diabetic

cyctorres

DIS Veteran
my wife is diabetic, what places you recommend me,that she can eat that they have something for their needs

For main course and appetizers, pretty much everywhere will have plenty of choices, but desserts are harder.

The candy shops on Main Street and Buena Vista Street have a few choices in the freshly made choices. There are several prepackaged candies available that are sugar free.

Gibson Girl and Claribelles has No Sugar Added Butter Pecan Ice Cream.

You can also contact the special dietary needs department at Special.Diets@disneyland.com

I am pretty sure Carthay Circle and Naples would both be able to come up with something with advance notice.

Really the list I have provided is about the extent of the official items, they do need to step up their game with this very cool dietary issue.

Make sure your wife brings snacks that she knows she can eat so that she always has something in her bag to keep her going in lines or between meals. If she can't find something she likes right away or if you get delayed finding a meal that works, at least she will have her own snacks handy. You can find the menus for the restaurants in the parks at the DLR website. Look over those to see what will work best for your wife so that you will know where to go to eat.

Well, scratch the special diets line, they are useless, they just said ask at each location when you dine. Not exactly helpful.

My husband is type 1 diabetic and vegan and has found that his best bet is to bring his own snacks, and for meals to let the server know of his dietary issues and be prepared to talk to the chef if/when he has questions (we’ve found the chefs extremely helpful, even at busy counter service locations, so don’t be afraid to ask to speak to them).

My main suggestions from my observations on traveling with him are for your wife to consider which foods tend to trigger blood sugar spikes and try to avoid them (like, my husband used to be better with breads, potatoes and pasta than he is now, now they really mess with his blood sugar so mostly he tries to avoid those).

If bread buns are a trigger, see if a burger could be served on a bed of lettuce instead, if you go to the Cozy Cone in DCA for chili in a pretzel cone, ask for the chili in a cup instead (unfortunately they charge the same price, but they are willing to do this), if white flour pasta is a trigger, ask if they have a whole wheat pasta option that could be substituted or what alternate pastas they have for special diet needs (we’ve found sometimes the vegan pastas in the park are also gluten free pastas and some of those are easier on his blood sugar than white flour pastas). Go for dishes that sound more diabetic friendly in the description (ie, dish with quinoa over a dish with white rice, etc). Thankfully the menus are all available online now, so we check the app before leaving on our trip and prepare a list of options to have them ready in advance. Additionally, I’ve found that some table service locations that bring bread or rolls to the table don’t have vegan options so they substitute a cup of sliced fruit instead and my husband has found the fruit to be less of a blood sugar trigger. If that’s the case for her, she might want to ask for fruit instead of bread/rolls at sit down restaurants.

The main other suggestions I have are to make sure both you & she (as well as any other members of your party) know where the first aid locations are in both parks (I suggest that for any health issues, really), to bring some glucose tablets or easy sugar like lollipops or hard candies in case she has low blood sugar, and if she’s not on the pump and continuous glucose monitor to tell her to have her daily purse/bag travel kit of diabetic supplies with her and be ready to stop & check her blood sugar if she is feeling at all off. My husband brings his full kit plus more test strips than he usually carries everyday with him when we are at Disneyland because all that walking can really mess with your blood sugar.

Basically, it is a little more work, but it’s not too bad (I’ve found that, at table service and counter service locations its actually more work to accommodate our special needs as vegans than to accommodate his special needs as diabetic), and Disneyland dining is pretty good at being flexible if you are willing to ask. Have fun!

~Meg

Wow sounds much more several than my wife, for her the only trigger is things like desserts and such.

Also for the cozy cone Chili, you can ask for the cone on the side and you could eat it since they charge the same price anyway, might as well get it all.

I would look at the Menu's at allears.net ahead of time so she can know where would be the best options for her to dine at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter