Deciding on DDP

BobbyBond2

Earning My Ears
I know there have been changes since the DDP came back, but I want to make sure I understand them correctly so we can figure out if it's worth it for our upcoming August 8-night, 9-day trip. We will be traveling as a group of 6 (everyone is 10 and up). We are DVC members, so there are discount opportunities.

Pricing is $94.28/pp pd
Compared to the Legacy DDP, there is only 1 Snack daily, correct? Can QS points be converted into snacks like before? If all meal/snack points are not used, can they be redeemed for snacks at the end of the trip?

I'm just trying to figure out the math since we have some time before our 60-day ADR window. We would typically have breakfast in our DVC villa, so the QS would be for lunch or dinner, depending on our plans. There used to be a site calculating DDP versus pay-as-you-go, but I don't think it's been updated to reflect the new pricing and structure (https://www.distripplanner.com/).

Thanks in advance!

Yes, only 1 snack per person/per day

No, quick service credits can no longer be converted into 3 snacks. This is an option our family is going to miss for sure!

I have heard you can convert 2 QS credits into one TS meal but I can't find that information on the DDP website. Can anyone who has tried this with the new DDP advise if you were/were not able to do this?

For the DDP, tips are no longer included for TS, so figure that in your calculations. And there is no DVC discount for the DDP (not sure if you meant that), but you would get some meal discounts for DVC if paying yourself.

We just did the calculations for an upcoming trip. We tried to stack the deck in the favor of the DDP, and even then we wouldn't have come out ahead:

- We were doing a split stay, so we would get the DDP for just the first part of the trip, and pack the restaurants that are the best value for the DDP onto that portion.
- Both my wife and I drink alcohol, so we would get that with every meal (with one exception of QS in the Magic Kingdom since there are no alcohol options there).
- We'd use our snack credits on items from the Epcot F&G booths or other good values for Snack Credits (like the Riviera cookie).
- We'd push our QS credits to high-value restaurants (looking at you, Polite Pig!).

Even then (and ignoring the DVC discount, which is a downside of the DDP), the price of the DDP was almost exactly what we'd spend out-of-pocket on those meals + the refillable mugs. We decided not to go with the DPP because, as much as it would be nice to have that stuff paid for, we value the flexibility of OOP more (e.g., getting an appetizer vs a dessert, getting more snacks instead of a QS meal).

It used to be hard to make the DDP a good value, but pre-COVID we were able to do so. Now, it seems far more difficult. The only way we think it would be worth it was if we ate more at character buffets.

We just did the calculations for an upcoming trip. We tried to stack the deck in the favor of the DDP, and even then we wouldn't have come out ahead:

- We were doing a split stay, so we would get the DDP for just the first part of the trip, and pack the restaurants that are the best value for the DDP onto that portion.
- Both my wife and I drink alcohol, so we would get that with every meal (with one exception of QS in the Magic Kingdom since there are no alcohol options there).
- We'd use our snack credits on items from the Epcot F&G booths or other good values for Snack Credits (like the Riviera cookie).
- We'd push our QS credits to high-value restaurants (looking at you, Polite Pig!).

Even then (and ignoring the DVC discount, which is a downside of the DDP), the price of the DDP was almost exactly what we'd spend out-of-pocket on those meals + the refillable mugs. We decided not to go with the DPP because, as much as it would be nice to have that stuff paid for, we value the flexibility of OOP more (e.g., getting an appetizer vs a dessert, getting more snacks instead of a QS meal).

It used to be hard to make the DDP a good value, but pre-COVID we were able to do so. Now, it seems far more difficult. The only way we think it would be worth it was if we ate more at character buffets.
I'm also trying to determine that. Two of our kids are gluten-free, so their food choices will be limited. Out of the 8 days, we'll probably go to the parks 5 maybe 6 days of out them. We could also cook dinner in our villa and save as well.

nothing that Disney offers to the customer makes them lose money. "the house always wins".

Sure, you might beat DDP and actually not lose money, but you really need to eat a lot and order alcoholic drinks.

Watch this video.

The decision of going for DDP is more about convenience and being able to prepay in advance, should not be really a financial decision (very hard to beat them)

I'm also trying to determine that. Two of our kids are gluten-free, so their food choices will be limited. Out of the 8 days, we'll probably go to the parks 5 maybe 6 days of out them. We could also cook dinner in our villa and save as well.
I don't think you are a particularly good candidate for the DDP.

1) Your kids are over 10 and probably too old for a lot of character meals which are expensive and a good use for DDP credits
2) Your kids are too young to drink alcohol which makes the DDP come closer to breaking even
3) You plan on eating multiple meals in your villa
4) You have DVC discounts which is usually 10% at most places

We enjoyed DDP enough in the past to buy it and also stayed during free dining a few times. At the time it worked for us because it was the cost of our expected food budget out of pocket anyway, and by getting the plan we were able to get bonuses like more character buffets and snacks. The bonus was getting more out of the same type of budget.

DDP no longer works for us because there’s not enough bonus to justify the limitations. It’s too hard to work this plan into being cost effective (and I’m not sure I even could for our interests). I’d now only get it for a trip we planned on drinking every meal and doing character dining everyday, and that’s a very rare trip if ever for us.

DDP no longer has the extra snack credits to replace a meal or two at Epcot festival booths. Can’t be used at lounges or not a good use. Entree menus are very repetitive and appetizer menus more interesting, but DDP steers you toward entrees otherwise you’ll not get good use. The most interesting food options of lounges and entrees are outside DDP. When it comes to quick service, the compromise comes down to decent fresh made drink or decent value meal. Finding both together is hard outside Disney Springs. I don’t consider a $12 can of alcohol same as getting a $14 fresh made cocktail.

There are likely certain cases where DDP may still provide good bang for the buck. It used to cover many more though.

The only way we think it’s remotely worth it to us (2 adults) is to do the QS version and for a max of 2 days at the start of a split stay. We usually get a mug when we’re on property for 7+ days so that’s a break even for us. We are able to share a lot of QS meals so we can stretch them out but also supplement with the snack credits.

There is no way we’d be able to get the TS DDP to work. I wouldn’t order what I want, too busy trying to win the game. Also giving up AP/DVC discount really makes it a terrible option for us.

I have DD12 and DS10 who still would rather order a kids meal. Most places let them order the meals without any issues. Paying adult DDP prices makes 0 sense for us. Prior to them turning 10 and removing the extra snack credit I was the queen of the meal plans. RIP free meal plans with deluxe and 2 kids <3

I would love for the DDP to work for us... However, it just doesn't seem cost effective - that and too many restaurants are 2 TS meals, which really dilutes the value.

I'm DVC. I can make the TS DDP numbers work for a split stay at the beginning of a trip. We usually split our DVC stays at a 2-3 nights at resort 1, then around 10-14 nights at resort 2. I would buy it for the 2-3 nights and load it with a Character meal, polite pig, Ohana etc.. We always buy the resort mug and that lasts the full trip as well.

I would love for the DDP to work for us... However, it just doesn't seem cost effective - that and too many restaurants are 2 TS meals, which really dilutes the value.
I saw this too. When I ran the numbers with the restaurants that we prefer to eat I just couldn't get the DDP to work for us. Add in the meal discount for the Disney Visa and it the DDP doesn't even compare.

I saw this too. When I ran the numbers with the restaurants that we prefer to eat I just couldn't get the DDP to work for us. Add in the meal discount for the Disney Visa and it the DDP doesn't even compare.

Same for us. I did the math on what we actually want to eat and would have lost a significant amount of money if I paid for dining plan. I also added in the mugs and even extra drinks that I know we wouldn’t actually want.

I’m a DVC member and annual pass holder. I’ve done every version of the dining plan in the past. I looked at the numbers and decided to add the quick service. I know how much we usually spend OOP and it was approximately the same as the QS but it will allow me to get more expensive options and cocktails.

I couldn’t make the numbers work for the regular DDP. The price of the DDP was equal to paying out of pocket for 3 TS dinners plus the QS DDP.

I used Disney gift cards from target to get a 5% discount to pay for the QS DDP

My dilemma is I have a very frugal husband who won’t relax and purchase an alcoholic drink looking at the price or even prices in general.
21 y/o daughter who wants to try some new drinks , especially at the pool.
Thinking of getting the QS plan and we will probably break pretty close to even. I feel it would make for a more relaxing vacation.
Although I did see someone who just bought a 1000 dollar gift card and used that for the week. 🤷🏼‍♀️
5 night /6 day vacation upcoming in May 2024
Mom/dad/daughter21/daughter 19
Lots of lounging at pool at Stormalong bay and Epcot this trip.
DVC/AP but mainly eating QS this trip

My dilemma is I have a very frugal husband who won’t relax and purchase an alcoholic drink looking at the price or even prices in general.
21 y/o daughter who wants to try some new drinks , especially at the pool.
Thinking of getting the QS plan and we will probably break pretty close to even. I feel it would make for a more relaxing vacation.
Although I did see someone who just bought a 1000 dollar gift card and used that for the week. 🤷🏼‍♀️
5 night /6 day vacation upcoming in May 2024
Mom/dad/daughter21/daughter 19
Lots of lounging at pool at Stormalong bay and Epcot this trip.
DVC/AP but mainly eating QS this trip
I used to defend the dining plan before they included alcohol (and increased the price accordingly). Now, I think it's wholly indefensible if you have anyone in your travel party between 10 and 20. I'm not anti-alcohol, but you MUST drink every alcoholic drink available to you on the DDP or breaking even is nearly impossible.

I doubt any of the currently offered dining plans save you money. I think the main benefit for Disney is you are less likely to eat off-site somewhere if all of your meals are pre-paid to a Disney restaurant. Generally, the main benefit is that you are pre-paying for your meals. Some like to do that, others not. Buying a dining plan isn't really about saving money.

Last edited:
I doubt any of the currently offered dining plans save you money. I think the main benefit for Disney is you are less likely to eat off-site somewhere is all of your meals are pre-paid to a Disney restaurant. Generally, the main benefit is that you are pre-paying for your meals. Some like to do that, others not. Buying a dining plan isn't really about saving money.

I think you are right in saying it is not really about saving money more so in having your vacation feel more "all inclusive" and not have to worry about the price of each individual meal/snack while you are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter