• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Defunding schools

There are sooo many cuts here in MA. I was wondering what other states looked like or if people were organizing rallies for their kids teachers.

I have never heard of layoffs at schools in our province. HUGE, strong union. Of course multiple other cuts. They just cut some management positions at the school board level and the schools are always told to tighten their belts. Maybe some EAs or admins lost?
Has the enrollment gone down drastically in your area that they are laying off teachers?

And are they being fired or laid off? There is a difference.
Fired = incompetent, poor job performance, etc
Laid off = lack of work or lack of money to pay them

The majority of the teachers who will be laid off will be under what's called reduction of force, or RIF for short. Some will be because of poor performance, but most it will be because of the elimination of the positions.

In my state the teacher who have less than 4 years of experience will be laid off first. They do not have to be given a reason at all as they are all called "probationary" teachers. On the first day of the fourth year, you are called "non-probationary" and the admin has to show documentation that you are not doing your job. However, with a RIF it doesn't matter how many years you have. If I wouldn't have retired and they decided to eliminate my position because of funding, I would have been RIFed despite more than 30 years in the classroom.

The majority of the teachers who will be laid off will be under what's called reduction of force, or RIF for short. Some will be because of poor performance, but most it will be because of the elimination of the positions.

In my state the teacher who have less than 4 years of experience will be laid off first. They do not have to be given a reason at all as they are all called "probationary" teachers. On the first day of the fourth year, you are called "non-probationary" and the admin has to show documentation that you are not doing your job. However, with a RIF it doesn't matter how many years you have. If I wouldn't have retired and they decided to eliminate my position because of funding, I would have been RIFed despite more than 30 years in the classroom.

Is there an union?

Carter did not defund education. He was instrumental in creating the DOE and funding the department. Reagan began cutting funding almost immediately once he was in office.
.....and by doing so, ( DOE) during the austerity of Carter, started the concept that citizens no longer had the right to fund their school district but a larger, inept bureaucracy would take care of education. For sure didn't generate the head of steam in the 70s but slowly state governments in the 90s took over funding, but teacher hiring was at all time low in 1979/1980...superintendents didn't know what the budgets could cover in terms of teacher hiring. By 1984 there were more teaching positions created then the last 8 years prior to 1984. What Reagan did with education is cut away entitlement programs in education, ....lunches, construction and library funding, and other peripherals of education.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter