Dining Options: Mixing It up or Tried & True?

beck00

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide when and where to work in something new! We are headed back at end of Aug-beginning of Sept for what will be our family's 5th trip, each time with dining plan. Usually we have in laws and their families in tow to make the group 8-13 people. This time it's just hubs and me with our two daughters (11 & 6), and they'll be helping me celebrate my bday. We're looking at branching out on our dining choices if I can get some ideas of what else to try. I feel like we end up at same places each trip (even though that's not too bad cause they are awesome!)

Here are my notes so far. Can you guys please give me some feedback or ideas??

Storybook Dining (dinner)-feel like this is a must! We JUST missed it at Thanksgiving since it opened in Dec.
Be Our Guest - lunch
Cinderella’s Royal Table (early dinner)- went very first fam trip in 2014 and my youngest had what ended up being croup at the time so I spent the whole meal holding her, worth trying again???

Via Napoli (dinner)- we’ve been twice but love it!
Maybe we should try something else in EPCOT? Teppan Edo? I don't know that we'd like Beirgarten. Where else?

Tusker House - breakfast (have done twice but also another fave)
or Yak & Yeti for dinner (we always put it on list, then scrap it for something else)

We usually try to do a mix of old and new. For the next trip, we decided to switch our Epcot favorites with new places at DS. And we decided to eat at AKL on our AK day. We have done Tusker House every year for the past 6 years, but decided to skip it in the future. We really only went to meet the characters as we are not buffet fans. Of course, now we will have to find another character meal with Mickey and the gang. We like to get that done with a meal instead of waiting in lines.

A lot of our favorites combine atmosphere and good food. Biergarten isn't one of our favorites for food(another buffet), but it is such a cool experience. They have a great polka band, and a little dance floor. San Angel Inn has a great atmosphere. Sci-Fi Dine In has some of the best themeing in WDW. So, I think it's worth it to take some calculated risks.

I personally like to try at least one new place each trip. With so many restaurants, that is easy to do. We also have to have at least one old favorite.

We are also trying out Storybook Dining next month. I can't wait for that one.

I think Be Our Guest is a good option for lunch especially if you haven't eaten there before. The restaurant is beautiful. CRT is a good option. It is two credits so you have to weigh if that is worth it for you.

We love Via Napoli too. I think Teppan Edo is good, but it isn't anything more special than your local Hibachi place. Beirgarten is fun if you like German food. I'm not a huge fan of German food, but the entertainment is really fun. Keep in mind you will be sitting at huge tables with other families so that can sometimes be award depending on your personality. We also really liked Garden Grill for breakfast (if you get a PPO- you could ride Soarin' before park opening or be among the first in line).

We are big fans of Tusker House. We have eaten there countless times. I have to say, we also really liked Yak & Yeti. I haven't eaten at Yak & Yeti for dinner, but we really enjoyed our lunch there.

I like a mixture of been there, done that with new restaurants on each trip.

I'd explore a bit more of Epcot since there are so many cuisines represented there.

Along with VN my traveling kiddos (ages 10 and 13 currently) enjoy Tokyo Dining Over TE probably because there are hibachi restaurants in their hometowns and one adores tempura while the other could eat his weight in sushi. We ate at Chefs de France on an adult trip and will be bringing DGD and her bestie there this April; nice atmosphere and menu for everyday meals and celebrations. The Morocco Pavilion has 3 nice restaurants for you to choose from all at different price points. There are a few restaurants at Mexico Pavilion that many DISsers enjoy. We have never eaten at any as the man is not a fan of Mexican food.
I'd just pick a cuisine I think my family would enjoy and plunge in; hard to make a bad choice at Epcot.

At AK, the family has eaten at Yak and Yeti and Tiffins but not yet Tusker House. We enjoyed both venues.

At HS, we enjoy HBD restaurant as well as the lounge for dinner or lunch. The lounge is not on the dining plan so keep that in mind.

When visiting MK we generally eat at the monorail resorts or new to us Wilderness Lodge's Geyser Point. As such I am opinion-less about the restaurants you choose there same for the character dining experience at Artist's Point. My kiddos have no interest in character dining.
Don't forget Disney Springs. It's become the new Epcot when it comes to food. Lots of choices and fun street experiences like musicians, and fantastical makeup parties.

Last edited:

Next trip we are trying a bunch of new places! That's the plan anyways.

Biergarten
Chefs De France
Enzo's Hideaway or Trattoria Al Forno
BoatHouse
Yak and Yeti
La Hacienda
Homecoming
Flying Fish or maybe Ale and Compass
Boma

That's an ever changing list, but those are all new to us (except I did go to La Hacienda in 2011) Maybe Spice Road Table, but that's a repeat.

I always say, this time, trying all new ADRs...but so often end up with old favs! Lol!
Next trip, finally adding a new on, Tiffins. And a new experience with the Rose and Crown Illuminations dinner.
Even though R&C will not be new. Thinking of canceling Biergarten for someth8ng new too.
Especially since the lunch price is now the same as the dinner price.

We will be adding Storybook Dining, Yak & Yeti, and Chefs De France (forgot about this one, so thanks to PP) to our ADR list. Thanks everyone!!

I am debating “tried and true vs shiney and new” for my upcoming trip. DH really wants to go back to Biergarten and Boma but with so much new, I do not know how to fit them in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter