Debt Dumpers 2020

I was wondering if you guys were still planning on taking your cruise or not. Sounds like you guys have a good plan in place. :)

I'm fairly certain if I moved our cruise now, we'd end up losing money on it. At least if they cancel us we can either get a refund or a future cruise credit plus extra onboard spending money. I just hate not knowing what's going to happen. :(

We kind of wanted to wait for FCC possibility, but flights for our time period have slowly been going up in price in the last 2 weeks, so we knew we would have to get that booked very soon if we wanted affordable flights. I already have credit for one Southwest flight I had to cancel for January that I am going to lose as it expires in October and we have no where to go before then, and we didn't want to risk more flight credits that we may not be able to use.

I agree that the not knowing is the worst part. I know it's not totally the cruise lines fault, it's not like they know what's going to happen with COVID19 in the next few months, but it's still frustrating to have very little coming from any of the cruise lines in terms of plans or information. I'm a TA and we aren't getting any more information than the general public is getting, but there is a lot of talk and fear that several of the major cruise lines aren't going to financially be able to come back from this shutdown. I hope that isn't the case but it sadly won't surprise me if it is.

We kind of wanted to wait for FCC possibility, but flights for our time period have slowly been going up in price in the last 2 weeks, so we knew we would have to get that booked very soon if we wanted affordable flights. I already have credit for one Southwest flight I had to cancel for January that I am going to lose as it expires in October and we have no where to go before then, and we didn't want to risk more flight credits that we may not be able to use.

I agree that the not knowing is the worst part. I know it's not totally the cruise lines fault, it's not like they know what's going to happen with COVID19 in the next few months, but it's still frustrating to have very little coming from any of the cruise lines in terms of plans or information. I'm a TA and we aren't getting any more information than the general public is getting, but there is a lot of talk and fear that several of the major cruise lines aren't going to financially be able to come back from this shutdown. I hope that isn't the case but it sadly won't surprise me if it is.
DCL is still trying to get all their CMs home.:sad2:

(Still, I would so LOVE a day at Castaway Cay right now.) :cloud9:

I remember that our DCL cruise is at the same time as your Mardi Gras cruise, and we are feeling nervous about cruising too. So much so that DH and I discussed it last night and decided to move our cruise to next year. Right now we are thinking of moving it to April 2021, there is the same cruise (7 day E Caribbean on Fantasy) for pretty much the same cost (only ~$41 more total). Between the CDC report not endorsing cruising still, NCL cancelling through September and still no real word from DCL beyond occasional extensions of their cancellations we just felt safer moving it now. We knew we would need to start booking our flights, hotel before and after cruise, etc really soon and didn't want to do that and take the risk of losing that money. We do still want to take some sort of vacation though, especially since our WDW trip for this year was also cancelled due to COVID19, so we are thinking of a road trip with our dog. It will be our first vacation with her, she is 1.5 years old and does great in the car so we anticipate she will enjoy it. Just started planning it today so not sure what it will consist of, but thinking of driving from our home in Maryland, heading south along the East Coast, stopping as various dog-friendly beaches, eateries, etc along the way for a day each, ending in Florida (with an obligatory take-out stop in Disney Springs included to get some of our favorite CS meals like Polite Pig) and then back up to Maryland. Still in the VERY early planning so this could change. Will probably change it to the last week of October too, to make it easier on my sister/landlord. We rent from our home from her, and she planned on redoing our bathroom while we were on our cruise to make it easier on us to not be missing our only bathroom for a week. Date was kind of locked in with a cruise, but it would work better for everyone involved in the bathroom remodel (my sister and father) to do it late October instead if dates are more flexible, so we will probably do that.
I'm definitely getting worried about our cruise. I read today that NCL has canceled all cruises through Sept 30th, but none of the other major lines have followed through as of yet. We haven't bought park tickets yet, as I wanted to be sure we were actually going before we did (didn't wanna be stuck with WDW tickets). So worst case scenario on the front for us is we try and go to Universal instead. There's just so many things up on the air right now, but I'm not quite willing to cancel my cruise on my own, so I guess I'm just stuck waiting.
https://dclfan.com/latest/cruise-in...uspension-of-operations-through-september-15/:sad1:
I know it has to be but still sucks for people trying to make plans.

Thanks @ruadisneyfan2, I saw that news earlier today 😞😞😞 I told my DH that we need to have a serious conversation about what we wanna do with our potential vacation trip in November. We hadn't bought disney tickets yet, and there's no guarantee we'll be able to buy tickets or even get reservations for the days we will potentially be there. I also dont wanna be stuck with a dvc rental that I cant cancel if things go south, since that's a lot of money to lose out on. <insert huge sigh here>

Thanks @ruadisneyfan2, I saw that news earlier today 😞😞😞 I told my DH that we need to have a serious conversation about what we wanna do with our potential vacation trip in November. We hadn't bought disney tickets yet, and there's no guarantee we'll be able to buy tickets or even get reservations for the days we will potentially be there. I also dont wanna be stuck with a dvc rental that I cant cancel if things go south, since that's a lot of money to lose out on. <insert huge sigh here>

I can almost guarantee you that if you don't already have tickets for WDW for this year, you won't be getting them. I'm a TA and we had a webinar today with our WDW rep about all of the changes coming and how the park reservation system would work, etc. It is extremely unlikely any more tickets would be sold as they are already oversold for the 25% park capacity as is. Unless a lot of people cancel/reschedule to 2021 then they won't be selling for any further 2020 dates, and even those potential dates would be sporadic and only the specific park(s) that still had openings those days. Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you would be wise to not plan for WDW this year.

I love renting DVC points but these days it’s not a good time to be renting. These days one needs very flexible, easy to cancel reservations. Being locked into anything with no refunds is risky.
That said, it still doesn’t make me want to be an owner either. I considered it years ago when our kids were younger and we were going 2-3x per year. I don’t want the obligation. Jmho. Clearly, there are plenty of happy owners who enjoy it.

Thanks @PhoenixStrength and @ruadisneyfan2. I think we're leaning towards cancelling the dvc rental (no penalty right now) and possibly renting a different hotel room. If our cruise doesnt happen, we're not gonna go to Florida. If it does happen (I can't change my flights out there) we'll just have to figure out something to do for those 3 days. Maybe universal, maybe the beach.

I love renting DVC points but these days it’s not a good time to be renting. These days one needs very flexible, easy to cancel reservations. Being locked into anything with no refunds is risky.
That said, it still doesn’t make me want to be an owner either. I considered it years ago when our kids were younger and we were going 2-3x per year. I don’t want the obligation. Jmho. Clearly, there are plenty of happy owners who enjoy it.

we bought dvc back in '99 then sold it off in '07 or '08. i can't imagine what the maintenance fees are like now-they were very expensive as compared to other time shares back then. we only justified it for the period we owned it b/c we could use the points on cruises. we did 2 disney and 1 non disney all on points along with (over the time we owned it) about 30 or so days in nicer level lodging than i would have been willing to pay out of pocket for. back then we could get those great 14 day non expiring tickets so we would buy tickets for a trip and still have days to use 2 or 3 years later on the next one (ds still has one day left on his-he's 23 and his was priced at child's rate :rotfl2: ). with ticket prices now and esp. with everything that's going on there's no way dvc could entice us back.

we bought dvc back in '99 then sold it off in '07 or '08. i can't imagine what the maintenance fees are like now-they were very expensive as compared to other time shares back then. we only justified it for the period we owned it b/c we could use the points on cruises. we did 2 disney and 1 non disney all on points along with (over the time we owned it) about 30 or so days in nicer level lodging than i would have been willing to pay out of pocket for. back then we could get those great 14 day non expiring tickets so we would buy tickets for a trip and still have days to use 2 or 3 years later on the next one (ds still has one day left on his-he's 23 and his was priced at child's rate :rotfl2: ). with ticket prices now and esp. with everything that's going on there's no way dvc could entice us back.

Oh my gosh, we also still have non-expiring tickets with water park visits remaining from way back.:laughing: Our kids are now 23 & 20. lol
I miss being able to spread a ticket over several visits. As each child grew closer to their 10th birthday, we'd buy a large ticket (10 day non-exp, with like 10 water park visits) let them use one day as a child, then save it for after they turn 10 to convert to an adult ticket. They were the good old days. :cloud9: Our tax refund could easily fund 4 of those tickets.

I will always love WDW and it will always have a special place in my heart, but the last time we were there it was so incredibly packed even in early December (which used to be considered off peak) and so expensive, that we decided we're probably not returning until we have grandchildren someday. Our kids don't want to go any more and as we age we seek more relaxing vacations. DCL still does it for me; it's a relaxing way to get some Disney love. :lovestruc

Oh my gosh, we also still have non-expiring tickets with water park visits remaining from way back.:laughing: Our kids are now 23 & 20. lol
I miss being able to spread a ticket over several visits. As each child grew closer to their 10th birthday, we'd buy a large ticket (10 day non-exp, with like 10 water park visits) let them use one day as a child, then save it for after they turn 10 to convert to an adult ticket. They were the good old days. :cloud9: Our tax refund could easily fund 4 of those tickets.

I will always love WDW and it will always have a special place in my heart, but the last time we were there it was so incredibly packed even in early December (which used to be considered off peak) and so expensive, that we decided we're probably not returning until we have grandchildren someday. Our kids don't want to go any more and as we age we seek more relaxing vacations. DCL still does it for me; it's a relaxing way to get some Disney love. :lovestruc

Try Universal. I’m in my 40s, and I love it as an extended weekend trip. Your kids might like it too.

I know folks in their 20s that are burnt out on Disney from their parents taking them so often. The magic is gone for them.

Well my goals for 2020 aren't quite what I had in mind. I am finally looking back at what I originally posted and pretty much everything has changed. LOL June was a very expensive month for us but no new debt so I guess that is a win right?! As you can see from the goals below since all of our vacation plans changed this year we decided to bump up the timeline to purchase a RV. We were originally looking at a Class B/B+ style RV however the expense was just way more then I was willing to pay. So we started to look at Travel Trailers since we have owned one in the past and they are much less. I am happy to say we are the proud owners of a new to us travel trailer! Even better we paid cash! We will be leaving in 2 weeks for our first big adventure hitting up Mammoth Cave and Hot Springs National Parks. We have a goal to visit every National Park. We also plan to stop by Shiloh and Vicksburg battle fields. My husband wants to visit all of the Civil War Battlefields.

I plan to really focus on getting my savings back up and start paying extra on the house again for the 2nd half of year. I was able to make double payments for 2 months but now want to use the extra payments to build back up our savings. Unfortunately my weight loss goal has also been set aside for a few months as I have been dealing with extremely high blood pressure (200+/100+). I have lost a significant amount of weight and I run almost everyday but unfortunately I can't escape family genes. I have been working with my doctor since March to get it under control and I think we are getting closer so now I can focus on losing the last bit that I need to vs fearing a stroke.

I don't post a lot but I read everyone's post and they are so helpful to stay motivated and keep going!

2020 Financial Goals:
Pay off Car: $9,735 - Paid off in March!
Savings: $10k - Had $18k, bought an RV and now have $6,800 - going to be working hard to get this back up to at least $10k
Pay off cruise (due March 20): $2,305 - DONE - Now cancelled
Pay for Disney trip in Nov. to complete Wine and Dine Challenge: $3,000 - I have decided not to do this as DH and I really want to purchase a used RV to travel in so this money is now being allocated to RV Fund.
New Goal RV Fund - Bought an RV in June with money in savings!

2020 Personal Goals:

Complete 1/2 marathon in April for proof of time for Wine and Dine - No longer doing
Achieve Healthy BMI weight - 145 pounds
Complete Wine and Dine Challenge (10k and Half Marathon) - No longer doing
Complete riding the GAP with hubby - Thinking Late Aug or Sept sometime

Well my goals for 2020 aren't quite what I had in mind. I am finally looking back at what I originally posted and pretty much everything has changed. LOL June was a very expensive month for us but no new debt so I guess that is a win right?! As you can see from the goals below since all of our vacation plans changed this year we decided to bump up the timeline to purchase a RV. We were originally looking at a Class B/B+ style RV however the expense was just way more then I was willing to pay. So we started to look at Travel Trailers since we have owned one in the past and they are much less. I am happy to say we are the proud owners of a new to us travel trailer! Even better we paid cash! We will be leaving in 2 weeks for our first big adventure hitting up Mammoth Cave and Hot Springs National Parks. We have a goal to visit every National Park. We also plan to stop by Shiloh and Vicksburg battle fields. My husband wants to visit all of the Civil War Battlefields.

I plan to really focus on getting my savings back up and start paying extra on the house again for the 2nd half of year. I was able to make double payments for 2 months but now want to use the extra payments to build back up our savings. Unfortunately my weight loss goal has also been set aside for a few months as I have been dealing with extremely high blood pressure (200+/100+). I have lost a significant amount of weight and I run almost everyday but unfortunately I can't escape family genes. I have been working with my doctor since March to get it under control and I think we are getting closer so now I can focus on losing the last bit that I need to vs fearing a stroke.

I don't post a lot but I read everyone's post and they are so helpful to stay motivated and keep going!

2020 Financial Goals:
Pay off Car: $9,735 - Paid off in March!
Savings: $10k - Had $18k, bought an RV and now have $6,800 - going to be working hard to get this back up to at least $10k
Pay off cruise (due March 20): $2,305 - DONE - Now cancelled
Pay for Disney trip in Nov. to complete Wine and Dine Challenge: $3,000 - I have decided not to do this as DH and I really want to purchase a used RV to travel in so this money is now being allocated to RV Fund.
New Goal RV Fund - Bought an RV in June with money in savings!

2020 Personal Goals:

Complete 1/2 marathon in April for proof of time for Wine and Dine - No longer doing
Achieve Healthy BMI weight - 145 pounds
Complete Wine and Dine Challenge (10k and Half Marathon) - No longer doing
Complete riding the GAP with hubby - Thinking Late Aug or Sept sometime

congrats on the new purchase! when not in pandemic mode our area gets lots of people with rv's and travel trailers-the local news reports that sales of them are skyrocketing b/c people are looking to alternatives to hotel/air travel. seems like the vacations many of us remember as kids is making a comeback!

our goals for this year changed as well-it was going to be just saving as much as possible. still saving but decided to bite the bullet and get some painting/deck clean up & refinishing done. NOT CHEAP but dh nearly killed himself trying to do the deck on own several years ago (BIG deck) and since the company was going to be out here anyway it seemed more cost effective to get all the outdoor work done at once. our vacations will be stay at home until a tested and proven vaccine is made so having everything all spiffed up will be nice.

Went waaaaaaaaaaay back to the beginning and brought up this bad boy for some accountability AND to let others see (lurkers or newbies) know that some of us are still in the thick of it. But we work on it. Also, it's about adjusting your sails when things like COVID and being laid off to part-time.

2020 Goals
Financial:

1. Pay off Discover card. – This has now swapped to #2 goal. I'm paying more than minimums, but it's scheduled to be paid off January at the latest.
  2. Pay off Sapphire card. – I am 4 payments (3 if I get SUPER creative!) away from having this paid off! Then we will utilize this card for #3
  3. Shift purchases to CC’s after balances are paid. – Currently using my Chase Disney card and paying it off every week.
  4. Continue Roth contributions. – I was able to fund this at $50/week until June. I figured I can add if I'd like, but I'm okay with holding off until next year.
  5. Continue vacation fund. – This still exists, though we are now looking at it as our second emergency fund instead. Because DH being laid off and rehired 3 times will do that...
  6. Get that snowball spreadsheet updated and started. – Re-upped this June 1st with new totals. On target and excited!

Personal:

1. Maintain weight. – Doing well here, which is important for my upcoming surgeries.
  2. Finish two manuscripts. – hahahahahahahahha...though I DID get a contract for one of them and the due date is 12/31/20
  3. Carve out family time. – Thanks COVID!
  4. Breathe. – Things will happen. I can’t stress out waiting for the genetic results on my dad’s cancer to see if I’m a carrier. Update: after testing positive, I've learned to cope in small doses. I can’t hold the anger when my oldest’s boyfriend manipulates her and I want to bury him (would like to say that I’m joking…). Update: life has been SO MUCH BETTER after she broke up with him. Her mental health is in a better place, therefore mine is too. I’m learning to say “no” to some things and “yes” to others. But I have to keep reminding myself to quit clutching onto the things I cannot control. Update: still working on the control part. I like lists and control. In that order. :rotfl2:

I guess I will post my mid-year update since it's close enough to the end of the month:

2020 Financial Goals:
  • Pay off at least $5000 of credit card debt- Haven't done the best job of keeping track of the numbers (I have the info, just not all in one place to get an easy total) but I know I'm more than halfway through this!
  • Pay off remainder of DH's car loan (should be done in March)- Done
  • Save $1500 towards emergency savings account- Haven't technically increased this by much at all. I had more in there, but then had 2 different car issues that wiped us back out. At least we had that amount though so we didn't add to our debt, now just to get back to adding to it again!
  • Contribute more to our retirement savings (still figuring out a realistic increase to aim for)- Still haven't gotten on this, hoping to soon!
  • Pay off remaining $3500 for November 2020 DCL cruise.- Moved to April 2021, but have $3000 of it
  • Save enough to be able to add at least a few days at WDW before our November cruise.- See above
  • Start saving for our 2021 tentatively planned vacations. We know one will be to WDW with my SIL, BIL and DNephew for his first WDW trip for his 5th birthday in May 2021, still deciding if the other will be Hawaii or somewhere else.- Well, these have changed to instead be the 2 trips we were supposed to take this year, the above cruise and a WDW trip with some of my family that was supposed to be in March of this year and is now going to be in October of 2021. Trip with SIL, BIL and DNeph will still happen some day but they keep flaking on us so we are putting them off.
2020 Personal Goals:
  • Eat healthier, especially stop drinking so much soda.- Doing better at this, had initially gained some weight from stress eating due to everything going on in the world, but realized how much worse I was making my life by doing that and I have lost 7lbs in the past 2 weeks just from eliminating 98% of the soda I drank and eating healthier.
  • Exercise more.- Harder to due with no gym, no workout equipment at home and having asthma that does not like working out outside in the heat/humidity, but I'm trying to just even walk around my apartment more to at least get steps in.
  • Try more new activities with DH. Aiming for one new thing each month.- Well COVID19 has eliminated this with nothing being open for months. Maybe next year.
  • Find new activities/hobbies to help reduce my stress and enjoy my time that don't involve spending money! :rotfl: A lot easier to not spend money when no where is open!

Last edited:
Try Universal. I’m in my 40s, and I love it as an extended weekend trip. Your kids might like it too.

I know folks in their 20s that are burnt out on Disney from their parents taking them so often. The magic is gone for them.
Been there, done that too. We had several years of APs. We are just parked out.
A theme park visit is a vacation but not usually a relaxing one. We are getting to the age that we just to be able to relax and decompress on vacation.

• Exercise more.- Harder to due with no gym, no workout equipment at home and having asthma that does not like working out outside in the heat/humidity, but I'm trying to just even walk around my apartment more to at least get steps in.

When I was out of work for 2 months, I eventually started working out. I hadn't done any of this since our kids were babies and they're now 23 & 20. I dug out my old DVDs from the 90's: Gilad - Bodies in Motion series. He used to be on PBS every morning and I eventually bought his Low Impact Aerobics videos when my gym went bankrupt in the late 90s. My kids laugh at Gilad's spandex pants but he offers a great work out that is simple and with lots of encouragement. The setting is always on a beach in Hawaii so that's nice to see. He has videos on youtube now so no need to buy.
I was never good at running and my allergies make it not so pleasant to go for a walk. I swore I'd stick with it even after returning to work but I'm just wiped out at night. Plus dh has dinner ready shortly after I get home and I can't do all that jumping around on a full stomach. I did it on the weekend after my first week of work and that's been it. I'm back to cramming all weekend again. Sigh.
I never really made a list of goals but my latest now is to save up enough to pay down our Discover cards. I used 2 balance transfer checks to have some extra to draw upon when covid first began and I was being put out of work a day or 2 each week. (Part of why I just opted to stay out and go on unemployment.) The other check for ds20's welding school tuition. He is in his 2nd week and loves it. Whew what a relief. Today he met a former student who is working on a pipeline and making $40+ per hour + OT. He is so ready (in his mind) to pack his bags and follow the money.
Anyway, the balance transfers are 0% until next April & May. I only have a few weeks left to save up for the one due in April. The other will be saved up by early November. Instead of saving for a whole bedroom set, I think we'll just replace our mattress and then attack our mortgage. That should begin in early December and I am so looking forward to this.

I know there is much debate about investing vs. paying off mortgage but with dh hitting his 60s, I would feel much better to have that burden gone.

So here are my goals.
Financial:
1. Discover Balance Transfer 0% expires in April $3000: pay off/hold full amount in savings by mid July
2. Discover Balance Transfer 0% expires in May $8900: pay off by mid November
3. Save $2000 for mattress set
4. Pay down mortgage.
This will hold me over for a few years but then after that...
5. Save $30k for a truck for dh.
6. Save for bedroom set.
7. Put as much as possible into retirement accounts.

Personal:
Get more sleep. Aim for 7-8 hours
Stick with healthy/natural snacks. (not fabricated in a factory)
Exercise more

Joining in on mid-year update! These were my goals:

1. Buy DH a car... immediately. His car is burning oil at an alarming rate so it needs to go ASAP. Plan is to pay cash for this new car. It’ll serious deplete our savings, but...- Done! We bought his new (to us) car a couple days after posting this. Paid cash, which felt great!
2. Beef savings back up. DH will get healthy stock payout and annual bonuses in the spring, so I’ll use those to replenish our savings after buying the car. - Done! His bonus and stock payout were almost the exact amount of what we paid for his car.
3. Pay DH’s student loan off. We have about $3900 left on it right now. We prefer to get bigger tax refunds so I’m hoping we can get a good amount from that to put towards the loan. If there’s anything left, we’ll probably just pull it from savings. -Still not done. We are down to $3300. Honestly, the money is sitting there in Ally and could go at anytime, but I haven't wanted to part with it with all the craziness.
4. Get our house painted. Our house is ugly, for real, and I’m tired of looking at it. I got a quote for $2300 for painting our house and two sheds and am seriously considering doing it this year.- Done! Got it painted this spring and it looks great!! We've gotten a lot of compliments on it!
5. Up my retirement contributions. My 403(b) (government employee here) is maxed, but I also have a 457 plan that I’m only contributing $20 per paycheck too. I’d also like to up that to help get my student loan payment down further. -Still not done, BUT I did start stock investment accounts for both of us. With travel company stocks so low this spring, I decided to take advantage of the "sale" and invested a small amount for each of us, about $800 each, in a couple different airlines and cruise companies. We have already both made a decent amount and prices are still way down, so I'm looking forward to seeing them rebound!

When I was out of work for 2 months, I eventually started working out. I hadn't done any of this since our kids were babies and they're now 23 & 20. I dug out my old DVDs from the 90's: Gilad - Bodies in Motion series. He used to be on PBS every morning and I eventually bought his Low Impact Aerobics videos when my gym went bankrupt in the late 90s.
I wish I had saved some of my old VCR workout tapes (and, a VCR...) from the later 80s. I had a little collection of VCR tapes to include Buns of Steel (with abs of iron!) and some other such ones complete with awesome leotards and tights (I also owned some cool ones, along with scrunchy socks and cool LA Gear shoes to complete the workout ensemble....) :rotfl2: The workouts are available though it seems on YouTube now, lol. Yes, I remember Gilad!
Congrats on the RV. We kind of regret selling our travel trailer now!!!

I wish I had saved some of my old VCR workout tapes (and, a VCR...) from the later 80s. I had a little collection of VCR tapes to include Buns of Steel (with abs of iron!) and some other such ones complete with awesome leotards and tights (I also owned some cool ones, along with scrunchy socks and cool LA Gear shoes to complete the workout ensemble....) :rotfl2: The workouts are available though it seems on YouTube now, lol. Yes, I remember Gilad!

Congrats on the RV. We kind of regret selling our travel trailer now!!!

:lmao:
I still have Buns of Steel on VHS, no player any more. The tape is probably disintegrated by now. Maybe I can donate it to a museum. lol.
I was even a smoker back then and could zoom right through the whole thing. Omg, it was probably 1000 leg lifts in one session. I had high top Reeboks with the double Velcro strips at the top. Sooo cool back then with slouch socks. :rotfl: Don't forget the Guess jeans with little zippers at the ankles. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter