December use year

pinklotusflower

Mouseketeer
I'm struggling to understand my December use year, on my dashboard it says I have points available Dec 2020, Dec 2021 Dec 2022 & Dec 2023 when can I use the Dec 2020 & Dec 2021 ones. With being from the UK we couldn't go last year & I've booked for Sept 2021 with banked points, & not wanting to lose points if we can't go again, thanks

I'm struggling to understand my December use year, on my dashboard it says I have points available Dec 2020, Dec 2021 Dec 2022 & Dec 2023 when can I use the Dec 2020 & Dec 2021 ones. With being from the UK we couldn't go last year & I've booked for Sept 2021 with banked points, & not wanting to lose points if we can't go again, thanks
Sept 2021 falls in your Dec 2020 UY. Points used for a Sept 2021 vacation will used 2019 points that were banked into 2020, and and annual allotment of points from 2020 which are needed to complete the reservation.

Think of the UY as your personal year and forget the actual calendar year.

Dec UY goes from Dec 1st until November 30th every year,

So, Dec 2020 UY points are valid until November 30th, 2021. You have until July 31st to bank them and that moves them into your Dec 2021 UY.

Dec 2021 UY points are valid until November 30, 2022, unless banked, and then you have an extra year on those until November 30, 2023

I am also afflicted with the DVC disease known as December Use Year. It’s like fighting a south paw in boxing, it throws off your timing! Haha, anyway. The way I think of it, is instead of using your current points in the current calendar year, you are borrowing from the year you are traveling. For example, my family will be traveling in 2023, so I will be using banked points from 2021, current points from 2022, and borrowing from 2023, for my July 2023 trip. You just have to beat into yourself the mindset that when you travel (unless you travel in December), your “current” points are actually from the PRIOR calendar year.

Man, I think I just complicated things!

Don't worry Bro, I get it ! Both my contracts are Dec. UY and I still get hella' confused especially since we normally go the 1st week of "wait for it"....DECEMBER. I still have to call MS from time to time to Un-confuse me and where my points lie. They get a chuckle out of it initially and try to make me feel better that I'm not the only one with a Dec UY that has these issues/questions. Should start a DEC UY owners thearpy thread

I'm planning that week which may have a little bit of Nov. 29 or 30th mixed in and then it's close to the end of the calendar year but our UY points re-load with 31 days left in the calendar year but I going in the current year and..... yeah....I think the last couple days of Nov. really screw me up crossing my UY and then I'm thinking of the end of the calendar year

I'm planning that week which may have a little bit of Nov. 29 or 30th mixed in and then it's close to the end of the calendar year but our UY points re-load with 31 days left in the calendar year but I going in the current year and..... yeah....I think the last couple days of Nov. really screw me up crossing my UY and then I'm thinking of the end of the calendar year

One thing that may help is not thinking about points loading that day, but simply a start of when the next set can be used for trips. You have all your points from the start.

The tricky part about any trip that crosses a UY is that you have to call MS because you can't book it online.

The easiest thing that helps me with my UYs, especially Dec, is to first figure out the UY of the trip. Once you know that, then you know you can book that trip using banked points from the UY prior to the trip, points from the UY of the trip, and borrow...up to 50% currently...from the UY after the trip to finish the reservation.

So, if a trip falls in your Dec 2022 UY (Dec 1st, 2022 until November 30th, 2023), then you know that when you book, no matter when that is, you can used banked 2021, 2022 and borrow 2023 points to book that trip!

I am also afflicted with the DVC disease known as December Use Year. It’s like fighting a south paw in boxing, it throws off your timing! Haha, anyway. The way I think of it, is instead of using your current points in the current calendar year, you are borrowing from the year you are traveling. For example, my family will be traveling in 2023, so I will be using banked points from 2021, current points from 2022, and borrowing from 2023, for my July 2023 trip. You just have to beat into yourself the mindset that when you travel (unless you travel in December), your “current” points are actually from the PRIOR calendar year.

Man, I think I just complicated things!
That’s a pretty good description to me! When I start explaining it, that’s when it’s clear as mud. Lol

I think I maybe getting the handle on use year. Question, UY and the 11 month booking window at home resort are mutual exclusive, correct? The 11 month reservation window comes into play from date of check in.

I think I maybe getting the handle on use year. Question, UY and the 11 month booking window at home resort are mutual exclusive, correct? The 11 month reservation window comes into play from date of check in.
Yes, 11 months relates only to date of checkin, regardless of the start date of your UY. UY relates to which points can be used for that reservation, no matter when you book it in relation to the start of your UY.

Yes, 11 months relates only to date of checkin, regardless of the start date of your UY. UY relates to which points can be used for that reservation, no matter when you book it in relation to the start of your UY.

Thank you. Seeing you've been a DVC member forever, can I ask you how names on the contract relate to passing it on to your children. Can I add them at a later date?

Thank you. Seeing you've been a DVC member forever, can I ask you how names on the contract relate to passing it on to your children. Can I add them at a later date?
Yes, you can add them later, and the only cost is related to completing and filing the legal papers (you don’t have to pay Disney anything). Here’s a thread about how to do it https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...xisting-contract-gratuitous-transfer.3701707/.
Just keep in mind that it’s real estate and can be considered an asset for college loans, divorce, etc. so adding your kids is not to be done without careful thought.

Yes, you can add them later, and the only cost is related to completing and filing the legal papers (you don’t have to pay Disney anything). Here’s a thread about how to do it https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...xisting-contract-gratuitous-transfer.3701707/.
Just keep in mind that it’s real estate and can be considered an asset for college loans, divorce, etc. so adding your kids is not to be done without careful thought.

Thank you for the quick response. That is what my husband thought, it could be considered an asset.

Think of the UY as your personal year and forget the actual calendar year.

Dec UY goes from Dec 1st until November 30th every year,

So, Dec 2020 UY points are valid until November 30th, 2021. You have until July 31st to bank them and that moves them into your Dec 2021 UY.

Dec 2021 UY points are valid until November 30, 2022, unless banked, and then you have an extra year on those until November 30, 2023
I realize this post was months ago but thanks for posting the clear answer. I have transferred in Dec 2021 UY points for the first time ever and was getting myself very confused. I'm so used to all my easy ugust UYs so I appreciate your explaining it so clearly. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter