DHS/Toy Story Land "Early Morning Magic" (EMM) FAQ & Discussion

Looks like this is on a rolling 180 days. I am in my 180 days window and before I signed in my dates weren’t available when I signed in I could see my dates. August 28th

Yeah, SWGE, whenever it opens, will likely be the end of our little fun thread here. :-)
Not necessarily. Ceretainly aound the craziness of opening, this will be on hiatus.

But, once things die down a bit (read:no longer have 8 am openings), it could start up a bit.

Imagine the popularity of this if TSL EMM gets you into SWGE before the RD crowd hits (like it gets you onto Sunset Blvd before RD crowd). They could significantly raise the price.

The key would be whether they can manage the rd crowds that arrive before 7:30 in such a way that allows the EMM folks room to enter. Maybe once Skyliner construction is done, there will be room to hold the rd crowds back from the entrance until 7:40?

It seemed like people WERE having luck riding SDD and then going to see W&J when they were opening the land early. But all the reports for the last few weeks have been consistent that it’s not opening before 7:20 and most days more like 7:25. Ther must have been strict directions to stop letting people in so early, given how consistent it has been for a few weeks.

I’m leaning towards getting in line for the meet and greet immediately, because it seems like that just keeps building, whereas SDD dies down again midway into the event. Not sure, my kids might decide they don’t want to do the meet after all, so we’ll see...just over a week away now!
I might do this and just wait for W&J from the start if it’s 7:20 or later.
My 5 year old is TS obsessed and has a cowgirl themed dress for our May EMM so W&J and then SDD are the two real priorities.

We did EMM in October but they let us in earlier and I had my husband deal with the stroller. I’m not used to being on my own with a stroller and a kid lol

Sounds like if you’re early enough, there’s more than enough time to grab something quick to eat before going over to wait for TSL.

I’m really torn about spending time eating early in the morning and wasting the shorter wait times, but hate to blow off a breakfast we paid for!

We actually ate twice on our recent trip. We got to the Commissary a little before 7, sat down and had a light "breakfast" - cereal, juice, pastry. We got to TSL about 7:30, rode TSM twice without having to get off, then did SDD twice and AS2 once. Got to the rope drop for the rest of the park about 7:40 and were let in after 5 minutes. We were then able to ride ToT 4 times with very little waiting! (Crowds may have been a little light because it was cold.) One of our party also did RRC in the single rider line which was a walk-on. Got back to the Commissary at 9:50 and grabbed a hot "brunch". They did close the hot food line right at 10, in fact the server encouraged us to take an extra serving since we would not be able to come back for more. They also apparently ran out of the sweet potato nuggets since we got regular ones - which was fine with us! They closed one of the buffet lines shortly after 10 but kept the other one open for another 15-20 minutes.

All in all, thought it was a good value for us.

Great morning at EMM today!

Arrived on foot from Dolphin. Left about 6:25 and arrived at bag check about 6:40-6:45. Once through got our wrist bands and headed straight into breakfast for a coffee and pastry. We were slowed by a two year old who didn't sleep well last night with a tantrum in the middle of back lot but walked outside to hear the announcement at 7:18 that Andy's backyard was open. Arrived in the land at 7:25 to see at least 8 parties already lined up for Woody and Jesse. Said two year old was not going to do well with that and 7 year old wanted to maximize rides so change of plans, got on TSM instead. Walked through and right on to next cart. Off at 7:42 and on to SDD. Posted wait was 15 minutes and I was worried because the line started at the entrance but obviously not even close to all the switchbacks were in use and we were on in 8 minutes. A little regrouping to swap the 2 year old (who rode AS2 while waiting) and a few pictures then one group headed to SDD about 8:05 while the other did AS2 twice. By then it was 8:20. One group went for another SDD ride while the other repeated TSM. SDD group was done first but I didn't get exact wait time. They strolled checking out the land, looking at W&J and Buzz greeting others which was enough for the 2 year old. At 8:40 TSM group rejoined and we got a group photo in front of the Toy Story Land sign and headed out. We were headed up the ramp to the front of the theater when the masses turned the corner after the archway right at 8:45. It really was a sight and my group then realized why I'd been shooing them along after our last picture. We headed to Jedi training sign ups and got there about 8:55. Decent sized line but were through at 9:10 and had a choice of any show time. The line was significantly longer at 9:10 than when we got in it, probably by double. We headed off to eat and relax and enjoy the cooler more seasonable temps today compared to almost 90 yesterday. Then did 10:20 Jedi Training, met Olaf and now 11:30 Frozen sing along before getting out for a rest.

I really can't stress enough how great we thought this was, even without getting in tons of rides. Each person got at least one turn on each ride, some two, a chance to check out the land at a leisurely pace without crowds and minimal to no waits. Really awesome!

Sorry for the stream of conscious write up, just wanted to get it down quickly before I forgot since others' write-ups really helped me.
I loved your report because we’ll have to do some switching off with younger kiddos and rush over to Jedi signups afterward too. Glad to hear your signup line went fast as some people are reporting 30min waits and that eats into so much valuable ride time.

We’re debating between trying to beat the RD crowd to RnR and have DH and I switch off in the single rider line before heading to Jedi signups or just doing the Jedi signups right away and hope we can still get through the single rider line pretty quickly by 9:15 or so.

Hi everyone. My husband and I really wanted to do the EMM on 4/29 but it’s sold out. When/if people cancel do spots open up to book online again? I’ve been checking every day but now I’m wondering if I’m wasting my time :rolleyes1

Hi everyone. My husband and I really wanted to do the EMM on 4/29 but it’s sold out. When/if people cancel do spots open up to book online again? I’ve been checking every day but now I’m wondering if I’m wasting my time :rolleyes1
Just keep checking. They have until the day before to cancel so you never know

I think you have a pretty good chance, just check frequently and IMO always check first thing in the AM also. Last October the dates I wanted sold out before I committed, and one day they opened up a bunch of spots (too many to have been cancellations since it was multiple days and over 14 spots each day), and by afternoon of that day most of them were gone already. Also, as mentioned, if you're up for a last minute change make sure you check the day before since people could cancel up until MN the night before and might be hedging their bets on weather, family plans, health, etc and wait until late to cancel.

We attended EMM on February 20. I just got an email survey about the event. I rated it really highly, but everywhere that there was a box for comments, I begged them not to ruin the event by selling more tickets (like they’ve ruined the Halloween parties)! If you get a survey - please do the same!

We attended EMM on February 20. I just got an email survey about the event. I rated it really highly, but everywhere that there was a box for comments, I begged them not to ruin the event by selling more tickets (like they’ve ruined the Halloween parties)! If you get a survey - please do the same!

I've done it twice and never gotten a survey.

I don't like how when doing these surveys online you never know what's ahead in the survey, and sometimes they don't end with a comments box so you might miss your chance to freehand comments. They just have the scale of 1-10, etc and consider anything less than a 10 a fail (I'm not just referring to Disney, I mean any survey like after you buy a car, etc...). It's not always black and white, and their questions can be so vague or not the ones you want them to ask. But at least they try, I guess... With Disney I'm sometimes afraid to answer honestly, since they might take advantage and take things away. Like the "would you still come if.... question, or "would you still find it worthwhile if..." type, or "would you return if". Even if I truly would, I am loathe to put that in writing to them.

I wish I had gotten a survey! We had a great time but I do have comments for them.

Ha! FWIW, my personal conspiracy theory is I think it’s possible (very key word) that they actually dialed down the guest count just a tiny touch compared to the early events. I have no basis for that other than gut feeling having done two events and reading every review on this thread and how the wait reports have trended over time. Could absolutely be wrong though. :-)

It seemed like people WERE having luck riding SDD and then going to see W&J when they were opening the land early. But all the reports for the last few weeks have been consistent that it’s not opening before 7:20 and most days more like 7:25. Ther must have been strict directions to stop letting people in so early, given how consistent it has been for a few weeks.

I’m leaning towards getting in line for the meet and greet immediately, because it seems like that just keeps building, whereas SDD dies down again midway into the event. Not sure, my kids might decide they don’t want to do the meet after all, so we’ll see...just over a week away now!

Agreed, we saw the last test Slinky on the track as we walked in at 7:25 and the line at W&J was already building

I loved your report because we’ll have to do some switching off with younger kiddos and rush over to Jedi signups afterward too. Glad to hear your signup line went fast as some people are reporting 30min waits and that eats into so much valuable ride time.

We’re debating between trying to beat the RD crowd to RnR and have DH and I switch off in the single rider line before heading to Jedi signups or just doing the Jedi signups right away and hope we can still get through the single rider line pretty quickly by 9:15 or so.

We headed straight to training sign ups albeit at a slower pace and waited 15 minutes but it seemed anyone arriving 10 or more minutes later than us waited quite a bit longer as the line length just about doubled.

I’m curious- what are your comments? What would you change?

When I went end of January, I definitely think too many tickets were sold. I feel like there should be a better system for the characters since it's such a short time period. No one should have to sacrifice 30 minutes plus to see woody and Jessie during a 75 minute EMM. Maybe some kind of return pass?

I might do this and just wait for W&J from the start if it’s 7:20 or later.
My 5 year old is TS obsessed and has a cowgirl themed dress for our May EMM so W&J and then SDD are the two real priorities.

We did EMM in October but they let us in earlier and I had my husband deal with the stroller. I’m not used to being on my own with a stroller and a kid lol
You can easily park the stroller on your way in. When you line up outside the theater thy direct you towards the left to go down the ramp. One CM leads the stroller group. Another goes down the steps to lead everyone else. Then they hold each line so the two catch up to each other. Then Everyone goes together. Stay to the left and you can park your stroller by TSM. Then keep walking up to the left and get on line for woody and Jesse. Everyone else will be going to the right to slinky dog.

We waited till 8 to ride slinky and got two rides in from 8:02-8:26

I kept checking and just got mine for Memorial Day so it doesn't hurt to try.

When I went end of January, I definitely think too many tickets were sold. I feel like there should be a better system for the characters since it's such a short time period. No one should have to sacrifice 30 minutes plus to see woody and Jessie during a 75 minute EMM. Maybe some kind of return pass?
I agree with you about the characters! Our first time we got into what I thought was a short line for W&J and it ended up being almost 20 min. I hadn’t realized how much more they interact than during character meals: I expected them to just take a photo with each group and move on. The second time was Jan 2 and we did SDD first and when we got off it was 7:27 and we got in line and were 2nd, they came out at 7:30 and we had very little wait. Couldn’t have timed it better. We never did see Buzz- didn’t want to give up time to wait twice for characters, we wanted to ride! We looked at his line on our way out at 9 but the line was really long. I didn’t feel like there were more people than October, though, if anything it felt lighter. It’s almost like you have to choose- lots of rides or a ride on each and all 3 characters. Which I guess, in a way, doesn’t sound too unfair when I write it like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter