Dining reviews

jjohnson

DIS Veteran
My DDE/DP comparison review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just returned Saturday night from our trip. Overall we had a good time & delicious meals. We stayed 3 nights at BWI deluxe concierge the first 3 nights then switched for the remaining 4 nights at SSR. We were on the DP at SSR & also used my DDE throughout the week which was purchased last year so it was a real bargin getting to use it for a second trip.

Cast:
ME: 40 total Disney nut
DH: 47 puts up with my obsession prefers sitdown meals
DSD: 17 I consider this her first trip as she was 3 the last time she went, spent 1 day in MK & refused to go on any rides. Will try most anything & big reason why I went with the DP.
DS: turned 13 during our trip slightly picky & doesn't like to try new foods.
DD: 10 DP has ruined any hope of her ordering off the children's menu again.
DS: 9 Mr. Easygoing & will eat most anything.

Totals are before tip. I ususually add the 20% DDE discount to the CM.

5/27/06
dinner:
Cape May Cafe- 4

We arrived at 5:30 & were seated at 5:50. I know CMC gets mixed reviews this was our 3rd dinner here & everything was hot & fresh as always.

TOTAL: $120.94
DDE savings: $28.39

5/28/06
Lunch:
Sci-fi- 4
Arrived at 12:15 & seated at 12:40 (place was a ZOO!)
I ate the reuben sandwich & everyone else had burgers. The girls shared a side of onion rings. No complaints-all good. CM heard it was DS birthday & brought out a free hot fudge sundae while everyone sang

TOTAL: $62.77
DDE savings: $14.73

Dinner:
Mama Melrose (only because my DS13 loved the flatbread)
Arrived at 6:45 & seated at 7:15 food arrived at 8:00. My mom & BF joined us for DS's Bday dinner. I've read mixed reviews here & decided to try it for ourselves. Mom BF ME & DD17 all ordered & split the Fra Diavolo. I ordered mild & my Mom spicy. DH had chicken parm, DD & DS9 KM pasta/butter. Fra Diavolo had no flavor & seafood rubbery, chicken parm overcooked & pasta swimming in a bowl of melted butter. Only DS13 was happy with his birthday dinner. After an awful meal at H&V last year, we'll eat out of the park next year. I give up.

TOTAL: $88.77
DDE savings: $17.20

5/29/06
LUNCH:
LeCellier 5
We had a ADR for 3:00 but everyone was hungry at 1:00 I stopped by & someone had just cancelled for a party of 6
LeCellier is as wonderful as you all have said it is. Service & food were perfect. I had the french dip with Cappuccio shake. DH & DS13 both had the chicken sandwich. DSD17 cheese soup & salmon salad. DD10 childrens steak with extra side of corn. DS9 KM chicken nuggets.

TOTAL: $75.72
DDE savings: $17.77

DINNER:
Rainforest Cafe (not even a 1/2 thumb)
I had collected $75 in gift cards thru mypoints & DD10 loved RFC in DL so we went. Very bad service. We waited over an hour for our food. Just as we were about to leave it arrived. We should have kept walking. Food cold & service non-exsistant. DH's burger was black. YUCK!!!

TOTAL: $84.70
AP DISCOUNT: $5.00
GC: $75.00

5/30/06
Breakfast:
Spoodles 5
We all ordered the breakfast platter. Great food & great service. I Spoodles.

TOTAL: $57.39
DDE savings: $13.47

At this point we switch over to SSR & the DP so let me give you some figures.I did not keep track of the gazillion bottles of water we purchased in the parks or snacks.

TOTAL 3 nights: $513.72 (this figure includes tips so I can compare)
Dining plan would have cost $600 for the 6 of us but we would have had to switch 3 TS for 3 CS.

LUNCH:
Artist Palette 3
We used 5 CS here as I wasn't hungry. 3 chicken strip meals, Pepperoni flatbread, 1 caesar salad w/chicken, 1 choc. croissant, 1 cinnamon bun, 1 choc. cake, 1 strawberry cheesecake, 3 Powerades, 2 cokes. Wow...this is alot of food. Everyone finished their meals but saved the croissant & bun for breakfast the next day.

COST: $63.66
5 CS

DINNER:
Raglan Road 4
Maybe it's me but CM didn't seem too thrilled at first when I told her we were on the DP but eventually warmed up to us. Possibly all the Harp beer we ordered to boost her tip. DH got slightly carried away & left her enough for her own night out. Kids were not thrilled with the menu & no one wanted to order off the adult menu & DD10 was refusing to eat (hence the round of beers for the adults-long day) so I decided to only use 3 TS & have them order KM. DH ordered the Dalkey Duo & steak, DD17 the Salmon forest & Salmon of knowlege, I ordered the crab me silly & salmon too. DD9 ordered the KM fish sticks & DS13 a hamburger. We all enjoyed our meal DD17 gets the award for best appetizer (this will continue to happen the rest of our trip)

COST: $80.25
3 TS
OOP: $71.52

5/31/06
BREAKFAST:
Donald's breakfastosaurus 5

Arrived at 10:00 seated at 10:10. Great breakfast. All food hot & fresh. Kids loved the breakfast pizza. Server wonderful & each character took their time with us while the server took a picture. This one is a keeper.

COST: $115
5 TS
OOP: $11.87
DDE: $2.20

DINNER:
Concorse Steakhouse 3
Arrived at 6:00 & seated at 6:45. I had asked for a booth & thought that was the reason for the delay in being seated but we were put at a table in the middle & were told the booths are for 4 (never mind the fact we were in one last year & the table is bigger) but oh well on to the food. Server seemed thrilled to hear we were on the plan & told us up front smoothies were included in the plan. I ordered coke for the kids & told the server I would pay for the glow cubes OOP. DD ordered a strawberry smoothie, DH beer & a glass a Blue Diamond Merlot for myself. DH ordered the mozzarella salad, ribeye & KM brownie sundae, Me shrimp cocktail,the special of the night which was suppossed to be a chowder but when served it was 2 deep fried soft shell crabs that I couldn't bring myself to eat. The server noticed & asked if I would like something else so i ordered the filet. To my embarrassment the chef delivered it personally & asked that I try it. We'll I ordered it medium but it was still purple when I cut it. I didn't say anything & the chef seemed just as embarrassed as I . When it was brought out a 2nd time it was perfect. DD17 the shellfish bisque & filet. DS13 onion rings, NY strip steak,choc. milkshake. DD10 honey wings, ribeye, painters palette. DD9 shimp cocktail, hamburger, painters palette. DD17 & I both had the creme brulee for dessert/not so good. Overall all was good enough that we would return again. DH started to dislike the DP at this point. Too much food & too much time eating it. We had planned to go to MK for Spectro but ended up missing it.

COST: $274.35
6 TS
DDE savings: $3.35
OOP: $22.30

(This report in turning out to be much longer than I thought-Sorry)

6/1
DD17 missed the safari yesterday so I took her back. DH took the kids to AP for breakfast & ordered 2 adult platters & 1 breakfast sandwich, 1 bagel. I don't have the receipt but DH said it was around $25.00

3 CS

LUNCH:
Lottawatta lodge
DD17 stayed in the room & went to AP for another Caesar salad w/chicken. We all had the burger platter with ice cream at BB.

COST: $59.12
6 CS

DINNER:
GF Cafe: 2
We tried GFC on our last trip & while the food was good the service was terrible but after reading the good reports here I decided it had to be an off day & we tried it again. We encountered the same problems. Long delay in seating, long delay for beverages & long delay for food. From the time we arrived until we left 3 1/2 hours had passed. Too long for us. Food was good though no complaints. ME & DD17 both ordered the penne w/shrimp I had the crab cake app & she the french onion soup. DH ordered the caesar salad & Prime Rib. Ds13 chicken soup & hamburger. DD10 KM grapes & cheese, hamburger & worms in dirt. Ds9 pasta w/butter. I tried the soup & it was fabulous. crab cakes were slightly dry but tasty. DH liked his steak. DS soup was missing the chicken. I ordered the fondue for dessert, DH & DD17 ordered the choc. mousse cake & both enjoyed it.

COST: $150.54
4 TS
DDE: $5.77
OOP: $29.81

(I should mention here that every receipt using the DDE automatically added 18% gratuity I wouldn't have left that much here but we wanted to get going)

6/2
LUNCH:
Electric Umbrella 2
2 hamburger platters
3 chicken strip platters
1 roast beef sandwich
3 choc. chip cookies
3 sugar free brownies
Okay for counter service

COST:$70.96
6 CS

DINNER:
Kona Cafe 5
Except for too much food, this was once again the best meal of the week. Server was wonderful & told us upfront all drinks including non-alcoholic specialty drinks were included. He did state that a recent change is children do not get an appetizer with their meal. At this point I didn't care. There is plenty to share with your own family & the family at the next table & still have leftovers. I didn't receive a copy of the receipt when I asked but I remember what we ordered & saw the total before it was taken.
DH caesar salad (he said this one was better than GFC) filet, Torte. ME pot stickers, Teriyaki steak, cheesecake, DD17 pot stickers & Mahi Mahi, torte. DS13 chicken soup, 2 hot dogs (wasn't hungry) kiddie cone. DD10 caesar salad, pan asian pasta, kiddie cone. DS9 salad, pasta w/meatball, kiddie cone.

COST: $240.00
6 TS
DDE: $1.44
OOP: $8.26

6/3
LUNCH/BREAKFAST:
Artist palatte
croissant sandwich, kids breakfast waffle platter, pepperoni flatbread, turkey caesar sandwich, chicken strip meal, danish, choc. cake, 2 hot choc. 2 orange juice, 2 cokes, 1 powerade, 1 key lime pie.

COST: $58.04
5 CS

TOTALS:

TS $866
CS $278
S $ 81
$1255

DP COST: $803
OOP: $49 (not including drinks)
Net savings:$373

Now if I remove all the snacks, dessert & apps we wouldn't normally order our savings drops to $117.

Thoughts on DP:

I've wanted to try the plan & glad we did and without losing money but I probably would not do it again next year as my DS9 will be considered an adult & any savings this time would be lost on our next visit. My children loved the plan especially the snack credits. I also have a bunch of pictures that I will post on the photo sticky.

If you have any further questions, ask away.

Joyce

Looks like you went to some nice restaurants. (With the exception of Rainforest Cafe, which we hate also)

Thanks for posting the reviews. It sounds like you had a great trip. Would couples without children feel out of place at Ohanas? Is it family style seating? We're empty nesters and I wouldn't mind sitting with other families (in fact, I think it would be fun!).

Thanks for your reviews!

SLM, you do not sit with other people at 'Ohana; you have your own table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter