Dietary restrictions at DL

Shakthi

Mouseketeer
This isn't probably a common question but we'll be going this Christmas and someone in our group is on a very strict cholesterol-free diet for health reasons so we needed suggestions on what and where to find somethings that are appropriate. I thought someone that might have been in the same situation could give us some tips. Thank you.

You'll probably be able to work something out at the restaurants outside of the park (like Ralph Brennans, House of Blues, etc in DTD or Storytellers & Napa Rose in DGC). Inside the parks are a lot more what's on the menu only. From that point of view your best choices are probably Rocket Redds Pizza Port (salads), Bengal BarBQ (Meat & Veggie skewers) and maybe the Riverbelle Terrace (fruit salad). There's a link at the top of this forum to the menues from most of the dining locations in the resort, that might help with your planning.

Shakthi said:
This isn't probably a common question but we'll be going this Christmas and someone in our group is on a very strict cholesterol-free diet for health reasons so we needed suggestions on what and where to find somethings that are appropriate. I thought someone that might have been in the same situation could give us some tips. Thank you.

Does this person only eat fruits and veggies? What can one have on a cholesterol - free diet?

My DH is on a very low-fat diet for medical reasons, and we also worried about eating in the parks. Here are some things to note:

1. The food in the parks is really not bad. I thought we would have trouble finding something DH could eat, but it wasn't hard at all. Almost everywhere we went there were salads or chicken/turkey sandwiches.

2. You can always ask a CM at the restaurant for information on the item you are interested in. If they don't know, they can ask the chef, or they will ask the chef to come speak with you to help you order.

3. You also can call Disney Dining and ask to speak with the Head Chef. There is one for DL, and one for CA. Chef Ricky (DL) called me back and gave lots of good tips (including the above) for us in the park, and encouraged us to even ask for specially-prepared versions of menu items if necessary. That would require some advance notice, of course, but he said they really will bend over backward to serve you, so don't hesitate.

We actually ate in the park every day, never bothered to have specially prepared foods (though we did bring our own snacks in), and we ate well. Before the trip DH was sure he would be eating only salad greens all week long, but that wasn't the case at all. And just knowing that we COULD ask for help or special preparations if needed set our minds at ease.

Have the person on the restricted diet (assuming it's an adult, or their guardian) call to speak with the Head Chef for ideas on what they serve that fit within his/her restrictions. I was so glad I did!

PS. One more thing: We did not eat at the same place twice during our 8-day stay, and ate most of our meals in the park. So you won't be stuck with one food or one restaurant!

PSS. It's also helpful to review the menus for each restaurant beforehand. They're posted online, and it really helped us figure out where we wanted to eat and what sounded good!

I have a non-life threatening food allergy, but it can make life uncomfortable and I work arround it by eating primarly at priority seating resteraunts. I let them know when I make the seating arrangments. The server talks to us about it, then the chef comes out if need be. I've never had a problem getting what I need, even if it means that they cook something not on the menu for me. I got the impression that the chef was excited about a new challenge, and never once did I feel like I was being a problem customer.

minnietoo said:
Does this person only eat fruits and veggies? What can one have on a cholesterol - free diet?

In this case, he can have anything that DOESN"T contain animal fat in any amount or that is of vegetable origin with very low fat and caloric content. Basically, like you said fruits, veggies, limited amounts of fish and other things made without added oils. That is to say, special orders are better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter