Dilemma. . . What should I do?

What should I do?

• Go with SIL, making my husband take his vacation

• Go with SIL, DH, and kids (ages 2.5 yrs. and 4mo)

• Cancel

Results are only viewable after voting.

nuts4wdw

Have a disney day!!!
Hi, this might be kinda long, but here it goes. My SIL (never been to WDW) and I were planning to go to WDW this fall 02, and leave my son (who will be 2.5 y.o. at the time) with my husband in the evenings, weekend, and two personal leave days at home. That would only leave 3 days that I would have to ask my mother to watch him (my son). Well, I just found out that I'm pregnant due in July, so the baby will be about 4 months old. So, I asked my mom to watch both the kids for three days, just while my husband is at work, I even offered her $25 a day to watch both of them. She said "No, I can't believe you're leaving your babies to go to Disney World!" So, I have three options: go, and have my husband have to take his vacation to watch the kids, have my husband and kids join SIL and I (but I was looking forward to a girls week away) or Cancel. I also am feeling very guilty of even wanting to take this trip. What should I do?:confused:

I say go as planned and have your husband watch the kids. It will be a good experience for them to have some time alone with Daddy. When my daughter was 10 mths old I went out to California for 5 days to attend my brother's wedding. My husband took time off and took them to Florida to visit a relative. They had a great time!

I vote for the girls week away!
I did this one weekend on a trip to Michigan. My husband stayed home with our 1 and 2 yr olds while I went to visit an aunt of mine. All of the women in the family went.
It was a great week and very refreshing!
Go and have a good time...after having a new baby, you deserve some personal time for yourself! :)
My kids enjoyed their time with Dad and it showed them that he could be as much fun as Mom is! I think the Dad even enjoyed the time also!

i agree. i think that your husband would enjoy the dad only time, the kids will love it, you will get a most refreshing break, and your husband will have a new found appreciation of your job!!!! (an extra added bonus for you)

I didn't vote because I didn't know how your husband felt. If he were definitely against, I'd say no. Otherwise, it could be a great trip without the kids.

Just to add to my post. My husband is encouraging me to go and enjoy myself. I still don't know though, thanks so far for your posts. I love reading your opinions, and look forward to more. Thanks.

If I were you, I would take advantage of your situation, go and have a great time! I have a 16 month old DD and I have left her with my husband on several occasions. They both had a great time and really bonded. My husband enjoyed spending time alone with his daughter because he works so much the rest of the time.

I have asked my mother to watch our DD overnight and she has always refused. She always tells me that she can't believe that I am leaving DH and DD to go away on a weekend. I always ask my husband if he wants to go with me and take along DD but he tells me to go and have a great time! So, I do!

Denise

I feel sad that your mother won't help you, but if your husband has enough vacation and is willing to use it, I say go. Your husband better than anyone knows that you are a good Mom and it sounds like he thinks you need or deserve a break.

EDIT: SORRY THIS IS LONG, I HAVE STRONG THOUGHTS ON THIS.

I am again reminded of how lucky I am. My parents always believed that people need different types of vacations. There is family time, couple time and personal time and we all need a blend. I had grandparents who agreed and loved to be with us (I assume that they did since they kept coming back!). I am one of 4 kids within 6 years of age so my mommy was very busy. She was (still is) a great mom, and i think that some balance is why she was so good. I had one set of grandparents who lived close bye, they had some or all of us at least once a week. My grandfather would come get us for a few hours and just take us on errands (the bank, stores, etc.). My grandmother would keep us overnite some weekends. It was a treat when it was my turn.

We always took a family vacation in the summer to visit my other grandparents who lived about 5 hours away. They lived in a mountain area and had a boat, so we would go to lakes and picinic and boat. Sometimes we would camp for a few days. These were "cheap" and great fun family times. Then about once a year there was some sort of other trip. They seemed to alternate. Some years my folks would go away and my grandparents would drive down and stay for the week. These trips were as much fun for us as my parents. We loved being spoiled for the week. Other times we would go away as a family (Disney of course, Williamsburg, Canada, New England, the beach etc.). When I got a little older, my parents added individual trips to the mix, Dad would golf with friends, Mom would visit her sister, etc. We particularly loved when Mom went away because my Dad never followed her "instructions". We would go out to eat, stay up a bit too late, etc.

Now that we are all grown and have our own kids, my mother babysits someone at least 3 or 4 times a week. She answers the phone at 6 am when my SIL or I call and say "my kid is too sick to go to daycare", she watches my sisters kids so she can work one day a week, she will take my DS on a Saturday for that wedding we are going to and tell us not to worry about coming back- just get him tommorrow, and she watches our kids so we can go on vacation. My husband and I went to Hawaii, my Brother and SIL went to the Bahamas, my sister is going to florida.

Robsmom,
Can I have your parents? "We never had babysitters for you guys. Why do you think you need to leave them?"

My parents took my daughter once when she was younger, six I think. I guess it was too much work, because they've never agreed to do it again. They absolutely refuse to take our son. First is was "What if he has trouble with his asthma?" Then it was, "Well, he's not dry through the night yet, is he?" - but he wore Goodnights. Now they can't give me a good reason. They wouldn't consider keeping our toddler. All of this would make since if they didn't know or feel comfortable around kids, but my mom has a daycare (and the kids adore her) and my dad makes a point of holding the kids when he comes home from work. I just don't get it. These are the three oldest grandkids. Thanks for letting me vent.

Not to make you feel worse, but I didnt' even mention that my in-laws live less than 30 minutes away. They are significantly older than my parents and aren't comfortable babysitting for a long period of time or overnites but they will come for a few hours and once a month or so they come to our house and stay with us for all or part of the weekend. My DS thinks my FIL is his favorite playmate. Usually, we stay here, but sometimes we jump out for a quick movie or something like that. Even when they are here it is great because i can get stuff done.

LIs

Robsmom, what I like about your responses is that you realize how lucky you are. So many people that have relatives nearby don't appreciate them. Some of my friends just take that kind of love and attention for the grandkids for granted.

At least I'm learning what kind of grandparent I want to be. :)

Including a few cousins, we have a total of 6 sets of parents with kids (almost all toddlers). When the grandma's aren't helping we try to cover for each other. I always try to make sure I reciprocate. My sister's 2 daughters are coming for about 6 hours tonight because she and her husband need to go somewhere. Originally, she was watching my cousin's son during the day today and then my cousin was staying at her house this evening, but I got a call at 10am that my cousin was sick so we changed the plans. I always say yes, because they always help me!!!

Although I think your "all girls" week sounds like fun, being a mommy again to a new little one may give you different feeling about going after the baby is born. All those hormones at work and the neediness of your little one will play a part in your decision and you may not know that until after the baby is born. Could you postpone the trip a while to a spring or summer of next year? That way you still have a "girl's week" to look forward to but the baby will be older. A 4 month old can be quite a bit to handle for your mom especially along with another one to watch. Breastfeeding, if you are going to, may make things a bit more complicated. You will have to pump milk continuously and have enough of a supply for DH and your mom to give to the baby. At 4 months my DD was still up at night that may be a bit rough on DH by himself. That's why I'm mentioning on just postponing your trip not canceling.

As aguy, I have one question. Can DH hubby handle the kids? If he can, don't let the door hit you on the butt on your way to WDW!!!!:D

Well, I've almost decided. Your replies have been wonderful, and very encouraging. I think that I will continue the plans to go with my SIL. My husband is excited about staying home for a week with the kids, I suggested maybe my MIL could help out so he wouldn't take his vacation and he said "don't you worry about me, you just go have fun besides I'll go when the kids are bigger and can enjoy it more." Which translates as "I am looking forward to not having to work." My SIL is like a little kid at Christmastime with anticipation (she's never been to any Disney park). As for leaving the baby. My husband and I took a trip to FL when my first son was 4.5 months old and left him with my mom and my grandma, I missed him, but it was nice to be an adult again and I came back refreshed. So, I don't think that it'll be that different this time, and I'm only nursing for a couple of months by the time I go the baby will be on the bottle. I'm not positive, but my husband is encouraging me and my kids will love me whether I go or not :) Thank you for your opinions and please feel free to continue to persuade my decisions I really enjoy reading them and they really are helping me out.

Well, I don't know what I would do, but here is what two of my friends recently did...

The first friend had triplets in July and went with her husband to Oktoberfest in Munich in September of that year. She left all three two-month-olds with her mother. She felt no guilt whatsoever and had a wonderful escape for a week. And, yes, her three children love her as much as ever!

The second friend had a baby at the end of May and took a cruise with her mother (who lives in another country) two weeks later. She left her new (bottlefed) baby, along with her toddler son, with her husband for four days. They had a blast too.

Don't forget, Mommies need TLC, too! Enjoy the trip, and bring something special back for your mom and husband!

Okay... I have mixed feelings about this... I am all for a girls time away.... my husband encourages it as well, BUT I am not sure I could ever go to WDW without my DS, DD, & DH. I know that my DH would take time off from work to help out... but I know he would rather take a family vacation (he just wouldn't come out and say it). How about a happy medium... take a family vaca to WDW and take a weekend trip with you SIL to a spa or something??? ;)

I say go on vacation with everyone and plan special outtings for you and SIL. I couldn't leave a 4 month old at home for a week, but thats just me.

Its really up to you and DH. Since he's encouraging you to go, it sounds as though he's willing to take the vacation time.

What I would do personally maybe different, but like I said, its really between your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter