Depressed Disney Trip

I'm sorry you are going through this. My situation was rather unusual with my first husband and Disney because I actually met him while he was working as a cultural rep at the Moroccan Pavillion at EPCOT. We ended up divorced just shy of 5 years after getting married.

Fast forward to my nephew's approaching 6th birthday and his mom is freaking out about the promise she made when he was struggling to live while in the NICU (he was 3 months premature) that she would take him to Disney when he's five if he lived. Except she hats all things Disney and of course she procrastinated on fulfilling this promise.

I stepped in and although this was not long after my divorce, I took him to Disney. It brought back a lot of memories of time with my ex, but I made new, wonderful memories with my nephew. And being a little wise guy that he is, my nephew commented as we walked by the Moroccan Pavillion that I would find someone better.

*Hugs* I’ve always liked the saying “the best revenge is living well.” It might sound negative but I find the opposite. It turns the energy positive and back on ourself. Go to WDW. Focus on you and making your life the best.

After a time of reminiscing and self pity I decided to do something and, in my case I went to the Carousel of Progress. Now for the sake of background, I went with family to CoP when the theme was "Now is the best time of your life" and at the time it was. This time the theme was back to "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow". Something connected in my mind and made the decision to stop looking at the world so negatively and do something to reassert myself into life.

🥹 I love this. That was definitely a sign!

I'm very sorry you are going through this. A friend of mine that went through this said the forums at survivinginfidelity.com really helped her (especially since at the time her close friends couldn't relate).

Also, I'm assuming since it's so recent no legal separation yet? If not, everything is still halfers - including debt. So go rack up a great time on him!! I kid... kinda.

I hope you are able to go and find some happiness on your trip, and who knows, maybe meet a new friend or two. ((Hugs))

I am so sorry what you are going through. That is rough.

Like TCRAIG I lost my DH suddenly 2 years ago. I just took a solo trip to Disney last month. It was bittersweet but I found that I could go on some rides, people watch with a mickey bar or other snack, visit the shops. I did find being in the room myself to be tough but I just made it work and did not spend much time there. Make new memories for you. Have some chill out time for yourself and relax a bit. I found that being away from reality for a while helped to clear my mind. I tried to look at it as a kind of therapy for me. Glad that a therapist is on your list. Take care.

He's taken enough from you, he doesn't get to take this too. Drop the spreadsheet and instead buy G+ and any ILL that catches your fancy. Stay busy, see all the shows, squeeze in a parade, maybe treat yourself to a nighttime show package! And cry when you want to, there is no rule against it :grouphug:

When one is struggling with depression and events that trigger them persist over and over in one’s mind, a change of environment can sometimes help you get some escape. When you keep your mind busy with other things, does it help? So perhaps doing some dining where there is entertainment going on, like the German restaurant at Epcot, or the Hoop Dee Doo music show. Action rides, if you like them, the excitement may be a welcome feeling compared to the numbness. Are you someone who can lose themselves watching a show? Shows can sometimes also be a fun place to have conversations with people from all over, while you are waiting for it to be in of course. How about a fireworks cruise where you have some time to meet and talk to others?

Hang in there. Life can be rough. Find a good counselor. You have a right to get your happiness back. It’s worth working for. Good luck

Hi all. I’m overwhelmed by all the support and love you’ve all thrown at me. I want to respond individually to a bunch of the advice but until I do so, please accept all my thanks.

I’m in Orlando now, in a taxi on my way to the hotel. For the first time I ever, I have no trip plan beyond a park reservation for the Magic Kingdom tomorrow. I plan to set no alarm and just see what happens.

I think this may also be the trip that gets a trip report for all of my kindred spirits. And for me.

Oh, and I upgraded my flights to first class on my husband’s credit card. Which also just might be the magic band privileges card on file with the resort.

Hi all. I’m overwhelmed by all the support and love you’ve all thrown at me. I want to respond individually to a bunch of the advice but until I do so, please accept all my thanks.

I’m in Orlando now, in a taxi on my way to the hotel. For the first time I ever, I have no trip plan beyond a park reservation for the Magic Kingdom tomorrow. I plan to set no alarm and just see what happens.

I think this may also be the trip that gets a trip report for all of my kindred spirits. And for me.

Oh, and I upgraded my flights to first class on my husband’s credit card. Which also just might be the magic band privileges card on file with the resort.
Good for you! Have a great time and please report back on what a great time you are having. You deserve it!!

Probably not right to ring up your husbands card card. Why do that.

Sorry you are going through this! Does the conference offer any socializing opportunities? Might be nice to check something like that out. To keep yourself busy.

Anything you never did before you may have time for now? Behind the scenes tours are great and you meet some interesting people...and they pretty much require the admission tickets you already have. Crafts at the hotel maybe? Sangria university at coronado springs? Spa time at GF? Splurge on a dessert party?

Any resturants you never ate at before? Now sounds like a good time to check them out.

I am so sorry, I cannot even imagine. I would go to Disney and you will find your new magic and make new memories that you can treasure to begin the new journey ahead -

Ugh. Where to even begin. I’m scheduled to fly to Orlando on Friday for a few solo days at the parks and then a week long conference at the Swan/Dolphin. Normally no big deal on the solo trip. I wind up in Orlando for work a few times a year and try to fit in Disney whenever possible. My husband has always joined me when he can.

The twist. My husband told me a week ago that he “unexpectedly reunited” with his high school girlfriend (we are in our 50s) and they are “madly in love.” I clearly have all sorts of feelings about this but this post isn’t really about that. It’s about my trip.

I’m depressed and heartbroken and blindsided by all of this. I can’t sleep but also struggle to get out of bed. I don’t eat. I rarely make it through more than a few hours without crying. I’m still working from home and have managed to keep things relatively together on the work front. I have no choice but to go to this conference and I will suck it up and figure out how to stop the waterworks.

But I have no idea what to do about Disney. It’s paid for and I’m past the refund period. But I have no desire to go and to see things that I’ve seen with him. I’m normally a planner extraordinaire and a rope drop commando. I can’t even look at my spreadsheet. Frankly, I could use the change of scenery and I wish that I wanted to go. Disney is my happy place and I know I’ll find my way back there. But I don’t even physically know how to do right now.

I don’t know what I’m looking for. Advice on how to approach the parks when you are overwhelmed and depressed and tired and tearful maybe. Suggestions from anyone who’s been in a similar spot. Maybe someone to just tell me to throw away the money and let it go.

I'm so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going though. As far as your trip, I would 100% go and do my very best to enjoy it. Let go of expectations - it's okay if it's not a perfect trip, or even if it looks A LOT different than any other Disney trip you've taken. Maybe that's even a good thing. Explore things you haven't done before, eat things you haven't eaten before, and just generally take back your happy place. Do it YOUR way, make it all about YOU. Indulge yourself. Treat yourself. Get a massage at the GF Spa. If WDW is your happy place, let it soothe you. He doesn't get the power to ruin this for you.

I’m back (well, I’ve been back for a week now) and am finally settled enough to begin collecting my thoughts about this trip.
There were some deep lows - I’m fairly certain a cast member has never had to bring tissues and a bottle of water to a guest crying her way through four consecutive shows in the Tiki Room. And there were some incredible highs - dinner at Takumi Tei restored both my appetite and my belief in humanity while the Journey of Water made me feel pure and unadulterated joy and delight.

It was a trip of memories, both old and new. And I have in fact started a trip report, which will take me some time and emotional energy, both of which are in short supply, to complete but that I want to post because this thread made me realize how very not alone I am in visiting a very happy place is a very unhappy state.

In the meantime, thank you all again for advice, for encouraging me to go and find my own path, and for all of the general encouragement. I have a long, rough journey ahead and you all made it a little easier.

I’m back (well, I’ve been back for a week now) and am finally settled enough to begin collecting my thoughts about this trip.
There were some deep lows - I’m fairly certain a cast member has never had to bring tissues and a bottle of water to a guest crying her way through four consecutive shows in the Tiki Room. And there were some incredible highs - dinner at Takumi Tei restored both my appetite and my belief in humanity while the Journey of Water made me feel pure and unadulterated joy and delight.

It was a trip of memories, both old and new. And I have in fact started a trip report, which will take me some time and emotional energy, both of which are in short supply, to complete but that I want to post because this thread made me realize how very not alone I am in visiting a very happy place is a very unhappy state.

In the meantime, thank you all again for advice, for encouraging me to go and find my own path, and for all of the general encouragement. I have a long, rough journey ahead and you all made it a little easier.

I have been thinking about you and looking for an update! I’m so glad to hear you made some beautiful new memories. ❤️ Restoring your faith in humanity, feeling pure joy and delight—isn’t that what Disney does best? You are a strong person and I know you will keep finding your way forward on this new path full of beauty. Can’t wait to read your trip report!

Not Disney but 20 years ago I was on a trip with my boyfriend when we broke up at the beginning. I was supposed to be on this trip for two months. My return ticket wasn’t changeable so I felt stuck. I did stick it out and it was scary and hard but looking back I am so glad I did it.

I would go and even if you don’t feel like doing anything, just go and be there. Better to be depressed at Disney than depressed at home I think and I think there is a good chance that you will be able to find some joy.

Not Disney but 20 years ago I was on a trip with my boyfriend when we broke up at the beginning. I was supposed to be on this trip for two months. My return ticket wasn’t changeable so I felt stuck. I did stick it out and it was scary and hard but looking back I am so glad I did it.

I would go and even if you don’t feel like doing anything, just go and be there. Better to be depressed at Disney than depressed at home I think and I think there is a good chance that you will be able to find some joy.
Curious question! Did he remain on the trip or did he just go home? It's incredible if you could have dealt with him present for the entire two months. If you continued on your own, congrats, that is the way to deal with it.

Curious question! Did he remain on the trip or did he just go home? It's incredible if you could have dealt with him present for the entire two months. If you continued on your own, congrats, that is the way to deal with it.
No he didn’t remain on the trip and it was never the plan for him to travel with me the whole time. We were supposed to travel together for the first but and then he was going back to work and I was going to carry on with my long dreamed of Europe backpacking trip.

The breakup also snapped the last thread of my mental health after a really difficult year that had included a cancer scare and surgery alongside the usual stress of being a college student. It was a tough time and I am to this day proud of myself for having done it and I still use it as an example to myself that I can do hard things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter