Dialysis at WDW

fauberfive

Mouseketeer

I am planning a trip to WDW in December. I am on kidney dialysis T/Th/Sat. I have already talked with my local social worker and several dialysis centers near WDW.

Has anyone on this board experienced this at WDW?

We are staying at the AKL and was told we would have to take a taxi or rent a car to do back and forth to the center.

Anyone ever know WDW to provide transporation?

Thanks!

I would suggest finding which ones will accept your insurance. Work with your current center, they may have someone down here they work with, so they will be able to give them all the information that is needed.

I have not heard of Dinsey providing non-emergency transportation. The only thing I have heard of them providing is a trip back to the resort from the hospital if the person was taken to the hospital by ambulance.

people have asked about it before they went, but I don't remember people reporting back how it went.
I'm quite certain that your WDW resort won't provide transportation for dialysis, so I'm pretty sure you will need to get a cab. The front desk or Guest Relations at AK can probably call a cab for you - and you can probably arrange with the driver for pick up to return to the resort and actually for your other trips back and forth.
Your social worker should be able to get everything taken care of (physician's orders, coverage, etc.). I'm sure the dialysis centers in the WDW area see a lot of people in your situation and that things should work out just fine.

Hi-
My SIL honeymooned in WDW and here dialysis schedule is the same as yours. She had to take a taxi back & forth the 3xs she was there, they ended up renting a car so that her (new) DH could drive her back & forth and not have to pay so much for taxi fare. The price was about the same when you figured 3 round-trips back and forth.

GL with your trip planning! :)

Before my step dad got transplanted (feb 01) he use to schedule his Dialysis really early in the morning im talking like 5am just so he wouldnt miss any park time with us...we did this for a good 8 years but it was always easier for him to take a taxi because he would get really wiped out after dialysis with everthing disney has on property it would be nice if they had a unit on property it would make peoples lives that much easier.. IMHO that is

This may be a late reply, but nevertheless, still on topic.

Celebration has an EXCELLENT dialysis center. For that matter, Celebration also has an excellent hospital, too. We were on our trip in May, 2005.

My wife went to the DaVita Celebration dialysis center. It is very close to WDW. We stayed off property, so we had our own car and drove. When we go again and possibly stay on property, I think that we will forego the car and just taxi on the three days for dialysis.

Also on our trip, my wife broke her leg. We took her to the Celebration ER. Nice hospital.

HTH

I am still planning my DIScember trip and will try and rememeber to post a reply as how my dialysis went; because these boards have been a wealth of information and support.

I have located all the dialysis centers. There is one in Celebration (Disney property) about 15 minutes away from the parks. Their schedule is M-W-F 8am-2pm. My schedule is T/TH/Sat at 3:00pm because I still work M-F 5:30am-2:30pm. I plan to go to another unit (25 minutes away) at 3:00pm.

I am more use to being up early with some energy and then "washed out" in the evenings. So, as you can see we plan to hit the parks early and then relax at the AKL or Pleasure Island at nights.

The resorts do not provided transportation. I was told by the AKL Concierge planning staff it would be best for me to rent a car. they gave me number for 2 car rental services on disney property.

Wish me pixie dust and magic as I venture into a week at WDW with one not so healthy kidney :wizard:

Thanks to all who have been there and responded. Like I said earlier, we've gotten a lot of planning posts, but not a lot of of reports after.
Whether renting a car or using a taxi works out better depends on whether or not you have a driver who is comfortable finding his/her way around WDW.
I know in other situations (when I've been at conferences), I've gotten a phone number from the taxi driver/arranged with the taxi driver ahead of time for transportation for other trips.

I am a dialysis nurse in Ohio. We have 3 pts that are "snow birds" that spend the a few months in the winter close to Celebration. One has a DVC with one of the Disney VC. They all are very comfortable with the way things are run at the dialysis centers, and they should know, they have been on dialysis for years.

Peritoneal dialysis is sort of a different story. We have quite a few patients that are able to do PD at home. Baxter has been excellent with setting up supplies with all our patients. When a patient wants to travel to a different city or vacation or whatever, Baxter takes care of all the supplies, shipping and does and does it very well.

just want to subcribe, my mom is on dialysis and my parents want to make a trip to WDW, if any one can give me any info that would be great. Thanks.

You mom should talk to the social worker at her dialysis center. This person can expedite the arrangements for her in Orlando, better than she or you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter