Difficulty planning a trip

BroadwayHermione5

DIS Veteran
Hi all

Is anyone else having difficulties planning a trip?

We are looking into a land and sea trip and we have been looking and finding quotes from everywhere (I’m talking regular old Disney websites, Costco, Dreams, various other travel agencies). We are just finding it so difficult.

Also we NEVER thought we would see the day the contemporary cost less than Boardwalk. That was scary. (But hey we might try out the contemporary or wilderness lodge).

We’ve also had to have the discussion of renting points in the future. As much as we wouldn’t mind going back down to moderates between proximity to the parks and wanting the extra time in the parks it’s very telling we were spoiled in 2021).

Also? DLR was so much easier to plan last year even though we had never been!

Anyhoo that’s my freak out moment of the day. Hopefully someone can commiserate with me!

Also it’s too cold-I need to think of warmer weather!

BH5

I feel your pain….

in a month me and my parents will be in disneyworld first time since the pandemic and, oh boy…This trip was hard to organize and plan…..it took me ages to find an acceptable price for Beach club and after that, all the plan process as been kinda stressful (and, yet, I still don’t know how I will handle genie plus.…)

so, yes, I can really understand!

Don't bother looking for any packages, just book everything on your own. My advice is to start planning as far out as possible before booking. Too many leave it to the last minute, expecting to book within a day or two of planning and get frustrated with how much information they have to absorb at one time. I would break it down to make it easier.
Start with the cruise since that sells as set dates. Then decide if you want to go to WDW before or after. Book your hotel/tickets and your flights. Then you can get to the little details like making park and dining reservations, cruise excursions, and transportation.
Don't stress too much over which hotel you stay at. After 30 years of visits staying at all levels of resorts, they are all great trips and the hotel does not make or break a trip. The nicer ones are just gravy.

I feel your pain….

in a month me and my parents will be in disneyworld first time since the pandemic and, oh boy…This trip was hard to organize and plan…..it took me ages to find an acceptable price for Beach club and after that, all the plan process as been kinda stressful (and, yet, I still don’t know how I will handle genie plus.…)

so, yes, I can really understand!
I remember our settlement 2021 trip being on pins and needles because we knew genie plus was coming we just didn’t know when (and it was announced while we were there! We also had the last day of boarding groups for ROTR)!

My mom and aunt and I have stayed at all levels and my aunt and my dad while he never stayed at a value would not mind.

It’s just crazy with everything from inflation to post pandemic to never having done DCL before it’s all crazy!

I do hope you enjoy your trip! There is nothing like going on vacation period!

Don't bother looking for any packages, just book everything on your own. My advice is to start planning as far out as possible before booking. Too many leave it to the last minute, expecting to book within a day or two of planning and get frustrated with how much information they have to absorb at one time. I would break it down to make it easier.
Start with the cruise since that sells as set dates. Then decide if you want to go to WDW before or after. Book your hotel/tickets and your flights. Then you can get to the little details like making park and dining reservations, cruise excursions, and transportation.
Don't stress too much over which hotel you stay at. After 30 years of visits staying at all levels of resorts, they are all great trips and the hotel does not make or break a trip. The nicer ones are just gravy.
This is what we are thinking of for the land portion (we found a really great travel agent for the cruise portion..her knowledge on land wasn’t bad but she must not be listening as we said Wildnerness Lodge and she’s talking about golf carts at Fort Wilderness🤦🏼‍♀️). My mom is just frustrated because booking DLR through Costco was a breeze and we are finding it’s easier to call WDW ourselves as opposed to any other party.

I am the planner. We already know where we want to eat for land. When that 60 days hit I will be up at 5:30. I’ll take my dog out and then plop down with my breakfast and stare at the computer until I have to go to work lolololol.

I completely agree about hotels. However knowing our limits the past few years comfort is also of utmost importance. While it would be a bummer to not do deluxe after being spoiled by Boardwalk, we understand we might have to do moderate. The problem is all of them are so spread out and as much as we love POR, it’s so far away from everything except springs.

So right now it’s between Coronado (hopefully the tower-it’s not that much more money and truth be told I’d rather be comfy and close), Wilderness, and contemporary. My mom will ask about Swolphin but we had issues on every site (I even had my friend who is a Marriott rewards member check and he had issues. The man never has issues lol).

Either way, it’s a big celebratory trip, and I’ll be on my first cruise ever and it will be with DCL!

This is what we are thinking of for the land portion (we found a really great travel agent for the cruise portion..her knowledge on land wasn’t bad but she must not be listening as we said Wildnerness Lodge and she’s talking about golf carts at Fort Wilderness🤦🏼‍♀️). My mom is just frustrated because booking DLR through Costco was a breeze and we are finding it’s easier to call WDW ourselves as opposed to any other party.

I am the planner. We already know where we want to eat for land. When that 60 days hit I will be up at 5:30. I’ll take my dog out and then plop down with my breakfast and stare at the computer until I have to go to work lolololol.

I completely agree about hotels. However knowing our limits the past few years comfort is also of utmost importance. While it would be a bummer to not do deluxe after being spoiled by Boardwalk, we understand we might have to do moderate. The problem is all of them are so spread out and as much as we love POR, it’s so far away from everything except springs.

So right now it’s between Coronado (hopefully the tower-it’s not that much more money and truth be told I’d rather be comfy and close), Wilderness, and contemporary. My mom will ask about Swolphin but we had issues on every site (I even had my friend who is a Marriott rewards member check and he had issues. The man never has issues lol).

Either way, it’s a big celebratory trip, and I’ll be on my first cruise ever and it will be with DCL!
The Port Orleans resort are actually in a pretty good location. Even though you need to bus to the parks, most of them are only 10-15 minutes away. Only AK is far out, but that is true for most of the resorts. I can understand the frustration of booking a more complicated vacation, but that is the nature of some place like WDW. It is like it's own city so it will take a bit more effort, but it's worth it.

The Port Orleans resort are actually in a pretty good location. Even though you need to bus to the parks, most of them are only 10-15 minutes away. Only AK is far out, but that is true for most of the resorts. I can understand the frustration of booking a more complicated vacation, but that is the nature of some place like WDW. It is like it's own city so it will take a bit more effort, but it's worth it.
Very true.

Our biggest issue with POR too is there have been times where every other bus has gone by and we were still waiting.

And then we’d be crammed in one bus (I think it was in 2015 or 2017 we were waiting at DHS for over an hour (one POFQ bus had just pulled away as us and easily 250 others for both POR and FQ made it to the depot). When that bus pulled up, the driver said to us “listen I am going to do my best. I am going to ask all scooters to wait as I have dispatched another couple of buses for you all to both Riverside and French Quarter. I am asking that we get as many people safely on here as possible and I will get you back”. He kept his promise. There was easily 150 of us packed in this bus and at each stop in riverside he would wait for people to get back on who were on the bus and just waiting for their stop and didn’t let any other humans on. He wanted to get us back. And he did. We wrote an applauseogram for him and told the front desk at POR what just happened. The rest of the trip riverside had zero issues for buses lol) and the cramming just wasn’t worth it.

Granted even at Boardwalk and the all stars they were crammed too depending on the park, but we would much rather be in a more central location.

Hi all

Is anyone else having difficulties planning a trip?

We are looking into a land and sea trip and we have been looking and finding quotes from everywhere (I’m talking regular old Disney websites, Costco, Dreams, various other travel agencies). We are just finding it so difficult.

Also we NEVER thought we would see the day the contemporary cost less than Boardwalk. That was scary. (But hey we might try out the contemporary or wilderness lodge).

We’ve also had to have the discussion of renting points in the future. As much as we wouldn’t mind going back down to moderates between proximity to the parks and wanting the extra time in the parks it’s very telling we were spoiled in 2021).

Also? DLR was so much easier to plan last year even though we had never been!

Anyhoo that’s my freak out moment of the day. Hopefully someone can commiserate with me!

Also it’s too cold-I need to think of warmer weather!

BH5

We are pretty much exclusively renting DVC these days and it has worked out really well for us. Just make sure you check your cancellation policies, get the travel insurance if you want it/need it, and enjoy. Also, Wilderness Lodge is an awesome resort. Park transport is slightly less convenient than some other resorts, but I just love how peaceful it is there after a long crazy park day.

We are pretty much exclusively renting DVC these days and it has worked out really well for us. Just make sure you check your cancellation policies, get the travel insurance if you want it/need it, and enjoy. Also, Wilderness Lodge is an awesome resort. Park transport is slightly less convenient than some other resorts, but I just love how peaceful it is there after a long crazy park day.
Our next time to Disney will most likely be CA again after this trip, but renting points is something we are looking into. We always take travel insurance (we are a family of worriers lol but hey that travel insurance helped during my senior year of college when my choir trip to Ireland involved me in a walking boot due to a broken ankle-got a wheelchair and accessible rooms for no extra cost!)

We did decide on Gran Destino for this trip as it’s land and sea (plus we heard amazing things about it) so we just needed convenience. But one day I will stay at wilderness!

Very true.

Our biggest issue with POR too is there have been times where every other bus has gone by and we were still waiting.

And then we’d be crammed in one bus (I think it was in 2015 or 2017 we were waiting at DHS for over an hour (one POFQ bus had just pulled away as us and easily 250 others for both POR and FQ made it to the depot). When that bus pulled up, the driver said to us “listen I am going to do my best. I am going to ask all scooters to wait as I have dispatched another couple of buses for you all to both Riverside and French Quarter. I am asking that we get as many people safely on here as possible and I will get you back”. He kept his promise. There was easily 150 of us packed in this bus and at each stop in riverside he would wait for people to get back on who were on the bus and just waiting for their stop and didn’t let any other humans on. He wanted to get us back. And he did. We wrote an applauseogram for him and told the front desk at POR what just happened. The rest of the trip riverside had zero issues for buses lol) and the cramming just wasn’t worth it.

Granted even at Boardwalk and the all stars they were crammed too depending on the park, but we would much rather be in a more central location.
I prefer POFQ for the size. Only one bus stop and it is the first stop if they are sharing with POR, except for the DS bus.

I prefer POFQ for the size. Only one bus stop and it is the first stop if they are sharing with POR, except for the DS bus.
We want to stay there but love the skyliner access so we have not been able to give up POP Century, yet.

Who do you get travel insurance through with renting DVC points?

Don't count out Swolphin. It can sometimes be much cheaper than Disney and it counts as deluxe for the late hours.

Most won't cover any expenses related to a time share. The insurance would cover other losses though.
That is why I ask. I have read of one poster using John Hancock and they paid off for a DVC rental, but that is the one and only I have read of.

Am I missing something here? DVC rental prices seem so much cheaper and there must be a catch besides no cancellation?? (newbie here also having trouble planning)

Am I missing something here? DVC rental prices seem so much cheaper and there must be a catch besides no cancellation?? (newbie here also having trouble planning)
There is a chance that the owner is unethical and cancels on you and walks with your money. But using a third party company helps insulate against that. I wouldn't trust some random person on facebook.

There is a chance that the owner is unethical and cancels on you and walks with your money. But using a third party company helps insulate against that. I wouldn't trust some random person on facebook.
This is my biggest fear and why I've never decided to go this route, but with the way pricing is now it may be the best bet for us for our first trip since 2017. We are patiently awaiting 2024 pricing to be released next week

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter