Did you still use your resort pool in January?

We went in January last year and we were so cold we started wearing leggings under jeans, two pairs of socks, plus several top layers and light puffy jackets. Weather is variable, however, so you never know. I would start checking the weather 2 to 3 days ahead of time and go from there.

All due respect to what is posted, but looking at the weather forecast a month in advance is almost the same as using the Farmer's Almanac to predict a particular day - it's way too general and will change 100 times before getting to mid-Jan. Those sunny and mid-upper 60s days look like pool days to us, too!!
True, but it is no different than basing your decision on what has occurred in prior years, since that also has little bearing on what will happen a specific week in 2024. It’s just another tool to add to the mix.

To be honest, I don’t pack for my winter WDW trips until a few days ahead, specifically to get the most up to date forecast possible.

I’ve been swimming at Disney when the air temp was around 50. The pool is comfortable. Until a part of your body you’ve had under is no longer under the water. That and the walk back to the room is quite horrible.

We have gone from January to March the last four trips. I’m pretty sure each trip has had lows in the 30s and highs in the 90s. We have swam every time.

True, but it is no different than basing your decision on what has occurred in prior years, since that also has little bearing on what will happen a specific week in 2024. It’s just another tool to add to the mix.

To be honest, I don’t pack for my winter WDW trips until a few days ahead, specifically to get the most up to date forecast possible.
The only thing I based it on is that a large majority of the time, in our experience, a weather forecast 5-7 weeks out is pretty much useless. And that's been consistent over the years......!

100% agree with the final packing a few days in advance, once you know what the weather is likely to be. Although, most years, going for a week in January requires a swim suit, shorts, tank shirts, along with long jeans, long-sleeved tee-shirts, and a sweatshirt! The good news is if you forget something you need, Disney is right there to sell it to you!

I always use the pools almost every morning at around 6:30 in January and February.
One early morning in January it was 29 degrees. A real Florida cold snap. I still used the hot tub that morning, but not the pool!

I always use the pools almost every morning at around 6:30 in January and February.
One early morning in January it was 29 degrees. A real Florida cold snap. I still used the hot tub that morning, but not the pool!
Just to clarify for new folks,it is just the smaller "Leisure" Pools at the Moderate Resorts that are accessible that early.

The Main Pools usually open at 9:00 AM or 10:00 AM depending on the time of year.

And,in January there is always the chance you may encounter the below sign or a sign announcing reduced Pool hours(Noon-6:00 PM,etc.).

1702575839116.png

It depends on the weather. I always bring a bathing suit and use it around 50% of the time on winter trips. If nothing else, some resorts have hot tubs.

El Niño winter this year. Colder and wetter. 🥶

(Obviously an over-generalization but it does tend to impact weather patterns)

Is that what is going on? We are going next December and looking at this December's weather and surprised at how much it's been raining.

The last time we visited during January was late January 2020. The weather was not great - little sun and it was chilly (50’s during the day). That was no great inducement for us to use the pool, but there were folks who did (not many though). I remember going to Geyser Point in the early evening and everyone was bundled up.

On the brighter side, we have visited in early February with temps in the high 80’s.

I try and swim about every three or four days. That being said our pools are heated to 89°. If I recall, and this may have changed due to all the cost cutting, Disney pools used to be heated to 83°. Kids usually swim even with ice cubes floating in the water so there's that! I would swim there and just bring a hoodie for the walk back to the room.

January is hit or miss. You might have a day or two to enjoy the pool but I wouldn't bank on every day. One January, we were literally in winter coats, hats and gloves to watch the fireworks. Florida doesn't typically see 50 degrees but it can.

January is hit or miss. You might have a day or two to enjoy the pool but I wouldn't bank on every day. One January, we were literally in winter coats, hats and gloves to watch the fireworks. Florida doesn't typically see 50 degrees but it can.
The coldest I have EVER been was December,2010 at WDW the night it hit 22 degrees!

The wind blowing across World Showcase Lagoon was BRUTAL.

We were dressed like we were in Antartica!lol

1703349637125.png

I wear shorts when it’s 50 degrees in Nebraska…lol

We always take our swim shorts on January, just in case as the weather can be hit or miss. 😎

We went the last week of January and were headed back this January too. Me and my kids swam last year 2 or 3 days last year and it was fine. I have some resort days built in so we plan on swimming this time to. We’re from Maryland and the kids will swim in our pool from early may to late September I’m a baby and don’t like it that cold but doesn’t bother them.

It really just depends on the weather. We are locals and we typically to to the waterpark several times in December and we haven't been at all this month because it has been cooler this year. The lows in the next 10 days are 40s and 50s and the highs 60s to low 70s, which is great for visiting the parks. Not as great for swimming.

One day last week was in the 50s and sunny, the pool was fine from 11-2pm. We actually felt warm lying out in the sun. Other days were in the 60s with many people enjoying the heated pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter