• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Did anyone find WL or FW more "buggy" with insects?

Disney has a really extensive insect monitoring and control program. If WL is a trouble spot, they likely already know about that and take measures to increase countermeasures there. My guess is that anecdotal reports of mosquito bites can happen at any resort, and without statistics it's hard to tell whether you'll have issues when going to that same resort on a different visit.

For example, maybe one person is okay on a day when the area was freshly sprayed. Another person gets unlucky on a different day. If bites are a huge issue, it would be good to bring repellent. If things are ever more dangerous, Disney has put out free repellent in the past for guests (although they must have amped up their own bug control too).

(Edit: typos)

Last edited:
Disney has a really extensive insect monitoring and control program. If WL is a trouble spot, they likely already know about that and take measures to increase countermeasures there. My guess is that anecdotal reports of mosquito bites can happen at any resort, and without statistics it's hard to tell whether you'll have issues when visiting that same resort on a different visit.

For example, maybe one person is okay on a day when the area was freshly sprayed. Another person gets unlucky on a different day. If bites are a huge issue, it would be good to bring repellent. If things are ever more dangerous, Disney has put out free repellent in the past for guest (although they must have amped up their own bug control too).
I've never known the particulars but I knew they had to have something. Otherwise, DGD would have been eaten alive because if there is a mosquito in a 10 mile radius of her it will fly in, bite her and leave a hive as big as her head behind as evidence. Poor thing can not play outside at all in the spring/summer. Not without loading up with spray, which is about as yuck (we've tried everything there is). I keep hoping she'll outgrow it since no one else in any of the families has ever had a reaction like she does.

I have stayed at FW three times and visited a few other times and my bug bite count there is no different than an visits to deluxes. I think overall that I have maybe 3 or 4 bug bites when at WDW since I was old enough to remember, about 30 years. I remember one while walking the old walking path along the lake between WL and FW. I know I got one at DHS and one at CR.

WE actually OWN at BRV.... been going twice per year, APR and NOV each year. Since about 2012.
Gota say - "what mosquitoes"? We tend to get bit far more at the MK :).

Now - EXCEPTION: BOAT DOCK AREAS. We were nearly eaten alive at the Contemporary Boat Dock, one year. So if mosquitoes are an issue? BUS - NO BOAT....

WE actually OWN at BRV.... been going twice per year, APR and NOV each year. Since about 2012.
Gota say - "what mosquitoes"? We tend to get bit far more at the MK :).

Now - EXCEPTION: BOAT DOCK AREAS. We were nearly eaten alive at the Contemporary Boat Dock, one year. So if mosquitoes are an issue? BUS - NO BOAT....

That's the issue. I don't want to take a bus with a stroller, have to take baby out, etc. I will be putting off WL until I no longer need a stroller then. Thanks!

That's the issue. I don't want to take a bus with a stroller, have to take baby out, etc. I will be putting off WL until I no longer need a stroller then. Thanks!
Worth noting? MANY folks with very LARGE strollers use the bus system. Key deal: Can you FOLD it? That's all you need to be able to do :).
To boot? There are still Old men like me that get UP, out of their seats, to insure a Mother and child get to SIT :).

Father of four... all grown now. Dear wife and I did this. Partially because we asked each other....
"If there were a SERIOUS boat problem? How would we save our infant, from a drowning situation?"

You will chose what to do. Just suggesting that the WDW BUS System is VERY GOOD at accommodating young children :). We are ALL in trouble if the day ever comes that WDW has an issue with wonderful children :).

Worth noting? MANY folks with very LARGE strollers use the bus system. Key deal: Can you FOLD it? That's all you need to be able to do :).
To boot? There are still Old men like me that get UP, out of their seats, to insure a Mother and child get to SIT :).

Father of four... all grown now. Dear wife and I did this. Partially because we asked each other....
"If there were a SERIOUS boat problem? How would we save our infant, from a drowning situation?"

You will chose what to do. Just suggesting that the WDW BUS System is VERY GOOD at accommodating young children :). We are ALL in trouble if the day ever comes that WDW has an issue with wonderful children :).

Hi. We did just take the bus in April from the GF to get to AK and DHS and of course take our 1 year old out.. It was a task for sure for various reasons. Not one person even got up so my husband could sit with our small one year old for the entire ride there. We literally were up at the front of the bus by the driver, it was honestly very unsafe for my child. I regretted getting on that bus. I am very thankful we arrived to AK safely. :( So if I can avoid it I will.

I get bit if I am outside for 30 seconds where I live in Virginia, but never at WDW. They must spray a TON.

Mosquitos are everywhere in Florida, it's hard to avoid them. The one place I saw thousands were up on the ceiling waiting for the Magic Kingdom monorail. It was terrifying like a scene out of the birds lol. But none of them came down from there and I didn't have any bites and I get bit a lot. When I stayed at Wilderness Lodge I didn't get bit, but I have at some of their other resorts. I think they spray a lot.

I once played 18 holes of golf at WDW with a CM and his son and when I asked what he did he said he worked in Pest Control. When I asked what he did he basically said he was an Exterminator for Disney. Well that opened the door for a long conversation on the subject because I live outdoors in Texas and own a farm and fish and hunt a lot. I told him I was really impressed that there were virtually no mosquitos there and how did they do it? He said they have a very aggressive program to control them from spraying to systems that trap them to airial spraying of the wooded areas that are undeveloped to making sure there was no standing water to allow them to breed. He said the annual budget for it was big. We also talked about how often they spray in the parks around the food service areas and he said that was a weekly occurence as his normal shift was 11 pm till 7 am because they do all of it over night. No discussion of alligators because this was a number of years ago before any incidents.

We have stayed at FW quite a bit and have never had issues with mosquito bites, even at the docks. We normally go during busy times of the year and have had to wait for the boats and haven't had any issues with bites. So I wouldn't worry about too much.

Hi. We did just take the bus in April from the GF to get to AK and DHS and of course take our 1 year old out.. It was a task for sure for various reasons. Not one person even got up so my husband could sit with our small one year old for the entire ride there. We literally were up at the front of the bus by the driver, it was honestly very unsafe for my child. I regretted getting on that bus. I am very thankful we arrived to AK safely. :( So if I can avoid it I will.
Had you run into ME? 66 years old... and I will ALWAYS offer a seat to any MALE or FEMALE, with a small child :(.

Your story BOTHERS me.... I am saddened that others in 2018 are so selfish that they want their "right" to a 15 minute bus seat, at the risk of a child's life, in the event of a required "slam on the brakes" by a good bus driver :(.

We have seen this occur - with a 3 year old sliding down a Bus floor like a rag doll :(. NOT a bad bus driver... just a situation.

So two things for others? PLEASE?

1) Get OUT of your seat for anyone with a small child. I'm 66. I CAN DO THIS - how weak and puny are you?
2) Parents? PLEASE use the WDW Bus Policy, even if you have to speak to the driver? Do NOT try to stand with a very small child. You could be fine - until a "situation" occurs. Your dear child could easily end up crushed UNDER you :(.

Vent over - I will CONTINUE to get my but up out of a seat, when any parent needs a safe space for their child. At 66? I am going through the windshield before an innocent infant-3 year old does.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Had you run into ME? 66 years old... and I will ALWAYS offer a seat to any MALE or FEMALE, with a small child :(.

Your story BOTHERS me.... I am saddened that others in 2018 are so selfish that they want their "right" to a 15 minute bus seat, at the risk of a child's life, in the event of a required "slam on the brakes" by a good bus driver :(.

We have seen this occur - with a 3 year old sliding down a Bus floor like a rag doll :(. NOT a bad bus driver... just a situation.

So two things for others? PLEASE?

1) Get OUT of your seat for anyone with a small child. I'm 66. I CAN DO THIS - how weak and puny are you?
2) Parents? PLEASE use the WDW Bus Policy, even if you have to speak to the driver? Do NOT try to stand with a very small child. You could be fine - until a "situation" occurs. Your dear child could easily end up crushed UNDER you :(.

Vent over - I will CONTINUE to get my but up out of a seat, when any parent needs a safe space for their child. At 66? I am going through the windshield before an innocent infant-3 year old does.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

This was in the morning, people were fresh and ready to go. Not even exhausted from trekking around all day. People did not even suggest their healthy 12, 15 year old, etc, get up, or put their 5 year old or 3 year old on their lap, so that my one year old didn't have to practically kiss the windshield. I am physically unable to hold our child for extended periods, especially while standing, so my husband was holding her. It was awful, I tried to balance the stroller, hold on, hold my child's head so it wouldn't flop forward at a short stop, etc. Never again, I would pass on the bus next time but I didn't realize once we got on that there wouldn't even be one seat (or one seat offered to a person with a very small child in their arms). So I guess that always stays in my mind re the hassle of the buses.

And I never even thought of that, my child getting crushed under one of us. Oh my, never again would I do that and I am surprised the driver can even allow that.

You are a class act, apparently there were none on the bus that particular day at the Grand Floridian.

This was in the morning, people were fresh and ready to go. Not even exhausted from trekking around all day. People did not even suggest their healthy 12, 15 year old, etc, get up, or put their 5 year old or 3 year old on their lap, so that my one year old didn't have to practically kiss the windshield. I am physically unable to hold our child for extended periods, especially while standing, so my husband was holding her. It was awful, I tried to balance the stroller, hold on, hold my child's head so it wouldn't flop forward at a short stop, etc. Never again, I would pass on the bus next time but I didn't realize once we got on that there wouldn't even be one seat (or one seat offered to a person with a very small child in their arms). So I guess that always stays in my mind re the hassle of the buses.

And I never even thought of that, my child getting crushed under one of us. Oh my, never again would I do that and I am surprised the driver can even allow that.

You are a class act, apparently there were none on the bus that particular day at the Grand Floridian.

Well? Not a Class Act :). Maybe Dad raised me right, back in the 1950 - 1968 range. I'm just REALLY disappointed that at 66, I appear to be stronger physically, and mentally, than those 15 to 30 year old Males you encountered :(. This is wrong behavior. No small child should be put at risk due to the incorrect concept that one "owns" a Bus seat. We don't do this to those adults that are challenged... it's VERY wrong to do this to an innocent child :(.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter