December 2023 Land and Sea - Pre-Trip Planning!

LarryGadget

DIS Veteran
With 350+ days leading up to our family’s land and sea adventure, I thought I would start a pre-trip planning report to help pass the time and to hopefully get advice from other experienced Disney World and Disney Cruise Line vacationers as our plans evolve.

I’ll start with a little background. We are a family of 4 residing in Davidson, North Carolina. My wife, Lisa, and I have 2 grown daughters, Emily (26) and Caroline (24). I first went to Disney World as a child with my parents and younger brother in 1976. In the late 80s I lived in Southern California and visited Disneyland often. When Lisa and I married in 1991 we spent our honeymoon at Disney World. Time passed, our daughters were born, and when they were 4 & 6 years old we took our first Disney World trip in 2002. Stayed at the Beach Club and also did a 4 day cruise on the Wonder. We were hooked. Over the past 20 years we made another 10 or so trips as a family, sometimes land and sea, sometimes just the parks, and a few times cruise only.

Just for fun, I’ve included 2 pictures below from our first trip with kids in 2002 and then another from a more recent trip early in 2022.

7128F302-9ED9-4933-AB13-C83920575A30.jpeg22876165-C3E3-47C9-A18D-696C83AF4284.jpeg
33E8D697-5C63-4825-8AB0-9AB65A618B4B.jpeg

So that brings us to this next trip. It’ll be all 4 of us, and with the busy schedules of our daughters it could be the last as a family for a while. The initial plan is for 2 days in the parks starting December 20, 2023 followed by a 4 day Disney Wish cruise, and then 4 more park days to close out the trip. Tentative resort and cruising plans below.

2-Night Contemporary
Dec 20 - 22, 2023

4-Night Disney Wish Cruise from Port Canaveral
Dec 22 - 26, 2023

4-Night Wilderness Lodge
Dec 26 - Dec 30, 2023

So that’s all for now. As the coming months unfold I will add more detail. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Part 1 of the Trip - 2 day Contemporary and Parks

This trip will be split into 3 parts. At first, I had plans for only 2 legs. Originally, we were going to fly into Orlando on December 16, spend 5 days in the parks and close with the 4 day cruise. Those plans had to change, though. My older daughter is a 5th grade school teacher and it turns out her Christmas break doesn’t start until 12/21/2023. I guessed wrong! So we had to adjust. (Side note - my wife works at the same school where my daughter teaches. She is the front desk lady)

4C9C7A1C-6DC6-4627-8721-9364106341DD.jpeg

Part 1 will be a quick 2 days in the parks leading up to the cruise. My older daughter and wife will plan to take the last day off before their break. My younger daughter will already be home as she’s at school and will have started her break already. We will either fly into Orlando early on Wednesday, 12/20 or we might also fly in late on 12/19, stay in a random hotel and get an early start at the parks.

I guess this is the first decision. Should we fly in late Tuesday night or early Wednesday? Either way we will have to drop off our luggage at the Contemporary bell services as early as possible and leave for whichever park we decide on.

I am excited to stay at the Contemporary. This is where my family stayed when I first visited Disney World in 1976 and we’ve never stayed there as a family. We currently have a room reserved in the Main Tower with a Theme Park view. It’s gonna be so cool to be able to see the monorail running outside our room and also having the view of the Magic Kingdom. Also looking forward to seeing the Incredibles themed room!

665F8894-D319-46DA-996E-19C3A9DAC831.jpeg

There are a few things we definitely want to do in those first 2 days. One park day will be the Magic Kingdom. And the other day will likely be Hollywood Studios or Epcot. Also, we really want to do Hoop Dee Doo Review the night before the cruise. Definitely a family fave! One other twist is that I think there is a likelihood that the Christmas Party at MK will be Thursday, 12/22. We’ve done the party once before and would do that too - but might not be able to make it happen especially if we plan for HDDR on that second day. I’ve laid out one scenario for those 2 days below. Let me know what you think or if you have other suggestions!

Scenario 1

Wed, 12/20 - Contemporary & Hollywood Studios

• In this scenario we fly in Tuesday morning, drop our stuff at bell services, and head to Hollywood Studios
  • Could do dinner at Hollywood Studios - maybe 50’s Prime Time
  • Another option could be to do dinner at Epcot and plan to see the new 100 anniversary Epcot fireworks show afterwards. Would love to get Space 220 ADRs, if this option plays out

Thu, 12/21 - Contemporary & Magic Kingdom
  • Rope drop Magic Kingdom since party will keep crowds low
  • Ride Tron!!
  • Hoop Dee Doo Review (6:15?)
  • Maybe end the day late night at Epcot?
Fri, 12/22 - Contemporary Check out/ Embarkation day. Take Disney transportation to cruise port

Other things we might want to do this first 2 days. Obviously we can’t do all of them so there are some decisions to make! OPEN TO ADVICE!
  • Get tickets to the Christmas Party on the second evening
  • Go to MK the first day and see the new fireworks show
  • Plan more time at Epcot. See the new Moana Water experience!
  • Space 220
  • Ride the Magic Kingdom rail road. It’s been too long!!
Aaaaaahhhhh! I’m already overwhelmed. Help!! 😀

Reactions: DLo
Part 1 of the Trip - 2 day Contemporary and Parks (I have a question!)

Ok. I think it makes sense to put a stake in the ground and go with the below plan for now. We can adjust as we get closer. Here’s what I’m thinking.

Tues, 12/18 - Fly into MCO in a late flight and stay off property

Wed, 12/20 - Contemporary & Hollywood Studios
  • Get up early, go to Contemporary bell services and drop off luggage, and head to Hollywood Studios AND rope drop.
  • Spend the day at Hollywood Studios with option to go to Epcot in evening
Thu, 12/21 - Contemporary & Magic Kingdom
  • Rope drop Magic Kingdom since likely party will keep crowds low
  • Ride Tron!!
  • Hoop Dee Doo Review (6:15)
Fri, 12/22 - Contemporary Check out/Embarkation day
  • Take Disney transportation to cruise port

Here’s a question for the group. Do you think it will be possible for us to go to the Contemporary early enough on 12/20 to drop off bags and leave in time to rope drop Hollywood studios? Or is that just too stressful and should we take our time and not try to do everything possible that first day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter