Deep in the Heart of Texas

Disneymom2AA

Mouseketeer
My family and I will be travelling to WDW for the first time. We are coming from the Gulf Coast. I believe we will start from Houston and be taking I-10 to Florida. Has anyone ever travelled this same route? If so how long did it take for you to get there? Was the drive scenic or just the same old highway all the way through?Any help will greatly be appreciated!!!

We make that drive most years (in fact we're going again in Feb or March). Its a hard drive if you try to make it in one day (about 18-20 hrs, depending on your need for breaks and meals). We generally drive 'after work' for 4 or 5 hrs to about Lake Chas or Baton Rouge, and get a motel. Then its up and at 'em the next AM, and arrive in Orlando a bit after dark. Just our system, but its been working so far... Scenic is in the eye of the beholder; there are some sights to see along the coast, but we dont stop much on the way. We live in Houston also; if you want me to call and chat about it, just PM me with a phone number..

enjoy the Magic Kingdom...

DB.

:D

I have made the trip from Houston many times. Usually we stop in Pensacola to spend the night and make it a two day trip. It usually takes us around 17-18 hours total, although I have made it in as little as 14 (straight through stopping only for gas) Pensacola is a nice area to spend a day at the beach if your so inclined (much better than Galveston) and there's a naval base/museum as well.

Have you ever driven from Lewisville? I am in Flower Mound and am going to have to find out about the drive from the Lone Star state this summer. We have found great airfare and flown every time but are going to try driving this summer and stopping at the beach on the way.
I am dreading the drive already.

Flower Mound is in the Metroplex, right? I used to live in a tiny town east of Dallas (Quinlan). We drove from there a few times. You'll want to take I-20 to Shreveport and then take I-49 to I-10. I can't remember exactly how long it took us from there. We usually divided it into 3 days. We have family in New Orleans, so we'd stop there and stay with family. Then we'd drive at least to I-75 in Florida and finish up the drive on the third day. The third day is a short one.

Which beach do you want to stop at? If you left early in the morning, you could get to a beach in Mississippi or Alabama on the first night and then spend some time there the next day.

Yep, Flower Mound is between Dallas and Denton.
I want to leave early 1 day and spend a decent amount of time at a decent beach. I am NOT a water person, but we are taking my DH's 2nd cousin who has never left West Texas before. She definitely has never seen a beach.
I though we could leave Wills Point (East Texas, by Quinlan) early a Sat morning and be to Gulf Shores in enough time to splash around and still get to WDW by end of next day. I would bypass beach altogether if it were me but I thought Gulf Shores would allow the most time at the beach and still be able to get to WDW next day.
Sound like that should work?

I've never driven from Lewisville. I've lived in the metroplex about 5 years now and have flown every time. I would think you can make the trip in two days from here, but they would be pretty long days. Of all the beaches I would say Pensacola would be one of the best to hit, but that would make for an awful long drive your first day.

I think that that's do-able if you're willing to make them long days. I'd leave before before sunrise the first day. It should take about 7 hrs (maybe a bit longer) to get to New Orleans, and then Gulf Shores is probably about another 3 hours. Gulf Port would be a bit closer if you want to save time. Neither is exactly a great vacation beach town, but if you just want to show her what the ocean looks like and let her play in the water, either would be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter