Diaper Bag for a One Year Old

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
OK. We're going in August and my son will have just turned one. I am wondering what I will need in the diaper bag and whether or not I should get a new bag. Right now I have a big "Eddie Bauer" bag that is the kind you carry on one shoulder. I'm looking at the backpack diaper bag that the "One Step Ahead" catalog sells. Would that be easier...a backpack? We will probably have a Graco lightrider or similar stroller with us (we haven't bought it yet - we have a Peg Perego but it's huge and I'm NOT schlepping it to WDW). Any advice on diaper bags? What will I need to pack in it for a one year old in the dead of summer? Thanks for any advice!!!

I would avoid a backpack, it's going to get very hot on your back in August.
Does the lightrider have a big basket? I would think of bringing a softsided cooler bag, and another bag to serve as a diaper bag.

In the cooler you will want loads of drinks, snacks, baby food if that's what your son eats, maybe a washcloth.

In the diaper bag - I would bring your usual stuff, diapers, wipes etc, lots of wipes... a couple of changes of clothes, hat if you can get him to wear one, lots of suncream. Hmm, it's been a while since my dd was 1, I am struggling here, but I would try not to overload yourself with stuff - you are going to have to deal with the bags and the stroller on the trams etc, so you don't want to be too weighed down.

bev

We took our 11 mo old DD a few weeks ago. We had an umbrella-type stroller (the kind with 2 handles) and a backpack and it worked really well! The backpack we picked up cheap a few years ago in London - it's a regular (i.e. non-diaperbag) type bag with just one large interior pocket. It fit everything fine. I packed extra clothes, her snacks and diapering supplies in ziplocks so that bag checks were easy. We also took her formula and some small packs of cheese in a cooler. Some toys also fit in the bag, with room to spare for small purchases.

The great thing about the umbrella/backpack combo is the backpack will slide over the handles on the stroller and it works out great! 90% of the time noone had to carry the bag, and our DD was still in the stroller. Our umbrella is a Jeep Cherokee - it has a sun shade, reclines and has a basket. She slept in it in almost every park for at least an hour at a time, and it suited our needs great. The grandparents got it for $59 (I think) at USA Baby, and our DD loves this stroller.

One thing to note - the Baby Care centers have changing tables with disposable paper liners. So if you only use these for changes, you don't need to tote a changing pad around. They also have diapers and wipes and food for purchase - anything you might need if you happen to find yourselves without.

Hope this helps!
Mur!

We took my son last yr when he was 16 months, so obviously I needed to have the typical baby stuff, diapers, sippy cups, wipes and all that jazz. Instead of bringing a separate bag as a diaper bag and a cooler bag, oh and you can forget the camera and the video camera and the autograph book (for dd), bring one big bag that you can carryon your shoulder, like the Land's End of LL Bean bag that has 2 handles. Put enough diapers for the day and the wipes, a small cooler that can hold the cup and some snacks and also hold your camera and video camera. The reason I suggest one big bag is because when you go on a ride, you just have to grab that one bag and go, otherwise you keep the bag in the stroller basket. This works great for us, we never leave any valuable behind because I know just to grab the one bag. But, this only works if you have a stroller basket because you don't want to lug that bag around on your shoulder all day long. I also tend to live with ziploc bags for the duration of our trip. I have a ziploc for the diapers, one for the wipes, the camera etc. You never know when it is going to rain and ziplocs are amazing....:p

We went when DD was 11 months and again last weekend when she was 16 months. We carry a Lands End backpack style diaper bag. Except when we go through security checkpoints (and DH carries it through), the diaper bag goes on the back of our umbrella type stroller or in the basket (depending on how full it is).

DD was pretty much only on table foods and nursing at 11 months (no need for bottles or baby food), and 100% on table foods on this last trip. So, we used the front pocket for personal effects (sunglasses, lip balm, hair brush, etc.), the second pocket for cameras and film, and in the main pocket we carried 2 changes of outfit, a sweater, a light blanket, a rain coat, a juice cup, sunscreen, a hat, diapers, and wipes. I think we might have also had a contianer of Goldfish crackers for emergency situations (where DD had to eat *now*). In the very back pocket of the diaper bag (not zippered), we carried the rain cover that came with our stroller.

It worked out perfectly each time. Keeping everything in one bag made it easy to pick it up and have DH go through security while DD and I breezed through, and to grab it to fold up the stroller quickly for buses.

Gee, I must be a bad mommy after reading this post. This is all I carry. Two diapers, a ziploc, diaper wipes, a couple small toys for restaurant entertaining, some sort of munchie (cheerios, goldfish, etc), sunscreen and two empty sippie cups. That's it. No change of clothes (DS doesn't have explosive poopy, never had that problem), nothing else. We always stay on site, so if anything disasturous were to happen, I'd just head back to the room. We also don't tour commando, always going back to our room after lunch, so no real reason to cart so much stuff with us. I bought a VERY small diaper bag, similiar in size to the hospital ones and it works just fine.

I never brought a change of clothes either ;)

I guess that makes me a closet member of the bad mommy club too.

My ds does have blow-outs from time to time, so I really should have a spare outfit with me. Luckily we are on-site too.

I am living on the edge!

LOL - I was beginning to feel like a bad mommy too! I always traveled very light in the parks with my girls. All of my girls had been to the parks by the time they were 15 months old. I used the diaper bag that was given to me at the hospital - perfect size. I just brought a couple of diapers, a travel size pack of wipes, sippy cup or bottle, and some snack items (goldfish, pack of crackers, etc). I also usually just put one t-shirt in the bag, just in case of a spill. We've always stayed on site too, and its so easy to go back to the room for naps. On our way back to the park that evening, I just replenished whatever I had used.

I always left my diaper bag in the stroller, and no one ever bothered with it.

Have a great time - I think that age is a great time to be at Disney!! By the way, we'll be at Disney in Oct for our first MNSSHP!!

READ THIS!

shop no further! go straight to sportbaby.com and order yourself the backpack. its the best one youll find and mine has been to wdw many times! its has insulated pockets for drinks, a waterproof pocket inside for wet clothes, easy grab handles on top in addition to the back pack straps. but the absolute best feature is the zip down changing pad that is attached, it was big enough to change my 2 1/2 year old anywhere and you cant loose it or leave it anywhere and once the pad unfolds it has a place for all your changing goodies.

we carry the change of clothes for the water fountains that are dotted around the parks, particularly in Epcot. My dd just loves to play in them, and it's nice to know that she can get as wet as she likes and I have a spare outfit (nothing flash, usually a pair of panties and a thin dress which take up little room in my bag).

If it's too cold for water fountains, then I don't bother - I figure if we have a clothing crisis then it's a great excuse for me to shop!

Bev

I STRONGLY second the suggestion of the LAND'S END backback diaper bag. Mine is going on 7 years old and has been to to WDW 6 times!! As well as hersheypark six flags the beach etc. We bought it when DS was just an infant and worked just as well on our trip last year at the age of six. Like others--its the only bag we take--plenty of sections for everything you needj- from diaper to cell to wallet--whatever. It's also great when going on rides cause you just grab and go and DH doesn't mind carrying it either--We just love it .

I traveled light to a Christmas party with my 3 DS and DD and DA when what to my surprise - as soon as we got inside I doscovered that my 5 mo. DS had poop all over him. I mean I couldn't even put his clothes back on after changing him. Needless to say I had to go to the closest mall (2 weeks before Christmas) and buy a new outfit. I'll never do that again. Spare clothes for everyone! In a locker, of course with the baby's in the diaper bag.

Since you will be there in August and we know it will be hot - DO use the hospitality house. It is air conditioned and there are private rooms to use if you are nursing. Great place to cool off when it gets too hot.

Another tip I would offer is to go to WalMart or somewhere else outside of WDW and buy one of those spray bottles with a fan. It will keep your little one cool and entertained at the same time.

My theory - if I forgot it - I can buy it.

Have a great time.:D :D :D :D

I rarely carried a diaper bag once DD got past infancy! I hated the darned things. They were either all cutesy poo and looked like the kid should be carrying them (why would a 35 yo woman want to carry a bag covered in teddy bears?) or they were huge. I was given the Lands End bags (backpack & regular) and could not figure out why I needed so much space for 1 kid.

I used to carry a nice microfiber tote; I got it at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I would throw in a couple of diapers, one of the portable size wipe containers, a bib or washcloth, and a hat. If we were going on a longish trip (like to WDW), I'd use a rubbermaid or ziploc for some snacks and I'd take a juicebox. Then in would go wallet, phone, camera, etc.. I just refused to be a pack mule bc I had had a child. :D

BevS97 -- when DD was littler (she is almost 9 now), I used to put her in her bathing suit with a sundress over top for just the situation you described. When we'd get to a water element, I'd just pull off the dress and let her go for it!

Another member of the "bad mommy club."

We had TWO in diapers and managed to fit nearly everything we needed in - get this - a Mickey Mouse fanny pack. About six diapers, a ziploc of wipes, a couple things of fruit snacks and the camera.

I did have a backpack, which had a bottle for my daughter, bubbles (never used), sippy cups, extra diapers and wipes and jackets - which we did use as it was darn cold. If we hadn't been going during a cold Feb, we'd have done fine with two fanny packs.

I'll nominate myself for president of the "bad mommy club," as my husband had the fanny pack, and was therefore keeper of the diapers.

Neither of my kids had explosive diapers (except when ill), both were old enough that they weren't wet very often, and neither of them even really needed sippy cups (they just made my life easier). And we weren't going to be playing in any fountains in 50 degree weather!

The lists are extensive and great. I took our Graco Lightrider and it worked out great, except for the busses--that was a pain. Luckily we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge so we took the boat every chance we could get. I second bringing the rain cover that comes with the stroller. It worked out great. If you are going in Aug the heat will be bad. You baby will need fluids!! The sippy cup was always filled with water and on my DS(1)'s lap so he had it anytime he needed it -- because I knew I'd forget (isn't that awful?).
Don't worry about forgeting something in the diaper bag - you can always buy it.
Something else to think about if you haven't already is bringing stuff to baby proof the room. I would bring a nightlight, outlet covers and masking tape.

Originally posted by jel0511
Gee, I must be a bad mommy after reading this post. This is all I carry. Two diapers, a ziploc, diaper wipes, a couple small toys for restaurant entertaining, some sort of munchie (cheerios, goldfish, etc), sunscreen and two empty sippie cups. That's it. No change of clothes (DS doesn't have explosive poopy, never had that problem), nothing else. We always stay on site, so if anything disasturous were to happen, I'd just head back to the room. We also don't tour commando, always going back to our room after lunch, so no real reason to cart so much stuff with us. I bought a VERY small diaper bag, similiar in size to the hospital ones and it works just fine.

No! You're a smart Mommy. After the first two days of lugging all of our babys stuff to the parks and only needeing one or two diapers, and a drink or snack before heading back to the hotel, we figured it out. Pack light, since there is no doubt you'll be back at your room before you'll need 1/2 of what you brought.

What about milk? My 18 month old is still very attached to her bottle, and when she wants milk, she doesn't want to wait very long. Do they sell milk alot around the park, or are you allowed to bring some in? If so, how do you keep it cool?

when my dd was younger, we used to carry those little cartons of formula that don't need refrigeration. She didn't actually drink formula on a day to day basis after 12 months, but she was happy enough to drink it when we were out and that was easiest option.

Even with a cool bag, I would be uncomfortable with carrying fresh milk around a park in the Florida heat. You can almost guarantee that the moment your dd is desperate for some milk, is the moment you find out it has soured.

Bev

Milk is pretty much everywhere. I never had a problem finding milk in any of the parks for my DS(1). Some of the smaller drink carts may not have it (That happened to us in Dinoland). But all the counter service areas do -even the refreshment area in Tomorrowland had it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter