• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Describe your WORST travel companion.

In Sept of 08 my fiance and I brought our friend and her boyfriend to Disney for a week, we stayed at the Value Suites which worked out nicely. However each day the boyfriend only cared about getting fastpasses over and over again,he demanded Disney upgrade him to Park Hopper because Rock N Roller coaster went down, he constantly mentioned how Universal was more fun, and refused to move before 11am. I never saw him smile, besides the night we spent at Adventurer's Club. He knows that I am a big fan so whenever he was bored he would look up facts on his blackberry and test my disney knowledge which was fun for about 5 minutes but aggravating VERY fast. I vowed half way through the week to NEVER travel to Disney with anyone besides my fiance again. Last summer she and her friends made plans to run the Princess Half Marathon in March, guess who weasled their way in again. Luckily they are staying at POFQ so we won't be with them 24/7, but the only thing he really enjoyed closed two years ago....

Make me feel better and share your horror stories.

:rotfl:

Your story kind of sounds like our worst travel companion. 10 years ago my DH and I thought it would be fun to go a vacation with our dear friends (DH's best friend who was his best man at our wedding and his girlfriend which he was planning on proposing while in Florida). Well, the girlfriend is usually nice, but I think that her "friend" had come that week because she was....well not so nice (since this is a family forum, I won't say what I really wanted to say). The first full day that we were there, we decided to go to US/IOA and about 4 hours into the day, she decided that she was too hot and tired and demanded that we all go back to the condo because she was DONE. Since the van that we all rode down in was her parent's, she thought she was in charge of the whole trip. DH and I wanted to stay (since we paid for the full day ticket anyway), but ended up going back because she said that if we didn't go with them now, then we would have had to of found another ride because she was NOT coming back for us. Being the stupid young couple that we were, we agreed to leave the park. Each day after that she would complain that she was too tired, or that it was too hot, and would have a frown on her face the whole time.

Well, DH's best friend decided to propose to her (after DH and I kept asking if he was sure she was "The One") and while he was proposing she at first said no, but with some persuasion by our friend, she said yes :sad2:. It wasn't until after she got her ring did she lighten up and started being the nice person that we once knew.....Oh yeah, this couple that I just explained to you about, well they have been divorced for 5 years....go figure.

Twice (why the 2nd time, I have no idea) my sister and I paid for and took my mom on trips with our 3 kids. The thought was that she could spend time with the kids (preschoolers at that point) while we did some of the bigger rides. Most of the time would be spent together, but the idea was that she'd pitch in so we could do some grown up stuff.

We knew our mother was insane and difficult before the trips...CERTAINLY before the 2nd trip...but WDW is like labor. You forget about all the pain when you get ready to do it again. Anyway, she refused to wear sensible shoes and wore nonsense with no support. Therefore, she walked so so so slowly. She wanted to stop at every bench. (she was not "elderly" by any stretch at this point) She is also a smoker and literally stopped at every smoking area every time we were within a half mile of one. We'd be walking along to wherever and she'd announce "I'm going to take so and so over there for a bit" (NEVER would say she was going to smoke). Of course, so and so would have preferred to come with us to whatever attraction we were going to.

She is afraid of everyone and everything. She would never in a million years ask for a sauce to be served on the side or anything like that. So, instead she'd be miserable through every possible instance. And, she'd try and find reasons to get back to the hotel starting early in the day.

I wouldn't have minded sending her off to alternate between lounging by the pool and visiting the smoking areas so much if we hadn't really intended for her to help somewhat with the kids.

Never again. Never again. MrsDisneyFan, are you out there??? NEVER again. (MrsDisneyFan is my sis)

NYC with her was worse. I love her and would do anything for her but I will NEVER go on a trip with her again.

Mine was my mom's boyfriend's daughter. She was 12 at the time and we would all be ready to leave but we'd have to wait for her to put on her shoes...which would take a full five minutes. On the first day she spent all of her money so that her dad (and occasionally me) would buy her things. She refused to sleep in the same bed as her dad, so she slept on the floor and claimed there was a mouse in our room...

We had a 24 hour drive down and she made eating impossible. We would stop at McDonald's and she would insist that she didn't like McDonalds and that we had to go to Burger King. So, the next time we stopped at Burger King and she said that she hated Burger King and wanted McDonalds!

It was so ridiculous, my mom and her boyfriend weren't speaking when we got home. And yes, they're still together, but we don't do vacations anymore.

As much as I hate to say it...DBF! :laughing: He walks so leisurely and takes his time with EVERYTHING and I'm the exact opposite. I make a plan and I try to get from point A to point B as quick as possible and he gets mad because I'm "rushing".

I've been to WDW over 100 times in my life, so I know it like the back of my hand. I get there, I know what I want to see and do, and I want to do it right away, then have time later in the day to relax...and then DO IT AGAIN!

There's nothing I hate more than a "let's walk so and look around like there are no rides to get on and no important things to see" type of companion! grrr :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter