Diabetes and eating at Disneyland ????'s

michellelovesthemous

DIS Veteran
Hiya!
My mother just got diagnosed with diabetes and boy is she overwhelmed!! To top it off it has happened just before our trip for 8 days to Disneyland and now she has to measure food and watch what she eats. Boy is she frustrated
so I was wondering if anybody out there has diabetes and how do they handle it when they are at the park with the restaurants and such? Any ideas
or suggestion on how/what she should eat as we had all these great plans on the buffets, Blue Bayou and even Fantasmic! buffet too. Thanks for any help or suggestions as we leave in less than 19 days!

I've been at DL with my mother and my aunt who are both diabetic. They each carried a few snacks with them in case their blood sugar got too low. When it came to meals, they would either choose something that didn't load up on carbs, like salads or meals with veggies as a side instead of fries. Most of the time they just ordered what they wanted, but ate carefully. The thing is they both have had years of experience managing their diabetes and since your mom is so new to this, it may be a little harder for her. Just have her listen to her body. She can probably recognize when she needs food (or sugar). The buffets will be fine, there will be plenty for her to choose from. The Fantasmic buffet may be pretty tempting, but if she plans ahead by not overeating before, she should be able to at least sample everything she wants.

I have done Disneyland with my father in law who has diabetes many times. I have also done Disneyland and WDW with my own dad who also has it a few times as well! I agree with got2travel, make sure you bring some snacks along. My dad brought along some nuts and beef jerkey in his backpack. High protein snacks really help him manage his blood sugar. Don't allow your mother to become hungry. If she eats many snacks through out the day not only does that keep her from getting shakey, it keeps her from blowing it at restuarants because she is starving! It can be a challenge but it can be done. The buffets, like Goofy's are actually quite good for eating healthy if you have will power. They have salad bars, several meat selections soups and you can take as much or little as you want. At breakfast, the buffets always have build your own omlettes, so my fil always loads up on the eggs, cheese and veggies and skips the breads and hashbrowns. Most of the counter service places also have salads, Redd Rockets has a great chicken caesar salad my fil always gets to avoid the pizza and pasta. As for the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet, they do serve cheese and crackers in addition to all the desserts. You might be able to call that number and tell them you need some sugar free desserts. Disney is very good at accomodating their guests. One other bright note: you do so much walking and that always helps my dad and fil keep their blood sugar down.

Good luck!

My Dad is diabetic and we go to DL often. He brings 2 coolers, 1 with snacks and sodas (he can't have any of the choices there...except water of course) and the other with his medication (he also has/had kidney problems, so meds for that too). He 'grazes' all day out of his cooler. Meals, depends on how he is feeling. Since she is new to this though, she should probably stay away from 'bad' foods all together and go with salads and low carb foods. I know they have a good salad (used to be better) at the pilot place in DCA by Soarin and also at Pizza place by Space Mountain. I seem to rememeber Dad liking something at the place by Thunder Mountain (ranchero something??).

Really though, she'll be just fine :grouphug: She should be able to find plenty she can eat as long as you choose options other then hotdog stands. Maybe have her bring a few 'safe' dessert type items incase she gets the urge while everyone else is enjoying something delicious.

My family swears by the Crystal Lite "On-the-Go" packets--as well as the Wal-Mart and Target brands. Basically, it's a small packet of sugar-free drink mix that you pour into a bottle of water (.5 liter?). For me, it's because I am just not a water drinker. For my diabetic Dad, it's because he needs both sugar- AND caffeine-free--and he doesn't like plain water either.

The small tubes are in boxes next to powdered drink mix in the grocery and discount stores. My personal faves are Wal-Mart's lemonade and Target's strawberry lemonade. The packages are very portable and we haven't had a leak or break-open in purse, backpack or fanny pack yet!

I'm reading this thread with interest--DDad is going with us to DL in Dec!

D-n-C

Another option is to go to City Hall on Main Street-Disneyland, and talk to them about having a meal at one of the restaurants with diabetic needs in mind. They will have someone plan out a meal with you so can all enjoy a meal at a restaurant there.

If you plan a table service, call ahead and you can have them make a sugar free desert.

The phone # for Disneyland dining is : —(714) 781-3463

They will make the dessert with the sugar substitute you request, and make it really delicious. My mom is diabetic, and when she goes to Anaheim for a convention every december, she always stops into the Storyteller's cafe in the Grand Californian, and they make her up something special, and make a note of telling her what is low in sugar on the menu (or buffet, as you can do both here, except for character breakfast).

They've always been very accomodating.

Having experienced gestational diabetes just last year here's what I did when we went to DL. Nuts are a good option for a snack as well as veggies. But stay away from too many carrots because they are glycemic.

The Carnation Cafe right on Main Street has several great options for dining. The portions are a bit large but you can cut that back on your own. I had the turkey sandwich on wheat and it was great. I had to keep really close watch on my blood sugars since I was also insulin dependent. I remember after taking my blood sugar that it was not affected at all after my meal. Salads are also great especially with a nice chicken breast on top. Remember to think protein and stay away from anything white, because it just turns to sugar. I know this sounds crazy but the jumbo turkey leg I've heard is also a great option for snacking. The legs are in Frontierland.

I hope your Mom is feeling good and will enjoy her trip to Disney. Having diabetes is an eye opener that's for sure. It's all about moderation and watching what you take in. Such a bummer, but it is something that can be controlled. Good luck!

Mom got diagnosed as Type II and is also battling with cholestrol as well. I want to thank everybody who has posted so far and to anyone else who will post after this, as we could use all the encouragement, ideas and pixie dust we can get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter