Demystifying the AP for discounts

NYEmomma

DIS Veteran
I'm struggling, guys.

We're WDW people planning our first UO trip since the 1990s and I feel like I've got NO clue what I'm doing. We're a family of 2 adults, 3 kids (13, 9 & 9), staying for 3 nights and 2 park days (not park-to-park) the first week of June. Even though only 2/5 of us are thrill riders, I'm assuming we'll all need Express Passes since it's June and I'm incredibly intimidated by non-off season crowds. I feel like I've priced out a myriad of options and have come up with staying at Endless Summer for the 3 nights and getting a throwaway room for the 2nd night to get the Express Passes is the most cost effective option.

It seems like people are able to snag some pretty fiscally responsible deals with an AP but I, personally, can't seem to figure it out myself. There's so many different AP options... do I need a specific one to reap the rewards of resort & food discounts? It looks as if our dates aren't blacked out at all, so the most inexpensive AP would be $349. If I were to go this route, how do I found out what the discount on the rooms would be? Is it a guaranteed percentage or completely up in the air? Are there any other perks besides the room and dining to having one person in our party with an AP?

If you want food and merchandise discounts, then you need a Preferred AP or a Premier AP. Preferred is $449.99 and will give you 10% food and merchandise discount. Premier is $664.99 and will give you 15% off food and merchandise. (Assuming you are not a Florida resident and this is for the 2park pass)

The AP rate is usually a set percentage off the rack rate. The rack rate is highly variable though. They make the AP rate available based on their need for more bookings, so there is no guarantee it will be available for specific dates or room types.

You can check & book AP rates before purchasing the AP. And it is the same rate regardless of AP type.

Depending on how much you'll spend, the discounts for the Preferred may be worthwhile - I would suspect not for 3 days, but if you're considering a second trip with the AP it is more likely to save some money. Or if you plan more souvenirs (wands add up quickly) - merchandise also has a 10% discount w/ Preferred.

Here's my honest opinion.

First and foremost, an AP is a park ticket. If you're only going to the parks for 2 days, I would skip purchasing an AP. I took several trips to Universal and bought tix online, usually some special buy two days, get two free or whatever.

I purchased AP's (seasonal) once I knew I was planning on more than one trip a year. That's how I justify the cost. I made sure to avoid going during blockout dates.

At some point later, I converted my seasonal pass to a preferred pass to get the food and merch 10% discount, as we enjoyed the dining and shopping there.

I let my passes lapse during Covid, and just bought 2 new seasonal passes today. But I have 2 trips planned this year. If I was only doing a short stay, I wouldn't have bothered.

As far as the AP hotel discount, it seems since the post-vaccine travel boom that Universal hasn't been hurting for business, especially with all the folks coming over from Disney now. AP hotel discounts do not seem to be a given, as in years past. There are people right now still waiting on discounts for February and Universal is telling them to keep checking every day. Universal properties still seem to be booked solid, thus Universal has no incentive to offer a room discount. Yes, you may snag something very close to your dates because of cancellations, but you have to be fast and June is a busy time of year anyways.

The easiest thing is to book a room/rooms as early as you can, based on how much your budget can handle, then watch for AP rates for your hotels/dates. If you see a rate come up, book it. You don't need an AP in hand to book the rate. You can buy one when you arrive. You only need one person with an AP per room, you don't need them for everyone, although if you start planning more Universal vacations, you can get AP's for the rest of your group gradually.

Does the AP give discounts on Volcano bay tickets? I'm just planning to get one AP for the discounts for our 3 day trip

I would go ahead and get the seasonal pass for one person. The room discount will pay the difference alone. If you do decide to go more than once, you can buy 4 seasonal passes and one preferred pass if you deem that increased cost for the food and merchandise discounts will save you more than the difference.

I recommend buying tickets from a ticket provider and then upgrading to annual passes after using them the first day at the park or at your hotel. Your second trip would end up being very cost effective after that.

Universal has more or less admitted in the past couple days that there won’t be AP hotel discounts for awhile. Seems it was officially released to travel agents but not the public. Guests at endless Summer and Cabana Bay have been reporting recently that food discounts are no longer being given despite it still listed as an official AP perk. The monthly button and quarterly magnet have also been discontinued starting this month.

Perks are always subject to change so just be aware that many are disappearing right now.

Perks are always subject to change so just be aware that many are disappearing right now

say it ain’t so……waaaaaa 😢
My first day in the parks will be 2/1. I thought for sure I would get a pin being the first of the month. So sad.

This stinks if the rumors about APH rates are true. Was planning a Wed after Mardi Gras day to Sunday. No way I'm paying rack rates. Could always stay off site but was kinda wanting to bar crawl a couple of onsite hotels.

AP rates are out, and it’s definitely worth getting an AP for the AP rates. They are amazing when available and you can book them before you get your AP! We upgraded to AP at the park. It was about the same price as our tickets so definitely worth it!

I have been waiting for the AP rates for months for March! However, I only needed 1 night at a Premium resort because we are only going to Universal 2 days in the middle of our Disney trip(thanks to poor planning with my daughter's school trip). I was really hoping for a good rate at Royal Pacific, as that is usually the one that we can "almost" afford with an AP rate, lol. This time RPR doesn't have a passholder rate for a standard room the one night we need. Only a 1 bedroom for $967. Yikes! There are only 2 of us and we are at the parks both days, so we don't need all that. I am so disappointed! HRH was $414, but still out of my price range for just 1 night for 2 people. If the rate wasnt' available from the get go when they released yesterday, is it possible they would add it for standard rooms later? This is for 3/13 so we still have a little time, but I need to have a plan so just curious. I don't think we will change hotels from Disney to Universal if we can't get a deluxe to get hte Express passes. What are the chances they add more? Thanks!

I just (yesterday) booked Portofino for 2 nights in February with an AP rate. I was going to book the rack rate and just buy us each 3 day tickets, but the savings off two nights with the AP rate was $675. That definitely made for a savings to get me an annual pass. Now the question I have is the ticket for my son. It says I cannot buy a ticket with an AP ticket discount until I pick up the pass at the date. It seems like the gate ticket cost minus the discount is still cheaper than online. I was looking both at the Universal site and Undercover Tourist.
But will the rate at the gate for a 3 day ticket go up between now and February 22?

Universal has more or less admitted in the past couple days that there won’t be AP hotel discounts for awhile. Seems it was officially released to travel agents but not the public. Guests at endless Summer and Cabana Bay have been reporting recently that food discounts are no longer being given despite it still listed as an official AP perk. The monthly button and quarterly magnet have also been discontinued starting this month.

Perks are always subject to change so just be aware that many are disappearing right now.
This was an incorrect rumor. subsequent rates have since come out.

there are sticky’d threads here where you can post any new rate Info & watch for new information as to rates others have found.

This was an incorrect rumor. subsequent rates have since come out.

there are sticky’d threads here where you can post any new rate Info & watch for new information as to rates others have found.

For some reason the APH sticky thread is locked right now. It hasn't been updated in a few weeks.

Just a reminder from a great team mate 2 days ago…
Update your info online to request these offers . She said it always surprised her that guests have not agreed to receive the online updates.
I just agreed to let her update my email and finally getting texts again…

Hope that helps…but I will add , I think Universals site is really confusing and do not like to search for anything . Does anybody else feel this way. ?

One more thing…this discussion leaves me with an awful feeling since a new President is taking over Universal Studios.

Is DVC our only hope for future discounts ? Ouch. !

One more thing…this discussion leaves me with an awful feeling since a new President is taking over Universal Studios.

Is DVC our only hope for future discounts ? Ouch. !

Most of the hotels are owned or operated by Loews. I don't think that the management of Universal has much to do with hotel prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter