Debt Dumpers - 2018

I joined this thread in 2017, but then we got engaged, and had a Disney wedding - so those expenses added up. However, the wedding was two weeks ago, and we have no other Disney trips currently planned :( - but that just means it's time to pay off debt!

As a wedding present, my dad actually wiped out my smaller line of credit. So, even with paying for the entire wedding ourselves, we are starting 2018 with less debt than we had in 2017 thanks to my dad!

Goals for the year:
  • Pay off at least $10,000 of existing debt (I'd actually like to pay off closer to $15,000)
  • Save $2000 to buy new winter tires/rims next fall (my current tires are all-season, and have less than 8000km on them so they've been fine for this winter, but I think they won't be super great by next winter)
  • Grow savings to have enough to cover minimum 3 months expenses (I currently have enough in savings to cover about a month and half)

Oh she is adorable! How sad that anyone could have abandoned her!
I love the "sprained tail"! :rotfl2:

How many payments do you need to complete to qualify for the PSLF? My coworker's daughter is in a similar situation as a teacher.
What is the benefit of recalculating your student loans? Is that like refinancing?:scratchin

So for teachers, the public service forgiveness is very different. You have to work at specific schools for a set term of years consecutively (I think), and the amount forgiven is capped pretty low. For PSLF, as long as you took out your loans after 2007 and work for the government or qualified non-profit organizations, you can have the remaining balance of your loans forgiven after 120 on time monthly payments on an income based repayment plan. So every year I have to recertify my income with my student loan provider so they know how much I'm making and can determine my monthly student loan payment. So I'm up to the low 30s now for the number of payments made, so I'll need to pay for another 80-something months (so 7+ years) in order to have my loans forgiven. The plan can be really great, but it really depends on your job/student loan debt. For some people it's not worth it and they're better off just paying off their loans as quickly as possible. For others, like myself, who work for the government and have a massive amount of student loans, it can be really beneficial. I only took out enough loans to cover the cost of my tuition, but it's still in the six figures. And working for the local government isn't exactly filling my bank account to the brim! That being said, I'm very fortunate to have the job I have, and I love it!

I can't share this too widely in real life yet but one of my grad-school-applying kids was just awarded a full scholarship to one of his top choice schools. So not really debt-dumping but definitely debt-avoiding for him (and possibly for us too, since we are willing to help our kids with education expenses).

Sold my car today. Got $535 for it through Peddle.com. Pretty happy with that considering every junkyard wanted to give me like $200 since my car (Chevy Aveo) isn't worth much to begin with, and with several major parts busted its worth next to nothing. So that goes in the savings account toward a new car this summer. Cancelled car insurance on it so hopefully that'll be a savings we can put toward paying off dh's car.

Sold my car today. Got $535 for it through Peddle.com. Pretty happy with that considering every junkyard wanted to give me like $200 since my car (Chevy Aveo) isn't worth much to begin with, and with several major parts busted its worth next to nothing. So that goes in the savings account toward a new car this summer. Cancelled car insurance on it so hopefully that'll be a savings we can put toward paying off dh's car.
Glad it worked out. I had a great experience with peddle.com.

So for teachers, the public service forgiveness is very different. You have to work at specific schools for a set term of years consecutively (I think), and the amount forgiven is capped pretty low. For PSLF, as long as you took out your loans after 2007 and work for the government or qualified non-profit organizations, you can have the remaining balance of your loans forgiven after 120 on time monthly payments on an income based repayment plan. So every year I have to recertify my income with my student loan provider so they know how much I'm making and can determine my monthly student loan payment. So I'm up to the low 30s now for the number of payments made, so I'll need to pay for another 80-something months (so 7+ years) in order to have my loans forgiven. The plan can be really great, but it really depends on your job/student loan debt. For some people it's not worth it and they're better off just paying off their loans as quickly as possible. For others, like myself, who work for the government and have a massive amount of student loans, it can be really beneficial. I only took out enough loans to cover the cost of my tuition, but it's still in the six figures. And working for the local government isn't exactly filling my bank account to the brim! That being said, I'm very fortunate to have the job I have, and I love it!

There is also a Gov't program for teachers that allows for loan forgiveness up to 17.500 (for math, sci, and spec ed) and up to 7,500 for everything else.
Requirements must 1) work in the "same school" for 5 years same school is defined as same building (for example same high school within the school district) for this loan they treat each building component as a completely separate school. I worked at our MS for 1 year then in the HS for 4 years but that did not qualify because it was not the same school (at least to the terms of the forgiveness) 2) be a "high needs school" for at least one year within your 5 year time frame. 3) you must be certified in your content area, 4) You can only apply once per year until approved (if there is a mistake on the form then you are done for that year) My superintendent did not date the form before he submitted it and then it was declined for that year. 6) you must be considered highly qualified (dual cert works for this) must continue meeting any additional professional hours required for your certification. It took me until 3 years before they finally approved my forgiveness.

1st time declined as it was not the "same" school (at end of my 5th year)
2nd time declined "we can not find your school within our database" funny they found t the previous year
3rd time superintendent did not date the form before he sent it in (had to be fully complete no omissions)
4th time declined because of the superintendent dated the form for July 1st instead of June 30th to match my dated signature. I was able to call them up and basically raise holy hell and say what does it matter, spent close to an hour on the phone talking w/ supervisors and such. I basically called them out on trying to withhold the loan forgiveness as a way to keep making interest payments. When I pulled out that card my loan forgiveness was approved!! Unfortunately the this loan forgiveness is handled by your student loan payment holder and where is the incentive for them to approve this? You have to be persistent with this particular one, when you get the denied letter call them up and ask why? Make them tell you why and then have them cite the "rule" for it on the form

Update on DD. We are still in the hospital. Overall, she is doing much better. She is more active and seems happier. She had a good night's sleep last night, only waking once. But she is still not eating much and they can't send us home unless she is eating enough to maintain minimum hydration levels, which she isn't even close to at this point. One of the residents came in this morning and asked me about having the occupational therapist see her today, since she has a history of feeding difficulties. I said that I thought it was a good idea. We worked so hard the past month+ to get her in a good place with eating. I really don't want to see a regression after all of this. She said she would mention it during rounds this morning, so hopefully the attending thinks it is a good idea as well. I don't want to go home if she isn't eating, but I would really love for us all to be back home soon.

Update on DD. We are still in the hospital. Overall, she is doing much better. She is more active and seems happier. She had a good night's sleep last night, only waking once. But she is still not eating much and they can't send us home unless she is eating enough to maintain minimum hydration levels, which she isn't even close to at this point. One of the residents came in this morning and asked me about having the occupational therapist see her today, since she has a history of feeding difficulties. I said that I thought it was a good idea. We worked so hard the past month+ to get her in a good place with eating. I really don't want to see a regression after all of this. She said she would mention it during rounds this morning, so hopefully the attending thinks it is a good idea as well. I don't want to go home if she isn't eating, but I would really love for us all to be back home soon.

Hope she continues to improve and you can get some help with her feeding!

Is she still very congested? Babies have a hard time eating when they can't breathe, so maybe it's just that and not her other feeding issues. (And it seems like the simplest explanation since she's been sick). I hope the OT can shed some light for you.

Is she still very congested? Babies have a hard time eating when they can't breathe, so maybe it's just that and not her other feeding issues. (And it seems like the simplest explanation since she's been sick). I hope the OT can shed some light for you.

I agree with @Eureka. Did the attending agree to consult with an OT? A speech therapist can also be great if there is an ongoing swallowing issue. Glad to hear she had a good night’s sleep and seems to be on the mend. I hope you’ve been able to rest some too. Thanks for the update and continued prayers for all!

We’ve had to have our headlights “refreshed.” I don’t know what exactly they do for that but it was about $300. Still not cheap but better than $1000.
How long did it last?
Toyota offers some similar service but if I'm going to spend that much, I'd buy new on Amazon and have dh install them.

My current snowball goal is a down payment for a new car. I'm hoping by June or July we can go shopping. I'd love a blue Subaru Outback. :lovestruc
My neighbor has an Acura SUV/crossover and I like that too but I'm guessing it would be a lot more $. I would feel guilty to spend that much on myself. :guilty:

Last edited:
I'm not a single mom, but because my fiancee and I work opposite shifts we rarely get dinner together. After I got done getting the kids to bed I realized I never ate dinner and totally ate a bowl of frosted mini wheats. :rotfl2:

and the clean up is so quick and easy! pixiedust:
:laughing:

How long did it last?
Toyota offers some similar service but if I'm going to spend that much, I'd buy new on Amazon and have dh install them.

My current snowball goal is a down payment for a new car. I'm hoping by June or July we can go shopping. I'd love a blue Subaru Outback. :lovestruc
My neighbor has an Acura SUV/crossover and I like that too but I'm guessing it would be a lot more $. I would feel guilty to spend that much on myself. :guilty:
We just had it done in November on our 2004 minivan and I don't think we'd ever had to do it before (we bought it in 2006).

I agree with @Eureka. Did the attending agree to consult with an OT? A speech therapist can also be great if there is an ongoing swallowing issue. Glad to hear she had a good night’s sleep and seems to be on the mend. I hope you’ve been able to rest some too. Thanks for the update and continued prayers for all!

She still has some congestion, but it is a lot better than it was even yesterday. I can't hear her breathing from across the room anymore. The nurse said that she still sounds congested in her upper chest though, so it might still be affecting her eating. They said that OT referred her to speech pathology and it doesn't seem anyone will be by today because it is too late. They didn't even make rounds until around noon and the orders didn't get in until after that. She kicked her IV out, so she is no longer on IV fluids. That was the plan yesterday except the fluids continued until right before the doctors made their rounds, so a lot longer than I thought she would be on them today. It is almost certain that we will be here another night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter