December travel tips

beffysky

Earning My Ears
My parents have planned a Christmas week cruise for us in 2018 and I'm pondering doing the parks the week prior. I know this is a super expensive time to be traveling so I'm looking for any tricks and tips to stay on property but not totally break the bank. We do have a Disney credit card, so I know we can use points from that to cover part of the stay. I know I've heard people buying points from DVC people (though I truly have NO idea how all that works) and would love to hear more info for accommodation options! We are a family of 5, so we need enough room to sleep all of us!

Yes, that is the most expensive time to go. Some people find discounted rates for Swan & Dolphin if you’re a teacher, nurse, etc. David’s DVC is a reputable company to buy DVC points. I wouldn’t feel safe just buying some random persons points. Going thru a reliable company may cost a bit more, but it’s safe.

With a family of 5 there is a few options, sounds like you want to save money so a family suite at All Star Music sleeps 6 and has 2 bathrooms, Port Orleans Riverside has 2 queens and a small bed for a child. AoA suites are a bit more, Fort Wilderness Cabins sleep 6 ( set of bunk beds). Then of course CR, Poly and GF sleep 5 but they can be spends that time of year.
There is a separate section on these board for renting points, I have done it twice and had no problems, if you can talk the owner in renting through PayPal you will be protected and you can use Davids DVC rental.
Renting can save money, if you get a 1 bedroom at OKW it sleeps 5, you will have a washer and dryer and a kitchen great for cooking breakfast, dinner or even just late night snacks.
Have fun!

We stayed last Christmas from 12/18-12/26. It was actually cheaper than when I planned to go in August. We were lucky enough to get free dining because we started our stay while it was still going on. We didn't use any money for food what so ever. I packed things for breakfast in room and brought snacks/drinks etc. We stayed at CBR. I planned everything out from dinner reservations, fast passes etc. Every day we were there felt busier and busier however it was so worth it.

My family is doing a DVC rental this year the week before Christmas at Wilderness Lodge. Renting points was half the cost of a standard WL room for 6 days, even with a typical discount. Only negative is that points for renting are in such high demand, you really need to commit at the start of the 11-month window of your planned trip. There are several renting companies out there, and we have had a positive experience with DVC Rental Store.

Regarding food, our family no longer goes in for free dining or any kind of dining plan. They are expensive and more food than we can ever eat. We've taken to paying as we go, and using Garden Grocer for free delivery of a lot of items we can keep in the hotel. We save enough money that we can splurge on a sit down dinner each evening, and still come out money ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter