with the entire cast dancing on the deck like the musical "Showboat," you'll know what the show CAN be like, and why it is so loved by those on the West Coast. Thank you, DVC Landbaron, for a heartfelt and caring review.

LandBaron, Thanks for the great report. I am glad that you found someone at the Magic Kingdom to hear your complaints. I am also happy about how much you enjoy Typhoon Lagoon! I am sorry I was unable to meet with you and change your mind about the Studios. For some reason when I tried calling you the number didn't work...maybe I copied it down wrong.

Testtrack321
First, it seems a little weird that you didn't gripe about the hat DVC....
I made quite a big deal about that stupid hat last spring. I even marched over to guest relations and complained about it. And surprisingly, I didn’t have to fill out the complaint form. The three CMs in guest relations did it for me, in much better detail than I could have done. Anyway, I didn’t want to repeat too much of the “same old, same old”. But you are right – THAT HAT HAS GOT TO GO!!!!!!!!!! (Thanks for the opportunity ;))
Did you see any Segways?
Yes, but only on my first day in EPCOT. Nothing afterwards. And the place was lousy with them in the spring. I liked them. If they are phasing them out, I think it is a mistake. But it may have just been poor timing on my part.

Mooobooks
DVC Landbaron's post was much jollier after a visit from Disney than his random bombardments during the rest of the year
Yes! Glad you noticed!! It’ll take a few weeks for me to get into my old cynical self again. The Pirate mentioned that he likes me better after a Disney visit too!! ;)
Disney is good therapy for the grumps.
Hmmm. Are you implying…. ;)
he has enough points to stay at OKW for THREE WEEKS with 7 (and sometimes more) people! Yikes! Think of all the points for all those people!
Nah! It ain’t that much. I just do one – two bedroom. My parents, brother, and two sets of friends are also members. Another two families stayed at the Beach Club.
Glad to hear he thought the place looked clean as it always has: this mirrors my own observations and flies in the face of some of the other reports we've been hearing about how filthy and unpainted things are. Simply not true.
Ahhh! But it was true as little as a year and a half ago. Some of the areas and points of discussions were filthy and lacked the ‘magical’ Disney care that we all take for granted. That’s why I took the time, this time, to point out that the place looked pretty good to eyes that were not examining every nook and cranny.
Thank you, DVC Landbaron, for a heartfelt and caring review.
You are very welcome, my friend. And thanks for the insight concerning Fantasmic on the west coast. I will keep it in mind!!

Mr. Show!!
For some reason when I tried calling you the number didn't work...maybe I copied it down wrong
It is quite possible that I gave you the wrong number. I never call my own cell, and I have a very bad habit of inverting two of the numbers. In a PM to someone here (the Pirate or Greg perhaps) I had to re-send after I realized my mistake!! Anyway, it was great to meet with you. I love the face to face thing!!

And I’m here to tell you all that AV’s secret identity is still intact! Even after the thumbscrews and bamboo shoots, Mr. Show wouldn’t say a thing!! Very frustrating!!!!!!!! :mad: ;) ;)

I think that you and I must have been related in a previous life!

You opinions mirror mine EXACTLY from our week long trip in June (we stayed at OKW).

Anything special I should look out for when I get there tomorrow?

Lisa:cool:

Anything special I should look out for when I get there tomorrow?
Yeah! His name is Phil Holmes. A real nice guy, but a bit of a corporate type. He's very good with the marshmallow answers. Go see him, call him, telephone him, but get the message to him that the hours - STINK!!!!

Other than that - HAVE A GOOD TIME!!! (I did!) ;)

"If we ever lose our audience, it will cost us 10 times as much to get them back."

Walt Disney

I just wanted to point out that back in the 70s/80s when I visited as a tween with my parents they also had the vacums after the parade. I vividly remember this beacause at the time I thought it was 'cool' how they cleaned up the trash and that the streets were clean right after a parade.

Looking back in hindsight things always seem beter than they actually were. I hope folks take that into account when reading some of the 'way back then things were better' posts. I am not trying to negate what LB is saying - but what people remember about the past is not always 100% accurate. (I can not remember what I had for breakfast the day before last :D )

I do agree about the hours and that MK should never close when it is still daylight - but still in car #1 as I see this as a short term issue due to the economy.

As a side note - IOA has almost identical hours for Aug with early closings. I do not see any IOA bashing on the Universal thread ....

Glad you had a great trip!

Dave O.

But Mr Baron, I believe that so much of what is wrong with MGM reflects the problems at WDW in general. I remember when the parade was the excellent Toy Story parade, Star Tours was still new and exciting, the Backlot Tour taught something, there was NO hat ;) and in general MGM was all shiny and new like the Horizons :( song says. But until recently at least the parade was lame, Star Tours needs to be updated, the Backlot Tour is cut down to bare bones, the HAT (!) exists and the rest of the park is getting old and tired. And MGM isn't even THAT old.

I love Sid's and Streetmosphere. As long as these two institutions stay in place, I'm OK. Did you visit the Singin' in the Rain umbrella?

Thanks again for a super report.

My good Baron, thanks for the insight into the state of the World today. A truthful and entertaining report.

All I have to say is that I am glad that we have become off season converts and will remain off season visitors for a while. Even off season I have noticed the pain of limited options and the lines to get out in the mass exodus resulting from the MK hours. Lest you think I feel it cripples the Magic - it does not, but I know what you are talking about. As we have communicated before, we both know the agony and extasy that a summer WDW vacation can be. The reduced hours do take away a large part of that extasy :(.

I won't debate your address - we'll have plenty of threads that cover most of your observations to do that. However, if I felt like debating I could certainly go on about the 'MGM 3/4 park' and 'AK Diversion' ............. ;)

However, if I felt like debating I could certainly go on about the 'MGM 3/4 park' and 'AK Diversion'
I didn't put those phases in by accident!! That's why they were there!! ;)

DaveO
I just wanted to point out that back in the 70s/80s when I visited as a tween with my parents they also had the vacuums after the parade. I vividly remember this because at the time I thought it was 'cool' how they cleaned up the trash and that the streets were clean right after a parade.
Absolutely!! They were most certainly there. They made one pass up Main Street and around the hub. That was it! JUST ONE PASS!! Not another bothersome noise for the rest of the night! Today, however, they cover every square inch of main Street, the Hub AND the front entrance!!! Incessantly!! Continuously!!! All bloody night long!!! IT IS A VERY BAD SHOW!!!!!!
Looking back in hindsight things always seem beter than they actually were.
Not when we compare “Walt’s” Disney with Disney®!!
I can not remember what I had for breakfast the day before last
Niether can I!! :crazy: But I can remember when the entire Magic Kingdom was opened until 1:00 in the morning!! Every night!!! FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!!! Now that’s something to remember!!!
I do agree about the hours and that MK should never close when it is still daylight - but still in car #1 as I see this as a short term issue due to the economy.
If you can figure out a way to place a logical bet on that, you can name the amount and I’ll rush to meet it!!! In other words – I could not disagree more!!!
As a side note - IOA has almost identical hours for Aug with early closings. I do not see any IOA bashing on the Universal thread
Again I ask – What has IOA got to do with Disney? I don’t get it!! :confused:

Mr. Landbaron,
Thank you so much for your vacation insights. It seems you had a 'nice' trip. I agree in may ways with many things you wrote about. We also disagree on things. But your report was very interesting.
The shortened hours gets me steamed. If there was anything they could change for the 'betterment' of WDW, it should be the hours. NEVER NEVER NEVER should MK close before dark. That should be considered sacreligious!!

I hate seeing Epcot fall apart. It is one of my favorites also. FW is in diarray and it depresses one to actual see it. Talking about it one thing, but you see it with your own eyes, you want to cry. Corporate sponsers, aaaccccchhhhhhhh!

I don't look forward to seeing Dino-Rama. Thats another depressing subject.

Glad you enjoyed Beauty and the Beast. MGM is a fun place for me and my family. The shows make it all worth while. Yes, in places, it needs to be updated though.

Love those buffets too! Hot diggity dog! One of my favorite things to to in Disney, EAT!!!! Did you try Boma, Cape May, Chef Mick's, Restaurantasaurus??? (To name a few)

I do feel myself agreeing with Dave O. He had some good points and I am 'hoping' (this is where my rose colored glasses come in to view) things change when/if the economy improves.

Once again, thanks for the "address":)

Originally posted by DVC-Landbaron

YES!! I loved it!!! It's every bit as good and probably better than anything Disney is doing currently!! My kids LOVED it as well (from 20 years old down to eight). I'm very afraid has been caught sleeping while Universal has been grasping the pulse of the public!!

His turn to the Dark Side is nearly complete. Welcome to "The Land of Limbo"...Disney lovers that also love IOA and or US. It really is a great park. Warnning though, you might be chastized by some of the Universal Haters for your views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter