Destination-D, WDW May 12-17 OKW/BLT – Final Trip Wrap Up

Day Four, Part 3

And now on to the new Mickey Mouse Meet and Greet attraction.

IMG_3134.jpg

This is the area

IMG_3135.jpg

Here are some posters on the wall. Here’s a nod to Oswald and notice that he is billed as the “disappearing” Rabbit.

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

The magician’s hat is in the scene and we all know that magicians like to pull rabbits out of their hats. And what do rabbits eat? Carrots of course, and note the brand name of these “magical carrots”

IMG_3138.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

On the hat box, you will find this label, the small print reads, “Hats for all Occasions…Birthdays, Unbirthdays and all days between." A little shout out to the Mad Hatter!

IMG_3141.jpg

You certainly would not want to embark on a voyage without a dependable storage container from Colonel Hathi’s Trunk Co.!

IMG_3142.jpg

I imagine that this in just found on a box of feathers.

IMG_3143.jpg

This bag of bird food was one of my favorites!

IMG_3144.jpg

These last few sort of speak for themselves (well they will have to because other than the obvious references, I don’t remember what else there was!

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

This is an enlargement of the image in the corner. Notice the shout out to all the parks.

IMG_3149.jpg

This slide was a drawing that one of the imagineers did when he was about 5 or 7 years old, the third gentleman, not pictured here.

IMG_3150.jpg

And Finally the Disney Family Crest on the Castle

IMG_3151.jpg

You covered Day 4, Part 3 really well - I can't add anything to it! Actually, when they were showing the Monsters Inc. vending machine, they said they were working with the Monsters Inc. directors at Pixar the day before the merger was announced. The Imagineers said something like "So, do you think we'll ever merge?" or something to that effect. The Pixar artists just said something like "Well, um, maybe, um..." - they knew about the merger, but couldn't tell anyone!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have from the second presentation that morning.

Robert

I was there at the same time, but did not do the D23 stuff amd am SO HAPPY you did!! Thank-you very, very much for all the details- I am finding it fascinating- you do such a fantastic and well detailed job of bringing it all to us-:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Somewhere in Time! Really great movie..all should give it a watch.

We'll have to put it in the wish list on the TIVO!

Amazing details! I can't wait to read more!

That's why Disney is just so cool, they take their jobs very seriously. :)

Details, schmetails! Now I understand why we ALL have such a fabulous time at Disney parks. The amount of planning and attention to detail is just incredible!

Exactly! :thumbsup2

I love the signs for the new meet and greet :lmao: Those are awesome :)

I know aren't they totally creative?

You covered Day 4, Part 3 really well - I can't add anything to it! Actually, when they were showing the Monsters Inc. vending machine, they said they were working with the Monsters Inc. directors at Pixar the day before the merger was announced. The Imagineers said something like "So, do you think we'll ever merge?" or something to that effect. The Pixar artists just said something like "Well, um, maybe, um..." - they knew about the merger, but couldn't tell anyone!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you have from the second presentation that morning.

Robert

I forgot to add that. I also forgot to add another snippet they told, but I have a great place to work that in for the day after the event ended.

Terrific update and over view of the event. :thumbsup2

Thanks! :)

I was there at the same time, but did not do the D23 stuff amd am SO HAPPY you did!! Thank-you very, very much for all the details- I am finding it fascinating- you do such a fantastic and well detailed job of bringing it all to us-:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Thank you very much! We didn't plan on being there until a few months ago, but I'm really glad I did, so much great information!

Okay loving this TR, I remember actually seeing goofy water skiing, Discovery Island, River Country, Canoes at Magic Kingdom and so much more!!! Thank you!

Late joining, but so glad I did. The one thing I can tell you is that 2-headed creature pictured at Epcot is from the Captain EO movie. The only reason I remember that is I saw the show back in December!
I think Roy Disney is in the picture with that thing :)

Kelly in NC:)

That's actually Frank Wells in the Captain EO picture. He was president of the Disney Company from 1984 until he died in a helicopter accident in 1994.

Robert

You do great trip reports..such patience loading all these pictures!! Really enjoying it :)

Ditto! Allison, Love your info that you always share!

Thoroughly enjoying your pictures of the retired attractions. I will admit, it makes me pause and wonder... what won't be around in another 25-30 years that we all know and love today?! And on a completely different subject - did you guys happen to see the space shuttle in the sky today? It was originally supposed to launch when we were there a few weeks ago and I am curious as to what we missed? OK, now back to your trip report. This is great! popcorn::

I was wondering what also will be different in the future. My 1st trip to DW was Sprigbreak 1995 and it was really just 2 days split between 3 parks so we probably only hit the really big attractions, now I'm wondering what was there then that's not there now. This TR has made me interested to look at some of that history and look into D23 and Destination-D events.

Awesome detailed report Alison!

Okay loving this TR, I remember actually seeing goofy water skiing, Discovery Island, River Country, Canoes at Magic Kingdom and so much more!!! Thank you!

It's so funny to see all those things like they were yesterday and then realize it's really been decades!

Late joining, but so glad I did. The one thing I can tell you is that 2-headed creature pictured at Epcot is from the Captain EO movie. The only reason I remember that is I saw the show back in December!
I think Roy Disney is in the picture with that thing :)

Kelly in NC:)

Thanks for clearing that up. I never saw Captain EO so that's why I didn't know.

Just found this thread - subbing to read. Thanks.

Welcome! I've still got quite a few more pictures and interesting updates, so you're not too late! :thumbsup2

That's actually Frank Wells in the Captain EO picture. He was president of the Disney Company from 1984 until he died in a helicopter accident in 1994.

Robert

Thanks Robert! Between all of us we'll get all the facts!

I stand corrected :) Had no idea. LOL... just knew the two-headed thing :) Thanks!!!!

;)

Ditto! Allison, Love your info that you always share!

I was wondering what also will be different in the future. My 1st trip to DW was Sprigbreak 1995 and it was really just 2 days split between 3 parks so we probably only hit the really big attractions, now I'm wondering what was there then that's not there now. This TR has made me interested to look at some of that history and look into D23 and Destination-D events.

Thanks! I'm glad everyone is enjoying the photos! It is interesting to think what attractions we love today that won't be around in 20 years.

A quick question - how often does D23 host these types of information sharing events? Is this an annual conference you attended? I have commented a few times on this thread, but can I just say again that you are doing an amazing job sharing all that you experienced! :thumbsup2

A quick question - how often does D23 host these types of information sharing events? Is this an annual conference you attended? I have commented a few times on this thread, but can I just say again that you are doing an amazing job sharing all that you experienced! :thumbsup2

There is no regularity to when the D23 events occur. They said that the Destination-D events would occur in the off years of the Expo, but there is an Expo this year, so it's pretty random. I think any time that they feel that they can get fans to come out they will have an event.

Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying this report!

OK, so I have not kept this up like as I wanted to, you know how once you get home life gets in the way! :lmao:

The next session is in three parts and I'm still working on the second one, however I thought it would be appropriate to post the first part as one of the reasons you are not getting much of an update today is that I am going to Disneyland for a Star Tours Preview!

Now, I'm getting ahead of myself becuase I did get to ride it at DHS the day after Destination-D, but that was only once and as you will see in this update I have a whole lot more times to go!

So the first part of the 2nd session on the 2nd day!

Day Four, Part 4

This next session was all about upcoming projects at WDW, I’m not sure if it actually fit the description they had online, but this was one of my favorites of the whole show.

Star Tours

The first thing that they got into was the new Star Tours ride. I had heard online that they were running a soft opening, so on our next free day, we planned to hit the studios.

IMG_3153.jpg

This ride takes place in the span of time in between the first three movies in the story and the second three movies. While I like Star Wars, I’m not sure if we ever actually finished watching the most recent movie because I don’t seem to know all that I should about Darth Vadar and his move to the darkside.

Once you enter the building you see your new transport, the starspeeder 1000. It has a new color palette from the old vehicle. When you are in the queue, the status board will have commercials.

IMG_3154.jpg

Also notice that it has no guns, because we are not at war in the current time period. Also notice that it is new and has no damage.

IMG_3155.jpg

Our friends C3PO and R2D2 are still here, but there are some new characters as well. Aly San San (whose voice strikingly resembles that of the earthling who does the radio spots for Kaiser Permanente) and Ace-38 your pilot.

IMG_3157.jpg

As you move through the queue, you’ll pass G29Twho is a somewhat defective customs droid, he is far more interested in talking with the passers by that noticing what he is scanning and misses some rather blatant customs violations. In my notes it also says that there will be REX24 plus a defective REX.

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

I have something in my notes about a section of unclaimed luggage, and then yet another station you’ll pass by where G24T scans humans for viruses and other beings which may be inhabiting them. In the Loading area, you get to watch your vehicle being prepped. One thing about the Pre-show, don't discount it as just a pre-show...you never know really at which point the story and your ride begin!

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

With the Digital High Definition 3-D, you will be immersed in over 54 possible scenarios. It would take six hours of continuous riding to see all the stories. Our hosts did not recommend that! Here is a view from one of those scenarios.

IMG_3164.jpg

Nice job with the Star Tours presentation! I'm not familiar with it so I can't add anything. But, I was staying at Pop Century during the Destination D weekend so I was able to see the Art of Animation construction right across the lake. I'm eager to see the pictures from that part of the presentation (and Fantasyland too!).

Robert

We interrupt your trip report for a Star Tours Preview!

Yesterday I had the good fortune to be able to ride Star Tours at Disneyland during a special preview event. We used the HA entrance in Florida and though you could still enjoy the aspects of the queue, it wasn’t quite the same as going through the line. I’m not sure how they will handle HA access at DL, I walked on via the regular line this time.

When I rode the ride in WDW, they weren’t allowing any pictures once you entered the building. I guess since Star Tours is open at WDW now, the CMs didn’t care if you took pictures or not. Everyone was snapping away! Mostly what I got was pictures of the queue since you can’t take pictures on the ride and it was in 3D so the pictures wouldn’t have come out anyways.

There was hardly anyone in line for the preview!

DSCN1437.jpg

DSCN1443.jpg

DSCN1435.jpg

DSCN1436.jpg

DSCN1438.jpg

These are some shots of the screen with the flight information and other commercials that play while you wait in line. Sorry about the blurriness, they were live action footage.

DSCN1444.jpg

DSCN1447.jpg

This is the droid scanning the luggage

DSCN1439.jpg

The abandoned luggage

DSCN1440.jpg

And the defective Rex they mentioned

DSCN1451.jpg

DSCN1453.jpg

DSCN1454.jpg

DSCN1455.jpg

DSCN1456.jpg

DSCN1457.jpg

The queue area here at the boarding platform is much larger at WDW making me think that the ride vehicle capacity is also much larger too.

DSCN1460.jpg

That’s it for the pictures in the ride, I won’t spoil it for anyone, but I have been on seven rides now. No two were exactly the same, but after you have been on the ride at least four times, you will “figure it out”. Don’t despair if your second ride is very similar to your first ride, mine was and I was discouraged at first, but it is truly a very cool new ride. I’ll leave you with some other shots from the park and some pictures of the Little Mermaid Exterior and outside queue.

DSCN1463.jpg

DSCN1465.jpg

DSCN1468.jpg

DSCN1472.jpg

DSCN1473.jpg

DSCN1476.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1478.jpg

DSCN1479.jpg

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Looking so forward to my next trip..Star Tour, Mermaid, the Expo and hopefully several drinks at the new bar at DLH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter