• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining reservations scarce

KayKayJS

DIS Veteran
This is our first trip since COVID where we would be making reservations (most of party if not all will be vaccinated), and I'm just finding very little of anything available. It's my daughter's first trip so I wanted to try and get Chef mickeys or toppolinos, be our guest, something, and in the past I was able to if I was extremely flexible on time/day.

Those who have been recently - is this because they are spacing out tables so there is less availability? Or because spots are held back due to waitlist? I am guessing waitlisting in person may be our best option each day.

Forgive me for my ignorance on this - I have not been keeping up with WDW since I haven't been in the parks for over a year.
Thanks!

This is our first trip since COVID where we would be making reservations (most of party if not all will be vaccinated), and I'm just finding very little of anything available. It's my daughter's first trip so I wanted to try and get Chef mickeys or toppolinos, be our guest, something, and in the past I was able to if I was extremely flexible on time/day.

Those who have been recently - is this because they are spacing out tables so there is less availability? Or because spots are held back due to waitlist? I am guessing waitlisting in person may be our best option each day.

Forgive me for my ignorance on this - I have not been keeping up with WDW since I haven't been in the parks for over a year.
Thanks!
Spots are not held back for the walk up waitlist. The most popular restaurants often do not have same day waitlist availability.

It is harder to book those restaurants because (1) crowds are picking back up; (2) restaurant tables are spaced apart loweing capacity; (3) fewer character meals means the ones still there are more pooular; (4) unlike the old 180 mark which was too early for a lot of people to plan, more guests have trips booked at 60 days so you are competing against more people for the limited dining spots.

For Chef Mickey and Topolino’s an added consideration is that with later opening times at some parks, people can book a resort breakfast without sacrificing rope drop.

You just need to keep looking. We leave in a week and a half and I just booked our first meal yesterday. Another opening came up today for another restaurant my daughter requested. So it’s possible with some diligence.

Is there a certain time to try each day? I've been wanting to eat at Sci-Fi but have been unable to get it since reopening. It looks like it's NEVER available, even 60 days out. And I don't want to use one of my 3 park reservations for a day 60 days out.

Is there a certain time to try each day? I've been wanting to eat at Sci-Fi but have been unable to get it since reopening. It looks like it's NEVER available, even 60 days out. And I don't want to use one of my 3 park reservations for a day 60 days out.
No, reservations enter inventory in the system within a minute or two of being cancelled by someone else, so it can happen any time of day or night. The best times to look would be 1-2 weeks ahead if your trip. Disney extends park hours around the 2 week mark, and then a few days later drops new reservations for the extended hours, and people rebook their ADRs accordingly. After that, try again a few days before you want to go and especially the day before because people cancel to avoid the same-day cancellation penalty.

You should absolutely make your park passes though since HS park passes tend to sell out. Then just keep trying for the day(s) you book HS.

No, reservations enter inventory in the system within a minute or two of being cancelled by someone else, so it can happen any time of day or night. The best times to look would be 1-2 weeks ahead if your trip. Disney extends park hours around the 2 week mark, and then a few days later drops new reservations for the extended hours, and people rebook their ADRs accordingly. After that, try again a few days before you want to go and especially the day before because people cancel to avoid the same-day cancellation penalty.

You should absolutely make your park passes though since HS park passes tend to sell out. Then just keep trying for the day(s) you book HS.

I meant at the 60 day mark. Like what time will reservations for May 11 open up tonight/tomorrow? It seems like that’s the only way to get them.

I live here so making reservations that far out means I can’t use them in the mean time.

Touring Plans Reservation Finder is not free. A membership costs about $20 a year.

I meant at the 60 day mark. Like what time will reservations for May 11 open up tonight/tomorrow? It seems like that’s the only way to get them.

I live here so making reservations that far out means I can’t use them in the mean time.
Sorry, misunderstood! 6:00am on the app/website; 7:00am by phone 60 days before.

ADRs are really hard to get. We are going for Easter and my wife was up at 6:00am at the 60 day window to make the reservations. I thought she was crazy and going way over board, especially since she made me help her. Boy was I wrong (music to her ears, lol)! Locations were filling up as we were trying to book them. We had to quickly pick alternative times for some high demand places. It all worked out and we got everything we wanted, but I have zero doubt that all the ADRs were completely booked by the end of that day. Actually, they were probably booked within a few hours. Crazy.

Last edited:
ADRs are really hard to get. We are going for Easter and my wife was up at 6:00am at the 60 day window to make the reservations. I thought she was crazy and going way over board, especially since she made me help her. Boy was I wrong (music to her ears, lol)! Locations were filling up as we were trying to book them. We can to quickly pick alternative times for some high demand places. It all worked out and we got everything we wanted, but I have zero doubt that all the ADRs were completely booked by the end of that day. Actually, they were probably booked within a few hours. Crazy.

That's what it seems like! We're inside of 60 days so that's likely part of my problem. I will just keep checking and I did subscribe to one of the reservation finder services so here's hoping I can get some sort of character meal for my little one!

We are staying at Yacht Club and I failed to book Beaches and Cream in time. I check multiple times a day for dinner (all we want is the ice cream!) reservations. I'm checking across 8 days and can vouch the headliner restaurants are not coming available April 3-10. I feel like we will get Beaches and Cream when people start cancelling. Hopefully you'll find late availability on those top tier restaurants you want.

We are staying at Yacht Club and I failed to book Beaches and Cream in time. I check multiple times a day for dinner (all we want is the ice cream!) reservations. I'm checking across 8 days and can vouch the headliner restaurants are not coming available April 3-10. I feel like we will get Beaches and Cream when people start cancelling. Hopefully you'll find late availability on those top tier restaurants you want.
I think you can get ice cream from the take out window.

For what it’s worth, some restaurants on Disney property aren’t Disney owned and you can try calling them direct to make reservations, even if on the Disney reservation site there are none showing. There were no openings at all for Yak & Yeti or Homecomin’ online, but just yesterday I called each restaurant direct and was easily able to secure reservations for 4 people at the exact times I wanted.

For what it’s worth, some restaurants on Disney property aren’t Disney owned and you can try calling them direct to make reservations, even if on the Disney reservation site there are none showing. There were no openings at all for Yak & Yeti or Homecomin’ online, but just yesterday I called each restaurant direct and was easily able to secure reservations for 4 people at the exact times I wanted.

I have been trying to get Yak and Yeti but no luck. Can I ask what number you used?

I have been trying to get Yak and Yeti but no luck. Can I ask what number you used?
This number calls the restaurant directly (407) 824-9384. Our vacation is the end of April, if yours is sooner it may be more difficult to get a reservation. If they do not have anything, ask if you were to get a Landry Select card if it would help (it costs $25 but then you get a $25 credit when you use it at the restaurant).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter